[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHTF: Levels of Brown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 17

File: download (4).jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
13KB, 259x194px
Basically a free-for-all SHTF thread. Post whatever, but here's a general theme:

Hey, outists. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I haven't seen a thread on it specifically. I want to know how you'd rate scenarios, both in equipment, environments, and varying levels of bad things.

Zones include (but are not limited to):
City
Suburbs
Rural
Wilderness

Environments include (but are not limited to):
Tundra
Woodland
Forest
Jungle
Desert
Plains
Hills
Mountains

Disasters include (but are not limited to):
Hurricane
Flood
Tornado
Wildfire
Volcano
Economic collapse
Enemy invasion
Zombies (for posterity)
TEOTWAWKI

Equipment is total FFA (but let's keep it realistic in terms of the average individual's budget & accessibility)

Mix & Match to give me your WORST CASE SCENARIOS vs. BEST CASE SCENARIOS
>>
Lots to consider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjh_iEQ_7cw
>>
>>967233
Worst case seems pretty obvious.

Big City
Desert
TEOTWAWKI

Survivable, but solely dependent on whatever equipment you have. Water and food would be totally scarce, save for whatever cacti are at your disposal. Basically Mad Max
>>
>>967241
Is that a series?
>>
File: IMG_0089.jpg (340KB, 1745x953px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0089.jpg
340KB, 1745x953px
>>967233
For cities and suburban areas in general, and for any disaster in which some people will be permanently be abandoning their vehicles, try to chose your vehicle to be as general as possible. There is no need to have a tacticool Hummer H2 with armor plating. Something such as a mail truck or sedan will be much less noticeable. This also carries the benefit of being able to strip other cars/trucks of the same model for parts, since there will be a higher chance of them sitting around.
>>
>>967233
In full SHTF, hospitals become deathtraps, for a number of reasons. Medical supplies can be found in veterinary offices and dental clinics.
>>
>>967325
The Hummer H2 shares all of its important drivetrain parts with other GM vehicles, like the Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado etc.
>>
>>967233
Equipment-wise, in a real catastrophy in which existing society and governing structures cannot cope, the following will be useless:
1. internet
2. centralized electrcity
3. by extension bitcoins
4. in the near term: GPS and the like

I would add to your list the Carrington Event, which while manageable by society will cause lot of trouble with anything electric. Most cars would be dead on water.
>>
>>967241
Google maps is great for finding locations that are long abandoned.

But something thats been recently abandoned can't be spotted on google maps.

Searching google and keeping an eye out in newspapers for businesses that shut down in your area might help.

Everyone here knows by now to avoid hospitals, supermarkets etc and to go directly to veterinary clinics, food importers/distributors. Basically go to suppliers and avoid retailers.

If the descent/breakdown is slow, these places will be empty anyway.
If its fast, the majority places you plan to hit will likely be already compromised.
Between rioters/police blockades in the first few days/weeks, and the refugees later, very little will be left untouched unless its well out of the way.

And depending on the country and culture, there might never be a mass exodus at all.

My family is in the food manufacturing, import and distribution business.
We have contingency plans to keep the plant, farms, and logistics working incase of a disaster such as an earthquake, or a breakdown of utilities.
Generators and PV panels for power, boreholes for water, and a small biodiesel refinery to power trucks and generators, and dozens of assembly points for employees.

Most of it we got for tax reasons.
Most larger businesses here have contingency plans aswell.
>>
File: IMG_4926.jpg (144KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4926.jpg
144KB, 500x670px
>>967351
>I would add to your list the Carrington Event, which while manageable by society will cause lot of trouble with anything electric. Most cars would be dead on water.

This is the one SHTF event that is guaranteed to happen.

Also, upon years of careful consideration I believe I've found the best all round SHTF vehicle.

Its the Series LandRover and I can prove it if anyone wants to fite me.
>>
>>967233
Realist SHTF:

Power outage (2 weeks max)
No more running water (4 weeks max)
Local shortage of food (1 week max)
Worldwide famine/global starvation (3 to 5 years)

Buy a plot in the country and make the soil fertile.
>>
>>967373
See:
http://pastebin.com/FhKXrmYh
>>
>>968637
Two threads in /out/ and at least one on /k/ shilling this pastebin. Why? It's only a week old, what gives this any sort of credibility?
>>
>>967373
Food supply 1 week? Nigga r u retarded? You should have 4x that in your regular pantry not even your stores.

>>967351
>cartington event frying cars
This is utter bullshit but everyone beleives it. It may or may not fry your alternator depending on the direction it hits from. Other than that your car doesn't have enough length or coil of wire to be effected.

Power lines will definitely go down they are giant sky facing antennas. But the average car will probably not fry unless the alternator coil is facing the wave.
>>
>>968770
I would not be so sure. Modern cars can have 1 km+ of wiring in a volume of a few cubic m. The chassis is not metal throughout.
>>
>>968834
But a metal chasis will not transmit anything. And non coiled wire shorter than about 12 feet will not transmit anything that wouldn't fry us right out.

Long line transmissions get fried because they are facing it. Coiled wire transistors can get fried but really its motors and alternatora that will get fried, but only depending on the coil relative to the wave.

