[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Touring across the Europe w/ bicycle.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: cycling-through-europe.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cycling-through-europe.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
Don't really know which board this belongs, but here goes.

I'm interested in cycling through the Europe with a bicycle, but I'm completely lost with regards to bikes. Prices go from 0 euros to 15,000 euros.

Don't really know which touring bikes are actually good for long distance biking and which are not. I'm willing to spend some thousand euros on a good bike that can last the journey without physically killing me - and the length of the journey would be 5400 kilometers.

Any recommendations?
>>
/n/ would probably be the better board to ask. Lost of bike fiends and threads about touring on a bike.
>>
>>965461
I am looking at a touring bike as well. I have been test riding and researching. I really like the Jamis Renegade, for 800 USD. It is aluminium, but steel would be better for long rides, plus it has a really weird tire size at 700x36c. I test rode the Marin Lombard and Trek Crossrip Comp. Both were excellent but pushy on price and were designed for city, not touring.

Other bike tourists I have heard about like the Surly Long Haul Trucker, and Co-Motion Pangaea. Both are really pricey but excellent bikes.
>>
Oh man, my cat just barfed!
>>
>>965461
I've heard that it's good to think in parts-availability. Use a common tire size and suck and use basic brakes in stead of disk brakes since they're easy to repair yourself and to by new ones. I'll admit this guy I talked to basically biked halfway through Asia so being self reliant was prolly a lot more important for him than it will be for you in Europe
>>
>>965993
*And such... Jesus
>>
>>965993

discbrakes are are used on bikes of every level since 2000.
in europe you can get any parts you want for disc brakes.
also , they tend not to breake.
>>
>>966020
Yeah, but *if* they - say bend - you have to buy new ones. Also mine squeked like hell
>>
Get a full frame 24'' or 26'' wheels, and make sure there are lugs on the frame for whatever pannier mounting system you're using.

Bull bars or similar help with wrist fatigue over long distances.

If you get a decent torch you can get a bracket to mount it on the handlebars, rather than duplicity of carrying a dedicated bike light.

You don't NEED thousands of dollars. I have met plenty of people doing long distance cycling on cheap / thrift bikes inc one hippy girl cycling to Portugal (I was in France) with panniers made from weaved cane bags, her bike at most was £50
>>
700c is a normal size these days.

If you were touring asia or south america, stick to V brakes and 26" tires. North America, Europe, the UK, you will not have trouble finding 700c (650b) and 29" tires or spare disc brake pads. You should still carry a spare tube, sealant, spare brake pads, and some tools though.

As far as bikes go: I own 3 Surly bikes. In my thousands of miles... THOUSANDS of miles on my Surly bikes, I have never had a breakdown (i don't count flat tire, of which i've only ever had 1 in those thousands of miles) Now that doesn't mean i don't carry my own repair tools and some parts.

I suggest checking out the Surly like of touring bikes. The steel is real and rides much nicer than aluminum.
>>
Just get the cheapest second hand bike you can.

When you know what your requirements are you can get the bike that best fits you.

Bikefagging now is just wasting money.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.