[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here a Park Ranger or Game Warden? What do you do all day?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1488289268814.jpg (133KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1488289268814.jpg
133KB, 1600x1067px
Anyone here a Park Ranger or Game Warden? What do you do all day?
>>
>>960160
Lol. Last game warden i met told me they do a basic training thing. And he gave me his card. Told me to sober up and apply.

Its 10am and im drunk. Sry texas. I want to serve you but i'm indisposed at the moment
>>
>>960160
I'm a (((Biological Science Technician))) and I get paid to hike, handle animals, spray invasive weeds, and whatever random bullshit they need done day to day.
>>
Canuck here. I worked as a park ranger one summer between highschool. My job was to drive a truck around and walk trails and maintain them. If plots were messy I would clean them up. Pretty chill job took a lot of afternoon naps by the lake.
>>
>>960160
Basically just keep the gays out of the forest as to not let them coat everything in cum
>>
>>960160
Yeah. They sound like, "Mereboychugotcyurlisins".
>>
Any foresters/related? I'm thinking about majoring forestry and need more info on it
>>
File: survey-crew.gif (17KB, 650x331px) Image search: [Google]
survey-crew.gif
17KB, 650x331px
I'm a "Forestry Technician" but I work primarily Dev Rec and Trails.

I'm responsible for keeping all of the sites in order in a busy day use area. I generally manage seasonal employees in the summer and work solo in the winter.

Summer is opening all of the picnic sites/trailheads/trails. A lot of clean up, hazard tree removal, logging out and brushing back trails. Site inspections, fixing broken tables, fire rings, grills, painting, repairing bathroom doors that get broken. That type of thing. Keeping trails from getting washed out, completing minor alignments and re-tread projects. A lot of the work is just basic maintenance: cleaning bathrooms, digging out fire pits, weed whacking parking lots, etc.

Winter is some of the same but more pushing snow around and more work in the office getting shit ready for the summer.
>>
>>960564
I'm back for a M.S. in forestry. It's a good job but the better you get the less you get to roam the forest as you progress/become more managerial. I've worked for Fed/State/Private but all within Northern hardwoods(upper midwest/northeast) so I cannot speak for out west outside I know they are much more regulatory.

In private industry:
You can do consulting which is nice but often just cruising timber.
Work for a timber company which will have you managing a large set of land. (50k acres depending)
Be a tree worker/urban forester
Work utility lines ensuring they're clear and contemplate death.
Pros: you can manage land to the way you want to an extent/variety in tasks
Cons: You have to deal with people and juggling demands/budgets.

Federal:
Basically do the tasks set forth in the job description and nothing else. So if you're a timber inventory analysis guy you cruise and mark timber. Pretty much nothing else and not much with thought. Biggest downside is red tape or monotony. Pros: pretty much cannot be fired.

State:
Pretty much somewhere in the middle. Not a ton more tasks but since the area is smaller you can do things such as be on call for wildland fire or other random things.
Pros: gov job with good benefits and lots of time off
Cons: good luck getting a promotion
>>
>>960160

You have to be a jack of all trades. Fix fences and shit.
>>
>>960232
What sort of qualifications did you have to have to land that job?

I have obligations this summer but I'm going to try to get an outdoor job (maybe fire lookout) next summer.
>>
File: handymen.png (363KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
handymen.png
363KB, 640x360px
>>960612
>You have to be a jack of all trades. Fix fences and shit.

Handymen, Earl...we are hand-E-men...
>>
>>960669
There are very few fire lookout jobs left, most likely you won't get one. They do it by satellite now.

Qualifactions for a BST is a bachelors degree in wildlife/fisheries/biology/zoology
>>
>>962729
They tore all the towers down in my state, except one for historical purposes. Seems like constant airplane and satellite monitoring would cost more, but I guess not.
>>
>>962729
Or you have to be a veteran, it seems they can get really technical jobs by just casually walking by a biology lecture at some point in their life.

>>962777
It's all mostly automated. They can catch fires quicker and pinpoint exact locations right as it starts. It's pretty cool tech and it just piggy backs off of existing satellites.
>>
Anybody study forestry? Looking into it and wondering if it's worth it
>>
>>960592
>>962812
Nvm, didn't notice this
>>
I am a USPS Forest Ranger. What we enjoy the most is picking out one family or group and hassling them in tag team, good ranger/bad ranger fashion. Mostly darkies, India/pakis and Arabs, for me

Roust obvious dopers for thier weed, threaten to arrest them if they don't put it in the fire is my fav ploy. You should see thier faces!

Hit on young chicks in all girl groups, works for bjs, sometimes.

I've never flattened tire, but my buddies do. In fact, they pull rougher shit than I do. This one time, my buddy big guy, 300# plus kinda date raped this little college girl, I mean, she didn't say no, so fuck it, right, that's not rape?

I pull past people obviously trying to flag me down, check everyone for passes, at all times and give vague, even wrong directions to asians.

It's a pretty cool job.
>>
>>960592
Do you enjoy it
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>962819
>USPS Forest Ranger
For when your mail absolutely, positively, is addressed to a bear in the woods.
>>
>>962834
Kek
>>
>>962819
Who hurt you so badly anon?
>>
>>960564
Currently getting a BS in Forestry down south right now.

Basically everything >>960592 said except you will basically HAVE to get a masters or higher to do any kind of real work, especially with the federal and state side.

Most everyone down here ends up getting employed by the big timber companies, Westrock is the big new one right now.

It boils down to:
Do you want to eventually make a LOT of money? >Private timber companies.

Do you want ultimate job security and basically a guaranteed paycheck with eventual retirement? >Governmental forestry.
>>
>>963119
Yeah its good to be back in school thought too. I always enjoyed the science and research aspect in silviculture the most.
>>962820
Yep get that cushy job with a state that lets you try new ideas and gives you a paid month off every year. That's the dream.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.