[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Axe thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 279
Thread images: 70

File: wp_20233.jpg (271KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
wp_20233.jpg
271KB, 800x600px
Axe thread
>>
>>957198
im only replying out of pity.
aww, bless your little cotton socks x
>>
File: axe.jpg (8KB, 450x160px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
8KB, 450x160px
Are these lil Coleman hatchets good for /out/ing? I picked one up at big5 today, but it felt a little heavy. I'm not sure if I'd really want a "lightweight" hatchet, though.
>>
>>957290
prolly needs to be sharpened but after that it'll be fine m8
>>
>>957198
My go to is my Snow&Nealley Hudson Bay ax, it's served me well over the past hand full of years. I had to do a lot of work to thin the factory edge out to make it cut properly, other than that it's nice.

I'm considering getting some Scandinavian brand ax at some point... something with a little larger head and handle.

Pic related is the only pic I have of my Snow&Nealley.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (318KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
318KB, 1920x1080px
>>957198
This is what I have. If you can handle the extra weight and size, it is a really good tool.
>>
>>957290
It can cut wood, but its not the best at it.
>>
>>957307
I'm in love with that hatchet. I've wanted to get one that's a solid piece of metal instead of a head attached to a handle. How much did it cost?
>>
>>957330
They're like $35 at home depot.
>>
>>957307
I got the same one but with the leather handle. It's really nice. I'll never get another hatchet.

I also have a Vaughan Carpenter's hatchet which is really good around the house but doesn't choppasplit as well on accound of the thin concave blade
>>
>>957307

I was gunna pick one up soon, what would be best? I went to home depot and the sportsman axe (>>957342) has the best balance and lowest weight. the 16" is not balanced well and the 26" almost weighs the about 0.5 lbs more than the 16" and is nicely balanced.

is bringing a 26" axe one trails dumb if I want to make fires while out?
>>
>>957430
>is bringing a 26" axe one trails dumb if I want to make fires while out?
not dumb but totally unnecessary. you'll ragret carrying the extra weight. stick with a hatchet, i says.
>>
>>957430
Like you said the leather handled one is a 14 (sportsmans axe) and it is more balanced than the blue one pictured above which is a 16 (campers axe). The campers axe is like a pound heavier than the sportsmans axe and is a better chopper because of the added weight, but I like both of them nonetheless. I think the 26 is just too big if you backpacking
>>
>>957430
>is bringing a 26" axe one trails dumb if I want to make fires while out?
Yes. You don't need to chop wood to make a campfire
>>
File: axe.jpg (7KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
7KB, 200x250px
R8 please.
>>
Anyone have a cold steel hatchet of any sort? Looking for an honest review instead the budk tier reviews on the Internet
>>
>>957467
I have no personal experience with them, but I've heard a general "meh" consensus. That's the weird thing about Cold Steel, for the most part they make great knives and machetes, but their swords are shit, and I've heard bad things about some other their other products.
>>
>>957465
99/10 is an ax
>>
>>957307
I've got the long handle camp axe, it lives in the trunk of my car. Best damn axe I've owned.

>Road tripping with friends through Alaska
>Buddy borrows it to process some deadfall for camp
>"Holy shit, this thing is sharp! Are you an axe murderer?"

>"Maybe. You know what you should never ask an axe murderer?"

>"What?"

>" 'Are you an axe murderer?' "

>"....Shit"

We laughed and laughed.

I miss him sometimes.
>>
>>957433
This, I bought one and it's so big it's impractical as fuck. Go with the sportsman or the 16". I should have.
>>
>>957478
Don't murder people you will miss, anon. And I'm about sick of running across all those bodies when I go out to Alaska, clean up your mess.
>>
>>957488
That's what bears are for.
>>
>>957467
I've got the Rifleman's hawk, it's good for throwing, comes incredibly dull out of box as per usual for Cold Steels machetes and axes, the handle comes with a little safety pin but the head on my was wiggly despite the little safety pin. For chopping, it's okay for limbing but pretty terrible for crosscutting because of the speed bumps and dull edge. The handle transfers next to no vibrations because of how thin it is, but my hand kept slipping down about half an inch lower every few chops. It's not a bad purchase if you're willing to do some work on it to make it chop properly and all.
>>
I'm poor as fuck, and in Canada.
I need an alright hatchet that doesn't break bank, and doesn't break itself before 2 years are up.

