[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #79 - Frost Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 88

File: 79.jpg (40KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
79.jpg
40KB, 512x512px
Old thread: >>944669

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

http://pastebin.com/RDDAm3Jz

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
File: 9iTglad.jpg (959KB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
9iTglad.jpg
959KB, 3197x5000px
>>958315
Ah, look what I found,

https://imgur.com/9iTglad

I knew this original version had to be out there somewhere online. Glad someone uploaded it some place else.
>>
Today I started my first experiment planting three zucchini seeds. Gave them all their own little pot, with plans to put them in a larger container later in april. For now, I'll grow them in my room (around 10 degrees celcius).

So, how are you guys doing?
>>
File: DSCN9684a.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9684a.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>958320
I always count on the worst. However, I have grown tomatoes through a snowy winter before using layers of plastic over them. Then a bit of heat and a fan when it got really cold. Those might need a second layer over them if temps drop. If you place bottles of water around them that will help for temp swings.

>>958322
How many seeds are in each pot?

>So, how are you guys doing?

Waiting patiently for Wednesday to start planting: >>958309

It is going to be scary because there will be so much to keep track of this year. This will be the first time I can fully plant my raised bed garden.

>old pic from May 2012, starting the beds
>>
>>958327
I did one seed each, but I´m thinking about turning that into 3 or 4.

Why do you need so many mushrooms tho? Are they psychodelic?
>>
File: DSCN9683a - Raised Beds Collage.jpg (5MB, 4092x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9683a - Raised Beds Collage.jpg
5MB, 4092x2304px
I finally got around to actually making a progress collage of one of my gardens.

>>958330
I think those can tolerate up to 3 plants per hill so that may work out. Check the seed packet.

The mushroom containers were from store bought mushrooms. A few family and friends give me the empty blue containers so I can use them as trays for seed starts. I grow shiitake and pearl oyster mushrooms; both are culinary mushrooms, but neither have anything to do with what I was talking about.
>>
File: IMG_0055.jpg (4MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0055.jpg
4MB, 5152x3864px
Looking for an opinion, guys. I started these tomatoes around the beginning of February. Will 4ish hours of direct sunlight a day be enough to keep them healthy and not leggy until my last frost (around May 1st)?
>>
File: march2008a.jpg (294KB, 1248x800px) Image search: [Google]
march2008a.jpg
294KB, 1248x800px
>>958343
They are going to get leggy.

You will need to make a foil covered cardboard panel to reflect light onto them. Crumple the foil before attaching it to the cardboard to ensure the light is diffused. Use wood glue or Elmer's glue; 1 part glue mixed with 1 part water. Or just use tape.

That is the best you'll be able to do for them without adding light. You can still add light, ANY light placed 2 inches from the leaves will help a lot.

One of my windows has 4 hours of direct sunlight and the foil method is what I did. Only I did it on everything and made a shelf unit dedicated to starts. It almost totally blocked the window as you can see. They still got leggy.
>>
File: 8OMQodk.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
8OMQodk.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
Any idea what this is?
>>
File: verhoogde-vakkentuin.jpg (75KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
verhoogde-vakkentuin.jpg
75KB, 800x533px
>>958337
Yeah I'll make it three and cut the two smallest when they start growing. To be honest this is my first step into growing my own good so I don't have an ouside bed yet. I'm probably putting the zucchini in a raised bed like the one attached.

I really dig your cinderblock beds, man those look awesome. What kinda things are you growing in there? I bet a single bed of zucchini van feed a family for a month.

>>958343
Is that regular dirt wrapped in newspaper? Newbie here, what is the method to your madness?

>>958346
Damn, what are those? That looks like commercial scale?
>>
File: 2017 seeds.png (54KB, 1026x749px) Image search: [Google]
2017 seeds.png
54KB, 1026x749px
>>958356
You can container garden really easily. If you have actual ground to plant in you can treat it like a container. Dig a single hole, about the size of a 5-gal bucket, fill it with good rich soil, and plant in it. That was my method for my first garden eons ago when I didn't have enough good soil.

>What kinda things are you growing in there?

Everything. Way too much to list (pic). One bed is dedicated to nothing but asparagus. 2 are potatoes this year (yukon gold and purple majesty) along with garlic. One is dedicated to elephant garlic grown from bulbils. Chickweed is used as a covercrop weed suppression for most everything. I still need lots of extra soil in the beds to bring them up to proper level, but I can still plant in them. That is only 1 of 3 of my gardens.

>Damn, what are those? That looks like commercial scale?

I don't even remember, that was 8 years ago. Onions, tomatoes, zucchini, I recall that much. I made the shelving unit from scarp treated lumber. The trays are from old greenhouse purchases people give me. The cups are regular Styrofoam. It is just a hodge podge that I don't use anymore. I use metal shelving, shop lights, as seen here >>958309 which has enough space for 900 starts once I'm done with it.

>I bet a single bed of zucchini van feed a family for a month.

That's the plan, only not zucchini.
>>
>>958352
Need photo from above.
>>
I want to build a greenhouse basically to keep a lemon tree alive. I live near Chicago, and this thing needs to go in the ground. I have about 500 square feet of floor heat mats used to go under tile for heated floors. Would this be a good way to heat a greenhouse? I'm thinking a raised bed for the tree, and wrapping it in the wire. Maybe a slate wall with the the mats as well.
>>
File: 6jxHjb3.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
6jxHjb3.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>958376
>>
>>958415
chili pepper
>>
>>958411
Yeah, those could work. It will depend on the insulation. I live in an area where there's harsh winters and people keep the lemon trees potted and bring them in during the winter. I did that for several years.
>>
>>958418
Well, you are technically right. I was unclear, but my initial image referred to the small bumps under the leaves. I'm worried about any disease or pest spreading.
>>
>>958432
Kek

It is probably edema caused by overwatering.
>>
>>958431
I've been doing that for several years as well. I started it from seed and it's about 7 years old now. I have it in a 15 gallon pot, and it's too big for me to keep root pruning and moving it.

I want to put it in the ground, hopes of climbing it one day.

I have such an absurd amount of tile and floor heat, I think it just makes sense.
>>
>>958343
If you're not getting very much light, a trick is to adjust the temperature likewise. I keep mine in an unheated room at around ~13°C, and only when the sun is out and reaches the window (a bit before noon onwards), things locally warm up. This way growth is a bit slower, but more sturdy, so I already started most of mine in January (to be planted mid-April)
>>
>>958327

how do you tilt the soil in raised beds when you want to fertilize it?
Manually?
>>
>>958521
Crop rotation does that without the need for extra tilling. Simply digging and planting potatoes is enough even though there's a few years for a single rotation cycle. They are only one example.
>>
I'm in the southwest US. Which plant is more hardy and less upkeep, lemons or oranges?
>>
>>958548
To my knowledge, lemon is the least cold-hardy of all citrus plants, it will already react with leaf drop if exposed to temps <+13°C for extended periods of time, if getting light at the same time. That's why I'm keeping mine inside from early/mid-October to mid/late-April (in cold Germany though, so you can probably leave them out longer or even year-round in coastal SoCal)
>>
>>958346
Thanks for the tips. I'll try getting another lamp and using the foil method, but I started some new seeds a few days ago just in case these don't work out.
>>958356
Basically, I took some thin cardboard and formed it into a cup shape, then rolled up a tube of newspaper, folded the bottom closed, and shoved it into the cup. The idea is that I'll be able to pull the newspaper/dirt out and plant it. No idea how well that's going to go, as I'm also a newbie and haven't tried this before. In fact, the is the first time I've tried starting seeds indoors. Good luck!
>>
Well I just started the conditioning process of my 12 straw-bale garden experiment. Was a headache loading them up and arranging them but the worst of it is over.

Now I just have to water and fertilize as required and hope is not too cold to get things cooking. Might take 3-4 weeks instead of 2. Didn't take a picture but if I update I will. First season taking gardening more seriously than throwing seed in the ground.

Anyone have a person experience with straw-bale? My soil sucks because there used to be a pool that leached chemicals over many years into the ground and a layer of sand under that, but the spot is fenced and gets really good South sun exposure.
>>
File: terracotta sprouter 3.jpg (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
terracotta sprouter 3.jpg
150KB, 640x480px
Is terracotta safe for sprouting? It sorta has a weird smell.
>>
Do people here typically hate front yard food gardens? I live in a pretty nice neighborhood in central texas and someone down the road started putting up a raised garden in their front yard. Anyways, the diesel fairy paid them a visit and put a stop to that.
>>
>>958352
Looks like it isn't aphids, could it be this: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/treating-edema-in-plants.htm
>>
>>958432
Sorry, didn't understood. Like >>958438 said, it's oedema. It doesn't harm the plant.
>>
File: SGiyB9W.jpg (3MB, 5508x1852px) Image search: [Google]
SGiyB9W.jpg
3MB, 5508x1852px
Bringing up some oregano, mountain hyssop and salvia to plant for my bees to collect nectar from in the summer. Also got two small chiliplants!
>>
>>958628
truly we live in the land of the free
>>
>>958628
>diesel fairy
Does this mean somebody trashed the plantings? Or that the McCar McFumes just kill everything in texas?
>>
>>958621
It is very porous and would harbor microbes within it (odor is a sign of that happening). Which would reinfect your sprouts every time you use it even after general washing. Use glass jars. Remember any glass jar will do, such as ones you get at the store that have food in them (chip dip, sauces, etc.) Any ceramic that is properly glazed should work well too.

Terracotta is really only for chia pets as decoration.

>>958628
It depends on the local laws. Some places don't allow them because they can look really ugly and lower property values. Other reasons are that some morons think it is unsanitary while flies-in-the-ointment actually make their gardens unsanitary (dumping raw uncomposted feces and stuff into it for example.)

>diesel fairy

Explain pls.

