[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PRIMITIVE LIVING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_2017-01-03-16-26-55.png (624KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-03-16-26-55.png
624KB, 1080x1920px
I'm a guy who just did the whole A.T. with basic camping gear, including a .22 rifle, 500 rounds of ammo, and some fishing lines and hooks.

I didn't spend a single dollar on the whole thru hike.

Hunted and fished and foraged the ENTIRE way.

Would travel until mid day, then switch to getting food or relaxing until night.

Was 10/10 comfy. Considering living full time like this.
>>
>>962807
You so fucking lie.

Nice troll bait thread, let's see how this plays out?
>>
>just did the whole AT
>Hunting and fishing the whole way
>In March

Sure you did, little guy. Sure you did.
>>
>>962807
Not a /k/ guy, but what .22 did you carry? Did it meet your expectations? What kind of ammo? Did you get enough to eat hunting and fishing?
>>
>>962835
Henry U.S. surviv rifle.

Easy to pack. Shoots straight. Your shots will all be 20 yard shots on squirrels anyways. Kept my belly full.

Ignore the trolls, apparently their toes get cold easily.
>>
>>962835
>i like bait
>>
>>962807
Lol
>>
>>962807
I kinda believe you, because small game and fish can be more than you can eat a lot of times.

I'd say you'd probably starve and die if you tried full timing that in the winter or you wandered into a shittier section of wilderness.

Fish, game are all under tremendous pressure anymore and at some point you'd be arrested for poaching or fishing without a license.

Also the Henry AR-7 makes me think you're a troll. It's a piece of shit. A scoped .22lr Ruger MkIII pistol you kept in your hobo bindle would be better in every respect and it's not even that good.
>>
>>962905
You can easily send 100,000 rounds through a AR-7 before it breaks on you. I took less than 400 shots in just below 5 months.

The ruger 10/22 was close choice for me, but nonetheless the AR-7 was so superior when packing it I decided on it.

AR-7 had no jams.

Respect your rifles.
>>
File: tren.png (243KB, 311x394px) Image search: [Google]
tren.png
243KB, 311x394px
>>962909
>AR-7
>Superior to 10-22
Pick one
>>
>>962914
Not superior on a rifle range or hunting for sport. Duh.

It simply fills less room in my rucksack, and the damn rifle wont betray you. This specific activity, the AR-7 is more sensible.
>>
File: 20170212_095129.jpg (2MB, 2569x1574px) Image search: [Google]
20170212_095129.jpg
2MB, 2569x1574px
>>962922
More fucking troll lies.
>>
>>962807
They let you take a .22 on the trail? Honestly that sounds fun as hell. You should charge to take people with you.
>>
>>962922
Honestly a good .22lr target or hunting pistol or something like a take-down 10/22 would be a better idea. The AR-7 is a bad design and while Henry makes good guns, they produce the AR-7 just as shitty as it was designed to be and made no improvements.

Anyways, your gun is the least of your concerns if you want to be a forest hobo full time. Problems would be running out of game and fish in an area, running into authorities or other uncool people and being totally fucked if you get seriously sick or injured.

Totally untrained people that did everything wrong, ate all the wrong plants, have survived for months in the wilderness, so I don't think you'd die right away, but you'd eventually run out one way or another.

Reason why full-time forest-hobo is not a recognized thing that exists.
>>
File: AR-7.jpg (27KB, 640x335px) Image search: [Google]
AR-7.jpg
27KB, 640x335px
>>962932
>>962922
I suggest you cock gobblers actually put some rounds through an AR-7 before you cast an opinion. It is a great /out/ gun that shoots straight, and packs down much smaller then a 10/22. Even Ruger's stupid takedown gun isn't as small as an AR-7.

If I'm plinking steel at the rimfire range, I bring my built 10/22. If I want a small cal. rifle for /out/ings I bring my AR-7.
>>
>>962928
What dont you grasp about me only needing a gun that will work not the best on the market?

>>962929
I didnt ask permission I just did this what kind of a life would I live if I had to obey rules

>>962932
Yet again, its not about having the absolute best tools.