What's the best bet?
>>
>>957567
Estwing, Condor, Husqvarna, Fiskars.
>>
>>957237
what's your problem m8?
>>
File: estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png (105KB, 404x570px) Image search: [Google]
estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png
105KB, 404x570px
>>957567
>>957568
And Vaughan you guise
>>
>>957561

That's the one I was looking at and that's what I wanted to hear, thanks!
>>
>>957567
How poor is poor as fuck?

Because honestly, all gear fetishism aside, you can walk in to any hardware store with $20-30 and walk out with a perfectly serviceable hatchet. Even one of those shitty $10 Coleman/Coghlan's hatchets will last you at least a few years if you keep it sharp enough.
>>
>>957467
I have the trailhawk, i like it. It can cut wood and split it. And i consider it is light weight.
>>
>>957488
>>957478

Also I recommend getting a Lansky Puck. This and a some 3-in-1 oil is how I keep my Estwing so sharp.

Also works great on machetes and shovels.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgQA0su27JM

Hard to buy anything else after this.
>>
>>957654
they said America/American 12 times
>>
>>957654
>america
>>
>>957658
Can confirm, Patriotism increasing.
>>
File: burgerspurdo.png (207KB, 996x832px) Image search: [Google]
burgerspurdo.png
207KB, 996x832px
>>957662
>'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica 'Murica
>>
>>957567
Just get an Estwing, they are $30 bucks on amazon and will literally last you the rest of your life and lives of your descendents. I have never seen 1 piece forged Estwing tool break...we have Estwing hammers on the truck older than I am that we use for demo, just beating the literal piss out of them...and the axes are made of the same steel from the same process. Google broken Estwing...there are no results.
>>
>>957690
Although one of the image results is a unicorn.
>>
>>957690
Why no get a marbles? Their like a regular hatchet, but you can replace the handle if it gets messed up, something you can't do with an estwing.
>>
>>957342
I have this one. Works for me.
>>
>>957703
the point of an estwing handle is that it can't get messed up
>>
File: 7290445436_15b575097c_z.jpg (138KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
7290445436_15b575097c_z.jpg
138KB, 360x640px
>>957690
>>
File: 20140916_163258.jpg (732KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20140916_163258.jpg
732KB, 2048x1152px
muh axes
>>
>>957718
>'Murica
>>
>>957568
Thanks. Is fiskars really okay? That hollow plastic seems a bit fishy to me, but I really have't used one

>>957571
Thanks

>>957635
Like I hung coffee filters to dry for a second use before being gifted a Vietnamese coffee drip by our parish priest

Should I worry about getting a stone, then, and trade off a few $ for it instead?

>>957690
>>957718
I recognize that hammer, because my dad has one. It got bent once, so he drove over it on the other side. I'd bet somebody to a grinder to that thing.
Didn't know those guys made hatchets, though.

>>957703
I saw a few marbles on ebay for alright prices, but 35+ isn't what I can drop until after april.

Thanks all for the advice all. I'll post results once I buy it and get it blessed.
>>
>>957759
The plastic handles are pretty damn tough, they do have a warranty where if you break the handle, you send them a picture and they send you a free replacement.
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (2MB, 2936x2504px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.jpg
2MB, 2936x2504px
mein hatchet
>>
>>957290
The shaft on those is usually hollow and just glued on. As long as you don't torque it sideways you should be ok.
>>
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
My favorite cheapo option is the Coghlan's pack axe. If you just need something to split kindling at camp it works fine. Single piece carbon steel and they're like $15-20 most stores.
>>
>>957773
Make/model? Looks sexy
>>
>>958153
Probably a Rinaldi, they're relatively cheap on Baryonyx knife co.'s website.
>>
>>958165
>Probably a Rinaldi, they're relatively cheap on Baryonyx knife co.'s website.
Thanks <3
>>
File: DSCN00812.jpg (3MB, 3584x2696px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00812.jpg
3MB, 3584x2696px
>>958153
>>958165
no it's stamped TITAN 700 (grams probably) a very old italian tool maker, this hatchet is old as fuck
you can find a similar hatchet from Rinaldi at Baryonyx

I have others like this, the big one is Rinaldi n.7 1700 grams, the small one has pitted away but it should be 400 grams. According to my taste you will not find better axes than the Italian patterns anywhere in the world
>>
>>958262
The axe you use depends on the lumber you cut, if you're cutting hardwoods or mostly just limbing trees, a long bladed and narrow profiled axe is preferable, if you're cutting soft woods then a thicker profile and shorter bit is better.
>>
File: p8220016.jpg (147KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
p8220016.jpg
147KB, 800x600px
>>958318
there's all kinds of patterns for all types of woods. Conifers grow on the italian mountains too