>>958775
Nice. Pic of that waterer? I need to get one for indoor seedlings.
>>
>>958346
>You will need to make a foil covered cardboard panel to reflect light onto them. Crumple the foil before attaching it to the cardboard to ensure the light is diffused.
Does that really "add" a significant amount of light?
You probably could also simply add some tinfoil to the "northern half" of some pots?
>>
File: reflector.png (8KB, 330x302px) Image search: [Google]
reflector.png
8KB, 330x302px
>>958880
>Does that really "add" a significant amount of light?

Very much so. The more coverage there is the better it will be.

>simply add some tinfoil to the "northern half" of some pots

That's better than nothing.
>>
>>958885
Yeah makes sense.
Gotta take some tinfoil to work with me then.
>>
Whoops, didn't see the new thread

>>957724
Very hot as in May-September is 90F+ (before heat index), and months of drought in the summer is common
Last year I had a hard time keeping those 2 well watered just on work days, the pepper especially was looking bad for a while but the fucking state flooded it exploded with growth
>>
File: IMG_20170227_162654061.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170227_162654061.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Planted some sweet million tomatoes last week and surprised how rapidly they've grown. They've been in the dark in this propagator with lid on. Biro is just for size reference. Any suggestions on how to ensure they grow well? I have apache chilli in the adjacent pots but none have sprouted yet. Thanks.
>>
>>958921
Pic related?

Get some light on those ASAP.
>>
>>958891
Just remember to crumple the foil so it will diffuse the light and not make a solar cooker.
>>
>>958925
yeah i've just put them on my window. hopefully my chillis won't die in the sun. if they even sprout. knew i'd fuck it up some how. i have some back up chilli seeds germinating now so maybe i can store them somewhere else.
>>
File: DSCN8187a.jpg (863KB, 2153x3302px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8187a.jpg
863KB, 2153x3302px
Finally got some LED shop lights. Now I have space and lighting for 270 plants. The cost of electric for 2 months versus the cost of buying 270 plants from a local greenhouse means I'm saving $117.18. The lights will pay for themselves in savings in only 2 seasons. By next year, i should have all 5 shelves setup and outputting 450 plants and saving about $195.30 each season.
>>
>>958929
Die in sun... Dude your plants don't have even close enough light.
>>
File: IMG_20170226_103457~01.jpg (1MB, 2555x2555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170226_103457~01.jpg
1MB, 2555x2555px
It's been two months since I started these pomegranate fuckers. I'm proud to look at them every morning.
My routine is applying a bit of water to them when I wake up.
Is this all I need to do to keep them healthy?
>>
>>959052
Nice leafage.

If they are dry water them. If they are moist, don't water them. Pretty much the same thing for all plants.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 247x204px
Still rocking the three zucchini pots. Added two seeds to each pot so I'll select the best of the three seeds and later I'll put them in ground outside. I guess that'll be around mid-May.

I'm probably buying some more pots and seeds tomorrow. Thinking about getting cucumber, lettuce,and green beans. But honestly, it's february and around 10 celcius in my room.. so it might be a long shot.

Anyway, parents gave me the green light on installing a raised bed this season.. so it's something.
>>
File: 20170227_155316.jpg (3MB, 3120x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20170227_155316.jpg
3MB, 3120x3120px
Sorry for the large photo, posting from mobile
Anyone know what kind of plant this is? Store I bought it from just had it labeled as "tropical assorted"
>>
File: newspaper_pot[1].jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
newspaper_pot[1].jpg
31KB, 300x400px
Generally I end up using 1500 A4 paper sheets every semester in college. Mostly of them have only graphite from mechanical pencil and some have blue ink from simple BIC pens. Can I use all this paper as a substitute for peat moss (very expensive where I live)?
Can I make these small pot for starting seeds? I plan starting 50+ seeds of valencia and lemons to train grafting. Would the pot decay after a while with all the watering?
>>
>>958895
ok then, I indeed see how you could need these systems. Can't help you much more about it, sorry. Did you also think of automatic watering?
>>
>>958921
I agree with >>958925 and >>959043 , give them more light if you can. A 11W CFL on top of them could already make a major change
>>
mushroom anon please post pics im interested in growing culinary mushrooms esp. rare and weird ones
>>
>>959116
What do you mean as a substitute? You mean using paper as a soil?

For making pots to germinate, I wouldn't really care about the decay, most germinate under 1 month. As "real" pots that would probably be another matter
>>
>>959052
Consider a VERY light breeze from a fan or something. In nature plants are strengthen by being knocked around by weather a bit.
>>
File: bottle.png (437KB, 540x550px) Image search: [Google]
bottle.png
437KB, 540x550px
Hey guys, I want to emulate something like this.

The guy put compost, a spiderwort seed, and (for his bottle ) a pint of water, sealed it off, waited and viola.

Is there a better way of doing this? Perhaps a better plant best suited for the environment? My bottle is 4L large.

How do I know how much water I need ?
>>
File: my bottle.jpg (2MB, 2183x2290px) Image search: [Google]
my bottle.jpg
2MB, 2183x2290px
>>959161
Here's a pic of my bottle
>>
>>959165
Water it based on condensation.
There should be condensation in the morning and evening; if there is condensation all day then you may have too much water in the terarrium.
>>
>>959165
>>959161
Terrariums are fairly easy and fun to do. You may need to have a way of plucking out weeds when they start sprouting so that you only have what you want growing in it. I don't recommend sterilizing the soil since there are beneficial microbes and fungi in it too. As far as how much water there needs to be, that depends on your plant types and amount of soil. Basically, the soil should feel about as moist as it would when there's a perfect amount of moisture in it. Not soggy and not dry. If you are used to potted plants, you'll have a general idea of what that is.
>>
>>959137
I mean mixing paper with soil and sand to improve soil conditions. Idaho Master Garden from the sticky says 1/3 sand, 1/3 soil and 1/3 peat moss. Peat moss is too expensive for me and I definitively need it. The book says that peat moss helps keeping soil wet and my soil is turning into brick due to the summer. It goes from dampy when I water it to block of soil in two hours.
>>959137
My idea was keeping it for 10 months in the paper pot and then moving to a real pot to graft.
>>
>>959223
I don't know for 10 months, maybe someone who did it will give you a reply.

If your soil dries quickly, too much peat moss may not be the best idea, it retracts a lot when it dries and becomes very hard. Maybe you can instead increase the quantity of clay. You may also want to reduce the quantity of sand in your mix, and add straw on the surface of your containers when they're big enough to do so, as to reduce evaporation.
How is the soil you want to incorporate? Does it have a lot of clay? Do you have pot mix nearby? (they often contain a lot of peat)
>>
>>959223
Also, about the proportions you read, 1/3-1/3-1/3 is a rule of thumb, but you may wanna try another classic : 1/4 draining (sand, perlite, clay beads...), 1/4 soil, 1/4 peat, 1/4 compost
Once again, you have to adapt your mix given your weather.
>>
File: 1391327012362.jpg (94KB, 421x834px) Image search: [Google]
1391327012362.jpg
94KB, 421x834px
>>959223
>my soil is turning into brick due to the summer
No, it's turning into sun-baked clay, add a shit ton of paper fiber, THEN it will be brick
>>
>>959243
Whats the problem then? Pots are in the shade but the soil goes from waterlogged to blocks of soil in hours. Something is wrong. Tried using mulch without success.

>>959240
My idea is using waste paper, sand, brown leaves, coffee grounds, toasted yerba mate and eggshells to the soil I have. On top of the drying problem my plants have good initial growth then just stale. I believe theres some soil deficiency since I water them when I feel the top of soil dry (generally 2 times a day) and we have plenty of sun. If sun and water is right, then it must be the soil.
Had some palm in a pot that jsut refused to grow. Checked a soil nutrient deficiency guide and probably it was phosporus. Used a 10-10-10 fertilizer that finished the plant.

>>959237
Clay? My actual soil isn't supposed to have a lot of clay. When I lived in another city the soil was like 90% clay and had even worse drying properties. I added a lot of compost to it (from an worms bin) without success. won't clay make things even worse?
>>
File: 20170227_225636-1.jpg (567KB, 1748x2860px) Image search: [Google]
20170227_225636-1.jpg
567KB, 1748x2860px
What would cause this yellow mark on my lemon? Also the new growth leaves are yellowy too
>>
>>959278
Clay may make things worse if there is much of it already. If there isn't any clay at all, you'll need some (usually it's in the "1/3 soil" you add), it stocks nutrients and water.
All in all, it's hard to say anything without seeing your soil. Can you make a rope test and tell what it gives? ( https://www.rain.org/global-garden/soil-types-and-testing.htm ctrl+f "rope")

Also, if you're in plain soil and not in pot, you should really add straw to keep moisture after a good hoeing. When you say "top of soil dry", how many inches are we talking? Sometimes people water so often that plants only develops their roots in surface, hence a lot of water quickly evaporating.

If you think it's a phosphorus deficiency and gave it 10-10-10, it's supposed to be quite fixed now.

Anyway, if you can make a few tests and post pictures of your plants and your soil, that could help
>>
>>959309
Can you take a picture of the soil? How many times and how much are you watering it?
>>
>>959340
I'm not over watering it and it's well fertilized
>>
>>959473
Overfertilizing can also cause deficiencies. It pulls nutrients and moisture out of the roots. Symptoms can start with areas yellowing then drying out and dying. Give this a read:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/lemon-tree-leaves-turn-yellow-101788.html

>>959278
>soil goes from waterlogged to blocks of soil in hours

Amend it with sand and compost. Mixing into the soil a bunch of uncomposted plant matter like paper, wood, leaves, etc will rob the soil of nitrogen when the microbes break down those things.

I live in an area with tons of clay soil. I don't even use it. I use raised beds ( >>958337 ) and make my own soil from compost, sand, and yard/farm wastes. That is a process you have to start ASAP because it can take years to build up a good amount of soil, even with good access to mountains of manure and organic matter; simply because it needs to compost properly. As for fertilizer, google up, "compost tea".
>>
>>959490
I started fertilizing it when these spots started to occur and it didn't help.
>>
>>959491
you shouldnt ever really just assume to feed a plant in visible ditress
>>
>>959339
I'm doing the decanter test right now.

