[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bow Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: bow_hunter.jpg (274KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
bow_hunter.jpg
274KB, 2048x1365px
Any bow hunters here? Been thinking about trying it over using a rifle or shotgun. Looking for any pros/cons or general information for a beginner.
>>
I hunt with traditional bows (recurve and longbow). If you start on traditionals, compounds seem like using a gun. I can defiantly group better with a compound, but it's not as fast or as fun.
>>
If you are just trying to kill animals, you can't beat a firearm. You can shoot hundreds of yards with a scoped rifle. You can shoot out to maybe a hundred yards with a good shotgun. A compound bow is a great tool for forty yards and in, and a traditional bow is about a twenty yard weapon (in general).

To be a bowhunter, you have to love the concept and the method...or perhaps want to hunt in an area that is bow only. For those of us who love it, we wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as tips, your need to ask more specific questions. Saying tell me about bowhunting is like saying tell me about fishing, cooking, art, or anything else....there is just so much, for a format like this.
>>
>>958909

This post is BS.

If you want to be ethical use a compound bow -- I see too many of these Robin Hood Hipsters running around in the forest maiming animals.

Crossbow is like using a gun, a compound bow is still extremely challenging yet a superior hunting tool when compared to a traditional bow -- Acurracy, Speed and Power -- Compound wins and so does the animal you are trying to harvest.
>>
>>958696

Ex-firearm hunter here, switched to compound bow a couple years ago. Never going back. Hunting with a gun is basically like driving to the meat department of the grocery store.

If you want a challenge, and are not upset if you get skunked on a regular basis, bowhunting is for you. Otherwise, stick to rifles if you are strictly just harvesting meat and not in it for the love of the outdoors.

Not a fan of traditional bowhunting, sure there are some talented guys out there but to me its unethical for the most part.
>>
>>958915

Compound Bow Hunter here -- I have never killed anything past 30 yds, and 9/10 its at 20 yds or less.

Traditional is another story, no interest commenting on the merry men of the world.
>>
>>958915
This is not always correct. For some game, in some places, bow hunting is easier than rifle hunting. Elk in some western states for example; the archery season is up to 6+ weeks long and coincides with the rut, giving you much more time and making it much easier to call in a bull than during the 10 day post-rut rifle season.
>>
>>958959

Agreed that season is usually longer (is in Canada as well) but this is for good reason -- its much more difficult to bag an animal with a Bow than a rifle. So no, not easier just more opportunity time-wise to assist in the degree in difficulty.
>>
>>958696
This is a bit vague, but here are some basic tips getting started and a couple pros vs cons.

>Go to a proshop
Don't try to order a bow offline, take the time to get measured for usable draw weight, draw length, etc. Having the right bow for you, and your target species, is essential. Having staff to explain all the components of a modern bow is also a must

>Arrow choice
Don't pick up any old arrow at Walmart or Canadian tire, get arrows that are cut fit your bow. Mechanical or fixed blade is up to you, but make sure you spend a bit of money here, it pays off for you and your prey.

>Practise
Practise as often as is reasonably possible. When you feel you are making tight groups (which are ethical groups) at each range of the sight pins, start switching it up. Practise shooting from a tree stand or downward from a hill, practise shooting at angles other than straight on, practise drawing and shooting from a sitting position as you might in a stand or blind, etc.

>pros
Sense of achievement, longer hunting season, hunting during the rut, less hunters innawoods, improves overall ability to know your game animal's behavior, your leftist friends on social media are less likely to bitch at you since all but the most ardent PETA purists consider bow hunting to be fair chase, less animal pressure than during rifle season so you get a better guage of natural animal behavior

>Cons
Takes a lot of practise, often requires learning a new skill like calling or patience, increased chance of losing a wounded animal (severely reduced based on how much you practised and personal shot ethics.)
>>
>>958963
I agree with you, but modern laws, bows, and hunter performance, have given bow hunters the same success rates as rifle hunters in many places. It is technically harder sometimes, but the extra time and season, allow bow hunters to kill at the same rate as rifle hunters.
In New Brunswick where I live bow season now allows crossbows too, which may actually give bow hunting a higher success rate than rifle hunters.
>>
>>958948
Not even gonna argue with your lame unskilled ass. If you want to bring ethics into it, then don't fucking hunt at all. NO MEAT FOR YOU!
>>
>>958977
Research from the University of Adelaide has shown that plants send animal like signals normally associated with animals when they are under stress or threat. So unless you are only eating fruit and vegetables that have naturally fallen from the tree or vine, you are killing something that knows and doesn't want to die.
>>
File: 37c.gif (756KB, 241x182px) Image search: [Google]
37c.gif
756KB, 241x182px
>>958696
Pros: can't shoot yourself in the head

Cons: can't shoot yourself in the head
>>
>>958991
The Jain's of India won't eat onions because they believe onions are sentient. That sound you hear when you slice one is the onion screaming.
>>
>>959002
I cry everytime
>>
>>958977

Standard traditional bow homo mentality -- zero respect for the animal and too stupid to realize what he is doing wrong. I pray for the day your little fingers stop working and you are forced to give up missing rabbits on weekends.
>>
>>959020
Pussy
>>
>>959023
More mental midgetry from a trad-hipster, beard oil wannabe hunter. Come back when you have harvested something that weighs more than 15lbs with your faggot bow faggot.
>>
>>959029
Awww. Did da pushy broke iz fibwa optic shights. Oh nowes! E weft iz twigga tinggy home! Nowe meats twoday nwaamfag.
>>
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

I hunt with traditional bows and have done so for a long time. Yes there are guys out there who are in love with the concept of being traditional but do not possess the skill to hunt ethically. That being said, a traditional bow in the hands of a skilled archery is every bit as effective as any other weapon (within it's range).

