[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Food while /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 15

File: mre_bag-new_design-1.jpg (137KB, 735x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mre_bag-new_design-1.jpg
137KB, 735x1024px
Hey /out/, so I'm interested in getting into hiking out into the woods and camping, and I was planning to use MRE's as my primary food source, but I wanted to know what /out/ thinks of this. The reason I want to do this is because it's a lot lighter than humping a mess kit out innawoods, and I've never been a very good cook anyway. I don't plan on being out there for more than 1 or 2 nights, so I feel like it would be a good idea.

Thoughts?

Also, general /out/ food thread
What do you guys eat while /out/?
>>
>not living offa the fatta the lan
>>
>>965301
I'm not that experienced
>>
You should learn to cook, it's a valuable life skill.

It's also more fun that just eating warm.stuff from a bag. There's lots of good books and websites on cooking /out/. Then you can start to learn to forage, fish, etc.

MREs and Mountain House bags are fine occasionally, or as a back up, but you should learn to feed yourself.

Don't just buy your way out of a problem.
>>
>>965311
What are some simple beginner meals to prepare while /out/?
>>
File: smug.jpg (37KB, 440x400px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
37KB, 440x400px
>>965351
>simple beginner meals
rice and pasta for total starters
>>
beans and rice
dried fruit
canned veggies
jerky

my favorite is potato (or sweet potato) and chickpea curry; it's easy to cook and healthy
-skin potatoes, boil for 10 minutes, and drain water
-cook potatoes and season with salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika, and chili powder (add cumin powder if you don't mind the smell) for about 4 minutes
-add diced onions to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes
-add a few cloves of minced garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes
-add drained and rinsed can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and cook for 2 minutes
-add 1 can of coconut milk, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes
-if you can bring veggies with you, add in two handfuls of rinsed baby spinach (it looks like a lot at first, but it withers down; also try to rinse the spinach before heading out...it'll stay fresh longer)
>>
>>965404
forgot to add that you can serve the curry over plain rice or the beans and rice I mentioned
>>
File: 1487846943064.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1487846943064.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>965404
Holy shit my veggie gf would love this recipe, thanks for posting anon
>>
>>965404
>>965407
>>965412

fuck...I forgot about diced tomatoes

you can add a can of diced tomatoes in as well before adding the coconut milk

it helps with iron absorption from the spinach
>>
>>965311
Yeah but think about how much space and weight is saved over having a mess kit
>>
>>965418

>Yeah but think about how much space and weight is saved over having a mess kit

Uh, none?
>>
>>965488
>bringing a few MRE'S somehow weighs more than a set of pots and pans, plus whatever ingredients I intend to cook with

Are you delusional?
>>
>>965497
MREs are pretty heavy, considering what they are.
>>
>>965497
Not that guy, but I'm fine losing a little space to have a nice, hot meal. My pack is big enough and weight difference isn't noticeable. I've got a one-pot mess kit and a fairly lightweight stove, plus ingredients are mostly dried and don't weigh that much.
>>
>>965497
for hiking I love some beef jerky, apples , peanut butter sandwiches, dried fruit some simple meals you can make are hotdogs, beans, soup, noodles and with those you hardly need any containers MREs are gross imo
>>
>>965500
You can heat MRE'S by pouring like an ounce of water into the heater thing they come with
>>
>>965505
No....REALLY!?! I thought you had to eat them cold?

Let me restate my point so that maybe it's easier to understand.

I enjoy cooking a hot meal and don't mind bringing a few things along to do that more than I enjoy pouring hot water in a bag and eating what's in it.
>>
>>965351
instant oatmeal is great in the morning.
roasted potatoes and onions made next to a fire is always a winner.
beans are easy.

basically anything that requires indirect heat can be cooked next to a fire.

if you have a cooler -- chop up some peppers and onions throw in a little sausage.

but my favorite out recipe i have is
if you catch a good fish
make an foil canoe
put some fish and chopped onion in it
add a little brown sugar and lemon pepper
leave next to fire until done.
>>
>>965501
MRE's are gross in pretty much everyone opinion.

i don't understand why you would want them unless you don't have access to a grocery store for a week.