Do some basic research. Unless you are driving some super modern spaceship car it probably won't get fried. But for some reason prople like u believe they will.

A second year college physics class can teach you all about it.
>>
>>967340
And sucks just as good.
>>
>>968843
Ignition coils are...coiled.
>>
>>968850
Not like a motor. And like i said it depends on the direction. A basic sophmore level physics class should clear this up.
>>
>>968854
They are both induction coils.
>>
>>968854
A Hanes manual might clear this up.
>>
What is SHTF? What is this entire thread about?
>>
>>968858
Google much?
>>
>>968856
Wrap a wire around a nail once and then around another nail 100 times then do some expirements.

Nigger technically my toilet bowl seat is an induction coil. And my door. And all the piping in major cities. But that shit aint going to blow up.

Nigger you need to re evaluate dictionary words and definitely think about what the carrington did past the stratosphere.

Giant coils like alternators+ yea they gonna get hit but you better check your vector algebra, bra.

This is literally intro to eltromechanics teir.
>>
>>968857
I can and have zapped many coils for the fun of it when i was an electrician and also studying physics.

Your a fucking moron.
>>
File: justwalkaway.jpg (21KB, 478x253px) Image search: [Google]
justwalkaway.jpg
21KB, 478x253px
Trying to gather meaningful supplies for a TEOTWAWKI level event is pretty pointless. Pic related. It's best to learn skills that can't be taken away from you.

Looters will eventually show up dressed as law enforcement officers, and LEO's will show up as looters.

Then there's the issue of fire, accidental and intentional. Better pack away your own personal fire department.

Perhaps most worrying is when your community eventually goes off the political deep-end, and starts a kangaroo court to hang you evil hoarders from lamp posts.

Prepping is a juvenile power fantasy that helps kill time, but taken to it's logical end it quickly becomes hopeless.

>t. former prepper...wtf do I do with all this shit now?
>>
>>968859
I see, thanks
>>
>>968843
> metal chassis will not transmit anything

No, it doesn't, and also does not act as Faraday cage to mute the effects of the EMP.

Forget about the alternator. If the electronics in the car get fried, the car is toast, unless you drive some shit from the 70s.

Most modern (say newer than 25 yrs) cars have ECUs which are critical to the car functioning as well as not shielded for big EMP.
>>
>>967233
I was in the middle of many hurricanes living in florida over the years. That's hardly a SHTF. If you're not retarded and don't live in a flood plain...
>>
http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html
>>
Some scenarios are impossible to prepare for, basically the best scenario would be going into the wilderness and surviving until you break a leg, get an infection, or your teeth fall out. Personally I prefer suicide to those alternatives, although I do carry a go bag with multiple forms of fire starters, a metal pan with a lid, a hatchet, some rope, wet wipes, basic medical supplies, etc. It's enough to last me a few months and if it's truly an end of the world situation I will simply kill myself when my supplies are depleted. Better than a slow, lingering death.
>>
>>967233
Best idea I can think of is to make as many friends as possible and have a community plan in place so that you can avoid the worst breakdowns in society.

Food warehouses aren't going to be good places to go as most people are already cognizant that these places exist. A better alternative is to look for those places like hardware stores or other retailers where they have some snack foods available and then look to find if there are any dry goods in like a cafeteria.

Anything that is in a walk-in freezer or fridge is going to be bad.

Another concern should also be that most warehouse scale freezers and fridges run off of anhydrous ammonia which may fail during a power outage causing giant clouds of poisonous gas to rain down.
>>
>>968869

I can take your life. So tech I am taking away your skills too. Or chop your hands off.
>>
In a bad situation a lot of places would get looted and it may not even be worth going out our trying to travel since you just get shot/robbed.
>>
I'm gonna ask here because the knife thread ignored me and I'm mildly salty over it, but prepers love knives.

I'm gonna be making a knife out of a pre-tempered blank, wanting suggestions on what handle materials to use, what sheath, etc. as well as any other tips you may have right now I'm planning to use osage orange for the handle, but I'm open to suggestions, I'm planning for this to be my main knife, for camping or for shtf, if it ever happens.
>>
>>969168
Micarta handles. Kydex or leather sheath for preference. With the handles and the sheath, don't make them any larger than they need to be.
>>
>>969174
alright I'll look into micarta, comes in a lot of colors and seems like it will last a long time, but so will wood if I take care of it, I've seen some combination sheaths with kydex and leather before, you think that's a good idea or should I go all in either one?
>>
>>969174

Pretty much this. Look up sheaths and knife handles on youtube. Besides getting a visual aid, the creator tends to give tips and tricks. Also seeing all these dif sheaths or handles, will allow you to see dif designs, maybe some one does a build that you yourself would of never though of (Like my friend has a leather sheath that is on a dangler. It has a piece of velcro on the back, he sewn velcro to his /out/ pants too. So when he wants, he can velcro it on, make it so it does not bounce a lot)
>>
>>968869
>but taken to it's logical end it quickly becomes hopeless.
I'm going to disagree with that because it seems as though the point you're trying to make is essentially "things could go bad, so don't try. Not trying is the first step to not failing"
>>
>>969227

I think you should always try, and have sensible preps on hand, appropriate for the sort of natural disasters that happen in your part of the world.