10-10-10 fertilizer killed the plant. My palm was stunted with 3'' brown tips. I added the fertilizer and next day the plant was entire brown. I doubt my soil is overfertilized because the way they made this soil.
Friends from a farm got soil (a map from the government says it is latosol), mixed with manure and pieces of charcoal. No synthetic fertilizer was added.
In my head this soil was in perfect conditions but tried starting valencia orange from seeds and the plants had a good start, reached 10 cm of height then just stunted. I kept these plants for more fucking 6 months and they didn't get not even half inch. The palm I had in the same soil showed the same problem of stunted growth. After asking a friend he said maybe it was soil deficiency and that's why I added 10-10-10 fertilizer. I added so little (like 5 g) that I doubt it caused accumulation of nutrients. My pots are 15 liters in volume.

Does this information help somehow?
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latosol

>>959490
I had fun with a vermicompost bin last year. It was going well then someday the worms just vanished. I suspect the bin got infected with those dark brown millipedes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millipede) and they ate every single worm. I can't compost on the ground because I live in the city and all the ground is cemented. I plan to get another worms bin this year but only after july.
>>
>>959133
Yeah, but I've never had much luck with drip hoses and the like
I went ahead and made some small olla's connected with tube that I'll try out for peppers
>>
>>959500
The fertilizer fried it, it happens (most of times it's when one puts fertilizer without watering beforehand or when the plant is too fragile).

So you tried to do a kind of terra preta? I just checked what latosol was and indeed it's not known as fertile per se, but with well matured manure that should have done the trick.

Honestly, even with as few as 5g 10-10-10 and manure, that seems enough for a season if the plants are only 10cm tall.

Just to guess the other elements :
Since you grow in pots, did you drill a hole at the bottom and filled the bottom with draining elements?
Do you grow other plants which grew well?
How are the roots, do they fill the pot? When you put a plant in a pot too big for it, they tend to make roots before leaves/branches. Plus it's a hassle to conveniently water it, when it dries the bottom is soaked but not the surface, and the plant fights to get any water. 15L for a 10cm plant seems excessive to me. My oranges are 40cm in a 5L pot, and they're not root-bound.
Big question : do you think it is possible that the plants were simply developing roots, thus appearing static above the soil level?
>>
>>959500
>>959503
sorry, just noticed about the palm. anyway if you can post pics and test results you might get more help
>>
>>959494
I was trying to fix the fucking yellow spots on my lemon!
>>
I would really appreciate some advice. So far reading this thread has been great.

Earlier I used three big pots to grow zucchini but that seemed inefficient so i switched to a tray. I also added lettuce and beans.

I placed the tray under my roof window, which gets some decent daylight but nothing fancy. It should be around 12C (55F) constantly.

Do I need a grow light? And if so, could I use a simple LED thingy?

I also was wondering about the lettuce. The package contained like 200 seeds. I figured a seed is a single leaf or something and threw a bunch in every hole. Is that okay?
>>
>>959519
>Earlier I used three big pots to grow zucchini but that seemed inefficient
Zuchini vines get huge bro
>>
>>959523
I know that and I will pot them in the raised bed outside when they get there.
>>
>>959519
>Earlier I used three big pots to grow zucchini but that seemed inefficient so i switched to a tray. I also added lettuce and beans.
Keep them in the big pot, the vines will get huge

>I placed the tray under my roof window, which gets some decent daylight but nothing fancy. It should be around 12C (55F) constantly.

Do I need a grow light? And if so, could I use a simple LED thingy?

Put them by a south facing window if you're in the northern hemisphere until the equinox then a west facing window until the next equinox. A grow light isnt necessary unless you're growing more tropical stuff

>I also was wondering about the lettuce. The package contained like 200 seeds. I figured a seed is a single leaf or something and threw a bunch in every hole. Is that okay?

No, youll get a bunch of individual plants. If tons sprout thin them out a bit immediately then wait for the remaining ones to get bigger then thin them out again so theres a couple inches between each plant
>>
>>959508
if it's only two yellowing leaves, you OVERREACTED
You were thinking about a potassium deficiency? For two leaves I would rather think of a failed watering unbalancing elements absorption, it sometimes happens even when you know how to water. Or even thrips/red spiders beginning to munch the thing
>>
>>959531
It's every new growth leaf
Some recover but some look like the in the bottom of this pic
>>959309
Until it dies
>>
>>959536
If it's new growth, it may be a "simple" iron chlorosis (in which case you should NOT add any phosphorus). It could deal well with the brick soil thing, if there's too much clay and not enough organic matter, iron gets trapped in the clay

... or overwatering... you said you water it correctly, do you wait for the first inches to dry out before watering? Is there a draining hole?
>>
>>959541
Yes drainage holes yes i wait for it to dry. I might try and change the soil
>>
>>959542
Good luck. Don't hesitate to post more pictures if you got some (by example with leaves in plain light, and the totality of the plant)
>>
>>959500
>I added the fertilizer and next day the plant was entire brown.
>I added so little (like 5 g)

Sounds like serious root burn to me. Potted plants need serious dilution of the fertilizer. Each plant type is different and you need to double check the fertilizer directions, if it has any. Using something like "compost tea" you are making yourself is also vastly different and normally less problematic than store bought fertilizer.

Get a soil testing kit or DIY one from online info. That will help you decide what is or isn't needed.

If this is over fertilizing, you can flush the fertilizer out by drenching the soil a few times and allowing it to drain between drenchings. Retest the soil and apply fertilizer of a specific type if there is a deficiency after drenching and flushing.

>>959519
>light

More is better when growing indoors in your house. Either a reflector or any extra light will help. The light source doesn't matter so as long as it isn't hot on the leaves, not touching them, and can be about 2 inches from the leaves. Plants that grow taller than others can be a problem with light placement.

>a seed is a single leaf

Only if you are eating "baby" spinach or any very young salad green that has not grown much at all. You may want to look into "sprouts" where 1 seed = 1 tiny plant you eat whole and it doesn't use soil. As far as the ton of seeds you planted, that is a bit overkill, but you will need to cut out/pull out extras, leaving only a 1-2 per plot (thinning). This will allow them to grow large. Having a ton of leafy plants will allow you to eat a couple leaves from each plant, leaving the rest of the plant to regrow.

You vining plants will go nuts eventually, but between now and last frost for your area they shouldn't be too much of a problem. Keep those at the back of your seedlings so their shadows don't cover the smaller seedlings. Use something you can allow them to climb on.
>>
>>959526
Thanks man, all is clear now. I hope keeping the zuchini in the small pots is fine for now. I'm planning on setting up two raised beds this season so I'll get them outside next month.
>>
>>959555
If they're outside in the ground it will be fine but if you were to grow potted zucchini you need a big pot
>>
>>959563
Thanks for the reply man! I'll stick to the raised bed for now!

Can I ask you something else? I planted my seeds in regular earth that is used for planting flowers and what not. Just the default stuff they sell everywhere.

Will it kill my seedlings?
>>
>>959570
It should be fine. Though, some versions are over fertilized for veggie seedlings.
>>
>>959570
>Just the default stuff they sell everywhere.
>Will it kill my seedlings?
No they'll be fine. Stuff grows in dirt. Unless it's a specialty produce you don't need fancy soil and you can always fertilize
>>
My wife's son planted some iris bulbs in the fall and they've already sprouted due to the mild weather, but we're expecting another frost. Will this harm the plants?
>>
>>959573
They will be fine. That is normal. Even if they get frost bit they will come back.
>>
File: 1486671558268.jpg (78KB, 799x805px) Image search: [Google]
1486671558268.jpg
78KB, 799x805px
>>959573

> my wife's son
>>
What are the best food plants to plant if I want them to be fine on their own? I've heard potato is good. I live in a wet perma-grey area of Norway with mild winters, if that helps.
>>
>>959614
Potatoes dislike lots of water and will rot in the ground. It is best to grow them in hills or raised beds to help keep the soil well draining.

Try salad greens, they usually do really well in those conditions. Chard, lettuce, kale, watercress, spinach, arugula, etc. Also stuff like broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, leeks, and Brussels sprouts. You may need to screen off the brassica plants due to moth caterpillar problems. Stuff like asparagus, garlic, and onion are nearly maintenance free. Norway has Chenopodium album (lamb's quarter, goosefoot, etc) which is essentially like wild spinach. Most farmers treat it as a weed, but it is a great pot herb and salad green. Chickweed (Stellaria media) is another "weed" that is great to eat and even use as a living mulch that loves cooler climates.

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

https://garden.org/apps/calendar/?q=Oslo,%20Norway
>>
File: 1488036614626.jpg (59KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488036614626.jpg
59KB, 800x800px
>>959620
Thank you so much, anon. This is great.
>>
I germinated some citrus seeds - the ones I put under a light turned very light green, the ones I left on the window sill stopped growing at all.

What am I fucking up?
>>
>>959734
They need to be in soil and at least 20C for root activity
>>
>>959741
They are in soil.

So the ones on the window sill stopped because it's too cold (around 18-19 C), noted. Any idea what could be wrong with the ones under the light, since it's definitely warmer there?
>>
>>959734

Temperature affects growth of plants. I have a mamey sapote plant that has spent 2 years tiny at room temperature.

That said, the citrus should be dark green.

I'd get them outside when the temperature is reasonable. I don't get sun scald problems with citrus. Don't let the soil dry out but don't keep it soaking moist.
>>
File: 20170228_233413.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_233413.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>959745
I live in a dark, cold climate, so sadly the trees are destined for a life in the pot. Mostly I'm just hoping they stay alive.
>>
File: IMG_20170301_021631.jpg (743KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170301_021631.jpg
743KB, 1280x768px
Bellpeppers in a carton what the fuck!?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (23KB, 385x452px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
23KB, 385x452px
>>959504
Can't post pictures because I live in a shitty country where a camera is too expensive and we don't have iphones.