well made camping food is delicious.
>>
>>965532
MRE's are actually bretty gud my dude, but nothing beats the comfy feeling of cooking by the camp fire.
>>
>>965289
I take a thermos with soup in it, if' I'm going for multiple days I take expedition food freeze dried meals and tins of soup
>>
>>965497
Not everyone needs a huge set of pots and pans to cook food. Are you retarded perchance?
>>
>>965505
They also taste like playdoh and catfood.
>>
>>965532
Mountain House MREs are fucking delicious. Backpacker's Pantry ones are mediocre. Milsurp ones are supposedly terrible, but I've stayed away from them.
>>
Great timing for this thread. I'm going to be backcountry camping soon and I was wondering what kinds of food to bring? Some info is I'll have no cooler/no camp fires are allowed in the area so I'll be bringing my little butane stove, it'll be 3 days and my gf is coming
>>
>>965404

UPDATED and corrected cause I'm an idiot

beans and rice
dried fruit
canned veggies
jerky
peanut butter

my favorite is potato (or sweet potato) and chickpea curry; it's easy to cook and healthy
-peel and dice potatoes, boil for 10 minutes, and drain water
-cook potatoes and season with salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika, and chili powder (add cumin powder if you don't mind the smell) for about 4 minutes
-add diced onions to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes
-add a few cloves of minced garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes
-add drained and rinsed can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and cook for 2 minutes
-add 1 can of diced tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes
-add 1 can of coconut milk, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes
-if you can bring veggies with you, add in two handfuls of rinsed baby spinach for about 2 minutes (it looks like a lot at first, but it withers down; also try to rinse the spinach before heading out...it'll stay fresh longer)
>>
>>965563
You can bring a pepperoni pizza in gallon zip lock bags
>>
>>965581
Thanks for the great advice dick. Man /out/ has really gone downhill
>>
>>965599
WTF man pepperoni doesn't spoil.

Why so rude.
>>
>>965599
he's right about the pizza
>>
File: 20101122-pizzaclass.jpg (44KB, 500x257px) Image search: [Google]
20101122-pizzaclass.jpg
44KB, 500x257px
>>965581
>just what in the hell do you think your doing?
>learnin about gorkas and having food.
>>
Mre's have stuff in them to constipate you for combat I heard. Good luck with that.
>>
>>965599
once it's cooled, pizza packs pretty well. it's just grilled bread with sauce and grilled cheese and sometimes meat.

tastes just fine at room temp too.
>>
>>965740
It's pretty clear that you heard that from a friend, who heard from a friend, whose uncle died in Vietnam, and he wrote home that MREs were blocking him up, so it must be true.

First off, you're taking about military MREs, not commercial MREs like Mountain House. Second, they block you up as a side-effect of the dehydration, not intentionally. Third, they come with a stick of gum that has a mild laxative to counteract that.
>>
>>965599
You're an idiot, and the pizza was good advice for a short trip. Just eat it the first night.
>>
>>965812
For car camping it could work but I wouldn't want to hike all day with a pre cooked pizza in my pack
>>
>>965842
Eh, I don't see why not, but either way, that dude wasn't being a sarcastic asshole like you assumed.
>>
File: 1484566004742.jpg (33KB, 680x459px) Image search: [Google]
1484566004742.jpg
33KB, 680x459px
I only bring a bag of oats, and maybe some coffee powder. A fist of oats will get you a big portion of porridge.
>>
>>965558
>Milsurp ones are supposedly terrible, but I've stayed away from them.
Literally just finished eating a beef stew MRE. Was honestly pretty decent.

The stew itself was like a Chunky's beef stew or something. Not bad, but not amazing.
Mixed nuts with raisins. Low sodium and just as good as any other trail mix.
Garlic Mustard Pretzel Bites. Purdy good salty snack.
Bread, PB&J. Bread is pretty dense, peanut butter was good, as was the apple jelly.
Coffee was meh. Source of caffeine I suppose.
Haven't used the gatorade mix yet.