This is a racing axe from a guy racing in the italian championship where they can use whatever axe they want. He says he prefers Rinaldi because their carbon steel although softer than that used by international brands gets a keener edge

In Stihl Timbersports on the other hand they use a standard axe provided by Ochsenkopf that has to be the same for all athletes, but there they use very soft woods that are treated to be even more soft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiIxiGeHp9k
>>
>>957759
>Thanks. Is fiskars really okay? That hollow plastic seems a bit fishy to me, but I really have't used one
it's more than okay it's probably the best value for the price you can find anywhere.
>>
>>958344
one thing about those composite handles because the toughness is not a worry you will break a dozen wooden handle before one of those and they ship with a lifetime replacement warranty if you do somehow manage. i have seen destruction vids and it's hard doing.

so the one thing about them i heard from many people is that the long shafts for some people transfer resonance and it's uncomfortable. i have no idea if they just suck at using an axe as many didn't notice this or some handles in the beginning were indeed prone to it. i guess you just have to try one out and decide.

for short handles like hatchets i can testify the resonance thing doesn't exist.
>>
>>957198
Daily reminder that battoning with an axe is stupid.
>>
decent axes in the $30 range? Looking for something for an extended canoe trip.
>>
File: knife.jpg (95KB, 1233x925px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
95KB, 1233x925px
I own an estwing. They are not a completely metal tang. they go about halfway into the handle and then go composite materials.

It works ok, i live up in Alaska and have cut a tree down with it. I use the puck as well and that keeps it sharp.

If I am backpacking i just use a sven saw because sawing shit is easier than chopping it while out where i am.

Or a kukri. Shit is like carrying a hatchet and knife all in one.
>>
>>957682
I have fiskars perkele
>>
File: 9 (4).jpg (116KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
9 (4).jpg
116KB, 1600x1068px
>>957198
>2k17
>not using spurdo axes
PLEBS
>>
Got a whole mess of axes rattling around in my truck.. I'll grab some photos when it's not dark out.
>>
>>958333
Actually i think in Timbersports they have a selection of axes from different brands and they can choose handle length and small details, but the basic design is the same with all the companies.
>>
>>958351
so the one thing about them i heard from many people is that the long shafts for some people transfer resonance and it's uncomfortable
Only true if you're stupid or incompetent. I was splitting wood with it for about an hour and a half without break and mostly without gloves or my Husqvarna Classic which have very thing leather and i didn't really feel any vibrations. You might feel vibrations on chopping wood cross-grain.
>>
>>958525
There's literally a discussion on Fiskars axes right above your question. But since you seem to be either dumb or lazy, Fiskars, Estwing and Vaughan.
>>
>>958333
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiIxiGeHp9k
Few things i noticed on the video:
-DAMN that thing goes through that spruce incredibly fast and it would probably be completely functional as a woods ax unlike Tuatahi competition axes.
-Where can i buy this axe, preferably with a shorter and more basic handle?
>>
File: roughhew.jpg (3MB, 2075x2988px) Image search: [Google]
roughhew.jpg
3MB, 2075x2988px
bought a $28 3.5lb felling axe from home depot, came very dull. I managed to fell a dying pine tree and do some rough hewing with it. Just bought a granfors small forest axe online.
>>
I restored a carpenter's axe that I found rusting in my grandmother's garage.

Evapo-rust is a gift from god.
>>
>>959507
i had the feeling that it was somehow wrong use like hitting at a bad angle holding the axe wrong or bad grip.
>>
>>959506
I dunno, I don't compete, that's what I've read. However a competition axe is a very impractical axe, it has an almost 20cm edge and weighs 3kg

>>959510
Yes that is actual spruce with nothing added to it. I've read in an italian forum that the timbersports wood is a very very soft variety of pine that has been frozen and treated in some other ways to be as soft as possible, that's why they use those axes that are useless for everything else
The axes they use in italian national competitions are Rinaldi usually n.6 (they have this numerical system for weights that goes 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. for example 0 is 500 grams, 6 is 1500g, 7 is 1700g) and there are many models http://www.flli-rinaldi.it/scuri/
I think the ones used in competitions are the "Cadore" http://www.flli-rinaldi.it/portfolio-item/art-311-scure/ or "Trento" http://www.flli-rinaldi.it/portfolio-item/art-307-scure/nto" http://www.flli-rinaldi.it/portfolio-item/art-307-scure/
>>
>>960698
>I've read in an italian forum that the timbersports wood is a very very soft variety of pine that has been frozen and treated in some other ways to be as soft as possible, that's why they use those axes that are useless for everything else
They don't use any special processes, but the 2 woods they use are white pine P. strobus and a species of aspen most likely P. tremula, both of which are incredibly soft and even a normal felling axe bites deep, even more so when it's a big heavy and very thinly ground axe.
>>960670
There are ways to mitigate shock vibrations but you'll still get them and feel them more if you split knotty wood or chop cross-grain.
>>
>>958333
Why is the handle so short?
>>
>>957307
Back in the mid 90s as a teenager I lusted after one of these after seeing one at a co-op in the tool section. I finally saved up the $60 they were asking and got it.