But preparing for a true SHTF scenario where you're stuck in your neighborhood for over a month without access to food and water? Or you have to grab the BOB and head for the hills?

Unless there's a functioning police entity of some sort, who seizes your supplies (and maybe your daughter) and forces you to starve peacefully in your home...you're going to have to do some pretty despicable shit to survive, and not become prey. Developing a taste for long pig might be in order.

I'm starting to think the wackos who only prep with guns and bullets, are the only ones who have it truly figured out.
>>
>>967233
I'll do one that interests me.

urban/forest/earthquake&tsunami
i.e. cascadia earthquake scenario

so earthquake has taken out 50% of buildings and all electricity and most communications. let's say it hit at 4pm. a lot of people in the streets. 30 minutes later the tsunami hits and a large number of people are killed. You managed to get to the top of a small building and night is setting in. To top it off it's april and it's raining.

I think this would be challenging. You would pretty much have what you were carrying. wallet, let's say you had a basic SAK in your picket, umbrella, and light clothes with runners. Let's say your apartment is demolished but you are able to scavenge out a few things.

I think keeping dry and warm would be tough here. Water would be collectable from rain. food would be challenging but being on the coast, you should be able to collect seafood and scavenge or barter for other things. equipment would be somewhat hard to find but probably a lot of useful debris would wash up. Having a bike would be a godsend and something with a cart would be excellent.
raincoats and ponchos would be at a premium as would fishing gear. warm blankets and good solid fire starting methods would greatly help. I'd favour a zippo or ronson type lighter in this situation because once you find a can of paint thinner you can refill your lighter as needed over the probably several months of rough living.
I think a risk you run is with possible chemical contamination with sea life and for that reason it might be dicey to scavenge beach food. I think human waste would become a mounting problem and the onset of disease after a week or two might be something to watch out for. Having a group in this scenario to guard your living space and supplies and back you up would be critical.
>>
>>967233
The environments is so fucking vague, the conditions of the woods in Maine are drastically different than what you'd encounter in Alabama

The plains in Texas are drastically different than the plains in east Montana.

With mountains are we talking cascades or Catskill in terms of size?

C'mon
>>
>>968969
That'll only happen if the loop is broken though, that systems are sealed and don't just pop

On top of that they use a drastically smaller amount of gas than you would think, you'd basically have to suck on the actually busted part of the system to die from inhalation
>>
>>970232
I'm no prepper nor survival guru but if you land in that scenario, is not your best option to collect a bag of some kind, few containers of water, food if you can, and just head the hell out of there to close-by areas not impacted.

After tsunami there will not be much left. FEMA would probably kick in shortly but being a euro I am not familiar with their capacity or capabilities. The point is why insist in roughing it out in a pile of debris, unless you aim to help people around you? If it's just to guard some meaningless pile of stuff, why take the risk of diseases and looters?
>>
File: hi.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hi.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
not now stimpy, I'm playing apocalypse survival.
>>
>>967370
>>967370
Do tell more. How's it perfect?
>>
>>968869

You bring up a valid point, but I think you're just about as hard wrong as you can be.

Hoarders suck and their entire plan is to hide while other people fix their problems, which is obviously a terrible thing if you run out of preps before society fixes itself.

The place where I think your dead wrong. If you are seriously preparing for a TEOTWAWKI scenario then you already should be considering long term food (and salt, no one mentions salt in these threads). That requires land, and not "there's a 3 acre park in my sub division" amounts of land.

Personally I don't "prep" because frankly I have neither the time or money and if the happening happens I figure I will either find a way to live or I will die, I don't care much either way.

That said I keep enough hay on hand to last me a year after I run out of the current years hay, I have 6 months of grain in the barn, I got enough wood split to last me at least 5 years. I have my own breeding stock, I grow basically all my own veggies. I'm fairly certain that I could last a fairly decent stretch especially it happens in the spring, and what exactly is any looter going to do, confiscate my cattle? They couldn't catch them, much less transport them. In just one day I could make it almost impossible to get to my house by digging a trench with the backhoe and moundingthe dirt on my side then open it to the irrigation system which is fed directly by the river. Put a bunch of t posts slanted to poke nice holes in radiators and tires and suddenly you have a barrier that's good enough to keep most people out. Hell you could even put a line of round bales out and you have another easy to construct barrier.

It changes the entire equation from "how many potatoes can we steal" to "who's going to be the first man to get out of the truck swim the moat and climb over the berm then sprint through 300 yards of clearing to the house"
>>
>>971168
>what exactly is any looter going to do, confiscate my cattle? They couldn't catch them, much less transport them.

people stealing cattle isn't too uncommon
>>
>>971168
bro, in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, me and my crew aren't showing up to steal your potatoes. we're coming to put your head on a spike and take over your farm.

it's gonna take a lot more than a moat to keep away roving bands of heavily-armed men who haven't eaten or screwed anything for a week.
>>
>>971187

Perhaps the 30 miles to the nearest town would play into that.

Or the 5 brothers and assorted other people who would be there with me all armed to the teeth.

