[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FIRST RUCK PACK???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: halp.jpg (59KB, 1200x1235px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
59KB, 1200x1235px
This a copy pasta of my thread in k; I'm planning on going innawoods and i font want to fuck my back over in the long term, so I'm putting a good amount of money to my pack. Pic related is the pack I've got my eyes set on but half k is a lot of money. I've been told Hill People Gear and Mystery Ranch are good, and not as expensive to the point that I can find some on ebay. Any tips? I only want to buy a pack once in my life so I'm set on this pack being worth every cent it costs. Thanks!
>>
>>963327
1. leave your comfort-zone, go outside instead of odering your desired backpack on the internet
2. go to a store which supposedly has your desired backpack. there is also the possibility to check the stores stock beforehand via phone.
3. handle the desired backpack, try it on
4. buy it or don't buy it
>>
Probably depends on what you're doing innawoods. If you're hunting and need to carry a gun, you're going to want a different pack than for regular backpacking.

How good is your other gear? I ask because cheap gear is often heavier and packs larger so you would need a bigger pack. I carry a 50L pack for overnights and weekends, but it's mostly unfilled with compression straps clinching up the excess. During winter that same pack is filled up quite a bit more.

If you want a good, reliable, and affordable pack I always recommend a kelty redwing 50. They're awesome for the price. Sometimes as low as $65 for the old model (new model has a couple extra features).

A lot of people love their osprey packs. I tried out one of their atmos AG packs and I didn't like the AG suspension. The hip belt just felt odd to me, but others swear by it. The exos 58 will probably be my next pack. It's lighter, and has a different suspenion.

Gregory makes nice packs as well. They can be slightly more expensive, but they are excellent quality.

If you are going lighter weight, ULA makes amazing packs. They're geared more towards people who aren't carrying as much weight, as they typically have a max weight of 40 lbs or less, and a recommended base weight well under 20 lbs.
>>
>>963327
How much are you carrying?
What's season(s)?
>>
>>963385
Just enough for week out in the bush, I'm trying to travel light so I wont be carring anything that isn't necessary to survive out there. This would be for the summer seasons for about a week out, but during the winter I'm imaging I'd be packing a lot more, giving me less time to be good on supplies.

>>963366
I'm considering using it for hunting, but all I have right now is a compound bow. Yeah, I guess my assumption on winter and having more gear was right; which is why I want a pack that can carry a lot, and be worth its salt. Thing is, I want to make an investment on one pack so I'll save money overtime. I'm open to every pack, but still don't know where the line is between a quality "brand" that makes quality material and a paying for just the brand. I'll check all three of them out, since this pack is half k.

>>963361
I'm gonna go to REI later this week, and do exactly that, thanks! I totally forgot about them
>>
>>963412
Definitely suggest an REI. Even if you don't buy you'll be fitted right and be able to see what you like.

Often with good packs, you really pay for the suspension system. The difference between a $80 pack and a $200 is usually the expensive pack will have an intelligently designed suspension system that distributes the load correctly, while the cheap pack is just a bag with straps on it and an aluminum rod running along the back for support.
>>
I'd go with Osprey but I want something just lightly higher end...seems like it's narrowing down to Hill People Gears UTE. The guy who recommended this pack said Kelty was great but that HPG and Mystery Ranch was set to milspec, so I'm guessing it holds up longer, but I heard the HPG Ute isn't the lightest pack, anyone have experience with it?
>>
>>963537
Any quality pack, if you take care of it, will last for years.

If your osprey ever breaks, they will fix it for free. Which is nice.
>>
What about in the heat, do these things get hot?
>>
>>963780
Yes and no. Some packs have a mesh back panel that let's you have more airflow.

I've never thought my pack was unbearably hot, but yes they will hold some heat against your body.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.