That was the first thing I ever wanted and saved up for. 20 yrs later and it's a bit bent and filed down but even the handle is still in good shape. The weight would be an issue for long hiking trips but you can't beat it for making camp
>>
>>960773
I'd guess speed and precision. Longer handles hit harder but are slower and inaccurate
>>
>>960773
Probably personal preference.
>>
File: 507_2-1024x730.jpg (50KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
507_2-1024x730.jpg
50KB, 1024x730px
>>957198
>>
no love for bearded axes?
>>
>>961425
No, bearded axes are good only for hewing. I'm serbian and I'm not a fan of the axes here
>>
>>961465
Same here, i ground the beard on mine off.
>>
>>961488
care to show some pics?
>>
>>961488
Also wanting pics.

Also keep posting axes/hatchet pictutes, everyone.
I plan on going innamountains here soon but don't have any suitable hatchets.
>>
File: 915_001.jpg (53KB, 954x730px) Image search: [Google]
915_001.jpg
53KB, 954x730px
I'll try to make a hatchet one of these days out of leaf spring
I'm going for this very basic design
>>
>>957720
>the 2 on the bottom right
HHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG
>>
File: crazy fuckers.png (246KB, 628x262px) Image search: [Google]
crazy fuckers.png
246KB, 628x262px
so i've been wanting some sort of good sized axe for a while for innawoodsing and possible pavement ape hacking, if it should come to that, even though i have plenty of guns and an ar with 6 loaded mags, my point being, the regular hatchet/axe design doesn't really appeal to me, and i was rewatching the LOTR trilogy just earlier, and i saw those boys from rohan with these single edged bearded axes. i'm wanting to know just how viable something similar to this would be, i don't want something exactly like that, i want the blade portion a bit shorter, but are they well balanced? anyone have any experience with these?
where would i acquire a good quality one? will follow up with ones similar to what i desire
>>
>>
>>
File: sekira-manarinska-1-6kg-Se.png (87KB, 200x169px) Image search: [Google]
sekira-manarinska-1-6kg-Se.png
87KB, 200x169px
>>961542
I'm serbian and I have several bearded axes, why do you think they are a better design? They are not superior in any way to a straight axe.
If you really want an axe like that you can find bulgarian axes for sale on ebay and etsy and there are finnish axes that are a little bearded
>>
File: AA213.jpg (24KB, 250x450px) Image search: [Google]
AA213.jpg
24KB, 250x450px
>>961555
aesthetics mainly, but also i enjoy the idea of having a slightly larger cutting area on the head, i really like the look of the one in that picture you posted, and i'm currently considering the one in pic related, i'd like to keep it around $100 to $120 at most, i feel like it would be useful to be able to grab it up by the handle and use it for precise cutting and things like that
>>
>>961556
There's a lot of makers that make axes like that. Try cold steel http://www.coldsteel.com/products/axes-tomahawks/viking-hand-axe.html
I suggest you get a slide on handle instead of a wedged one
>>
>>961557
i like the way that looks, and there is the simplicity of ordering through cold steel, they make decent stuff from my experience but i don't really like the look of the round handle.
i'm not getting many results for slide on handles, care to elaborate? i appreciate the help you guys.
>>
>>961559
A slide on handle is a tomahawk handle. And yeah I don't like round handles either, better if it's oval

This things looks like a nice piece of equipment http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanwei-Forge-Bearded-Viking-Battle-Axe-Antiqued-30-5-Sheath-XH1073-/222306062759
>>
>>961566
that looks pretty good but i don't prefer using ebay, i'm sure you get why even if this would be pretty straight forward, i'm looking at the CRKT axes right now, because i don't feel like cold steel is gonna be using very good materials.
>>
>>961577
What's wrong with ebay? I've never had a problem within the EU.
>>
>>961584
i don't feel like setting up paypal, and i don't want to get fucked over, even though it's pretty unlikely in this situation
>>
>>961584
same guy btw, have you heard anything about kult of athena?
http://www.kultofathena.com/axes.asp

these look pretty good
>>
>>961588
Yeah but I'm not really into the weapons thing, and I'm not in america