Or the fact you have to clear 300 yards of open ground after you get over the berm.

Personally, I havent missed a coyote in years, and I would bet a fair heap of money that you couldn't run faster than one.

I applaud your courage, but no one is stupid enough to try run that far in the open with 20 guns on him, even if hes starving. It's not a game of take the castle, its "can I gain more from taking this than I will lose" and the answer is almost always no against entrenched people unless you have a lot of things that roving bands of half starved men don't have. Otherwise your only option is to sit on the outskirts like jackals waiting to cut out supplies or pick us off one by one, and I would put my money on the man on top of the silo before I ever put my money on the man on the ground.

>>971174

>people stealing cattle isn't too uncommon

People stealing cattle by catching them by hand before dragging them across a river to a trailer is.

the biggest problem would be people picking them off then stealing whatever meat the can get away with, but I am fairly confident that I am isolated enough to not worry about that.
>>
File: IMG_4641.jpg (61KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4641.jpg
61KB, 640x445px
>>970651
I used to have a diesel SIII.

Its mechanically simple and anybody with a manual can work on it.
Its good off road but many 4x4s are.

Sure it leaks oil, but I its built to such loose toleances that it may not even matter.
The drain and fill plugs for the gearbox were corroded shut during the 7 years I had it. There was very little oil in the gearbox and it still worked as it should.

The gearing is also very low. 60km/hr is almost top speed.
This means if you have to run over a "herd of zombies", their momentum will not slow down your car and stall the engine.

The front axle sits forward on the chassis, placing the tire close to the front bumper.
So if you knock down a "zombie", the body will not bounce up and get stuck between the bumper and the wheel.

The radiator on the Series models is backed into the hood a good 15" from the start of the fenders.
Less chance of damage in the event of a crash or if you need to push something out of the way.
On the SIII, the headlights are on the front of the fender, but on the older ones they are close to the radiator and therefore more shielded from potential damage.

The body is flat with nothing to grab on to. Even the handles are receded onto the door and impossible for someone from the outside to open when the vehicle is moving.

The windshield is small flat, and 90 degrees which makes it difficult for somebody to throw something at it from both the ground or above.
If someone manages to get on the roof or the hood, they cannot just step on the windshield to break it.

Note receded door handles and air intake port on image.
>>
File: IMG_4870.jpg (112KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4870.jpg
112KB, 640x853px
>>971332

The air cleaner is on the side of the engine close to the rear, with lots of airflow from underneath.
This is good because if the front of your vehicle gets hit with a molotov, you will be still be getting at least a bit of airflow unlike on normal cars.

Most of the body is aluminum and can be beat back into shape with a 2x4.
The doors dont even have door cards. The lock is similar to a house one, and there is no window winding mechanism.

Some have a PTO. I don't know if mine did or not.

You could potentially add some bullet resistance by using packed sand or something similar. There are
>>
>>971333
>Some have a PTO. I don't know if mine did or not

How do you miss a pto?
>>
>>971187

>me and my crew

Juvenile power fantasies
>>
>>971168
The beauty of a siege is the refuge that one depends on then becomes their prison.

Remember, in that world there is no red and blues racing to save yo bacon.
>>
>>972104

The beauty of that prison is that it is well stocked and can almost assuredly outlast a group of half starved men.

The down side of course is that you are loosing essential productive time, but I suppose the women folk could be doing something while they were bunkered down, but you are still missing out on field time, which would be the most important.
>>
File: a9ftuuauawcf1kouju4n.png (454KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
a9ftuuauawcf1kouju4n.png
454KB, 800x450px
>>972329

The beauty of that prison is that it is highly flammable.
>>
>>967351
Just get a car with a distributor and you're fine in that situation
>>
File: Land_Rover_Defender.jpg (242KB, 1500x1017px) Image search: [Google]
Land_Rover_Defender.jpg
242KB, 1500x1017px
>>968740
I might have shared the link in a few prepping related threads here and there, but I didn't make any threads about it myself.

It was something I've been writing for personal use, but after discussing the Standard Operating Procedure and talking about threat analysis, a few people asked me to translate it, which I did.

I've been writing and adding more and more to it. It has actually taken over/replaced part of my personal plan (in dutch) because it's a good way to have a some what peer reviewed result in the end.

>what gives it any sort of credibility?
The credibility is in the quality. At least, that what I'm trying to achieve here. It started out as a personal plan, some written guidelines, that were never to be shared. So I always only add info that is something I believe in myself as to being the best course of action, or things that I researched myself, and found out to being true, or of value to the prepper. I'm not trying to scare people, meme people or bullshit people. I keep away from military doctrines and practices, and I have an allergy for military abbreviations. My intention always has been to write something you could print out and give to a complete noob that is trying to get in to prepping but doesn't know where to start.

I try to have it only contains things that are to the point, relevant and easy to grasp or see the value of it. I try not to focus on causes, but more on the impact of SHTF. There are hundreds of possible causes but the impacts are gonna be roughly the same. Same reason I don't dive in to EMP or other events because there is too much discussion about the predicted severity of such event.

You are the one that gives it credit. You can also give me feedback, which I'll take by heart and try to implement it if I see the value of it.

