[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We have a first aid equipment thread, so how about one on how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: timthumb.jpg (40KB, 432x324px) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
40KB, 432x324px
We have a first aid equipment thread, so how about one on how to actually USE it?

I have a first aid pack but I wouldn't know where to start if something happened to me, are there any good methodical guides?
>>
File: IMG_20170121_191830461-L.jpg (210KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_191830461-L.jpg
210KB, 800x450px
Take a first aid/cpr class.
Bonus points for WFR.

Worth the time/money.
>>
Anybody know the right way to perform a field expedient tracheotomy?
>>
>>964226
Should i spend the 5 bucks to get a hemostat? I am thinking it is more for a trained person to use on me rather than me on someone else. Thoughts?
>>
I carry around some band-aids, alcohol prep-pads, liquid skin and some salve in my pack.
I wanna get a suture kit, but I think I'll take a First-Aid/CPR class before I do that.
>>
>>964257
No. Snag a $40 German one next time you go to the Dr.
>>
>>964261
That's not nearly enough. The primary thing in your pack for outdoors should be blood stoppers (gauze and sponges), coverings are secondary. The most likely thing to bring real harm is blood loss.
>>
>>964269
I'm not really innawoods as much as I'd like to be. I live in a mostly rural area.
Besides, I figure I'd pack for what's most likely to happen to me. (falling on my bike, getting cut at work)
I also forgot to mention, I have gauze and some Tylenol.
>>
>>964274
Ok in that case you are probably fine. I would still recommend a few pads just for preparedness mindset but realistically you should be ok. Just remember what I said for day hikes where you will be 3+miles away from help/transport.
At least you have a kit right? some people don't even consider it.

>>964263
lol I wouldn't mind having one of those but not gonna jack one. I would have to wait a few months to get one of that quality, but is it worth the wait?
>>
>>964226
yes put the scissors you will cut sterile shit with on in the dirt! good start op you can't fuck it up from there.
>>
>>964285
Instruments don't have to be kept sterile they can be sterilized on the spot when needed
>>
>>964297
you will forget it and put dirt and debris into a wound. because you are a fucking faggot i can tell by your post.
>>
File: what in tarnation.jpg (21KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
what in tarnation.jpg
21KB, 427x427px
>>964316
>forget it and put debris into a wound
good point there , why people bother to show the equipment on the fucking dirt/grass ? dont you have a house like normal people ? or table/blanket ?
>BTW you should buy a desinfection spray to your kit , just spray the shit outa the wound and the instruments if you gonna patch yourself up
>>
>>964226
Nice boo boo kit for only the most minor cuts 'n scrapes

Might wanna at least 1 or 2 Israeli bandages, at the bare least.
https://youtu.be/GTtfEgAt6KY
>>
File: 1419811103073.jpg (24KB, 334x283px) Image search: [Google]
1419811103073.jpg
24KB, 334x283px
>>965445
For when /out/ goes bushcrafting in Fallujah? Get real
>>
>>964269
>The primary thing in your pack for outdoors should be blood stoppers (gauze and sponges), coverings are secondary. The most likely thing to bring real harm is blood loss.

wut...Blood loss is one of the lowest priorities in terms of gear specific for it, unless you're in a high-risk setting, like combat. Gauze doesn't control bleeding anyway, it's for wound dressings, same category as bandaids. Having lots of extra bandages and dressing materials is actually a very good idea, because they get wet/dirty/etc and need changing real quick in the outdoors. It won't do much to prevent infection but it will help with pain and healing time.

>>964297
>Instruments don't have to be kept sterile they can be sterilized on the spot when needed

This is actually good advice. Keeping things truly sterile almost always has no benefit vs just keeping things CLEAN. You really never need sterile things and if you do wiping them with iodine is close enough.
>>
>>965447
You at least want some items to take care of the most preventable deaths...
Bad luck can come from nowhere.
Saw a video once of a guy almost dying because the handlebars of his mountainbike punctured an artery in his groin while out and about in the countryside of france IIRC
>>
>>965458
so how do you prevent blood loss given a serious injury?