It's fairly easy to live as long as you think of yourself as organic. Really had no struggles at all. I took my time, and walked, and hit squirrel and rabbits when I saw them, and I would stay at fishing spots for half a day to a day to replenish water and to hopefully get fish.

Manage your body pain, and be meditative so you dont get bored.

Was hiking the A.T., plus occassionally doing the "full" process of cooking.

My main goal was staying warm, which also was fairly easy.
>>
>>962934
Yes this is what I have been saying.

It does the job of hunting while you camp.

It isnt a high stress job.
>>
so how did you manage getting licenses for all this off season hunting/fishing you did on what i'm also guessing was private land
>>
>>962944
I didn't get any paperwork to do this. I'm a free man.

I have accepted death will eventually come.

I will live by my own means.
>>
>>962935
Hm... so how did you avoid all the trust fund yuppies calling the mountees on you for having a gun?
>>
>>962953
I doubt anybody knew I was hunting. I avoid people basically always and didnt hunt directly on the trail. I dont let people see or touch my gear. They have no reason to know I have an AR-7 in my backpack. When I walk off trail, I try to camp and hunt at least a mile off trail. About a mile proved to be sufficient.

The way you want to live isnt anyones business if you dont bother anybody.

I would never take a shot on a deer. Or other large game.
>>
>>962934
Fuck off! What version?

For such an "expert", you forget various manufacturers SUCKED!

Mine sucked, SUCKED DAY ONE!
>>
>>962958
So you broke your rifle down and packed it? And people weren't suspicious of hearing gun shots on the trail?
>>
>>962947
>obviously a caged man expressing his self-doubt and fear of mortality
>>
>>962961
Dude, it's a troll thread. Accepting that helpds your reality.
>>
>>962960
Never said I was an "expert" at anything is your autism flaring up?
>>
I wish to do this in north-eastern NewYork, or possibly to go on a cross country walk. Any gear tips, specifically footwear, and/or packs?
>>
>>962961
No gun shots are basically never actually reported, even in cities.

>>962973
Upwards of 100L, try to have it be a dry bag, but really any hobo can do this.

No need to be a gear fag just go your pace and keep yourself fed. If that means you need to hunt 2 more hours than a more skilled or lucky guy, so be it.
>>
>>962964
Ya i figured. It got my hopes up though.
>>
k
>>
>>962964
>>962981
Certainly not a troll thread.

Stop being so hateful and jealous to people that are strong willed.

>>962962
0/10
>>
Poaching tip: Use subsonic .22lr out of a bolt action. Doesn't have the "crack" that stuff over 1110fps does. The sound carries 1/3 the distance. Won't scare away other nearby game. Won't make your ears ring when only taking a few shots. 10/22 will cycle it reliably if you put in a slightly lighter bolt spring.
>>
>>962988
Good information.

But eating squirrels and rabbits and bass and bluegill is hardly poaching.
>>
File: 1403582319363.png (89KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1403582319363.png
89KB, 625x626px
>>962983
Beyond a shadow of a doubt.
>>
OP's claims are questionable at best.
>>
File: IMG_0964.jpg (53KB, 640x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0964.jpg
53KB, 640x920px
>>962807
>march 5th
>just did the AT
>while living off the land
>>
>>962993
It is if I catch you doing it on my land. I get the "no one really owns land and animals" natural law thing. But the reality is that I might shoot you for hunting the land and animals under my care. If you ask first and have a decent reason, I likely won't mind.
>>
>>962998
>>963000
>>963006
Lol, what exactly is difficult about shooting squirrels in the eastern u.s. and wearning 2 pairs of wool socks every day?

Lol hobos do this same shit, while drunk, and no socks. WAY worse food than me, too.
>>
>>963026
And I respect your right to shoot me. But I am stealthy as possible, and likely on public land, not private as I am anti social. Remember, just small game and very sneaky and only what I need. The same as what a real animal does.
>>
File: this really happened.jpg (84KB, 699x476px) Image search: [Google]
this really happened.jpg
84KB, 699x476px
Posting in epic LARP bread.
>>
File: sneakysylvester.gif (11KB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
sneakysylvester.gif
11KB, 300x237px
>>963030
M'kay.
>>
I'll take the bait my fellow anons.

