[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Farming in the Woods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: bench-and-woods-use-first.jpg (1MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
bench-and-woods-use-first.jpg
1MB, 2592x1728px
Any advice on how to farm inside a wooded area? Plants or animals. No chopping trees.

Let pigs free roam? Could they find enough food?
Let chicken free roam?

Plant mushrooms on logs?

Harvest what little sap the trees have?
>>
>>964342
The traditional method was chopping trees. But some trees can be cut in ways that they grow back in useful shapes such as multiple long an thin poles.

But you can always grow a food forest

The other answers are dependent on your climate and what species are growing.
>>
File: food that.jpg (621KB, 1080x3225px) Image search: [Google]
food that.jpg
621KB, 1080x3225px
>>964342
Chickens will stay around only if they have a food source to come back to. And you have to build a wood perimeter to keep animals from eating your crop.
>>
>>964342
If you can get away with all that, just grow weeds and trade for needs.
>>
mushrooms are easy

plants would need space, sun, and water
>>
>>964342
>Any advice on how to farm inside a wooded area? Plants or animals. No chopping trees.
>Let pigs free roam? Could they find enough food?
>Let chicken free roam?
>Plant mushrooms on logs?
>Harvest what little sap the trees have?

Did you do any research at all before, or did you just ask away without any prior knowledge of agroforestry?
>>
>>964342
I don't know about the other stuff, but I do know that if you don't have a sturdy barrier that completely encloses the chickens (at night at the very least), all of your chickens will get eaten. This includes the top of their run. Owls, hawks, raccoons, possoms, skunks, minks, foxes, coyotes, etc will all be very excited to learn that you have chickens. Killing the predators generally won't work long term, as you'll just create a niche vacuum and more will move in. Some type of bantam would probably fare best as free-roamers, but they won't yield much meat or eggs and will still probably end up getting eaten.
>>
>>964342
Step 1. Sturdy fences. Very sturdy

Step 2. Secure Hen houses for night

Step 3. I guess get your hens, just be very wary for a start, who knows what is waiting to eat your hens. Ive lost hens to rats even.
>>
>>965482
>Ive lost hens to rats even.
... It was probably weasels, not rats.

But I guess it's possible.
>>
>>965264

Should mention they're mostly spruce trees.
>>
>>965522
I've seen rats kill chickens. They mostly go after eggs and chicks, but if they're desperate enough they'll go after adults. Sometimes en masse.
>>
>>965545
I guess just look up what you want to grow/raise on the site and if the life requirements match up well with the conditions of your spruce stand go for it. If they don't, either don't farm there or modify the site.If you want to keep all the trees you could try planting shade tolerant herbs, or using the evergreen trees to maintain a cool,moist micro climate for some shiitake logs.
>>
>>964342
>Let pigs free roam?
Haha fuck dude
>>
>>966187
Those things would be gone on the first day and never to be seen again
>>
>>964351
>But some trees can be cut in ways that they grow back in useful shapes such as multiple long an thin poles.

It's called coppicing.

>>964342

No one seems to ask the most relevant question - IS THIS YOUR LAND?

That basically dictates what you can and cannot do.

Also no details on size of plot, geographical location, soil type, or even forest type.
>>
Other faggot here.
Let's say that there is a small, forest behing my backyard that I can use, thing is that it is damp in many places and is unfenced. There is sort of channel with water and further there is a small river (but not sure, if plot reaches so far + it is in deep channel done with stones)
It is categorized as fallow, so tax on it is tiny.
Got any ideas for how I could use it?
Thought about putting some fence and starting raised bed/Hügelkultur and getting a chicken coop there.
>>
>>966737
Correction: I actually have a chicken coop in backyard, but I thought of using the chicken land in more economical way, fuckers ruin too much grass in my opinion. Maybe I should get a good way to make hay or something...
>>
>>966722
Depends on the breed and how well you take care of them. Girl I used to dates family had a pot belly pig rescue and they had a bunch of free roamers that would always come back to the fireplace by the end of the day.
>>
>>964351

First post best post, especially since OP didn't tell us anything. Food forests are an ancient technique, but modernized as a branch of permaculture.

But all that requires at least some forestry. If the forest floor was available for mass cultivation without clearing and replanting, or at least basic garden maintenance work, then A) we wouldn't have just spent the past 10,000 years playing the subsistence agriculture game and mostly starving at it, and B) there would be huge thickets of undergrowth to clear. There's a reason that area under the trees is mostly empty right now.
>>
>>964342
I'm the guy who's been shitting up the homegrowmen threads over the last few days. Some stuff other anons have mentioned that I think you could use:
>Rabbit farming
Appears to be able to generate a large amount of meet for relatively low cost. You'd need t either buy or make some gear though
>Wild berries
Apparently will grow pretty much anywhere they're suited, so you could consider planting a few patches
>>
File: iberic-pigs-bellota.jpg (167KB, 783x284px) Image search: [Google]
iberic-pigs-bellota.jpg
167KB, 783x284px
>>966722
there always have been pigs in Spain roaming free in the woods, (they aren't wild pigs, acually they are used to produce the best ham of the world) they eat for themselves the acorns of the holm oaks.
>>
File: copice.jpg (285KB, 750x564px) Image search: [Google]
copice.jpg
285KB, 750x564px
>>964351
>7 to 20 years later
>>
>>964375
Going to try some of those
thanks breh
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.