Did the decantation test from your link and apparently my soil is 90% sand and 10% silt with no top layer (that would be clay). Would post pictures if possible but after 20 hours of decantation what I see is:

>at bottom a very large layer of red,brown and black particles thats supposed to be sand
>on top of it, a much thinner dark brown colored layer with much, much smaller particles that supposed to silt
>no third layer
>water on top of it, still has a redish color
Better buy some clay to mix in this soil.

>>959503
Bottom has holes and a layer of small bricks and stones to help drainage. Idaho Master Garden says to not do this because you just lose pot volume so I'm planning to remove this bottom layer of stones and mix it in the soil. Will it help keeping soil wet?

I have oranges in 15 L pot because Idaho Master Garden says to avoid transplanting so put the plant in the final pot as soon as possible. I believe that 15 L is enough to get a plant with real branches, a small tree in the future. I pretend to never move the plants to a bigger pot.

I water generally two times a day. I check the surface before any watering. If the surface is moisty I don't water and wait until it gets a little dry. Should I water two times a day no matter what?

I removed two palms from pot, both with a lot of brown leaves and a few dead leaves. One had no root development it was exactly like when I transplanted a year ago. The other one had a much bigger root and visible developement. The root was full of tiny white points, like small ant eggs. Is this some kind of disease? Maybe that's why the plant was dying. I don't believe that this plant could be saved. Too much brown leaves and one entire branch R.I.P. Also another strange thing about this two palms -- no shoot at the middle top of palm (to lead the growth).
>>
>>959853
That's ghetto as fuck but cool. Thanks for the idea
>>
>>959908
Stick your finger into the soil up to the first knuckle when testing moisture. If it is moist down there, don't water.
>>
>tfw your plants are growing really poorly and i dont really know whats wrong

i'm using the two-cup method but they just aren't growing roots into the second cup for whatever reason. pretty small leaves, not a lot of height. using miraclegro potting mix as well as fertilizer every other week and i just don't know what i'm doing wrong.
>>
>>959969
Possible not enough light if they aren't getting bigger than seedlings. Young plants shouldn't need regular fertilizing.
>>
>>960063
>Young plants shouldn't need regular fertilizing.

This 100%. It is either lack of light or most usually temps are too cold.
>>
Guys I think I have the virus.. I just can't stop adding more seedlings.
>>
>>960155
So far I have:
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Broad Beans
Dwarf French Beans
Summer Squash
>>
Anyone grown tobacco before? If so, any tips or suggestions? I tried it and the biggest plant got to about 20" before it got snapped in two.
>>
>>960162
Yeah, rustica. Didn't have any trouble, it just died outside over the winter. Pretty cool plants.
>>
File: IMAG0241_1.jpg (2MB, 2302x3083px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0241_1.jpg
2MB, 2302x3083px
After some time off over winter I've finally pulled my finger out and gone back to my allotment! Critique welcomed. (This is from the top looking down, the bushes are blackcurrants and on the side isle I have some gooseberry on the far left then some apple and pare trees then raspberry and blackberry cains at the very bottom)
>>
>>960178
Are you Dutch too?
>>
File: IMAG0244_1.jpg (3MB, 4000x2178px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0244_1.jpg
3MB, 4000x2178px
This is my pond and herb garden and I'm going to have tomatoes and chilli's in the green house again, the raised beds are currently a dumping ground for now and my beans are on the right
>>
>>960179
No I'm English, why?
>>
>>960178
P nice
>>
File: IMAG0240_1.jpg (2MB, 2302x2963px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0240_1.jpg
2MB, 2302x2963px
This is a new plot I've taken on, the woman who had it gave up so to fight the weeds I've decided to have it, it has some really nice cherry and apple trees so I'm going to use it as a fruit garden, it should look good after some elbow grease!
>>
Also I don't know about you guys but last year soft fruits went crazy! I couldn't eat enough to keep up
>>
>>960181
Very Dutch looking landscape, that's all.
>>
>>960186
It used to look very different, it was a field with sheep in before, it was ideal way to get rid of stuff as they would eat anything you threw them but alas the farmer sold it and now it's a new build estate.
>>
>>960172
Was it just ornamental?
>>
>>959908
No clay would correspond to this latosol you're talking about, with almost no clay and a lot of iron oxides making the water turn red. What do the dark and brown particles in the bottom layer looks like?
What surprises me here is you said that during hot days, it turns in brick like concretion. Does the soil retract in these occasions? Is this "brick" brittle and sandy? What does it look like when you do a rope test?
If you can test the pH, that could also help.

-Concerning drainage at the bottom of the pot, I would keep draining elements, like clay beads. Otherwise the soil tend to quickly clog the draining hole, then roots rot. With 15L pots you don't lose much space anyway, usually you just put 1-2cm of clay beads on the bottom. I think the pot shouldn't be able to "store" water at the bottom, that would not fight evaporation and just lead to root-rot. Try to see if you get other replies by people cultivating in hot climates about this.
-Concerning the watering, testing with a finger is a good idea ( >>959961 ). I think you should not water "no matter what", but check any time you want to water. Two times a day seems a lot for me for such small plants and such big pots, even in high temperatures. Then again if your soil got no water retention capacity, that would explain a lot.
-I personally wouldn't plant something in the final size pot for the reasons I gave before : watering becomes a hassle. The bottom is muddy, the surface is dried, because the roots are not efficiently spread out in the pot.
Then, if you water too much and too frequently, the plant becomes kind of "lazy" : it grows roots only on the surface, to easily capture water. Problem is : surface roots are more subject to evaporation than deep buried ones. This leads to watering it more and more, and it needing more and more watering. Usually to prevent that you want to water a lot in quantity, and seldom in frequency. Again, it's hard to do with pots that are too big for the plant.
>>
>>959908
>>960193 here, comment too long
About the palm, if you know the specie that might help. I personally can't help you about it because I know nothing about what palms need in general.
Tiny white dots could be a lot of thing, sometimes it's just mycorrhiza-roots "network", sometimes perlite, sometimes roots scale insects (Rhizoecus hibisci), etc. Hard to tell without seeing it first-hand, though scale insects would fit the dryness landscape...
>>
Any advice on how to make a greenhouse in this area? I can't cut this tree so i'm thinking of only doing it in half of the area or just making it tall enough to fit the tree in. But i don't know how to it's supposedly going to keep the rain water from accumulating without having a curve and idk how the fuck do that
>>
>>960205
That area looks shaded as fuck, isn't the tree blocking the light you'd need?
>>
File: IMG_20170301_150146560_HDR.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170301_150146560_HDR.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>960224
It depends on the time of the day. The sun rises in the left and sets in the right. It gets good sun throughout the morning but yeah the tree does fuck it up but my mom doesnt want me to cut it cuz the tree is the same age as our house
>>
>>960227
Just replace it or put it in a nice pot.
>>
>>960240
How the fuck i'm going to put that in a pot? The tree is 20 year old at least
I want to know how to make a green house structure
>>
>>960249
with a shovel and a big pot
>>
>>960227
I'd maybe do a trial run with a small set up and see how it works before paying out for loads of materials
>>
how do i farm on my balcony in the big city
>>
>>960178
>>960180
>>960183
Looks like a good place. Nice and flat. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Do you have access to manure and compost?

>>960184
I dehydrate and can my stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't have enough over winter until the following harvest.

>>960205
>>960227
You can make a lean-to structure against the wall and use either plastic or glass. It is really simple to do, but actual construction details may better be discussed on /diy/ if you are unfamiliar with general framing methods.

>>960249
You don't without serious equipment to move it. Sure, you can do it by yourself with hand tools, but that will require a lot of know-how in leverage. Also a pot that big is essentially a raised be.
>>
File: 85be499b5a0ed0324ae491ccb7bc35d4.jpg (219KB, 736x1305px) Image search: [Google]
85be499b5a0ed0324ae491ccb7bc35d4.jpg
219KB, 736x1305px
>>960260
Using containers. Some people use a small scale greenhouse that is essentially a shelving unit covered in plastic of some kind. The self placement depends on the type of plants you are growing.

Light requirements may be an issue if your balcony is on the shaded side of the building or the sun is being blocked by other things.

Having your plants enclosed in something may be a good thing in a large city due to general pollution landing on the leaves.
>>
>>960271
Smart!
>>
>>960267
Cool vid
>>
File: 1487814302712.jpg (108KB, 680x651px) Image search: [Google]
1487814302712.jpg
108KB, 680x651px
>>960267
Thanks, it's taken some years to get it to the state it's in. I'll keep adding pictures now I know there's a decent community for it.
Yes I have a huge container on the right in the first picture, it could do with being topped up though.
>>
>>960285
Yeah the Hollandish folks are pretty amazing
>>
>>960267
>f you are unfamiliar with general framing methods.

What do you mean?
>>
File: Picture 109a.jpg (83KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 109a.jpg
83KB, 640x480px
>>960293
As in framing a house or framing a shed. It is the methods use when putting up the frames for walls using lumber. For instance, this is the framing for a lean-to shed. For a greenhouse, you can do the same thing, though you need to size it to your glass/plastic.
>>
Does planting ginger and bok choy scraps really work?
>>
File: InI1VQz.jpg (949KB, 2285x1714px) Image search: [Google]
InI1VQz.jpg
949KB, 2285x1714px
>>960316
Yes - plants like ginger can regrow from parts of the tuber.

Pic related is an image of 3 kale plants that I grew from the stumps of store-bought kale bunches.

Many plants will regrow from the stumps/roots, but a lot of plants like lettuce and possibly bok choy will simply grow roots then go right to seed, making them useless for eating.

The only ones I have had success with are Kale and members of the allium family (onions, garlic, leeks, shallots).
>>
>>960316
I have personal experience with ginger. It really really hates the cold and is better done in a greenhouse in most places. Bok choy should work too so long as you keep changing the water often enough that it doesn't get slimy.
>>
>>960320
Don't forget celery works too.