>>971332
Series vehicles can also be crank started when the battery dies or whatever.

Pic related, muh diccc
>>
File: quonset-hut.jpg (25KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
quonset-hut.jpg
25KB, 350x233px
>>973082

>setting fire to metal buildings with flaming arrows

Good luck.
>>
>>973582

>fire wood
>grain
>live stock
>veggies
>other great stuff
>all in a metal building

That's great, anon! Sounds like you have it all figured out, no way what's left of the US Army will ever stop by to resupply, along with a little R&R with your women folk.
>>
>>973621

>I'll do it
>well me and my crew will do it
>well the US Army will do it

I'm sure they have me and every other farm in the country on a list of top priorities to assault as soon as SHTF.

I hope they do, it will be mighty comfy having the full protection of the US Army while the rest of the country gets raped by looters. 100% worthwhile trade off if you ask me.
>>
I got to learn how to use these strikers n flint, and make booze next. Mostly because bored. any tips?
>>
File: generalbuttnaked.jpg (70KB, 603x302px) Image search: [Google]
generalbuttnaked.jpg
70KB, 603x302px
>>974096

>SHTF
>command has disintegrated
>no logistics, no pay, base running out of food
>confusion
>bored as fuck, plenty of cutting edge hardware
>weapons, ammo, explosives
>hungry and horny
>YOLO

You remind me of one of those martial arts dweebs who says "okay now come at me like THIS" so they can show off a move. Then they get pissed off when you do something unexpected.

You have no chance.
>>
we all know where this is headed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w61HI9ewCo
>>
>>974109
>strikers and flint
Just store a case of lighters at home. Just because cavemen used them, doesn't mean we need to go back to that technology when the balloon goes up. If you want something long-lasting for bugging-out, buy a quality ferrocerium rod. But if your plan is to bug-out innawoods as soon as SHTF, you're gonna be dead within a week. Bugging-in should be your primary plan where you try to ride it out for as long as possible using your food storage and other preps. Only when those are gone or your house becomes uninhabitable you should get out.

Making booze requires lots of fruit, grain, corn or processed sugars, and clean water. I think you'd be much better off with just eating those things in a SHTF situation. You'd need to have your priorities squared away for a long way before you should consider making booze for personal use or barter. Like a few months of food and water storage, plenty of medical and camping gear. See >>968637
>>
>>974748
the only thing left really is medical.I went looking for packs of lighters yesterday. I guess I need some gauze and a few rubbing alcohol. can you buy penicillin? lol I got a big thing of yeast. got tons of camping/fishing gear. I could use a medical guide.
>>
>>974750
Since you clearly have a hard time with reading comprehension, I copied some stuff

==Medical Gear and Medication==
This section covers important medications you should have on hand, and some pointers that should get you on the right way when it comes to treating severe trauma that could cause a quick but preventable death. As stated in the prioritization above, medication and medical gear are one of the first things to focus on after building your food supply.

-OTC Medication (Always buy generic, except for Advil or other fast-acting formulas)
1. Aspirin (Pain relief, fever reduction, anti-inflammatory, blood thinner)
2. Ibuprofen (Pain relief, anti-inflammatory, headaches)
3. NSAIDs/Diclofenac (Pain relief, Anti-inflammatory)
4. Acetaminophen & Naproxen (Pain relief, fever reduction)
5. Antibiotic pills (OTC or fish MOX, depends on laws & regulation)
6. Antibiotic ointments (Neosporin etc.)
4. OTC Diarrhea medicine (Imodium)
5. Drowsy and non-drowsy anti-histamines (Claritin, Benadryl)
6. Hydrocortisone cream
7. Activated Charcoal against ingested toxic substances
8. ORS rehydration powder/Gatorade powder

-Medical items
1. Plenty of gauze, wraps, bandages to treat everyday cuts and scrapes
2. Nitrile gloves, EMT scissors
3. Betadine solution
4. Rubbing Alcohol
5. Chlorhexidine (0.03-0.08% solution for oral hygiene, 0.2-0.4% for human skin disinfection)
>>
>>974750
-Trauma care items
1. Genuine CAT Tourniquet or SOF-T Wide (RATS TQ is shit)
2. CombatGauze
3. Israeli emergency bandages
These items are useless if you have never spent any time familiarizing yourself with them. As soon as someone becomes hurt to the point they need these items (gun shot, severe bleeding) you don't have the time to read or look up how to use these. Anyone can save a life using a tourniquet after learning once how to use them, which is very easy.
Applying emergency bandages and wound-packing a blood squirting hole might be something you'd want to receive real-world training in. Even if you don't have the money or time to spare for these trainings, carrying these items, practicing at home and learning by watching videos (Skinnymedic has great content), you'll be better prepared than most people around you.
Skinnymedic videos:
Israeli Bandages https://youtu.be/GTtfEgAt6KY
How to apply a TQ https://youtu.be/oa6R-wLbaW4
How to use your IFAK https://youtu.be/w6pQV-CE4Fw

