[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jeep Campin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

File: jeep-wrangler-yj-640x330.jpg (51KB, 640x330px) Image search: [Google]
jeep-wrangler-yj-640x330.jpg
51KB, 640x330px
Ive finally got my Jeep ready for innawoods mess. I am wanting to go camping with my jeep. Im looking for tips and storage options so that shit isnt flying all willy nilly while i am off road. I am also looking for good quality and decent price camp axes. i dont really need advice or help but i figured there might be some knowledge out there that could benefit me. So more or less general Jeep Camping Thread.
>>
>>965541

> dont really need advice or help but i figured there might be some knowledge out there that could benefit me

sounds like you do if you're asking 'hurr durr best quality and price camp axe'
>>
>>965543
I'm sorry you can't afford a jeep and I'm sure you belive in your Bear Grylls Gerber shit. I'm just looking for /out/ knowledge I'm not aware of. It beats the hell out of someone trolling from another board.
>>
File: jeep-img_0561.jpg (44KB, 480x344px) Image search: [Google]
jeep-img_0561.jpg
44KB, 480x344px
What I see most people do when they turn a smallish vehicle into a camper is build a plywood platform to put a mattress on and then either slide rubber-maids under it or just make a big honkin' drawer that slides out. Is the picture in your post your jeep or just something similar? Depending on the size, you're gonna have to yank out your passenger seat to make room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4M2Vfhdo0

This guy has a pretty nice setup, but his is more for long-term living rather than wilderness trips. For a cheap camp axe, I would recommend the Cold Steel Trail Boss. It's nothing especially nice, but it'll last you a good while and preform just fine.
>>
File: subaru_camper.jpg (598KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
subaru_camper.jpg
598KB, 1000x667px
>>965541
>>965597
Here's a better picture from a Subaru camper.
>>
if you can live out of a backpack for a week then you can camp in the Jeep with ease. You just need to whittle down your gear to fit in one or two bags. If you're bringing kayaks or bikes you're going to need a rack, or a bigger rig.
>>
File: Sl007.jpg (79KB, 1024x697px) Image search: [Google]
Sl007.jpg
79KB, 1024x697px
Estwing
>>
>>965598
As much as I enjoy the style, what if you need to get to the spare tire? Gina be a pain in the ass to get to it.

I car camped for a week last year in a Saab 9 3 sedan, and it was easy to do, I just moved the stuff from the trunk up into the driver's seat once I was settled in, then folded down the rear seats, and slept with my feet in the trunk and my torso on the folded-down rear seats. You don't need a bedframe or storage compartments, and those only block access to the spare tire, jack, jumper cables, etc.
>>
File: rear1.jpg (26KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
rear1.jpg
26KB, 400x255px
>>965857
Fair point, though if I'm not mistaken, most jeeps come with an external spare tire carrier.
>>
>>965862
Since the OP pic is a stock pic, I wasn't going to assume that, and that's not true of the Jeep Cherokee in the first pic with this platform setup (also not true of the suby in the second pic). Even with the Jeeps with external tire racks, it could still make it difficult to get to the jack and lug wrench.

I really do like those platform setups; I just wanted to point out that you have to think ahead. And while platforms help with organization, they can't get in the way, too. If I had an external tire rack and a hi-lift jack or something mounted to the outside of the car, I wouldn't be too worried.
>>
File: 18805285668_9ba04cede2_o.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
18805285668_9ba04cede2_o.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>965541
Get a hitch mount cargo carrier. For god's sake don't buy no overpriced gay yeti cooler to stick in it. Nosir, he-men don't need ice. It makes a nice table of sorts to put your Coleman two burner stove on. Take ur back seat out so you can haul more shit too. That's muh a Solo stove on ah pickanick table 5000 miles from nowhere :)
>>
>>965870
Yeah, I see what you're getting at. I just have a soft spot for those platform designs
;_;
>>
>>965597
XJ master race.
>>
>>965870
You can mode the XJ to have swing rack on the back for tire, gas can, jack and shovel or you can mount them up top.
>>
>>965552
>I'm sorry you can't afford a jeep
You sound like a pompous twat. You come asking advice and than say you don't really need advice...are you bipolar as while as autistic?