Also pineapples work too but don't hold your breath. They take a long time,.
>>
File: DSCN8214a.jpg (411KB, 1024x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8214a.jpg
411KB, 1024x1532px
1 shelf of seeds planted today. 2 more to go. This is taking longer than expected.
>>
File: IMG_20170301_220609.jpg (240KB, 940x766px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170301_220609.jpg
240KB, 940x766px
Maxing these cards
120 spades
>>
>>960337
Btw those are tomatos and cherry tomatoes, bell peppers
>>
>>960334
Zuchini?
>>
>>960333
Does celery end up producing new stems relatively quickly? I've tried it but at a certain point it seemed to just stop growing (it also didn't produce roots as readily as the kale).
>>
>>960342
Not this year. Those seeds in the top pic are Luffa Sponge.
>>
>>960316
I tried with bok Choy went straight to seed as someone else stated
>>
>>960346
What is going "straight to seed"?
It the plant equivalent of going straight to DVD?
>>
>>960348
lel, if I get it right, quite much
The plant somehow feels its life won't be long and get all its energy on seeds production instead of leaves
>>
>>960353
Will those seeds be bad for planting?
>>
>>960356
Don't know at all. I suppose that may reduce the amount of stored sugar in the seed and then give less into the germination, but that's pure hypothesis for what I know
>>
>>960334
Woah
You wipe a lot
>>
>>960356
Not necessarily - however, many grocery store breeds of vegetable and fruit tend to be unstable hybrids (meaning their seeds are infertile or don't produce plants the same as the parents).

You could try growing the stumps for seeds, but if you have an unstable hybrid then you will spend a year + in time over nothing, when a true-breeding seed packet costs as little as $3.
>>
>>960375
I'll keep this in mind. If it doesn't grow I have nothing to lose.
Thank you.
>>
File: 20170301_184846.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_184846.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Current progress. Not happy with the majority of my plants growth but a few are doing alright. Feels like they should be a lot larger at almost 6 months old but no luck.
>>
File: DSCN8233a.jpg (3MB, 3632x3872px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8233a.jpg
3MB, 3632x3872px
>>960334
Second shelf done. One more shelf to plant...

>>960367
kek. Family and friends give me spent tp and pt rolls specifically for this.

>>960346
>>960356
>>960353
>>960356
>>960375
>>960415
The seeds will be fine for bok choy. The main triggers for "bolting" is heat and less light. Mostly heat. If you grow them indoors you may have it too warm. If you get them from the grocery store in summer again it may be too warm. If you use grow light and can't remove the heat from them fast enough they will bolt very quickly and very young. Some species of plant, like carrots, only bolt their second year. Thus, a store carrot will bloom the first year.

It is rare a hybrid produces something not worth eating and that is usually only with apples when crabapples are used to pollinate an orchard.
>>
File: DSCN7949b.jpg (552KB, 1024x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7949b.jpg
552KB, 1024x2448px
My experiment using tiny purple potato slips is a success. I'll need to transplant these to separate pots eventually.

>>960424
Just peppers? How warm is it in there? I think I see lots of blooms and one pepper peaking out. Are you hand pollinating? I had to do it twice a day using a wire attached to an electric shaver to touch the stem. Mine also slowed stem/leave production for the most part while blooming/fruiting. I was using tube fluor lights and had them much closer.
>>
>>960432

it's considerably warmer in the grow house than it is in my room by a good 10-15 degrees. 2 75W CFLs on the right and a 24W LED on the left. Hopefully they catch up in size when I transplant them for the summer.
>>
It's been an astonishingly warm for the last two weeks in the North East, and a lot of early spring plants are now sprouting a month or more early.

Crocuses have started flowering, daffodils have starting putting out their shoots, and clover is starting to pop up in my garden pots. Some trees are starting to bloom or even put out leaves.

What will happen when the weather crashes back to winter reality in March? Will it kill them? Will they bud again?
>>
>>960462
If they have enough energy they will sprout again. Same thing is happening here. Everything is spring then gets hammered with snow then 85F the next day then 10F, it is crazy.
>>
>>960155
what is Boner?
>>
If I have my plants inside my room under a grow light and then proceed to use a normal incandescent lamp in the same room at night time will this fuck with them?
They look at a bit wilty today and I'm concerned.
>>
>>960545
The lighting should be fine. Wilting is a sign of either not enough water, too much heat, or physical damage. Sometimes the initial signs of disease looks like wilting.
>>
>>960430
Ha ok
>>
>>960193
Thanks, I still have a lot to learn.

You can see the soil retracting in the walls of pot. The radius of soil becomes 2 mm smaller than the radius of pot.
The brick is brittle and rope test feels like sand. I believe the black and brown particles are from compost. This soil probably has no clay, a lot of sand and very small compost particles.
I'm gonna buy some clay to incorporate in the soil and seed lemons in smaller pots and change only next year.
>>
Are there fruit trees that produce all year long?
>>
>>960687
Yes
in the tropics
>>
>>960686
You're welcome! Though don't take my word for it, I'm not used to work with sandy soils at all, try to see if other opinions come.

Try to confirm that the clay is a good idea with other people opinions, I don't want you to turn your soil into brick because of me! Anyway, don't exceed with the clay (preferentially bentonite clay), just a little would be fine : 250g/m2 is, I think, more than enough. Add compost if you can, about same proportions.Try to incorporate them slowly until you feel the soil has a good consistency. If you put to much clay, you may run the risk of creating genuine brick...

If I were you, I would do a batch of test in empty pots, to make sure what is the better mix in consistency (refer again to the rope test) before putting the plants in it.
Good luck!
>>
>>960424
Do you have drainage with those cups???

You have a fan?
>>
WHY WONT MY PLANTS GERMINATE FUCKING NORMALSHITS GET OUT OF THE GROUND NOW REEEEEEE
>>
>>960697
Too cold
>>
File: 2016-08-15 16-45-51.jpg (600KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-15 16-45-51.jpg
600KB, 1280x720px
first time I post here
what should I know about this general?
what are your memes?

I have a small vegetable garden (only 12 square metres) and 15 fruit trees
pic: half garden from last year
>>
>>960716
>about this general?
>what are your memes?
It's usually pretty helpful and no bullshit no memes
>>
My garlic sprouted in late December because we had a warm period, then died to frost in January. One of them sent up a second shoot and got wrecked again. Now, the cold isn't going to let go until somewhere around late March. Hoping they can survive until then.
>>
>>960719
>It's usually pretty helpful and no bullshit no memes
True, but maybe, I would count chilie plants as meme.
Like everyone has them, and usually the really hot varieties.
Or so I have heard…
I certainly wouldn't partake in such fedora tier activities as eating hot chilies to prove my manlyness…
>>
File: leggyaf.jpg (235KB, 852x1136px) Image search: [Google]
leggyaf.jpg
235KB, 852x1136px
Ive been growing this lemon tree from seed since last July. I was hoping it would fork already but it hasn't. I pruned it at the point indicated and it still hasn't done much. Is it simply not getting enough sunlight?
Im in the UK.
>>
File: 20170207_192636_HDR-1.jpg (964KB, 1793x2789px) Image search: [Google]
20170207_192636_HDR-1.jpg
964KB, 1793x2789px
>>960727
Oh yeah lots of us have lemons
Here's my babby and there's a German with a couple lemons too
>>
>>960727
The long thin stem means it's not getting enough light.
>>
>>960727
not enough light probably
in July 2018 (two years of age) cut its top
even if I don't think it will survive to that date desu
>>
File: Indoor Pumpkin Plant.webm (978KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Indoor Pumpkin Plant.webm
978KB, 480x360px
>>960727
Make a reflector as described in the posts above. Get more light on it. So long as it is staked to help with such a spindly stem, it should be okay. This >>960733 is correct about cutting the top at the 2 year mark. It will start to thicken up after that, when it has more branches and more light.

>>960722
He's talking about stuff like the "growing pumpkins indoors" meme which was born in these threads. It is the only actual meme these threads have. Both of you need to lurk more.
>>
>>960729
>>960733
>>960737
Cheers guys, Ill attempt to keep it alive.
>>
>>960737
That's horrifying
>>
File: 2017-03-02_17-59-46.jpg (410KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-02_17-59-46.jpg
410KB, 800x1200px
>>960727
>>960728
German here, I have mine sitting inside from Oct-Apr on a WSW window, in summer outside in full sun.
We're not really getting more sun than England especially in winter, but still they've not become particularly leggy so far, what helps is having them sit in a room where it's mostly ~15°C, and only locally warmer whenever the sun is out and shines upon the black pots.
Mine sprouted Jul 2015 and I think the first branching occured somewhere around Apr/May 2016 (without prior pruning).
I only pruned them when I brought them inside for winter last November, but they've already regrown all that and then some
The very oldest leaves at the bottom are partially yellowing and a few have dropped off now, but I'm not too worried as I blame general winter stress and the fact that even an evergreen's leaves aren't staying on forever (unless maybe on a Welwitschia)
>>
>>959223
>block of soil

Add a cover crop. A cover crop mix would be even better. I don't normally do summer cover crops (I use winter cover crops as mulch in the spring,) but a ground cover that doesn't interfere with whatever else you are growing, and a low growing legume for nitrogen. Keep your soil covered at all times. If you can't do that, mulch. Covered soil will be A LOT cooler and will retain moisture much better.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-02-09-17-44.jpg (1MB, 1440x1459px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-02-09-17-44.jpg
1MB, 1440x1459px
Is it too late for this one?