All in all I'd say milsurp MRE's are fine for backup/emergency rations. But you'd probably be better off doing some actual cooking while innawoods.
>>
MREs are bulky as fuck, full of excessive packaging (enjoy packing all that fucking trash out), and will plug you up like a motherfucker.
Lern2/onepot/ and buy plenty of dehydrated shit. The "instant meal" aisle of your local grocery store is full of complete meals that require nothing more than boiling water and seasoning to taste.
You'll go further with a jar of peanut butter, a summer sausage, a brick of cheese, a pack of tortillas, and a bottle of hot sauce, plus some of the above meals than you will with MREs.
>>
>>965599
>>965842
Nigger I've taken pizza in a ziploc into capital-W-Wilderness 9-day, 15 miles/day trips. It packs fine, it keeps well, and it tastes like fucking heaven after a few days of Clif bars and summer sausage.
Just like fresh fruit. Strategic treats are fucking great while /out/
Don't be so fucking salty about "muh roughin it"
>>
File: Summer Sausage.png (140KB, 450x350px) Image search: [Google]
Summer Sausage.png
140KB, 450x350px
Would never consider eating this in a million years at home but while /out/ this is literally manna from heaven. On crackers, plain, in pasta it makes you feel comfy as fuck even while miles from civilization of any kind
>>
>>966172
>>966189
Have never understood the appeal of fucking summer sausage. Just bring god damn salami. Inless you like the taste of goddamn hot dogs. Salami tastes way better and also doesn't need refrigeration.
>>
>they don't know about pizza in a pot
>>
>>966196
Good summer sausage is better than good salami, but bad summer sausage is worse than bad salami. If your local grocery store only has Hillshire Farm summer sausage, I don't blame you for not liking it, but if you ever get the chance to eat some nicer-quality stuff, you'll be converted. I had some bison summer sausage up in northern VT a couple months ago, and it was fucking incredible.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-10-11-44-11.png (962KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-10-11-44-11.png
962KB, 1080x1920px
>>966196
....do you just not know what summer sausage is, or what?
Salami is literally a type of summer sausage.
>>
>>966201
That tastes like hot dogs.
>>966200
Maybe.I've never had a summer sausage that didn't taste like hotdogs. Ill take your word for it.

Genoa Salami is king until I find some summer sausage that doesn't taste like hot dogs.
>>
>>966205
>tastes like hot dogs
You keep saying this.
Go take a bite of any hot dog and a bite of any cheap summer sausage and tell me it's the same taste. It isn't.

>t. Work in a butcher shop
>>
>>966198
>>they don't know about pizza in a pot

is that like a fancy fondue....? if not can it be...
>>
>>966209
You're wrong. Sry.
>>
>>966201
You're wrong. Salami is cured by fermentation. Summer sausage is not.
>>
>>966175
Bullshit. Try hiking in the summer with pizza in your pack it will spoil.
>>
>>966230
What part spoils? Certainly not the sauce, cheese or bread. Good for at least three days
>>
>>966230
Maybe after a week.
>>
>>966230
I've got away with two days with a delicio frozen pizza
>>
>>966212
It can be whatever you want it to be, anon.....

But what it usually is is a one-pot stew/casserole type dish using typical pizza ingredients. A lot of backpackers make the "crust" with cous cous because it cooks fast.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-10-15-04-16.png (200KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-10-15-04-16.png
200KB, 1080x1920px
>>966226
>>
>>966335
Well fuck me.

It still is gross compared to salami. There is a reason no restaurant puts summer sausage on anything. Because its fuckin terrible.
>>
>>965289
MREs are good for a few days. They're designed to keep you going and not stop, which means when you get home you'll shit your brains out. Most of them are good except the breakfast ones.
For the love of god stay away from biscuits and gravy, as well as the maple sausage MREs
>>
>>966398
>maple sausage MREs
One of my worst experiences involves a maple sausage MRE
>>
>>966348
Nobody is arguing that hillshire farm summer sausage isn't gross.
>>
>>965811
While the myth that the gum found in MREs contains a laxative is false (however, they are sweetened with xylitol, which has a mild laxative effect), the crackers in the ration pack do contain a higher than normal vegetable content to facilitate digestion.
>>
>>966170
Best use of the coffee is to put it in your lip like skoal or grizzly dip and wait until you get the caffeine buzz from it and spit/rinse it out.
>>
>>965811
My old boss was in iraq and he said the same thing. "You get used to shitting once a week when you eat them steady."
Its obvious you heard from noone and are just some shitposting smartass.
>>
>>966404
Worst food experience? Or some other kind of experience?
>>
>>966761
It was a horrible experience that involved food.
>>
>>965811
>they come with a stick of gum
False, they come with a packet of 2 Dentyne looking pieces of gum.
>>
>>965553
Nonsense, they taste fine, at least US Milsurp ones are. They are no different than canned meals, they just come in bags instead. A can of beef stew is the same as a beef stew MRE and vice versa.
>>
>>967345
Anything that contains any kind of """meat patty""" is automatically horrible imo. Theres just no working with it.
>>
File: 1488280523780.jpg (60KB, 1014x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488280523780.jpg
60KB, 1014x1024px
> living off MRE

