[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Salomon Discovery GTX Hiking Boots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I'm looking for a good pair of men's hiking boots. These Salomon Discovery GTX boots caught my eye. They are $111 in REI's clearance "garage" on their website. They are about $100 on Amazon.

They are fairly cheap price wise in regards to hiking boots.

Anyone have experience with these or Solomon in general?

Will these be worth it for moderate hiking or should I hold off and invest a little more money in a pair?
>>
I'm assuming boots will get more pricy once spring rolls around. Should I bite the bullet or hold off for something else? There are no reviews on REI and the reviews are pretty mixed on Amazon (although I've never really trusted Amazon reviews)
>>
>>958282
I'm not familiar with those but my entry level boot is the Merrell Moab. Yours appear to be within the same price range as the waterproof Moab.

I wore out a pair of Merrells in about two years of fairly consistent hiking (all weekend every weekend with some longer stints here and there). So, if you consider that moderate then they definitely held up.

How many miles are you looking at doing at a time? How often? What sort of terrain are you looking at hiking? Most often it's a good idea to get a cheap boot because you either won't use it very much or the terrain isn't challenging at all
>>
>>958338
Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. I have some basic woods trails near me. I try to get out at least once a week and do a few miles. I also may be going out west in a few months with some friends.

We're definitely going to Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas and we may swing down to Arizona (Flagstaff, Sedona, etc.)
>>
>>958348
here's an article that you might find helpful

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-hiking-boots

the first boot listed is by Salomon

There's nothing wrong with spending more to invest in better quality equipment. The question comes down to whether you'll get the miles out of them. As long as you know you're not going to quit the hobby before the boots give out then definitely get some good ones.
>>
>>958353
Good article, I appreciate it.
>>
>>958282

Learned the hard way that when you buy boots, buy them 1 size larger, not .5, than you normally wear. Your toes will thank me later on.
>>
>>958375
No problemo

>>958557
I was advised a long time ago to shop for hiking boots after a day spent on my feet since I'd get a good fit for the swelling. So, I did that for the fitting (wound up buying online though). I did a dayhike with a 20 pound pack and went to a camping supply place late in the day. A size up was exactly what I needed.
>>
Are the Moabs (or Moab 2s) a good deal or not? I'm a large fella, and plan to do quite a bit of hiking in the US in April/May. Will they fall to pieces? Otherwise, as I'll be doing the Southern part of the US, lightweight boots are exactly what I need - and it makes sense to buy them upon arrival, as warm climate hiking footwear isn't really a thing in the cold, damp and dark corner of Europe I live in.

>>958557
>>958561
Same goes for running shoes, size-wise. On the flipside of this coin, I was issued snug fitting boots in the service, and ended up losing my toenails during basic. Just in time for beach season.
>>
>>958282

Get Meindl boots.
>>
>>958282
salomon were in my top 3 choices. seem to fit well with narrow feet. construction seemed good and most people reviewed favourably. a little stiffer than the others. thought the tread was quite excellent. If you're feet aren't narrow I'd pay a lot of attention to if you feel any signs of crowding in these boots from the fitting because it will probably magnify once you wear them more (esp. little and big toe).
>>
>>958812
Yeah, I think my Moabs were a great choice. I live in the South and have done quite a bit of camping and hiking in them. As someone who has to wear heavy, steel toe work boots 6 days a week it's a welcome change of pace.

In terms of durability I've put them through four years of weekend warrior type use. I've done some extended hikes with them, though nothing very challenging (just a lot of walking through low land trails.) I'd recommend them in a heartbeat and would definitely buy them again.
>>
>>960368
Thanks for the input, bud. No idea where in the South you are, but any tips for good trails for your area?
>>
>>959108
>it will probably magnify
sorry I am an illiterate retard

do you mean magnify as in the crowding sensation or the do you mean your feet will feel better as you are breaking in the boots?
>>
>>958812
>Same goes for running shoes
it was fine for me when i was running for less than one hour,
then shit started to happen once i got better at running and ran for over one hour, the swelling got real with a snug fit
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.