[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason no bushcrafters use kukris?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: Terminology.jpg (59KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Terminology.jpg
59KB, 600x450px
Is there a reason no bushcrafters use kukris?
>>
>>963841
i bought one of these at a hindu temple in Utah when i was 10
>>
It's a sharpened prybar that tries to be a hatchet.
>>
>>963861
yeah yeah and a hatchet's a sharpened hammer that tried to be an axe
>>
>>963841

https://youtu.be/m9u_UxKWgFE?t=507

what's that then?

Seriously, though - a typical kukri is a 16'' blade that weighs between 500, and 700 grams. That's well outside your typical bushcraft knife parameters that have a 3-4 inch blade (4.5 at the outside).

That said, nothing says you can't use a 16 inch kukri in the kitchen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHGlhFJH0g

do keep in mind, that guys is probably an expert chef, so he makes it look easy.
>>
i have a becker machax for chopping up wood and shit around camp. it's not a kukri but basically the same shit.
>>
Shitty 3rd worlder tool. No thank you
>>
>>963841
feel like this probably fits in well in a particular environment but not really in boreal forest where I'm from. It feels like a good where jungle and forest meet kind of thing.
>>
>>963841
Because plenty do and plenty have the same messiah complex that you do, acting as if they're the ones that discovered the kukris potential as a "bushcraft" tool.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
I used one as my /out/ knife exclusively for two years. Pic related.

Reasons I like it:

>cheap
>tough
>sharpens quickly*
>large enough to use to baton with

Reasons I didn't like

>Soft steel (*which is why it sharpens quickly)
but doesn't hold an edge so I'd be constantly sharpening it
>Recurve
just a cunt to sharpen - I'll never buy a knife with a recurve, just not compatible with whetstones
>Tiny ass handle
Okay for me as small hands, but I still had to grind down the heel on the pommel and soften the carved ridge on the handle to stop hot spots
>useless Cho and massive ricasso
I ground mine down into a choil to let me choke up

IMO the khukri isn't a one-knife-does-all type of knife, you STILL need a little fixed or folding blade with it for detail work. But it does a passable job processing firewood and heavy tasks.

I picked mine up for $40 in Kathmandu when I visted Nepal, it did it's job but I grew tired of it and since about 3 months I've exchanged it for a GB #401 (also pic related)

>takes a better edge
>holds a better edge
>only 2'' face so less real estate to keep sharp
>better geometry for chopping
>similar weight

I pair the GB with a small belt knife and it's a much more flexible combo.
>>
>>963841

Unwieldy and very very heavy

Axe is superior and btw that's why kukris come with those two little knives
>>
File: karambit-2.jpg (601KB, 2003x1335px) Image search: [Google]
karambit-2.jpg
601KB, 2003x1335px
>>963841
Why would you when Krambits exist and do everything so much better?
>>
I dont know what id use it for. Looks like a sharp banana.
>>
>>964075

oh you
>>
>>964075

>that shitty fake bokeh

Fuck off
>>
>>963890

Its actually an outstanding tool for what it was designed for. You're just to much of a dumbass to know though.
>>
>>964075

If you're gonna troll, at least spell shit right. It's Karambit, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>963870
No no and an axe is a sharpened sledgehammer that tries to be a storm.
>>
File: hultafors-bijl-HF840701-01[1].jpg (12KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
hultafors-bijl-HF840701-01[1].jpg
12KB, 450x300px
>>964030
>Not getting the same hatchet for half the money
>>
Anyonpe have one of the pre-1900 Longleafs or Bajhutapores that ACC used to sell?
>>
>>964038
The knives on most new ones are for show. On the Antique ones, one knife is actually a hardened sharpening steel, on the other a patch knife for cutting musket wad.
>>
>>964146
I've used my longleaf to hack up green pecan limbs for the smoker. I'm scared to do much more with it since it's got a rat tail tang held in 100yo wood by 100yo Himalaian epoxy.
>>
>>964132
>to much of a dumbass
>to much
Hmmm. Really fired the neurons.
>>
>>964171
The Longleafs were forged with war in mind, rather than general utility.
>>
>>964138
Not a half pound hatchet, retard
>>
>>963841
i would rather have a mora and a cheap hatchet than a kukri weighing as much as them and being less useful as any of them.
>>
>>963841
bushcrafters use machetes instead.
>>
>>963841
Because people greatly over-exaggerate their usefulness. A hatchet is better at chopping and a knife is better at carving. carrying both a hatchet and a knife will be lighter than one kurki. Kukris are only used by people who think that the blade looks cool and they want to be an bit different instead of using the most efficient tools possible. I also feel like people obsess over knives and bladed tools more than anything else. It's like it's the reason loads of people get into bushcraft. Bushcraft isn't about what tools you have, its about enjoying the outdoors and practising outdoor skills and being knowledgeable and living off the land, not using your $500 knife once to make feather sticks or make a tent peg.
>>
The patricians choice is a billhook.
>>
>>963841
Grind the tip off. Cutting tools don't need tips.
>>
>>963841
I guess you never watched Alone season 1.
>>
>>963841
>kukris
lol, more like KEK-REEs
>>
>>964384
I just wish people obsessed over knives a lot less than they do. I feel like everyone is just missing the point of bushcraft. Ive used the same mora/frost for 10 years and the same hultafors and silky saw for 6. Its kinda sad that people who wouldn't otherwise get into bushcraft only do because they think knives are cool
>>
>>964575
That file name hahahah
>>
>>964075
Here's your (You)
>>
>>964388
>not using the battlefield version
>>
>>963841
>autism
>>
>>964551
Found the save a life bin that knife faggot
>>
>>964293
>pound
>2017
Pleb.
How long is that handle 1 232/289 ft.?
>>
>>963841
99% of those are shit-tier steel badly tempered to the point your better off trying to cut wood with a frozen cat. I have the early coldsteel version made from carbonV steel and while it's much better it's still a wieldy blade that while it can do a bit of everything it does nothing very well. It's a one-size fits all tool that fails to do anything useful.
>>
>>964783
You can baton with that from a safe distance. Splinters are the worries of yesterday.
>>
>>963841

Because it's not practical for where I live. It is a meme knife. I prefer a proper maylasian parang.
>>
File: kukri.jpg (71KB, 1152x924px) Image search: [Google]
kukri.jpg
71KB, 1152x924px
YA GOT BLOOD ON MY KNIFE MATE
>>
>>967545
Perhaps you aren't using your cat correctly. Native users can do a wide range of tasks quite efficiently with their kukris. They are not my favorite for camping, but well made examples have been relevant to /out/ for centuries.
>>
>>967366
hatchets are designated by head weight,

A standard hatchet is a 1lb head, a 1/2lb hatchet is, you've guessed it, a 1/2lb head.

Now is it easier to say that or I have a 226g head hatchet?

If I say a 1/2lb hatchet anyone with brain and basic knowledge of axes will know what I'm talking about.

So fuck off back to /pol/ you argumentative little bitch
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.