Good luck if you want to spend 10$ per meal and not shit for the next month.
>>
If just 1-2 days just grab a small box of peanut butter crackers our a few granola bars.
>>
File: KIMG0215.jpg (710KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0215.jpg
710KB, 2048x1536px
>>
I go camping a lot and since I'm a poorfag I take these Knorr sides and bring a cheap cut of meat in my cooler and mix it in with the sides. Good for one person to eat as a meal and often it just requires boiling water and tastes pretty good. You can buy them for a dollar or two at Walmart. I have also eaten ramen noodles and instant miso soup (tofu and seaweed is good for you). Since you can't bring a cooler with you for meats, maybe bring a variety of beans or canned tuna/salmon/chicken packaged in those pouches so it's lighter.
>>
>>967500
The Fiesta Rice + Santa Fe instant refried beans is God Tier after a long day on the trail.
>>
>>967500
PROTIP: Korr Taco rice + dehydrated refried beans + cheese.
God-tier on tortillas
>>
>>967602
>>967607

refriedbeansmind
>>
>>967607
>>967602
>>967705
Refried beans are disgusting
>>
>>965289
if you can afford it go for it. as a novelty it's fine might even be fun to try them. you would kill yourself after the first month before eating an other one.
>>
>>967485
>not shit for the next month
that's all about hydration tho. it has nothing to do with food quality.
>>
File: 44b.png (270KB, 600x436px) Image search: [Google]
44b.png
270KB, 600x436px
>>969525
>doesn't like easily packable, calory-dense fibre and protein that requires noting but boiling water for 10 minutes to prepare
>>
>>969584
They taste like shit!
Shit!
>>
>>969596
You're in charge of how your food tastes, retard.
Put some fucking hot sauce on it and quit whining.
>>
>>967500
I like the teriyaki noodles
>>
File: 018.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
I would go with dehydrated meals before MRE's if I had a choice
>>
>>969659
>What? You don't want to eat that pile of dog shit? Just put hot sauce on it retard!
>>
>>969659
also salt
>>
I used MRE's while hiking for a while. They're great, absolutely loved'em and zero digestive problems. Everybody in this thread needs to stfu
>>
>>969596
No, they taste like beans.
>>
>>965289
There's a lot of fucking trash involved, so be careful of that, but otherwise they are fucking cool, and lightweight.
>>
>>969760
Beans are garbage tier food for poorfags
>>
>>965289
>inb4 people talk about pooping/digestive issues

Please take your exaggerated /k/ memes somewhere else.

If MREs are consumed properly there should be no issue.

Drink enough water and consume 1 normal meal for every 2 MREs and you'll be golden.
>>
>>969671
those mountain house things are fuckin shit.

backpackers pantry are much better
>>
>>970872
You're on crack. Mountain House is delicious. Backpacker's Pantry is awful.
>>
>>965351
beans and weenies
>>
>>969696
>comparing food to animal shit
you're 15
>>
>>971095
Let me simplify it for you idiot.

Putting hot sauce on bad food doesn't make it good. It just makes it shitty food with hot sauce on it.
>>
>>971136
If the issue with a particular food is that it doesn't have enough spices, adding spices helps.
>>
>>971136
You're literally acting like a fucking baby that doesn't want to eat vegetables.
Don't like the taste of refried beans? That's fine. Lots of people do like the taste of them.
You've been sperging about it for literally days at this point.
>>
>>965404
Who tf adds the garlic and onions after cooking the meal? Fry those fucks up and dump the potatoes into the nice brown oil.
>>
>>969671
i got the teriyaki chicken just so i could say i tried one. but it's awful pricey.
>>
>>965289
cod liver. tins of this shit.
it can withstand like 50+ degrees C and freeze with no issue as whale
>>
File: 1449098882273.png (26KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
1449098882273.png
26KB, 527x409px
>>967345
Have you ever had the "maple sausage patty",or the "pork sausage and gravy"? It's literally warm catfood in a pouch. anyone who disagrees is a Neanderthal or has never had a fresh cooked meal.
>>
>>974102
I'd rather die of starvation
>>
Cod fucking liver
>>
>>965412

>veggie gf
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.