I heard they don't really recommend tourniquets anymore unless you can accept the possibility of losing the limb it's applied to.
>>
>>965480
It's actually directly the opposite.

Nowadays TQ's are very recommended in regard to trauma care because the link that TQ's cause loss of limbs isn't really an issue they found out. Maybe after 6+ hours but that gives you enough time to take care of the bleeding site or get the person to the hospital.

TQ are #1 recommended item in trauma care nowadays. They are a bit expensive though. But reusable.

Watch SkinnyMedics video's
>>
>>965480
>so how do you prevent blood loss given a serious injury?

The goal is to control it and prevent harm from it, not altogether prevent or stop it. Do the usual things first-direct pressure, elevation, if necessary moving to pressure points, clamping any big arterial source, applying tourniquets. You can do most of these things without any equipment. Also the person's physiologic responses will usually control even major bleeds without any help.

It takes an avg man 32oz of blood volume loss for symptoms to start, most people would think 6 oz is a lot if they saw it. But even big injuries like amputations take some time to lose a significant amount, and losing 32 oz instantly and going into shock probably isn't survivable.

>I heard they don't really recommend tourniquets anymore unless you can accept the possibility of losing the limb it's applied to.

Depends on the setting. In the military they use them earlier because they can be used in combat, and people tend to have multiple sources of blood loss, soldiers aren't doctors, etc. Civilian medicine can be more careful with them, and yes limbs can be lost when they're on more than a few hours. But if you're still worried about saving the limb more than your life the tourniquet probably isn't needed anyway.
>>
>>965528
I read that elevation hardly helps with mayor bleeds. Got some info on the pressure points and clamping arterial sources? Don't you need forceps for the latter?
>>
File: 1398736701155.jpg (549KB, 2047x1364px) Image search: [Google]
1398736701155.jpg
549KB, 2047x1364px
>>964226
Anyone know where to get little molle type bags, like the red one in op? I would like to organize small bags for meds, fire, etc.
>>
>>965859
I'm just guessing here, but since the bag says Lifesystems Trek First Aid, maybe Google up "Lifesystems Trek First Aid". They're a rather well-known brand.
>>
>>965859
And tiny bags with Molle webbing, varusteleka.com and any tacticool shop
>>
>>964279
Get one from a military surplus store/site. Same quality as the good ones, cost of the shitty ones.
>>
>>966035
Your sarcasm is understood but unwarranted. I asked about similar sized molle pouches. Not that one specific pouch in op.

>>966036
thank you
>>
>>965480
>>965480
EMTanon here, obviously the standard practice changes with time, but given that direct pressure/dressings aren't working tourniquets are very much worthwhile using as a last ditch effort and very effective. Long term damage to the limb isn't a big consideration if there is life threatening bleeding
>>
>>965564
Evidence on elevation is varied. It's still recommended because usually there's no downside to it

Evidence on pressure points tends towards it doesn't work and time spent attempting it could be better applied escalating bleeding control.

But really 90% of the time direct pressure will be enough to control bleeding.
>>
>>965521

This. This right here.

Also I second on skinny medic. He makes solid kits too for a good price as well.
>>
>>965859

Just type in Molle IFAK pouch. You'll get dozens of sizes, colors, etc.
>>
>>964247
Paramedics use a large hollow needle.
>>
>>965390
>Spray disinfectant on an open wound
Jimmies = rustled
>>
>>965469
yeah mountain biking is about a hundred times more dangerous than hiking i agree.
every year i have a bad fall. but that's why you never go alone.
>>
>>965458
>This is actually good advice.
it's shit advice actually.
>You really never need sterile things and if you do wiping them with iodine is close enough.
the reason why things in a fak are sterile is that you don't lose time sterilizing them just rip open the package and use it that's why they don't provide you with little cans and matches so you can boil water in and sterilize the bandages before use rather than just pack fucking sterile gauze.

of course if the item is dropped you clean it and disinfect it nothing can be done about that.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.