-FAKE TOURNIQUETS and the RATS
NEVER buy fake tourniquets. They are unsafe because they are not reliable! They tend to break when applying the required amount of pressure to stop the bleeding or they snag loose once applied. Genuine tourniquets can easily run up to 30 dollars each, which sucks, I know. But buying fake tourniquets are a bigger waste of money and a source of trouble, since they can't be relied on for stopping the blood flow adequately and are thus a great way to have a patient die in your arms.
Another popular tourniquet is the RATS TQ. It's very easy to apply it improperly, which can cause a limited form of compression syndrome in the muscles. It's the same reason why you should never improvise a tourniquet from an extension cord or other wire. As with the CAT tourniquet, there are also fake RATS TQ's.
>>
>>974750
oh, and I need aspirin, cold syrup, benadryl , I found some dog repellent. just bored I guess.
>>
thanks.
>>
I ordered.

rubbing alcohol 32oz
pottasium lodine 180 pills
gauze wraps 12 rolls
gauze patches 2*25

about $25
>>
>>974775
Don't forget a few Israeli pressure bandages, they are one of the best singular things to have, trauma wise. Also usable as an improvised TQ and stuff
>>
>>974778
starting to feel pretty prepared. unless I build a shelter our something.
>>
>>974784
Might want to acquire a small AM/FM transistor radio on 2xAA batteries and a good LED flashlight (Fenix, Olight, Nitecore that kind of quality)
>>
>>974790
good idea :) i got one of those emergency scanner things.
>>
>>974793
A Baofeng? You don't know what you have? Do you know how to use it? Did you program it with local frequencies + MURS, GMRS, FRS or LPD/PMR for Europe? When SHTF it's way too late to learn how to use these. Baofengs can be a bitch.

If it's just any normal battery powered AM/FM radio that's fine.

For the flashlights I personally prefer those that can accept 18650 lithiums for daily use and 2X non-rechargeable CR123 for low temperature and backup batteries, or 1x 14500 and alkaline AA
>>
The most common means if death will probably be other people; if you want to survive you gotta separate yourself and hope the random group you see out in the middle of nowhere isn't a complete savage and just leaves you alone for both of the parties' good.
>>
>>974809
Honestly the idea of living alone sounds like a sure fire way to end up dead, especially if you want any chance of rebuilding after the collapse.

A random loner showing up says to me one of two things, either he is a psycho that wanted to live alone, in which case you are a potential threat and I don't trust you, or you are a psycho who got kicked out your group and now your alone. Either way I'm not going to give you the warmest of welcomes.
>>
>>974818
This tbqh

If your plan is some Red Dawn type of bug-out where you trek into the wild /out/ with just a backpack, you're planning to die, unless you really know what you're doing and you have done it for more than a week before
>>
>>974173
>You have no chance.

Then no one has any chance. I'm sure an army of 1.4 (with a third of those doing so from across the world) million will rule a country of 315 million with an iron fist. I guess it's time to start building a bunk house because the entire occupying force of one man for every 2.5 square miles is going to straight past every other farm in the country to come way out to my place (even though logistics are shot) to rape my dog and live in my Quonset.

Sure there's always a chance that it COULD happen, but there is also a chance that every volcano in the world will go off at once. I'm not particularly worried about either.

And this whole argument stems from you refusing to acknowledge that isolation is one of the biggest defences you can have when SHTF.
>>
>>974748
>Making booze requires lots of fruit, grain, corn or processed sugars, and clean water. I think you'd be much better off with just eating those things in a SHTF situation.

Just gonna throw this out there, why not dry out the mash and feed it to livestock pee eat it yourself?

It's already an extremely common practice with current distillery byproducts.
>>
Some refreshing info in this thread, good job guys
>>
>>974865
It's still wasting a primary food source (corn, grain) to make a luxury food item. Sure people would pay dearly for a drink in the long run when the readily available alcohol has been drank. But you'd still have to survive the apocalypse yourself up until this point first before this becomes an issue. To survive you need to eat. You can eat foods directly made from grain or corn. But that gets boring, so you should store pasta and canned goods as well. So just store food if you want a filled stomach

What are you planning? Building or farming a grainstock, distilling hooch and feeding yourself on the trades of the alcohol? Just save yourself the hassle of making liquor and save yourself from the interaction with people that need alcohol to live. Those people are dangerous when they don't get what they want. If you want alcohol for barter, just buy cheap liquor.

Feeding the mash to livestock just gives it a little bit better return of your investment (wasted food).
No way on earth will you consistently produce enough dried mash like the distilleries do to only feed this to the livestock you have. You'll have to feed grain and corn to them in the meantime. Which you can better put in your own mouth instead of the cows'. Except when you are able to grow a surplus of foods that would allow you to do this. Which takes a lot of farming....

You can much better just keep the moonshinin' as an afterthough once the apocalypse happens (and once you survive it) to get into once you find a way to produce more grain or corn than you'd need for consumption.

Doesn't mean it's a bad plan, just don't ever lean on it as your primary source of survival. You'd have to produce and sell too much to survive on. And then the drunks would probably just kill you anyway for a drink eventually.
>>
trade that is an interesting idea, assuming a bunch of guys don't pull up and take everything. what could you trade?
>>
>>974960
cheap alcohol
tobacco
Medical skills, electrical skills
information
Not much more
>>
>>974980
thats pretty good.
>>
>>974984
Information = mainly weather reports from weather satellites and Useful info on shortwave, AM or ham.

