/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, gorka help required once more.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 15

I like the look of the SPLAV Gorka 5. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Where should i buy one (as in what's the best/most legit place to buy it). I'm currently located in Europe/Austria.
>>
File: 1447019996001.jpg (41KB, 283x352px) Image search: [Google]
1447019996001.jpg
41KB, 283x352px
It's a cotton sack made in a Gulag by Slavs. I'll pass.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 440x293px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 440x293px
>>964531
If you go to Donbass and join the army of Novorossiya you get can one.
>>
File: gorka 4 bars.jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
gorka 4 bars.jpg
15KB, 225x225px
>got 2 nice jackets in mind , gonna buy 1 of them
gorka 4 bars looks actually better , just alone as a jacket , not with trousers
>>
File: fjallraven.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
fjallraven.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>965147
>second jacket in mind
fjallraven keb jacket also look neat
>>
>>964531
>Literally Unlined Russian Carhartt
Am I missing something?
>>
>>965147
>>965150
Gorka's just a windbreaker. No lining, untreated cotton duck so it's not waterproof either. It's useless for everything except wind unless supplemented by scotchguard and extra layers
>>
File: kekekekekekekekekek.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
kekekekekekekekekek.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>>965156
>gorka 4 bars
>useless
then what about keb jacket ?
>>
>>965161
>Useless
To be fair they're supposed to be really effective windbreakers and cotton duck is extremely durable (but heavy as fuck) fabric. I'd just rather have something lighter-weight, waterproof, or both.
>What about the keb?
Don't know anything about it. From your picture it looks like it's insulated and depending on the fabric it's made of it's probably more waterproof too. I also assume it's more expensive.
I'm just giving you information, playboy. You gotta make your own decisions
>>
File: yea.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
yea.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>965168
>own decisions
like always senpai
just looking for opinions before i buy something , also wanna squeeze/hug/touch it before i buy , never buy clothes from internet kids
>and the prices aaaare
>110 eurobucks for gorka4
>280 eurobucks for keb jacket
>>
>>965174
As a standalone jacket the Fjallraven is gonna BTFO the Gorka
Gorka is designed to be a top layer in cold, windy environments (mountains) with insulating layers on underneath. It's baggy as fuck for this reason as well. So to correctly utilize it you need to add the price of the layers underneath.
>>
>>965150
I own the keb and several other pieces of their gear.

First and foremost: Fjallraven is fucking expensive. Really, really expensive. You better know exactly what you want before spending a dime with them. I've no doubt that you could find a better brand overall for less money. That being said, they're hailed as BIFL and circlejerked for their design. I made the investment.

Second, the Keb jacket is HEAVILY specialized in its design. Its entire back is stretch cloth, along with the bulk of your arms. Those areas are super breathable, but not nearly as weather or wind proof as the g1k cloth that makes up the bulk of the jacket. You only get the most out of the pack with your backpack on, otherwise your back will get wind fucked.

Third, this jacket is multi fabric - some part of it will wear out before the other. The stretch fabric isn't robust and I don't dare to be rough with it.

Fourth, you can get the same vein of style with the Sarek jacket and avoid most of the rip/tear concerns.

Fifth, it's not ultralight. It is heavy.

Lastly: buy their gear on Moosejaw and wait for their 30% back in rewards sale. Buy this jacket and you've pretty much paid for a pair of Vidda pros or most of the keb Trousers if you end up digging their gear.
>>
tangentially related: I have a surplus M65 field jacket

is it any good for going /out/ or is, as is mentioned ITT, useless, being heavy non-waterproof cotton?

what would be a better option?
>>
>>965206
If it works it works. The military spends far more time and R and D compared to most people shitting on the fabric. It's not ideal. It isn't great for all situations or environment. It works. Don't get soaked -- not hard -- and develop your own opinion.
>>
>>965206
I thought M65 were 50/50 nyco. That's not as good as 65/35 polycotton (fr calls it g1000 because marketing) but certainly better than pure cotton.
The problem with pure cotton is that it goes wet and cold really easily and takes long to dry. If you can get to a warm place afterwards, it's no problem.
>>
>>965197
This. It's a specialized jacket for hiking with a backpack. It's not waterproof either (and not meant to be)
>>
>>965206
>>965456
Pure cotton's only big plus is in cold-dry conditions. That is temperatures always below freezing. Here the sucking effect of cotton actually has the advantage that it helps drag the moisture out from your inner layers - say fleeze.
>>
>>965147
>>965150

>looks actually better
>look neat

how about go post in /fa/ because you're obviously more concerned about how you look then how your gear performs
>>
File: salty.jpg (8KB, 174x200px) Image search: [Google]
salty.jpg
8KB, 174x200px
>>965568
>more concerned about how you look
>>
File: J141DKB.jpg (157KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
J141DKB.jpg
157KB, 1200x1200px
Pic related is what I use innawoods.