So my good friend. Please enlighten me on how you found a good nights rest?
>>
>>962807
Oh Grand Wizard of the AT, please grace us with pics of this wondrous event which really did happen!
>>
>>962807
So what about the days with shit weather where no game is to be found? When the rivers rise and also make fishing impossible?
>>
>>963319
I experienced 2 days total without food and both were about a month apart from each other.

If you gather food, hell even dig the trash or previous campers and store it while you hunt or fish you're limitless.

Was comfortable with not having a kill for 2-3 days.

>>963286
Didn't bring camera because of my anxiety of people I absolutely want no fame. That's why I'm here on an anonymous image board.

>>963267
Being sleepy! Seriously.
>>
>>963390
Dig the trash FROM previous campers**

Am considering finding a canoe somewhere and seeing if I can do a really long river adventure with the same concepts of fishing and hunting for all food.
>>
B-Bob? That you?
>>
>>962807
How long did it take you?
>>
>>963678
Just below 5 months, or 142 days.

Didn't go for speed. Stayed in places. Walked back and fourth, too.
>>
>>962807
>>962807
You're my hero!!
>>
>>962988
True story. I hunt with a bolt .22 using standard vel. Ammo. SK Std + specifically. The sound of the round hitting the tree is slightly louder than the shot.
>>
>>963735
So you averaged 15 miles a day only hiking till mid day as well as zero days and hiking back and forth?

How much weight did you lose?
>>
What kind of snowshoes did you use?
>>
>>964582
I did not actually note if I gained or lost weight. I'm the same build as when I did this.

I'm very anxious and regularly walk 30 miles or more just to keep calm on days I'm stuck in society.

In the woods I can finally take it easy.

>>964594
Boots. One pair of boots. Lots of goddamned wool socks. Enough wool socks to not need boots at all. A lot of times when boots needed some time off, I would walk with 3 or 4 pairs of wool socks depending on weather. If it was icy or wet, I'd go for 4. Soft snow is fun and just needs 3.
So I've decided this Summer I'll be finding a canoe that isn't being tended to and go on a journey through the Mississippi and wherever it takes me. Same ideas, hunt or forage for all food, but trash is also acceptable. Avoid people at all costs, as they like to ask questions and find it very odd that a person would live like this.
>>
>>964678
I'm the same build as before I did this*

Slight mis-type

So after a few more really good adventures I'd imagine I attempt to do this worldwide, or stay in America and just wonder around the entire country doing this.

I would consider living in one place, but I get paranoid about being noticable and eventually somebody would find me. Also, I just plainly like to always keep moving.
>>
File: 1481652601932.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1481652601932.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>962807
I want to believe, but I fear this is merely an elaborate ruse. Do you want honest discourse? If so, here's what you do:
>take camera on next grand adventure
>start thread here before you go
>photograph things along journey (e.g. kills, meals, camps; nothing location specific)
>poast em as you go

Without proofs, you just seem like an amateur baiter. This is, after all, an anonymous IMAGE BOARD.
>>
>>964683
Honestly it really doesn't matter to me what others think. I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't take the cookie when my ego wanted a cookie.

I'm a loner, found 4chan a long time ago. I do love it. Really, it's the main thing I engage in when I'm not in the woods. I do have one single friend that helps support me when I venture back, we grew up together from a young age. I don't ask for much though.

The facts are
1) I'm illegally camping, fishing, hunting, trespassing, potentially vandalism and theft as well
2) I'm an anxious man and would absolutely lose my damn mind knowing strangers all over the world knew who I was
3) I try not to buy or carry that which I do not need

The documentation simply won't happen as it's a logistical issue.

Maybe in the future, if I happen to feel and act differently. Doubtful.
>>
>>964679
Yeah, no. Everybody loses weight on the trail. Even if they're eating like mad they lose on average 20-30lbs. In the winter time they burn even more calories. You may not have noted how much weight you lost, but you would not be the same build.

Also 15 miles a day in the winter, in the mountains with no snow shoes? Again, no. There would be long sections of the trail where you would be up to your knees or waist in snow unless you had snowshoes.

I know this thread has always been as lie, I just wanted to see if you've done your homework and would lie appropriately.