Basically food for free, if you could trade it. Otherwise very useful for yourself anyway
>>
well there is a lot of stuff to get. my wallets dying. :)
>>
File: hellisotherpeople.jpg (104KB, 800x424px) Image search: [Google]
hellisotherpeople.jpg
104KB, 800x424px
>>974860
>Then no one has any chance.

That's the point. The one and ONLY real threat in a TEOTWAWKI situation is eachother.

Any student of history knows there's no way to prepare for the fucked up shit we will do to each other, just to buy a little more time, a couple of extra meals, a "wife" for the night, or a stay of execution from the local warlord.

That's what prepping would really be about, if it was based in reality. But not much you can do on that point, except become some sort of mass murderer psycho...maybe take an extended vacation with a group of buddies to Somalia, see what sort of shit you can stir up.

But keep stockpiling beans and lighters and band-aids and shit, if it makes you feel better. Remember to date everything, throw it all out at expiration and buy it all over again.
>>
>>975008
pretty sure someones gonna take it all, but it's nice to pretend. for a low intensity shtf, were everybody behaves it would be great. In a real shitstorm it would be pointless.
>>
>>974173
just stopping by this thread to tell you how retarded you are.

70%+ of the military is support. glorified wrench spinners and clerks who take their M-4 to the range maybe twice a year. even the other 30% who are actually designated "combat" positions are things like engineers, drivers, and various other forms of push button soldier.

more importantly, that "cutting edge hardware" is designed to operate at the very limits of its engineering. our helicopters shake themselves apart, a tank requires almost as many hours of maintenance as it gets operation, a jet takes a full 12 man crew working around the clock just to keep in the air and even THEN they still get deadlined due to lack of parts. le epig cawadoody warfighter is just the tip of a huge logistics pyramid that absolutely collapses when you pull out just a few guys from the bottom.
>>
I've gone through a hurricane. It wasn't that bad. Lot of trees knocked over. power back in 9 hours our so. couple tornadoes. driving 15 miles to the store around fallen trees n stuff. people trying to break into the vehicle with me in it. stuff like that.
>>
>>975025
it took no time for the gangs of pillagers to form though. lol
>>
>>975027
in a really balls to the wall, they would have broke a window. I guess.
>>
File: jusprimaenoctis.jpg (154KB, 1000x679px) Image search: [Google]
jusprimaenoctis.jpg
154KB, 1000x679px
>>975018

Yes, but the merest leftovers of all this working gear, will completely demolish some /out/ists playing Red Dawn in their quonset hut. And this already assumes you know how to make an autosear, and some IED's from anfo and roofing nails.

What do you suppose the pointy tip of local, state and federal government will do when things fall apart? They'll just go home and become normal people like the rest of us? They'll abandon their lifelong occupations, they'll instead produce goods and items of value, and peacefully trade?

No, they will continue to "protect" us and demand payment, on their terms. In the case of soldiers they will naturally go out and forage from the local population, just like they have the past 10,000 years.
>>
>>975043
ah, maybe weve seen to many movies. maybe it wouldn't be that bad. you ever seen threads?
>>
>>975060
but life is boring so i guess i will learn how to farm and make booze.
>>
>>971245

I applaud your confidence, but you're missing something here.

You've essentially created a perfect blind spot with your berm that outsiders can use as cover while they snipe at you all day.

No one is going to be dumb enough to charge your house human wave style.

Also does this moat/berm combo encircle your entire property?
>>
>>975527
To be fair, he is right. 300 yards is not very far especially with a rifle, I imagine there are a fair few people that could easily plink accurate rounds at you all day from that range. The berm while a good idea may come round to bite you in the ass.

What happens when you have 4-5 guys on the outside of your berm, effectively keeping you inside the house. They can easily move and reposition, meaning you will likely not know where the next shot will come from (at least if they have any common sense)

In addition 30 miles to the nearest town isn't actually that far, you could make that in two days hell, if your dedicated I've walked that in one for a charity hike.

I think you are greatly overestimating your position because even someone with the most basic of combat strategies can easily pin you and likely defeat you.
>>
>>975617
>>975527

You're not wrong, the berm would provide cover. The whole idea of it is that if your above it can see over it no problem. I got an old brick silo that you can see the whole property from the top of, so the cover provided is negligible.

The berm wouldn't be around the whole property, the south and east sides are already covered by a creek that has dug the earth down a good 5-8 feet, which is enough to stop someone from driving over it which is the entire point. The north side has an irrigation ditch that can be opened to the creek with only a hundred feet of digging, and the only place there would be a significant berm would be connecting the creek to the north irrigation line. It obviously doesn't enclose everything, and while besieged you wouldn't be able to work out in the fields, but it would close in about 10 acres which would be enough to contain the cows at least.