The other two still have their cotyledons and don't have droopy leaves.
I assume the water is fine, and the lighting adequate.
I do sleep with a heater on however but indirectly from their location.
>>
>>960162
If you live in an area with tomato hornworms or a similar nightshade eating family of the bastards, make sure you have some predators nearby.
>>
>>959620

We need a pinned thread listing apps like these.
>>
>>960267

>pic
What about the roots? Are they especially short? Do they regrow without issue?
>>
I have a greenhouse that consists of mostly 50x100cm glass panels. Right now the greenhouse stays around 10C whole winter but I want to make it 22C year round. So I am thinking about replacing all the single glass with double glass. Before I invest 3K I will replace only three windows to see how light passes thru.

My question is: can I measure the light with a LUX meter or do I need something else?
>>
File: a81da2.jpg (149KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
a81da2.jpg
149KB, 800x600px
>>960799
With trees that size, the amount of soil they take up will be negligible. It would be different with really old trees or a tree in an area where it needs to extend roots due to low moisture problems.

>>960817
Another consideration is using large bubble wrap in the colder months. Cut to size for each area, label well with a permanent marker. You'll be able to take it down and put it up without much fuss. The only downside it needing a place to store it. Make sure the flat side faces away from the glass.

To answer your question, yes a LUX meter will measure the luminance in a given area. An extra piece of glass lowers the overall light by 10% on average. Some are better or worse than others of course.

>>960793
Yeah, lots of stuff that are not connected to each other are a big help to gain a better coverage knowledge. Those one-site-does-everything places and aps shoot themselves in the foot by trying to be everything or at least saying they have it all.
>>
>>960846
Yeah I heard single glass cuts it down to 95% and double cuts it down to 75% but I just want to test it to be sure. They also sell these foils that are supposed to unmirror the glass so more light gets through.

Feel feel like bubble will just fall down and look weird while not letting through enough light. I live in Holland so I really need all the light I can get. I also want this project to survive atleast 50 years so some quality glass is a solid investment.

Thanks!
>>
>>960853
It is kind of like,

Full sun: 100$
Pane 1: 90%
Pane 2: 81%
Pane 3: 72.9%
Pane 4: 65.61%
Pane 5: 59.049%

Each time reducing 10% or remaining sunlight.

There are some glazings that are nearly invisible and don't cause reflection or absorption problems, but those are retardedly expensive for a greenhouse.

Bubble wrap looks odd due to the diffusion of light. It is a cheap temp fix that allows you to buy new panes of glass over time if you so wish.

>survive atleast 50 years

I like how you think.
>>
>>960864
Cheers man, that is great info. I'll post a full report on my findings when I have tested the double ones I ordered, with and without un-relfect coating.

Honestly, 50 years is the bare minimum. It's only a couple of years old now and made of quality hardwood. Once I replace the glass it should be fine for decennia to come. I'm 30 now so I need it to survive around 60 years to be happy with it.

Thanks for all the info!
>>
>>960864
>Bubble wrap looks
Nigger just use vapor barrier
>>
>>961063
You specifically need bubble wrap, for the encapsulated air spaces.
>>
>>960786
Help amigos.

If this one succumbs, how do I ensure my other seedlings do not die?
>>
File: 14885011026511826511227.jpg (4MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
14885011026511826511227.jpg
4MB, 2976x2976px
Just started 6 different kinds of peppers

I'm going to see if I can successfully breed hybreds
>>
File: seedsguise.png (2MB, 723x953px) Image search: [Google]
seedsguise.png
2MB, 723x953px
>>960430
teh seeds of my ppl
>>
File: garden.jpg (711KB, 1632x998px) Image search: [Google]
garden.jpg
711KB, 1632x998px
Just picked up some things to plant tomorrow!

I've got to get the raised bed built for the herbs, it's probably going to be a 4'x4' on legs near the kitchen window. Already have a 4'x4 ready for planting that will likely receive some carrots, radishes and onions, and will need to make another for the cabbage. Not entirely sure how much I'm going to try to do since this is my first time gardening, but so far I've got carrots, radishes, green onions and garlic going pretty well in pots on the porch, so I think I feel safe in starting to sow in the ground.

Hoping to pick up some more varieties of blackberries, since I've got 40' of fence I want to grow them against. I wanted at least one thorny kind to dissuade kids from messing around in them.
>>
File: plants.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
plants.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>961265
pic is what I've got going so far: carrots, green onions, radishes, garlic. First things I've ever grown from seed, doing fairly decently.
>>
>>961334
This kind of "humour" has already spread enough on all the other boards, please stop
>>
>>961362
ok r9k humorist, original reply as always, never change
>>
>>960864

I think i have seen that greenhouse in the past, is it possible that it is in ireland?
>>
>>961370
Apparently it's hotel Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo in northern Italy
>>
>>958315
>>
File: IMG_20170303_145106.jpg (105KB, 418x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170303_145106.jpg
105KB, 418x426px
>Bump thread 3 days ago,
>80 replies
>>
File: 123.jpg (31KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
31KB, 300x250px
>>961370
>>961371
It was "recently" refurbished after being abandoned for decades.
>>
All this greenhouse talk has me thinking
I've got a 2-3 year old lemon tree, and last winter it stayed in our garage under grow lights. If I were to build up a simple, greenhouse-like structure for that single plant (Maybe some pepper plants too?), how serious would it need to be for a region that's in the South US where winter temps very rarely drop below 25?
>>
>>961389
Feasible. You'll need to have a lot of thermal mass to ensure cold snaps don't kill them off at night. You'll need some sort of heat and fan.
>>
>>961334
Fuck off
>>
>>960692
Haven't been using the fan recently but yes it's the 2 cup method so there's drainage
>>
File: DSCN8247a.jpg (1MB, 3648x1646px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8247a.jpg
1MB, 3648x1646px
>tfw I totally forgot to plant onion seeds last month

Better late than never I suppose.
>>
File: IMG-20170303-WA0000.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170303-WA0000.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
Just build up this today, will report back when I'm. Finished setting it up. Anyone have any ideas how to use the space I have best? Lot of pots hanging?
>>
File: Pea-Gravel-for-Sale-in-NJ-NY1.jpg (216KB, 1000x330px) Image search: [Google]
Pea-Gravel-for-Sale-in-NJ-NY1.jpg
216KB, 1000x330px
>>961522
Looks great!

Tables/counters/shelving along the sides, walkway in the middle. North side is normally best for shelving so they don't cast shadows on everything else. If you have room over the counters you can have hanging pots.

PROTIP: pea gravel is best for walkways.
>>
>>961523
Forgot to mention that under the tables/counters is a great place to store stuff and put containers of water for thermal mass.
>>
>>961392
Gotcha, thanks
>>
File: IMG_20170304_142810704.jpg (211KB, 1165x874px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170304_142810704.jpg
211KB, 1165x874px
sweet million tomato idiot again. i've put them in the sun but they're still sort of growing retarded (except the one at the back).

any suggestions? I was thinking about using a bit of wire to prop them up straight.
>>
>>961890
MORE LIGHT

I don't know how many times I have to tell people "MORE LIGHT" in these threads. They don't seem to get it. Window + reflector + light bulbs! The reason they are leggy is because they are searching for light. The reason they are all over the place is because they are leaning towards the light. They also need a slight breeze in order to help strengthen them.
>>
>>961895
is outside too cold though? i can put them out with propagator lid on to catch evening sun but i worry the cold will kill them. 10 degrees celcius outside
>>
>>961908
If your options are between keeping them in that window and letting them sit outside, it's at least worth a try.
>>
File: DSCN8249a.jpg (292KB, 1024x1660px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8249a.jpg
292KB, 1024x1660px
>>961908
Too cold to put outside without monitoring them the entire time. Lowest temps for more plants should be 55F/13C and not for very long. Just make a reflector and give them some extra light. Any light will work. Got a lamp? Shine it on them. Do something.
>>
>>961934
>square-rigged mustard pot.jpg
>>
>>961934
making a reflector but have a lamp on it now. thanks for the tip on the temperature i'll put it outside so they can get a breeze on warmer days.
>>
File: superflat.jpg (487KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
superflat.jpg
487KB, 1280x905px
>>961944
i've been volunteering at a local community garden for over a year now. everyone has to start somewhere, but keep fighting the good fight.
>>
>>961968
nah
>>
Hey guys, I got a 6x6 square plot in my backyard that my girlfriend gardened in last year and I'm going to try it this year .

When's the best time to start planting seeds? I was thinking early april
>>
>>961989
Find out what growing zone you are, use that to find out when you should start putting plants out. If you can start the seeds inside in cups at least a week before they go outside.
>>
>tfw you have more seeds than garden space

I have too many types of veggies I want to plant, not just like 10 types of carrots, but 10 different veggies as example. I only have 3 gardens too. I wish I could plant an acre of corn as well; which would be 3 Sisters method.

>people having trouble with "city folk" and their ignorance

1: People need to start somewhere.
2: The more people there are who know how to farm correctly, either in open ground or indoors in containers, the better society will be able to cope with various types of self-sufficiency problems; be them sudden social changes or natural disasters that affect the food system.

>>961938
Yeah, putting them out when you can and taking them back inside is good. Just watch out for full sun too soon. It will scald the leaves if they are not hardened off. Google, "hardening off plants," to learn how to do it properly.

>>961989
After the last frost date in your area.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/garden-planning/how-to-find-average-last-spring-frost-date
http://www.motherearthliving.com/vegetable-gardening/garden-planting-guide-zmgz12mazmel
>>
File: IMG_20170304_213700.jpg (4MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170304_213700.jpg
4MB, 4160x2336px
IT HAPPENED!
One of my carrob seed finally sprouted
>>
File: IMG_20170219_115914.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170219_115914.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
A head of butter lettuce I'm growing. This was 2/19
>>
File: IMG_20170227_182415.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170227_182415.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>962138
2/27
>>
>>962087
Gj man
>>
>>962087
not sure if carrot or carob
>>
>>962147
>carob
It's carob, this nigger has been posting about his carob seeds for like a year
>>
File: clapping-gif7.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
clapping-gif7.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>962087
>>
File: 1486849496604.jpg (212KB, 800x770px) Image search: [Google]
1486849496604.jpg
212KB, 800x770px
>>962155

> carob

yeah, english is not my first language
Sorry
>>
All my two month old pomegranate seedlings are dead, and honestly I feel a bit dead inside too right now. They literally just died in the span of two fucking days. I had no way of preparing for this.

