[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter camping tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Algonquin-Park-skiing-125hsrs.jpg (104KB, 660x437px) Image search: [Google]
Algonquin-Park-skiing-125hsrs.jpg
104KB, 660x437px
So I'm doing my first winter camping trip. What should I keep in mind when it comes to staying alive
>>
>>958881
>too stupid to include critical information like location, duration and style in question
>expects to survive any situation where someone isn't holding his hand and spoonfeeding him
i'd honestly be impressed if you could stay alive in a holiday inn in orlando, you fucking retard
>>
>>958892
Three days, Algonquin Park, light
>>
>>958881
>first winter camping trip

This is going to be right in your backyard right? Because that is where you start when you do something completely new. That way you learn about the equipment you already own and will learn what you will need when you finally go out into the wilderness to do that. Same goes for the skills needed.

The biggest thing is learning to recognize hypothermia & frost bite and how to prevent them so get googling on that.
>>
Put a bottle of hot water in your sleeping bag at night.
>>
File: IMG_9797.jpg (10KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9797.jpg
10KB, 227x225px
>>958881
Bring an empty water bottle to piss in at night, so you don't need to go outsize half naked in subzero temperatures.
>>
>>958941
That's part of the fun actually. Also, you shouldn't be needing to take a piss in the middle of the night. You drinking alcohol or eating stuff with lots of sugar?
>>
If you aren't staying in a tent, build your shelter small to conserve heat and pack it full of dry leaves. Getting up to pee in the cold feels glorious once you dive back into your steaming warm shelter
>>
>>958942
tell my kidneys that
>>
File: diabeetus.jpg (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
diabeetus.jpg
17KB, 640x480px
>>958975
>tell my kidneys that
>>
>>958881

Extra socks

Waterproof boots

Extra socks

Layers

Hand warmers

Extra socks
>>
Ok here are some tips for serious winter trips. Take them with a grain of salt if your trip is more casual:

- A warm enough sleeping bag goes without saying
- Two sleeping mats
- Layered clothing: Synthetic or wool closest to skin, then more synthetic or wool, then outer layer that blocks the wind. If temperatures are only just around freezing then you must bring waterproofs, if well below freezing all the time something like polycotton can do just fine for outer layer.
- Bring a termo flask or insulate your water bottle yourself to keep your water from freezing.
- A roomier tent is a good idea, since you will be spending time in your tent. Being able to cook in your tent's apsis is a must if you're going to be exposed to the elements (not in a forest, of in harsh weather).
- If this is going to be in serious winter conditions then a light snow showel is a must for many things like securing the tent, diggin a "kitchen" in the apsis, diggin a toilet, collecting clean(!) snow for cooking and drinking and more.
- Gas sucks in very low temperatures (some winter-mixes exist tho) so you might want to use a multi-fuel burner if your not in a place where you can light a fire. Bring plenty of fuel.
- Have thin gloves with good dexterity and thicher ones - maybe mittens - over them. This way you don't have to expose your hands everytime you need to do something.
- Bring enough food. You burn more calories in the winter when outside
- Remember to drink. People tend to forget to hydrate when they are cold

Have fun
>>
>>958938
This, or even 3 or 4
>>
I'll be /out/ in Siberia for almost two weeks. Ice skating on Lake Baikal and camping on the ice. Gear will be transported in sleds.

Didn't see anything new itt, we're packing the proper equipment, got food sorted out, have moderate (me) to extensive (my companion) experience with the cold etc. Anything we may've missed?
>>
>>958942
>you shouldn't be needing to take a piss in the middle of the night
I never NEED to piss at night but I can't sleep if I feel the slightest pressure.
>>
If you are using a nalgene water bottle carry it upside down so that the cap doesn't freeze shut.
>>
>>959460
same here i just end up thinking about it constantly
>>
>>959460
>>961749
>not pissing before going to bed and sleeping the duration because you've been active all day
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.