Clearly it's not the best plan, but as I said I'm not a prepper, I have enough to keep my way of life going for a while and if the happening happens I will improvise unroll I die. This entire hypothetical is to demonstrate that having some form of preparation is better than the "never try, never fail" mentality of the other anon in this post.>>968869
>>
>>974173
>>974096

Hm. Turns out that when tinfoil touches tinfoil you get sparks.
>>
>>974809

Survivalist fantasy. Read some shit about what people have done in actual war zones and it's all about finding a group. Safety in numbers, my man. Trust is key though so probably best in a family group.

>The whole is greater than the sum of the parts
>>
>>974860

>isolation

So you have infinite supplies, then? You're going to need to interact with others at some point.
>>
>>975008
>Remember to date everything, throw it all out at expiration and buy it all over again.

The Costcos in the midwest must be raking it in from all of this bullshit.
>>
>>975018

>Manhattan project
>>
File: 1476287401144.jpg (512KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1476287401144.jpg
512KB, 2000x1333px
My fellow texanons, who else here is going straight to Big Bend when big league SHTF happens?
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 507x588px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 507x588px
>>967233
>best case scenario
Family survives initial disaster, maintain my sanity until dead or family dead
if family dead go to
>worst case scenario
All alone, a fair few guns, find high ground and release other people from the hell that has become planet Earth; use last bullet on myself and hope I make it to heaven for my sins.
>>
>>975854

Your plan is to head TOWARDS Mexico?

Fuck that. I'm headed towards the hill country.
>>
I think it's game Over guys
>>
I'm the suburbs, in a hilly wooded area of the deep South and the most likely thing here would be massive civil unrest due to the demographics of the county I'm in. I have a nature preserve nearby with a natural spring that nobody would think of to use as a water source and a patch of woods that would be naturally defended on 3 sides by a river, a large swamp on the opposite side and a giant grove of bramble bushes guarding another side where I would go for a month when it starts becoming unsafe to stay in my house.for shit to die down. If I some sort of early heads I would get out with my car but very quickly There would be no way to get out of here by car because of the layout of the area and how bad the traffic is. Going to pack 1.5 weeks of food. I'm planning on following the powerlines for about 30 miles south which is a two mile walk off the lines to where I will stay which all in all is a 4 day walk at the most. I'm probably going to die though because I have people to look after.
>>
>>974949
Most corn (field corn) is completely inedible to humans without massive amounts of processing. Don't worry about losing a primary food source if that's what's growing. They say 99% of all corn grown in the USA is completely indigestible until its been thru a factory

If course if you're growing sweet corn then you're golden. Time to store as much as possible.
>>
>>967351
GPS Satellites have a live span of at least 10 years.
>>
>>979178
>Sweet corn
>Golden
Ha I see what you did there.

>>979031
Sounds like a reasonable pan but I just have a couple of questions.

>When it starts becoming unsafe to stay at my house
If it's unsafe to stay at your house how do you think moving (on foot I'm assuming) is going to be any safer, would it not be more logical to go onto cold routine, don't use lights or anything that'll draw attention and dig in, at least then you could potentially have a greater supply cache to work off.

Secondly
>I'm going to pack 1.5weeks of food
Now ignoring the fact that you said you were going for a month, how much food will that be?
>>
File: Know_c58405_137611.png (62KB, 718x896px) Image search: [Google]
Know_c58405_137611.png
62KB, 718x896px
>>967233
>>
File: WaterBOB.jpg (253KB, 595x520px) Image search: [Google]
WaterBOB.jpg
253KB, 595x520px
>>967373
> Power outage (2 weeks max)

A generator will extend this for as long as gasoline and/or propane/natural gas is available.

On the other hand, a power outage in the winter anywhere in the northern half of the U.S. is unlivable, unless you’ve got a fireplace or wood burning stove and/or propane heaters.

> No more running water (4 weeks max)

No, much sooner than that.

I’m in suburban metro Detroit and if the water is cut-off, all I’ve got is 40 gals in my water heater.

> Local shortage of food (1 week max)

No, much longer than that. Most people have all kinda canned stuff in the kitchen cabinets, I could go probably a month on minimal rations with what’s in the house right now.
>>
I just realized I'm covered up in nuclear plants. how bad is this?
>>
>>967373
I liked storage cake batter for wife asspumper. Oregon cookie billion taco source of income for money bills. Yes I agree. I no die during phtf.
>>
>>968845
Sucks it good
>>
>>968858
Scooby-doo Hides in Tommy's Fuckhole
>>
>>968859
Nope, but Spooge a lot thanks.
>>
>>968864
In other news.

You're not using "Your" correctly. A freshman class english composition course will clear that up.
>>
>>974752
Medic here. None of those medications are really worth saving bar the antibiotics and maybe the D+V stuff. Stock up on fluclox.
>>
>>979031
>I'm the suburbs, in a hilly wooded area of the deep South
>the most likely thing here would be massive civil unrest due to the demographics of the county I'm in
Does that mean 'everyone gets pissed off because of all the blacks and gays'?
>>
I honestly don't even fucking care, if shit hits the fan I'm going innawoods with basic camping gear and a week's worth of food and if I can't live off of foraging and hunting I'll just die happily by the elements with a pack of wolves chewing on my frozen ass instead of by another man
>>
>>980359
No it's like that anyway.
>>
>>980375
ah come on guy, I'm bored. Get in the spirit.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.