There are people in all methods of hunting that do not hold themselves to a high standard. Rifle guys that if the deer doesn't fall, just assume they missed. Compound guys that shoot out way farther than they should, or take bad angles, bird hunters blasting at birds to high or far.

My point being, it's more about the person than what they are holding.

While I have missed the occasional rabbit on the weekend, I have killed hundreds of animals with my traditional bows.
>>
File: 500.jpg (440KB, 624x770px) Image search: [Google]
500.jpg
440KB, 624x770px
>>958977

why do you think hunting is releated to abuse and animal cruelty? A REAL HUNTER RESPECTS HIS PREY.

in my country bow hunting is prohibited and people who killing small game for fun are scorned by society. the german hunting law is a very strict law.
>>
>>959047
Feel good laws won't bring the Jews back, kiddo.
>>
>>959050
germans are law-abiding and honest. this is what germany makes so perfect. your little "jew"-remark is pathetic - i have nothing to do with past.
>>
>>959055
Which is why you have no future.
>>
File: 1485876344814.jpg (276KB, 828x1153px) Image search: [Google]
1485876344814.jpg
276KB, 828x1153px
>>959050
>Feel good laws
But anyway, do you really think you can't hunt with the best intent for wildlife and the forest behind it in mind? Without natural predators the human needs to control population sizes or the habitat itself can suffer.
>>
>>959104
I tell my son that the animals he wounds or kills but doesn't eat will come back to haunt him in his nightmares.

My father told me this also. I believe this is true. We also thank the animals for giving themselves to us.

Sorry. I was being a dick earlier because some guy called my post BS when he knows nothing of me or the values I stand for. He somehow made an assumption that his morality was superior to mine on the basis of my weapon of choice.

I feel better now. Someone else wrote a post that summed up my stance on traditional bows pretty well. Idiots will be idiots no matter what weapon they choose. Unfortunately, we sometimes are forced to legislate morality so the idiots don't ruin things for everyone.
>>
>>959055
Sorry man. I was in a mood. My wife was born in Germany and I have many relatives live there and the Netherlands. I like you guys alot. I meant no disrespect.
>>
>>958696

Vegetarian bow hunter here...this thread is hilarious, talking about "ethically killing" animals. You fuckheads also probably say things like "collateral damage", or military intelligence.

Humans don't need to kill animals to live...it's bullshit. Vegetarians like me are living proof.

Hunting is murder...embrace it. Don't fucking lie or apologize, or say you're "harvesting" an animal. We're apex predators, the top of the food chain. Revel in your intelligent, tool-using lethality.

Murder and eating meat is fun and convenient, it tastes great and you pack on more muscle. And when you drag a carcass back to the cave, you're the alpha and you're more likely to get your dick sucked. And that fucking rocks.

So stop apologizing you panzies. Jesus christ.
>>
>>958696 (OP)
>Any bow hunters here? Been thinking about trying it over using a rifle or shotgun.

Do not hunt with a bow. It's cruel and unnecessary. You will almost certainly miss a kill shot and leave an animal running around for days with your arrow sticking out of it, slowly dying in extreme pain.
>>
>>959863
What do you hunt faggot? their eggs?
>>
>>959863
Why would you kill stuff if you won't eat it?
>>
>>958977
Typical recurvefag showing his napoleon complex.
>>
File: 1462507099242.gif (916KB, 490x367px) Image search: [Google]
1462507099242.gif
916KB, 490x367px
>>959863

>vegetarian bow hunter here
>>
>>959047
>muh feelings
>no real hunter
>>
>>959893
Can happen with a rifle too.
A good hunter with a compound or crossbow should be able to hit its target.
>>
Not OP but what would be a good compound to start with?

I'd like to get into bowhunting for the upcoming season
>>
>>959893
NO, your post is not based on anything factual. First off, a modern compound shoots an arrow so hard and fast, it passes through the animal and often the animal doesn't even know it has been shot.

Secondly an arrow cuts to kill with razor blade sharp head. If the shot is bad, say just through a muscle, it will stop bleeding in a few minutes and the animals will almost certainly recover with little ill effect. Unlike a bullet that does massive tissue damage with shock.

If an arrow hits a major bone just right (or wrong in this case) it is possible for the arrow to not pass all the way through. I am not saying this can not happen, but it is the exception and not the rule.
>>
>>960029

Because I live on a planet ruled by violent carnivores; herbivores have even more reason to cultivate a martial spirit.

Because vegetarians also have to kill to live: driving off or displacing animals from crop land, use of pesticides, mice killed by combines, etc etc. Going out and killing one face-to-face with a stick and a string just feels more...honest.

And what do you think I do with a kill, launch it into space afterwards? If I don't eat it, something else will, even if it's only maggots and dermestid beetles. Its body becomes part of the great natural cycle. So zero guilt there.
>>
>>960247
> First off, a modern compound shoots an arrow so hard and fast, it passes through the animal and often the animal doesn't even know it has been shot.
>being this retarded.
>>
File: 1480780076698.jpg (39KB, 376x334px) Image search: [Google]
1480780076698.jpg
39KB, 376x334px
>>960256
I am not sure what to think of this. Maybe I will post again later of I made up my mind.
>>
>>960473
My guess is you have never been bowhunting, have only preconceived ideas with no real world experience.

My opinions are based on many years of hunting, thousands of hours in the field, and hundreds of bow killed animals, things I have witnessed myself. But what do I know?

This site is full of "experts" who have never left their room....and a few quality people.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.