>>965836
Handle looks very uncomfortable.
>>
File: wrong.png (22KB, 139x141px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
22KB, 139x141px
>>965999
>Handle looks very uncomfortable.
WRONG
>>
>>965862
>most jeeps come with an external spare tire carrier.
Only Wranglers have that, not even close to most jeeps.
>>
>>966000
You'll discover how uncomfortable it is, if you ever use it outside, whilst swinging at hardwood. You'll feel the vibration through your whole arm and shoulder.
>>
File: IMGP0690.jpg (544KB, 888x1179px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0690.jpg
544KB, 888x1179px
>>966003
nægrœ I've used my Estwing for many jobs, big and small, and I find it t'riffic. Only pics of such I could find are when i was clearing/ensafening my camp spot so I chopped a couple limbs down and chopped a couple logs in half as well. Done it all with the Estwing and although it was heavier work than a hatchet is intended for, my hands were fine. Gloves are important though :)
>>
>>966002
Yeah, that's what I meant. I figured from OP's pic his was a wrangler as he never specified.
>>
File: IMG_2136.jpg (536KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2136.jpg
536KB, 1620x1080px
>>965552
Don't want a turd jeep, pic related is my motor.

Maybe if I was some fat americunt not capable of walking up a hill...
>>
So what happened to OP? Are they coming back or what? Is this some one and done POS post from some faggot ass unmodified JK owner that piced the first pic of a 'wrangler' tha they found on Google?

Fuck that where my Jeepers at? What are y'all rolling? What's it name?

2000 XJ 7" lift, internal snorkel, 35's, Corbeau seats and named Javelina.
>>
>>966551
OP who used a stock image asking redundant questions? Kid probably doesn't even own a Jeep
>>
>>966186
What a fucking joke.
VW caddy is the absolute worst city van.
And like all city vans, it drives like shit.
>>
>>966774
You an expert, kid? What are you basing your opinion on
>>
>>966186
mirin the aesthetics of it.

>right side steering wheel
weeewww la.
>>
OP here, sorry I work nights and can't have my phone. Thanks for the jeepers with actual advice. I have a YJ with a 4 inch lift and 29.5 tires, her name is Jolene on the streets and Ol Betsy in the woods. I do like the ideas about camping inside the Jeep but I should have clarified that I am looking for tips or tricks from others who Jeep right up to their campsite and how they utilize it in camping. But all input is appreciated
>>
Any Subaru owners? I am close to getting an outback. My ideal car would be a 4runner but i don't have the money. I was thinking about camping on top of the car. I assume a jeep can do that too.
>>
>>967066
Give us an idea of what you want then. Do you want to know how to use a winch for a hammock? Use your motor to heat shower water? Set tarps off the top racks and sleep underneath your Jeep?

What are you looking for? Where are you camping? What gear do you have?

Help us help you OP.

Also nice modes what is your next upgrade?
>>
>>967305
Alright man lol if I knew I wouldn't have asked. I'm a country boy in the heart of Appalachia. I know how to camp and would prefer to sleep outside the Jeep. But this spring/summer I'm planning on driving my yj to the camp site and was wondering if there were ways I could use it that I didn't know of.

Next mods.....idk bumpers and side rails or lighting I'd say
>>
>>966774
As a former taxi driver, who puts more kms on a car in a month than you do in a year.

All of the city vans drive like shit. Ford, PSA, Fiat, doesn't matter.
All of then have tiny little wheels and FWD.
>>
>>967287
I have an '05 Outback which I've car camped with many times. I never did any permanent mods to it, but I keep essentials like canned food and granola bars, water, and warm clothes in the storage compartment under the trunk, right on top of the spare tire. I also installed a CB radio, and will be buying a GMRS radio for it too. Antennas are quick-release or fold-down, and I mount them to the roofrack. I see no reason to camp on top, as it's very comfortable to sleep in, especially since the rear seats fold down completely flat.

If I off-roaded more, I'd go for a 4" lift, brush guard, and some bash plates. I would absolutely love to build a rear swing-gate spare tire carrier for it, then have more storage in the spare-tire compartment, or use it to house a battery bank and stick a solar panel on the roof. I definitely wish it had more power for its weight - mine is the 4 cyl which had like 185bhp new. I keep in good shape, but there are times when it struggles off-road, so go for the 6 cyl or the XT.
>>
>>966002
I overland camp in a CRD liberty. It's got the exterior spare tire carrier from factory too.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.