I'll try growing one last time before ending this. How do I prevent this from happening again?
>>
>>958315
Can anyone direct me to or give advice about growing an outdoor potted plant garden?

I plan on moveing properties within the next five years so i want to be able to easily transport my garden with me as i move.

I currently have tift and powder blueberry bushes in 15 gallon containers, blackberries, strawberries, olive tree, ect.
>>
>>962275
What did they look like when they died? Cold, heat, not enough water, cat eat them???

>>962277
Most veggies only need 5 gallons of soil at most. Small shurbs and dwarf trees are much the same. Google, "bucket gardening"
>>
>>962275
My pomegranate seeds never germinated
>>
One more question

I want to build a fence, but the deer are so bad i have to build something to keep them out entirely if i want to use this yard. The people here feed and in a sense tamed these deer to the point they walk up to you and expect corn.

I don't have much money for a full on metal deer proof fench but i think building a short(3-4 ft tall im thinking) goat fence attached to tall t-post held by concrete. I can then attach 7 ft deer mesh around that and attack it to the same tall posts. I think as long as its structurally sound it will do good for a few years until i move out at least.
>>
File: 20170304_161333.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_161333.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>962293
Deer
>>
File: fuggg.png (2MB, 1488x976px) Image search: [Google]
fuggg.png
2MB, 1488x976px
>>962282
I think it might be my room temperature. It fluctuates because of the recent retarded California weather.
They looked like this this morning.
I left their grow lamp off today to see if that was the cause. Even the top left one is all bent and fucked up now.

If it's a fungus how can I know it is? I failed to microwave my soil before-hand (as I was unaware of the method)
>>
>>962285
The baggie method worked for me.
But half of them rotted or grew wrong.
>>
>>961989
You can plant cool weather crops up to two months before average last frost. Things like spinach, lettuce, chard, etc... For warm weather crops, you want to wait until around your average last frost to plant.
>>
>>961989

You have to look it up for each plant. This information can be found easily with a google search, and many seed-selling websites will have pages dedicated to this sort of thing. Also, if you live in North America, don't let the unseasonably warm weather fool you, there can still be frosts as late as may in Canada and the Northern USA.

Generally, cold-climate plants like Swiss Chard, Lettuces, Kale... etc, can be plant 4-8 weeks before the date of last frost (so in mid-late March). You may need to cover the seedlings with a tarp at night to prevent frost damage.

Some seeds must be planted after the date of last frost. Others must be planted indoors and brought out after they have reached a certain size, and after the date of last frost (tomatoes, peppers, and other central american crops generally fall into this last category - they are not meant for our more northerly climates without being grown indoors beforehand).
>>
>>962293
My fence is only 6 feet high and it keeps the deer out. If the gate is left open and they are pressured to run, they can still jump over 6 feet. Well, some can, those that can't fuck up the fence and themselves. Mine is somewhat expensive in that it uses 6 feet high welded wire fencing (2x4 inch holes) and 8 feet tall t-posts which are almost 2 feet into the ground. No cement.

Your idea of a lower 4 feet high fence with the 7 feet high deer netting should work. Just keep the netting off the ground about 2 feet or snakes will get tangled in it and die (if it is that really thin black netting stuff.) Deer also have a hard time seeing the thin stuff so you may want to put a metallic bird ribbon through a few places.

>>962309
Looks like too much water or not enough water. The soil needs to be well draining of course. Microwaving the soil isn't needed and can cause imbalances with good/bad microbes and fungi. If you kill off everything, you need beneficial microbes and fungi to replace it ASAP or bad ones can inoculate it and thrive instead. Pomegranates like alkaline soil soil up to 7.5. You can use limestone to reach that pH level.
>>
>>962325
>Looks like too much water or not enough water. The soil needs to be well draining of course. Microwaving the soil isn't needed and can cause imbalances with good/bad microbes and fungi. If you kill off everything, you need beneficial microbes and fungi to replace it ASAP or bad ones can inoculate it and thrive instead. Pomegranates like alkaline soil soil up to 7.5. You can use limestone to reach that pH level.
Where's the cheapest place to get pH strips? Also, I pulled one of them up right now and noticed the root system is fairly shallow. How can I encourage my future seedlings to have stronger roots?
>>
ITT hurr durr why can't I grow trees inside mommy basement with no light
>>
File: itt.png (3MB, 1694x896px) Image search: [Google]
itt.png
3MB, 1694x896px
>>962375
I even emptied my peejugs to fertilize it
>>
>>962375
Check your privilege, garden owner
>>
>>962381
When I first moved back from years overseas i stayed in my brother's basement awhile (it was a nice finished basement with carpets, heat, furniture, etc). but i didn't have my own bathroom down there and I drink A LOT so I had to piss a ton. so i just filled jugs and then dumped them at my leisure. whelp, all winter/spring i started dumping my jugs into the yard out of the bulkhead. usually it was snowy, slushy, or wet so i though little of it. yeahhhhh, that summer there was a yuge dead spot in the grass eminating from around the bulkhead. fuck.
>>
Is putting gravel in the bottom of pots for drainage a meme, or does it work? Assuming the pot doesn't have a hole in the bottom.
>>
File: 1449718005293.png (122KB, 349x320px) Image search: [Google]
1449718005293.png
122KB, 349x320px
>>962394
>>
>>962400
If it doesn't have a hole, there is no point since the plant will probably be overwatered anyway. Otherwise no, it isn't a meme, it allows the hole to not be clogged.
>>
File: compost activator.jpg (40KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
compost activator.jpg
40KB, 638x479px
>>962335
>Where's the cheapest place to get pH strips?

I don't know where you live. Usually a pool supply, garden supply, or you can DIY how to do it with household items if you google how.

They are very young, that is why there's barely any root system. What you see above ground is indicative of what is below ground. Not much up there either.

>>962400
There needs to be a drain hole, otherwise it will not work properly. If you have a seriously tall pot, you can fill the bottom 1/3 with gravel and it will act like a self-watering pot. Some people do that by using a pot with holes in the bottom set into a pot that holds water at the bottom or cup-in-cup.

While these methods do work, I prefer there to be full drainage. That way as the water drains through it pulls in fresh air much more easily.

>>962381
>>962394
You do realize this is a real thing right? Many people use urine as fertilizer. I do. Although, I pour it on the compost pile. Most people use it directly by diluting it in a ration of 1 part urine to 10 parts water then watering their plants. It is actually a pretty valuable resource.
>>
>>958315
I tried to start growing stuff in a small pot, but some asshole fucked up my chives. Not sure which of my housemates it was, but damn, I'm mad. Waste of seed, and about a week where they were up to in growth. I was just starting to see green shoots.

I figured I'd replant seeds on top of the dead ones, because nutrients and shit, but another housemate who's really into "cleanliness" (ie; rearranging shit compulsively) threw out the soil and stacked the little trays I was using.

Jesus christ I'm mad. Just had to rant here. The trays I was using take up around 40cm squared combined, and were on windowsills out of the way. They were pretty much invisible unles you're looking for them.

But now they're dead. Fuck.
>>
>>962443
Don't bring drama into these threads.

If you have problems with people messing with your plants, put the plants into a clear plastic locked tote. Buy one of these and a set of 2 padlocks. Drill some small air holes in it (drill, not poke as this plastic will shatter most times if poked.) Drill a couple holes on each side of the lid into the rim so that you can attach the padlocks through the holes, locking the lid to the bottom.

Flip it upside down. Use the lid as a tray. It is now a mini-greenhouse. Put your name on it. Tell people to leave it alone. If someone fucks with it, call the cops. I recommend moving to a location with more amiable people.
>>
>>958628
It's a common practice done by rednecks and other detestable neighbors who can't communicate. Just throw some gas on a garden or patch of lawn, brown in seconds. Lived in eastern kentucky for 4 years, had it done to my lawn and garden twice by a 38 year old redneck neighbor who was living off of his girlfriends paycheck and liked to have guests park all over my lawn, went to have a civilized talk and it ended in passive aggressive botany destruction.
>>
>>962456
America ladies and gentlemen, lmao
>>
>>962456
>living in a shithole

Call the cops for stuff like that, get a security camera with night vision to catch them in the act. Give video to the cops. Move. When you live someplace else, become good friends with your neighbors. Install a good fence around your entire property. "Good fences make good neighbors." If a disaster occurs, having good relations with your neighbors is key. Be it someone losing their job to a house fire to a tornado coming through.

Also, keep detailed records of your crops and their growth. Keep an eye on what those plants are worth at local nurseries and greenhouses. This will help you in court and with your taxes when/if you lose your crops. You'll know their value. You'll have an actionable dollar amount.
>>
May this novice flower gardener get a $30 burpee gift card? ;)
>>
File: white_birch_bonsai1.jpg (40KB, 200x229px) Image search: [Google]
white_birch_bonsai1.jpg
40KB, 200x229px
Based mods
>>
>>962424
>You do realize this is a real thing right? Many people use urine as fertilizer. I do. Although, I pour it on the compost pile. Most people use it directly by diluting it in a ration of 1 part urine to 10 parts water then watering their plants. It is actually a pretty valuable resource.

