[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lake fly fishing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

I'll be going on a trip to Northern Wisconsin in July.

What are some good fly patterns for lake fishing?
>>
File: IMG_5323.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5323.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
For example, I plan to bring a lot of these.
>>
File: image013.jpg (24KB, 350x292px) Image search: [Google]
image013.jpg
24KB, 350x292px
>>958499

Those are some of my favorite patterns. The spiral feathers.

Pic is one I like for pan fish
>>
File: IMG_5341.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5341.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>958505
Is that peacock?
>>
File: grizzly2.jpg (157KB, 943x701px) Image search: [Google]
grizzly2.jpg
157KB, 943x701px
>>958506

Yeah the inner is peacock, the outer is grizzly hackle
>>
>>958498
What are you fishing for, dude? Where abouts in WI?
>>
File: IMG_5170.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5170.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>958564
Hayward. Far north. Not really sure what I should be fishing for. I'm actually pretty new to this.
>>
File: 44531a349bd563c0aa924063b83594e1.png (628KB, 1094x617px) Image search: [Google]
44531a349bd563c0aa924063b83594e1.png
628KB, 1094x617px
i would bring a few larger flies to throw along with the standard fw selections for bass & panfish. also bring a few leech patterns and some zonkers & gurglers.
>>
>>958630
Definitely bring big streamers for pike. Actually, really really big streamers. Being July, I would bring top water everything for funsies. But yeah, pike and/or muskie will be in a lot of the northern lakes.
>>
>>958654
What this guy said. I hope you have a 7/8 weight with some weight forward floating line.
>>
id also bring some poppers. you are more likely to encounter bass and pan fish....
>>
>>958771
I don't. I have a 4/5 weight. I now feel like I really should have gotten the 7/8 anyway, but there it is.

What's the bigges thing I should put on my 4/5?
>>
Did a trip to northern wisc. In mid july a few years ago. Large clousers and mouse patterns like OP and the last pictute posted before this post seemed to be a pretty hot ticket. Id imagine anything that stays high would be good but i got a few pulling a big clouser fast. HAVE A STRONG LEADER, i swear to god i lost so many damn flies and pike being a large mouth guy from the south and forgetting that these fuckers will destroy and light test monofilament, eventually i just tied a braid leader of whatever 30lbs test i had for bass in my box. Happy fishing man! Northern wisc is beautiful and the fish are plenty.
>>
>>958933
A 4/5 or a 5/6? Either way, you'll be fine for most fish you run across but a big pike and/or a musky will be a lot of fish for you, and you may run the risk of over-fighting it if you even manage to land it.
>>
>>958933
If you tie, you could tie big patterns with scant, light material to make them castable on the 4/5. Also surface flies that make a lot of commotion. Be sure to use a thick, stiff butt section of leader, like 30-40lb and give yourself at least 4" of wire leader. I just use a regular snap-swivel wire leader with the swivel snapped off, and loop-to-loop connection to a perfection-loop on the flouro leader.
>>
>>958498
what do you mean by northern wi? lemme know what county and body of water and i'll give you advice.
>>
>>959315
Hayward by Lake Nelson.

>>959238
Part of being this new is having no idea how to tie knots. I am thinking of bringing my materials somewhere and asking someone to set up my reel for me.
>>
>>959371
There's at least one phone app that shows 3d models of knots as they are tied and the speed can be controlled. I've learned a handful from it.
>>
>>959238
Yes I have a 30lb leader for my 4/5 line. I don't understand why you wouldn't use a strong leader. Seems the same but worse.

>>959238
>>959018
I do tie. I'll look into just making some bigger streaming patterns. Thanks!
>>
>>958499
>>958505
>>958630
those are nice work.
>>
>>958505
Gnat/midge patterns are deadly on tailwater trout all year round, too.

Nice-looking flies, by the way.
>>
Do you guys know what the materials in these?

1/2
>>
2/2
>>
>>963049
>>963050
Looks like EP fiber.
>>
>>958498
Pretty sure I'm the guy you saved tying pics from in an earlier fly fishing thread. You're getting much better, that bead head woolly bugger looks great. I still cringe at the tail on that caddis but if it fishes it fishes.

You have any luck finding fish in creeks near your area? Post pics

Concerning your July trip: as others have said fly patterns are dependent upon the species you're targeting. Look up what people fish for in the lake you're going to.

Imo targeting pike and Muskie with a 4/5wt rod is a lost cause. It will be hard as shit to turn over big flies and landing will be an issue. I would focus on the bass and sunfish in the lake or look into buying an 8 or 9wt setup.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.