Ya blew it, thread isn't fun anymore.
>>
>>962839
lol

AR7 is trash

I'd much rather take a marlin papoose or something
>>
>>962909
>AR-7 had no jams.

and that's how i know you're lying
>>
>>964775
Really that's how you know he's lying?
>>
>>964814
>>964775
>>964774
Pathetic memers

Only gun I ever owned that jammed on me was a stupid ass M1 Carbine that was made in the 70s.

Regardless, even if the AR-7 DID jam, I'm a goddamned man and can solve the problem within a few seconds and the douchebag squirrel probably wouldn't have even left yet.

No, gun was extremely reliable and I trust it fully.

P.s. you arent supposed to get guns muddy or go swimming with them
>>
>>964727
No you're just making stuff up.

The first time I did something nobody believed, it was a 70 mile run when I was 15.

I don't think you fully grasp my mental status, I am willing to travel by crawling on my belly if I have to. And I have.

The snow was a complete non-issue and I did not experience snow above my knees.

For the average persom, 15 miles is difficult. Sure. That's 4-5 hours for me in bad terrain. Less than 3 hours on flat ground.

I'm a mad man.

Really, walking was the least of my work.
>>
P.s. to you fools, I was often struck in awe by how much free time I had

I'd complete that days work, but because I lacked certain materials I couldn't prepare well for the future so when my day was done, it was done.

It isn't hard to walk.
It isn't hard to carry 40lbs.
It isn't hard especially if you take your time.
It REALLY isn't hard if you enjoy yourself.
I knew I would have no issues getting enough food.
My main concern was the cold, which turned out to be fairly easy weather as well.

I brought enough clothes for negative 15 degrees, I only wore the whole set for the last few days.

Getting cold at night is different due to inactivity, this is where your preparedness comes in. Be okay with spending 2 hours getting firewood. But also consider how to have a shelter. Personally, I had 2 tarps and rope and 1 roll up mat. I'd use the tarps for bad weather and directing air flow, while the pad would keep me off the ground.

My toes would be mildly numb when I woke up on particularly cold days, but that was the extent of how cold I got.
>>
>>964727
My life has less physical activity in the woods than it does in society, fyi.

I'm not even going to bother telling you my calorie intake because you'll just scream more misinformed bullshit at me.
>>
>>964821
>No you're just making stuff up

Prove me wrong. Go ahead, winter thru-hikes are well documented.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>964826
Sure people have struggled with poor weather.

I'm convinced it's due to mentality. I've paid attention to this, and it's certainly easier to get colder if you're not confident.

You seem to not realize that I was operating under stealth conditions due to the methods I was using to get food. Often times, I would be traveling at a much lower elevation than what's documented as the trail. I could be up to a mile away from the trail itself at many times.

Tip: If you see a giant ass hill with 3 feet of snow and you can't see in front of you... GO AROUND.

It isn't that hard. I could see how it would be hard for functional people, hell, I didn't even bring a watch. What race am I going on? I'm not going on one!
>>
>>964841
So you bushwhacked 15 miles a day, for a half day only, often without shoes on, eating only squirrels, fish, wild plants and trash, with a cheap rifle that never once malfunctioned, in the winter time and still finished the whole 2000+ mile trail in a time that is considered quick even for summer hikers and you could have done it faster but you wanted to take your time.

OP, there's really only one response to such an amazing tail of human will and endurance.

>You have to be 18 to post on 4chan, kid.
>>
Actually, going around snowy mountains rather than over them would increase your distance significantly, so you would have to average more than 15 miles a day.

OP, I know you can run 70 miles on a road and walk 30 miles in the city, but you had to be hauling some serious ass to make that distance in 142 days.
>>
>>964867
Or just maybe I'm an extremely driven individual with physical abilities far greater then the typical person, even the typical hiker. I'm in incredible physical shape and have a large tolerance for endurance.

No, it wasn't bush whacking. Not even close. The northern parts of the trail has forests where you can easily find the path of least resistance without losing much time at all. Southern and central parts of the trail, I'd agree are more difficult to traverse through the woods directly. Still not impossible. Still fairly easy to maintain a full walking pace. I'm pretty native to these woods, and can run 12 mph for miles(and have done this) through what you say requires "bushwhacking". I'm not superman. I am TRULY more acclimated to the outdoors than society. I have spent a lot of time in the woods.

