[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are aquaponic systems actually worth it, cost, space, and labor/maintenance-wise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: cheap-aquaponics-system.jpg (150KB, 873x572px) Image search: [Google]
cheap-aquaponics-system.jpg
150KB, 873x572px
Are aquaponic systems actually worth it, cost, space, and labor/maintenance-wise?
Would I be better off with a normal garden and/or greenhouse, and a pond for fish farming?
>>
I have literally no idea. Looks cool though.
>>
Ask in the DIY
>>
Aquaponics doesn't have to be expensive, I'm running a system where I just stick tomato plants through Styrofoam, and float the Styrofoam in a container of water.
>>
>>962503
see
>>958315
>>
>>962503
The initial startup is costly. For a small 30 gallon setup you're going to have to buy

>30 gallon tank
>5-10 fish
>fish food
>air pump
>bubble disk
>heater
>filtration
>live rock (for good bacteria)
>water softener
>liquid carbon
>water testing kit (Ammonia, nitrite, phosphate PH)
>plant growing medium
>growing light

This is assuming you're going to grow the plants on top of the tank, and not use a system that would pump water to an external container, and then back to the tank

After that, your only real costs are plant food, adding water every so often, and electricity

I'm growing 4 strawberry plants that fruit all year with a similar system, except I pump to an external box that houses the strawberries
>>
>>962503
Depends on the goal. If the idea is just to use fish emulsion as fertilizer and take what you can out of the garden, or just as a general hobby/proof of concept, then it's totally worth it; if you're looking to save on food costs the electricity and fish feed is going to cost you more than buying vegetables.

Also, certain foods (and weed) don't taste very good when grown in fish tanks.
>>
>>963534
>if you're looking to save on food costs the electricity and fish feed is going to cost you more than buying vegetables

This is more what I am looking at.
Though ideally I would be doing some solar.
>>
>>962653
I thought the floating raft system was mainly used for cabbage and spinach and etc. Have you experienced any problems with the tomato plants being unstable on the the Styrofoam?
>>
>>963599
Solar would be enough to power pumps if you grow outside, assuming that you also have a battery bank to run the pumps off of at night. But you'll never build an array big enough to fruit plants under artificial light, run A/C to keep the heat generated by the lights down, and all of the other gizmos like auto-feeders, CO2 timers, air exchange systems and dehumidifiers running. I had a 12'x12' grow space that cost me about $300/mo in electricity, and I wasn't even using HPS, that would be closer to $1,200/mo.

If you're only growing vegetables indoors, and not fruit or flowers, you can get away with using T5s, which aren't prohibitively expensive to operate and even a few 8-bulb ballasts wouldn't require installing all that other equipment; maybe still put in a cheap dehumidifier, just to prevent mold.

Actually now that I think about it, it'd probably be easier to just tell you how I'd set everything up, but I'd need to know what you're growing, the space with dimensions you plan on using, and what kind of climate you live in to really dial in the specs.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.