It keeps me warm but I have nothing to compare it to so maybe I am being suboptimal. Does anyone have any experience with Carhartts?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (205KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
205KB, 1600x1600px
>>964531
This is the one gorka i'd like tro try out. If it was like 20-50% poliester it would be nice too
>>
File: gorka_4_od.jpg (436KB, 1555x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gorka_4_od.jpg
436KB, 1555x1080px
>>964598
Do you guys think they are still alive? Ukraine seems to rain and snow a lot doesn't it?
>>
>>965610
Ukraine's actually fairly dry for a temperate climate, but Crimea's the wettest and warmest part of Ukraine, too.

>>965605
I work innawoods and wear Carhartt pants doing it, because they're more durable than pants that cost twice as much. They're heavy as fuck and if they get wet they're gonna STAY wet, and also be twice as heavy as they already are. When I'm innawoods and not working I usually wear lighter clothes.
I have a couple Carhartt coats for winter shit too, and they're my favorite coats by far, but they're pretty fucking heavy for backpacking/innawoodsing, when I can get petty similar warmth for way less weight via layering. I've also Scotchgarded the shit out of them.
>>
>>965456
Yep, marketing. Thinking of making gear from that fabric blend and selling as a competitor at half the price.
>>
>>965700
That thought has struck me as well. Get a shitload of tightly woven 65/35 polycotton of good quality and in a nice color and begin experimenting. Could add wax or DWR as well
>>
>>965657
What do you do, out of curiosity?
>>
>>965756
I've done Trails, Firefighting, and currently do Surveying for the Forest Service.
I liked Trails the most.
>>
>>965174
I've never been on /hug/ is it good?
>>
buying this is like you support mafia
>>
>>965788
How did a Ukrainian afford a computer?
>>
>>965772
How would I go about getting a job like those? Is it more of a who you know kinda thing that gets you in, or what?
>>
>>965845
Honestly state Conservation Corps (usually through Americorps) is a really good way to get in.
The pay is shit (seriously it's slave labor) and Trump's trying to ax Americorps but the Conservation Corps are basically a pipeline into federal agencies that do the same work.
>>
>>965802
By illegally migrating to Poland to work as a toilet cleaner.
>>
>>965846
Which federal agencies? You've piqued my interest.
>>
>>965926
BLM, NPS, FWS, AND USFS
Honestly probably others too but in my experience those are mostly who you work with.
>>
>>965935
Is that what you're aiming for?
>>
>>965941
I already work for the Forest Service.
>>
>>965944
Oops, missed the line between those dots. What kind of stuff do you do on a day to day in the USFS? Does it pay well?

I really appreciate all the answers
>>
>>965949
> What kind of stuff do you do on a day to day in the USFS?
I'm a survey tech. Day to day it's a lot of repetitive math and paperwork, basically. But a lot of it is outside, which is nice. It also allows me to use my degree which is good.

Trails was the best shit, which is also what you mostly do in Conversation Corps. I only ever worked in Wildernesses so it was a lot of deep backcountry backpacking, trail rehab, construction, and cutting trees. All without mechanized equipment (most notably 2-man crosscut saws but all kinds of shit). Basically live like a Lumberjack 100 years ago.

Fire was easy compared to Trails, honestly. When you're working you're working your ass off (I mostly dug line and cut trees) but you also spend a lot of time sitting on your ass collecting a check.

>Does it pay well?
Depends on pay grade but mostly no it doesn't. Fire pays really well because you're pulling in hazard pay AND overtime 24/7 if you're on a fire.

Ultimately I'd like a Wilderness Ranger position, which realistically means going back to Trails, which I liked the best anyway.
>>
File: smug in my smock.jpg (113KB, 827x1000px) Image search: [Google]
smug in my smock.jpg
113KB, 827x1000px
>>964531

Get Smock.

Smock is better.

>Actually windproof
>FUCKING POCKETS
>>
>>965975

>get smock

No longer are you slavaboo.

Today you are

>TACTICAL HOBO
>>
>>965975
>tfw your smock looks silly but you have shit to carry
>dem pockets
>>
>>965594
wear clothes for the conditions, not for /fa/ reasons, jesus it's not like there are mirrors around when inna for you to gaze at yourself in

Gorka is shit tier to begin with, never mind reducing it to which LOOKS better. It's just a polycotton wind shirt, if it weren't slavshit it'd get as much attention as the British smock which arguably does a better job than the Gorka anyway
>>
File: IMG_0634.jpg (773KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0634.jpg
773KB, 2048x1536px
Bought the Gorka 4 pants and jacket over a year ago, for cold weather it's trash, for rain it's trash. Until I got to the Fjäll in Sweden and Norway I thought it was a waste of money, but there it proved its worth, there could be crazy winds and my face would feel like it was in a sand blaster but my upper body wouldn't even notice, I do like the jacket, add Velcro to the map pocket and the neck closure; the buttons are impossible with thick gloves. I wear a few layers under and a flektarn goretex rain suit on top.
Don't buy the pants; they're a complete waste of money.
>>
>>966693
So why even use it as a windproof when there are tons of better options out there?
>>
>>965802
stealing many pigs.
>>
I see you've worn one before. It is fit desert fashion. obscure movie reference for 400
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.