I just go out and piss on my compost pile. Or rather, the brown pile that I have waiting until I'm not too lazy to actually go out and stack a proper pile for hot composting.
>>
>>962508
>stack a proper pile for hot composting
How do I do this? I have mostly garden waste and dog shit and some kitchen waste to compost. How to hot compost it?
>>
how can I grow an apple tree in my bedroom? keep in mind I have only a tiny window and I work 12 h per day so I don't have much free time
>>
hey guys, how do you cope with the feel that we will never leave our polluted chaotic cities and live the dream?
it makes me feel like shit, I'll have to live this shit suburban life till I die
>>
>>962511
>>962512
all your posts are getting deleted for a reason
>>
>>962513
don't know what you are talking about bro
are you a fellow city dweller? can you tell me, I'm new here, can I use tap water for my indoor tomatoes or is it too polluted?
it's already the seventh plant that dies so I'm starting to wonder
I wish I had a garden but I can't
>>
>>962513
wow you are kinda hostile on this thread lol
don't worry, I get it, the stress, tomorrow it's monday and another looong week begins ;)
>>
>>962509
That depends on how anal retentive you want to get. If you don't want to be too anal, and want to accept that the pile is going to shrink in size quite a bit, you make sure that you have plenty of green (nitrogen rich material) compared to the brown (carbon rich material.) If you want to be anal, shoot for a 25 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen.

As for the dog shit, you have to be careful when composting that kind of stuff. It's not that you can't do it, just that if you do it wrong, you can introduce pathogens into your garden. Basically, make sure that you have plenty of brown material, and make sure that the dog shit starts off mostly towards the center of the pile. Waiting a year before using it would also be wise.

Anyhow, once you've got all of those issues figured out, you build a pile, mixed with green and brown until you have at least (approx) a 3ft x 3ft minimum pile, and you make sure that it has the moisture content of a wrung out sponge. Let it sit for around 4-7 days, and then you maticulously turn it, so that what was on the outside goes on the inside and vise versa, while paying attention to the moisture content. After that, you turn it every 2-3 days, the same way. After about 3 weeks, you can let it sit and cool off for a month. If you used any carnivorous shit, or dead animals, let it sit for longer.

Again, things like dog shit and dead animals can be composted, but you have to be careful. I'm not going to advise for or against it, just let you know that if you should be aware that if you're going to do it, do it right.
>>
>>962516
I wish I could do this but I don't have a garden and I'll never have one
that's sad actually but hey, I don't give up, I'm trying to grow zucchini in my bedroom
wish me luck
>>
>>962519
Good luck dude
>>
File: linden1.jpg (662KB, 2082x1504px) Image search: [Google]
linden1.jpg
662KB, 2082x1504px
Do somebody else love the Tilia smell? Makes me remember a few good moments of my childhood.
>>
>>962511
>>962512
>>962514
>>962515
>>962519
>>962524
When you're replying to yourself, the number of posters in the bottom-right corner stays on "91".
It only moved to 92 because of >>962527 reply.
>>
>>962527
no
>>
>>962530

where did I have replied to myself? are you trying to start a flame, or trolling? that's against the rule bro
I have to ask you to stop thanks, your are ruining the thread
>>
File: AP876933789927[1].jpg (163KB, 1000x628px) Image search: [Google]
AP876933789927[1].jpg
163KB, 1000x628px
>tfw no real garden
>>
File: get_my_pergola_on_like_its_9,99.png (1MB, 1184x552px) Image search: [Google]
get_my_pergola_on_like_its_9,99.png
1MB, 1184x552px
Hopefully this is the right place to find some gardening anons who can help me out. I build a pergola and want to load it up with some green but 0 xp. I was thinking:
>5 large pots with clematis
>1 pot per vertical beam

Best i found to buy so far was:
Clematis montana 'Grandiflora', 225-250cm high, for 42 EUR per plant. With the reading i have done this seems the easiest and fastest way to get the job done. I plan to mix some other climbing plants in next year after seeing how this goes. I will avoid climbing rose as it sounds like a hassle.

Anyone have advice? Recommendations for crops i could also try? I don't think kiwi plants grow in the Netherlands and grapes tend to suck here when grown.

Pic related
>>
>>962565

I wouldn't be so sure about kiwi, check it out on google if they can survive in NL.
Here in northern italy they do just fine

Some plants I like for pergola is wisteria and bouganvillea, or you could always go with grape vines and you get even food and not just shade
>>
>>962509
>>962516
Basically, if feces are involved you need to compost it for 1 full year. That's the safe time frame. Although, stuff like horse manure is best after 3 years simply because of how great it ends up as soil.

>>962509
You just pile it together so the microbes heat it up.

>>962508
I have a funnel urinal to a jug in the bathroom. I'm not walking out in the middle of the night in the snow or rain.

>>962516
You don't need to turn your compost pile. You can, but it is work best left to the microbes.

>>962511
Lots of light, 5 gallon or larger bucket/bag of soil. Get a dwarf variety. I had a few indoors for many years. You may need to cold dormant them in a fridge over winter if you don't have a balcony to place it where it can go dormant on its own.

>>962512
>>962534
>>962527
>>962530
>>962532
Take that to /b/ /pol/ /sci/ or /adv/.

>>962514
>can I use tap water for my indoor tomatoes

Many cities put all manner of chemicals into the water during processing, that will adversely affect your plants. It is recommended that you use a special filter, get rainwater, or use bottled spring water. Some people truck in water from out of the city for their potted plants.

>>962519
Many people have bucket/bag gardens indoors. It all comes down to available light and added grow lights.

>>962565
Clematis will look stunning on that, but will totally block out all light under it, if that is your goal.

There is a variety of hardy kiwi you can try (native to Japan, Korea, Northern China, and Russian Siberia). They are smaller then normal kiwi.
>>
>>962565
You'll need trellis between the vertical post for anything to climb up that.
>>
File: IMG_20170305_181541.jpg (3MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170305_181541.jpg
3MB, 4160x2336px
Also, today I made my first grafts using white apricots
Pretty sure I fucked some of them, but maybe some survive
I need to make a wedge for widening the trunk, using the knife is not so comfy
>>
>>962587
I will get some wisteria for sure. Will look into the kiwi thing

>>962589
Thanks, good to get some encouragement

>>962593
I was hoping to avoid a trellis. I could make one against the stone wall which would also solve my potting problem
>>
Question about root depth. My lemon tree roots are particularly deep, should I be getting deeper pots to let them keep growing down?
>>
>>962788
Yes, unless you want to treat them like bonsai. In the end, you'll be trimming the roots anyway. That will help take care of being root bound in the pot. You'll need to do that once every 2 years at the very least.
>>
>>962796
they are at the seedling stage but the roots are like 8 inches deep
>>
>>962798
When they are root bound in that container, move them to a larger final container. Then when they are root bound again, you'd start trimming the roots. Google methods on how to do that properly.
>>
>>962596
what's the grey stuff?
>>
>>962375
What? I don't understand?
>>
>>962827
he's a cancer poster, a mod already deleted a bunch of his posts today
>>
For how long does snow peas usually produce pods? Until it starts freezing, or are they limited to a specific time period?
>>
>>962848
Um mine flowered once and that was it for the season
>>
>>962848
If you keep picking the pods it should produce until frost zaps it.
>>
File: IMG_1109.jpg (2MB, 2268x2268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1109.jpg
2MB, 2268x2268px
lemon fag here, pls r8

also some of em have been growing one huge leaf, not sure if that's normal
>>
>>962596

a sealant with some copper powder to avoid mushroom infections
>>
>>962879

meant for >>962825
>>
>>962879
>sealant

Name?
>>
>>962871
they habe cansur b0ss
>>
>>962309
i had 3 seperate seeds germ them die within a 2 week period, i think they are very sensitive to watering/ temp
>>
File: 2017-03-05_21-48-38.jpg (325KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-05_21-48-38.jpg
325KB, 800x1200px
>>962285
>>962275
German here with pomegranates sprouted Jan 2016
4 are in pots 2 planted in the garden
Potted ones grew much more slowly last year, were wintered in the cool but frost-free garage. 3 of them are outside again now but still bare at this point, the 4th one (pic) I brought inside back this January to wake it from winter sleep early, it's growing quite a lot.
I'll still have to wait a few weeks and see if the winter (went down to -9.5°C one night) did any damage to the ones planted in the garden - twigs still feel flexible at this point though so I hope for the best
>>
Planted some store bought mint around 2 weeks ago.

I've had to prune half the leaves in that time because something is eating them and I suspect it has mint rust.

Is my plant too far gone or can it be saved?
>>
>>963079
Mint is hard to kill. Don't baby it.
>>
>>962589
>You don't need to turn your compost pile. You can, but it is work best left to the microbes.

If you want it done in a hurry, you need to turn it. If I'm going to really be meticulous about it, I can have compost done in under a month. That's including getting it hot enough to kill any pathogens included from feces or dead (small) animals.
>>
>>963203
That's impossible and an outright lie.
>>
>>959165

For the record I think he didnt bung it up until year 10, so he knew exactly how it should be until then. I would shoot for a larger bottle too. I have a 5 and 6 gallon carboy for home brewing that I want to try this with this summer, but I dont want to ruin/waste it by filling it with dirt. I bet you can find one on craigslist for cheap when someone else gets over their homebrew experiments.
>>
>>963293
The amount of scratching caused by the dirt, inside the carboy, wouldn't affect your ability to brew in it, fyi. I have a few carboys I actually dug up from an old hillbilly dump site that had dirt, dead chipmunks, and other stuff in them. It took a long time to clean then I put them in the oven on 320F for 4 hours and let them cool for 2 hours before opening the door. I've brewed in them several times.

I have two 15 gallon glass demijohns. It'd be neat to turn one into a terrarium. Using them to brew turned out to be a massive chore due to their size.
>>
NEW THREAD: >>963302
>>
File: 1485159990952.jpg (180KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1485159990952.jpg
180KB, 439x550px
Algaefag #2 here.
I didn't realize the last thread was archived.

>>949188
Oh, how great! I am still gathering my gear to produce Chlorella and/or Spirulina.
It's kinda hard to find in Europoor and since I am relatively young, I have a really low budget. But I think I can make it work even with the gear at my place, but getting the cultures is my biggers setback.
>>949410
>dinoflagates
I would love those too. But I just need to set up a bunch of racks more that I own right now. I had brought two racks with the intention to be used for algae growing.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 88

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.