[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Frozen-Tundra.jpg (340KB, 800x489px) Image search: [Google]
Frozen-Tundra.jpg
340KB, 800x489px
Okay I live in the middle of Alberta, and it gets really cold. At least -20° to -30° Celsius.
Despite this fact what are some good winter camping tips, so I don't freeze myself frozen solid.
>>
I was part of a failed winter camping adventure in Kananaskis, so I can give you a bit of advice of what not to do.

>If you're not experienced in winter camping, don't go alone, and preferably go with someone who knows a good amount about it already.
We were all experienced campers and hikers and we were in over our heads

>Check the weather report and prepare for the worst
We got caught in an unexpected snowstorm and temps dropped 15 or so degrees even though we did check.

>Leave early in the day if you're hiking in
The trails can be significantly worse than what you'd expect or are told.

>Bring water and high energy food
You'll burn a lot of calories in the cold and melting snow for water can get very old very quick.

>stay with your group and if things get hairy just know when to leave.
That's where my group really went wrong, we got over confident, got split up, and didn't acknowledge when it was time for us to go back because we were in real danger. The snowstorm was not on the weather report and we were not prepared for it, we should have turned back then, but we stubbornly decided that since we drove all the way out there we couldn't just abandon the trip.

Also just regular outdoorsmanship stuff like letting people know where you're going, how long you'll be gone, etc.
>>
>>965917
Thank very much, that's good advice.
>>
>>965917
I honestly can't imagine being in snowstorm outside in a tent. Brrr. That just gives me chills thinking about it.
>>
>>965930
We never actually got the tent set up. We had split up (a horrible decision I know) to try to get camp set up by sending the fastest hikers ahead to set up a fire and the tent. Instead the one group made it to the site and myself and one other dude ended up trapped at the bottom of a hill of crusted over snow. We found a big rock and stayed next to it huddled up all night eventually getting the smallest fire going. I have never been so cold in my life, and I have never had sober hallucinations in my life before or since. I genuinely believed that I was going to die that night.
>>
Glad to see you alive. That's crazy. Hmm well just enough to tell me it's probably not the best idea to do it, but I'm really tired of being cooped up inside though.
>>
>>965943
Honestly, I'd say just go front country car camping with a few experienced campers and be ready to gtfo if things get bad. My group was almost killed by over confidence in the back country. If you aren't experienced or don't have someone who is, just go front country, and bring lots of warm cozy things. The campsites are usually dead around now and it is beautiful outdoors around now. As long as you are within 100m of a vehicle you know will start and drive out, you're really not in any danger. I would heavily dissuade you from going backcountry in the cold though unless you have the gear, experience, and people.
>>
Yeah that's a good idea. At least I'll have a back up plan, and not risking my life. Thanks anon.
>>
File: tumblr_of64obbrdh1sqys5fo4_500.jpg (94KB, 454x514px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_of64obbrdh1sqys5fo4_500.jpg
94KB, 454x514px
i camp like this
>>
>>965955
Haha yeah, but I like sleeping outside. To me it looks like a hotel on wheels.
>>
>>965900
What are your plans? Are you staying in a tent? What will you be doing?
>>
>>965934
>We had split up (a horrible decision I know) to try to get camp set up by sending the fastest hikers ahead to set up a fire and the tent.

What made you think this was a good idea at the time? Perhaps you should buy an RV and retire that backpack.
>>
>>965934
Did you consider making a snow cave? If not, why not? Snow is a good insulator and will preserve you in a pinch. You do need a substantial amount to dig in though.
>>
>>965955
fuck m8 just looking at that bathroom I can smell the borax™ soap
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.