>>964880
I don't think I ever walked more than 12 hours in one day. It's nice to get your hunting done while you walk, too. Not always possible, but nice.

Would usually walk half days.

My typical walking pace is 5-6 mph on flat land. Would say I maintained 2-3 mph even through nearly vertical terrain.
And YES, I have considered doing Ironmans and Ultramarathons. My social anxiety prevents me from doing these activities. So I do similar activities alone by myself.
>>
Bushwhacking is more of a summer thing anyways.

Tip for walking in snow? Look at where you step, and pick your knees up higher.

Why does the vast majorty of society think physical activity to be so goddamned difficult? It seriously doesn't cross my mind until I try to talk with others about what I LOVE TO DO.
>>
>>964916
It's not that we think physical effort is difficult, I live hiking and putting in 15 miles days. It's just that hiking the AT is something that is well documented so what even very fit, very experienced hikers are capable of is well known. You are not claiming that your abilities exceed average hikers, you are claiming that your abilities exceed some of the best, most experienced hikers in the world.

I do believe one thing about your thread, OP. I believe you have crippling social anxiety
>>
>>964921
No. Those professionals you're talking about made sure to stay 100% on the trail. MUCH more difficult than what I did, even with the added miles I gave myself. It's about output per day and those ego maniacs that think they need to hit every peak are just breaking themselves.

There were times when the path of least resistance for me was a road. That's just how it works. I still did the damn A.T., but I know very well how to keep moving and preserve energy.

Also, I am DEFINATELY in the same training level as those professional athletes. 4 years ago I ran a 4:30 mile. I've got athletic ability. I know for sure that I can operate my body for a lot longer than even some ultramarathoners.

Big thing to say, I get it. I'm confident in this regard. In fact I've only ever met one person with more endurance than me, and that person does Ironmans in 9 hours.
I do believe anybody can attain this physical level, but you MUST change your entire lifestyle. You will gain endurance by large amounts if you live full time in the woods.
>>
I could have jogged the damn thing you folks are absurd.

The world is a very big place, and not everybody works in an office. Not everybody drives for travel, too.

Humans are vast, some are 700lbs and stuck in bed, while others still endurance hunt large game to this very day. It's so wide a margin, and thereby silly of all of you to attempt to segment me into the lower margin.
>>
>>962839

That's such a shit rifle.
>>
>Hey guys, I just hiked the whole AT. It was fookin' easy! I'm a badass!

>What about all the hard parts of trail?

>Oh, I didn't do those. I hiked on the road instead.
>>
>>965053
I was never over a mile away from any trail. So, eat dicks.

I've answered more than enough questions.

You guys are just massive pussies.

I need to find an outlet of people that are on par with my level.

Pathetic little baby boy scouts, all of you.
>>
>>965074
Bye Felicia
>>
>>962807
This is my dream
>>
>>965074
so you did it, what was the best part?
>>
File: 1489170025878.jpg (48KB, 620x700px) Image search: [Google]
1489170025878.jpg
48KB, 620x700px
>>964678
>I would walk with 3 or 4 pairs of wool socks depending on weather. If it was icy or wet, I'd go for 4. Soft snow is fun and just needs 3.
>>
>>962947
If everyone was as stupid as this the AT would be barren of all life. Go McCandles yourself next time.
>>
>>964913
nude pics for proof
>>
>>962807ive
>was made homeless literally days after finishing assembling my dream backpacking rig
>start living in the george washington national forest
>never eaten so much shit out of a river/creek before
>never will again
p.s. dont forget to bum a shower at your aunts place to fuck the occasional tinder girl
>>
>>964913
>And YES, I have considered doing Ironmans and Ultramarathons

lmfao get the fuck off the internet for like.... 6 years you fuckin troll
>>
>>962835
All 22 questions can be answered with "ruger 10-22".
>>
>>964913
>Or just maybe I'm an extremely driven individual with physical abilities far greater then the typical person

Top kek. My sides OP, they're gone in the woods with you. Take care of them please.
>>
>>967335
>>967456
>>968556
>>968559
>>968807

OP left, let this silly ass thread die
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.