[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Camping/Bugout Bag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 1487343337192.jpg (123KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487343337192.jpg
123KB, 683x1024px
Hey boys, /k/ommando here. So about an hour ago, I spent about $140 on the following.

-Big ass backpack
-Hatchet
-First Aid Gear
-Folding Saw
-Knife
-Multitool
-Hygiene items
-Headlamp
-Flares

What other things would you deem necessary for a camping or bugout bag? I still need a tent/hammock, and I'm not sure where I should be looking for that, either. Pls halp, /out/.
>>
Gloves depending on climate sleeping bag and/or tent
>>
>>959628
For camping just shelter and food really. Since you're from /k/ just add (you don't really have to) your handgun/rifle/whatever floats your boat and you're done.

For prepping it's pretty much the same shit, food and shelter. Natural disasters are the only thing that can really happen so don't over complicate it, full societal collapse it's never going to happen.
>>
>>959628
ok, bring what you think you need. For a beginner I would start with:
> water
> food
> Rain jacket/pants or poncho
> sleeping bag
> sleeping mat
> shoes
> spare set of cloths
> swim wear

I skiped some items you already listed.
>>
Firemaking tools! Bic lighter and a ferrocerium rod. Plus cotton pads immersed in petroleum jelly, store in a small plastic jar with tight lid.
>>
Don't cheapout on a backpack. you might feel fine for an hour or two but when it's on your back every day and it starts to hurt then you're fucked.
take some shelter, some pre prepared tinder, etc. better clothes as well
>>
>>959628
>lists $700 worth of gear
>spent $140 on it
oh yeah, you won't regret that, anon
>>
File: 1487219455642.jpg (12KB, 267x323px) Image search: [Google]
1487219455642.jpg
12KB, 267x323px
>>959659
>paying 700 dollars for basic shit
>>
File: unsafe area.png (85KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
unsafe area.png
85KB, 270x187px
>>959679
>cheaping out on critical gear
>>
>>959659
>>959679
>>959911
Doing the math, here.

>-Big ass backpack
Likely, where OP fucked up. Let's say $45
>-Hatchet
Probably some cheap Coghlan's. $8
>-First Aid Gear
Nothing you couldn't assemble from your home. $10
>-Folding Saw
Definitely not the $60 version. $12
>-Knife
Nothing fancy, but guessing full tang. Camillus? $20
>-Multitool
Some not-quite Leatherman. $30
>-Hygiene items
The "travel" section at Wal-Mart. $4
>-Headlamp
RayoVac or equivalent on clearance. $8
>-Flares
toplel. $10?

I don't know, anon. I guess we've all been there - starting a kit. You're really better off investing in good quality gear. It's not a meme.

Some might swear by milsurp (and there's nothing wrong with using what you like) and others may not. Civilian gear is proven to be lighter and more capable. The shit can get expensive. You'll find out real quick if the stuff you bought isn't up to snuff.
>>
>>959628
Fire starting tools. Get a lighter. Then get a ferro rod and steel. Learn how to strike the rod, it takes practice. Start with cotton rolled in vaseline. Move on to plain paper. Finally, try and ignite dry grass/moss/leaves.

Water filter. Can't go wrong with a Life Straw.

Vet Wrap. Add it to your first aid kit. I guarantee it works better than any med tape around. Costs $1-2 per roll at a feed store.

Duct tape.

Paracord. I like the 750 by Tough Grid. If you go with regular 550 make sure it's not a knock-off and has a marker strand, etc, inside it.

Wool Blanket/Sleeping bag. Depends on if you are camping or using your vehicle.

Mylar blankets if cold weather is a concern.

Food
Water
Clothing
Maps of the surrounding area. Pick up the old USGS maps from a Army Surplus store. Probably the best topographical maps available.
>>
>>959628
Step-by-step bugout bag for dummies:

Step 1. Clothes. Just because you are dressed, doesn't mean you are properly dressed. Something like a fleece jacket, and some thermal underwear can make a big difference in comfort. Also - hat and/or beanie to keep your head warm (you lose a lot of body heat through the head), working gloves (protection from thorny bushes, cuts and shit) and warm gloves/mittens. Rain poncho (even a cheap, thin plastic one). Spare socks.

Step 2: Shelter. Here's the thing. In a bugout situation, you don't want to waste your time building a shelter from scratch (when materials may, or may not be available) every time, when you are on the move. Bring a sleeping bag, and a tent. At the very least, bring mylar, and plastic, and cordage to make a super shelter.

When camping, a tent is obviously your first choice here.
Also - sleeping bag and blanket - besides hypothermia, being cold and miserable is something you want to avoid.

Step 3: supplies.
Don't go strangling possums for food the first thing when you get out. Bring your own supplies of high calories food (jerky, gorp, whatever), and drinking water.
Something you can eat cold, and means to cook yourself a meal (portable stove, or at least a pot to use over a campfire).

Step 4: Tools. A knife, axe or hatchet, multitool or pocket knife. Light. If using a rechargable flashlight, solar power bank is a good idea (also to keep your phone working).

Step 5: medicine (basic meds + any prescription meds you need, anti-diahrrea), anti septic, something for cuts. DEET (for bugs and ticks).
>>
Good sleeping bag, don't know where you are but you should look into the seasonal ratings and the weights of each, a good bag is a key piece of kit.

I'd either slim down the axe/saw/knife combo, usually you can do with two or even one.
I've made this mistake before and now I just use a Becker BK9 coupled with a leatherman and serves 99% of all tasks.

I think most people underestimate the weight of all this kit, worst case scenario is you're going to have to lug it around for miles for days on end
>>
File: TLDR.gif (632KB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
TLDR.gif
632KB, 225x180px
>>960087
>(you lose a lot of body heat through the head)
MYTH. Read a book you troglodyte.
>>
>>959654
why have the cotton balls in petroleum jelly?
>>
>>960364
Why do you think?
>>
>>960389
I honestly have no idea. Is it to grease the ferrocerium rod so it doesn't rust?
>>
>>960393
for starting a fire, the jelly+cotton takes a spark easy
>>
>>960349
I stand corrected.

It has to do with lowering core body temperature, not heat loss.
>>
>>960364

So that it burns better. Give it a bit of a spark and it burns even if the weather is shit, moist and windy. In other words, you can use the things to help start your fires.

Maybe you will cook with gas or ethanol or gasoline or whatevrr but it is good to have fire making tools with you.
>>
>>960364
better than birch bark and dryer lint of you ask me.
>>
>>960038
>Can't go wrong with a Life Straw.
Does tricking other people into buying inferior gear make you feel better better about your idiotic purchase? Sawyer is the way to go.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.