Check one of these, I have posted them before and they are great http://www.baryonyxknife.com/rinaldi.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YHwQOgugo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVpPvdhF-cs
>>
give me the details on making handles.
NOW
>>
File: sekirca.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
sekirca.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>961516
>>961526
The handle is just a piece of fresh hazel i carved in about 20 minutes since i broke the original black locust handle.
>>
>>961802
fockin awesome
are you /balk/?
>>
>>961841
Yep, Slovenian.
>>
>>961702
>Get straight consistent grain
>sand until smooth
>flare the bottom
>get a good wedge for the eye, there are several options available
>>
>>961849
linseed oil may also be recommended
>>
>>957658
Watched and counted, yup... Thats alot of freedom
>>
>>961851
it's toxic if it gets on your skin
good choice!
>>
>>961702
>get straight grain, split a log with a froe and hew roughly with a side axe
>learn to finish with a drawknife and spokeshave instead of rasping/sanding
>learn to use a straight handle without flare
>don't use axes with wedged handles, get one with a tomahawk handle
>apply used motor oil which is not toxic at all
>>
>>961881
Hurr durr people who like a flare on their handle r dum im gud lumberjack doh. And who needs a wedged handle anyway? Sure tomahawk handles can't be shaped as good and you are basically forced to shape it to the ax eye, but hey, all in an effort to sound cool and smart, right?
>>
File: bullshit.png (251KB, 461x360px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
251KB, 461x360px
>>961865
>linseed oil
>it's toxic if it gets on your skin
>>
>>961932
Because it's not superior in any way to a tomahawk handle and it's going to fail every time. You love your liberty so much that you won't allow an axe eye to restrict your creativity, but I'm fine with that and if you hold on the handle it's not going to slip out of your hands

What bugs me is that a lot of people think that is the proper way for an axe to be. It's not and it's a specialized tool for felling giant softwood where the faller is swinging the axe all day cutting those big notches. The thinner cheeks, long thin handle and swell at the bottom are great for this purpose because they offer you comfort and precision but it's not good for much else. An european axe is made to be tough and versatile for every logging operation

The only reason I would have an american axe is for fun and chopping some tree every once in a while but I wouldn't carry one with me when logging or camping

>>961959
Boiled linseed oil is kind of toxic because it's treated to make it oxidize as fast as possible, so it forms a hard crystalline layer on the wood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Modified_linseed_oils
>>
>>959343
bought for $15 because I'd never use an axe before.
>works great on taking down branches and can split ok.
>chipped it day three because I'm a tard. But also it withstood the first time I accidentally hit a rock, so overall bretty gud for $15 if you can get it for that price.
>>
You should wear gloves when applying any wood finish, regardless if it's natural or synthetic.
>>
>>961410
Man that's a beautiful axe. It's a danish pattern right?
>>
>>962032
Maybe if you're a liberal faggot with sensitive hands
>>
>>962032
>>961993
How about you wash your hands when you're done treating the handle.
I also didn't quite understand the discussion; is a straight tomahawk handle supposed to be better then a 'normal' one? English isn't my first language, plz explain.
>>
>>962391
The straight handle allows it to better slide through your hand when throwing. But the normal hatchet handle with curve at bottom is better for getting extra power when splitting wood
>>
>>961865
so is sunlight
>>
>>962391
Straight handle for accuracy and for throwing, curved handle for extra leverage and looks.
>>
I just bought a new hatchet at a gun show, yesterday!
>>
>>962457
Not really interesting considering you gave the most vague "description" possible. Give us a brand and some pics ffs.
>>
File: 20170305_104013.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_104013.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>962482
I'll bet you call girls that finish your blowjobs with a handie cockteasers, you big meanie.
>>
>>962579
How could you tell?
>>
File: 20170305_104052.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_104052.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>962579
Marked:
Marble's, 1893-1993
Pocket Safety Axe.
A. G. Russell, Springdale, AR - Solingen Germany
>>
File: 20170305_105138.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_105138.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>962583
>>
File: 20170305_105210.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_105210.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>962584
>>
>>962583
>>962584
>>962586
I think i remember Wranglerstar doing a restoration on one of these.
>>
I have a vintage single bit head that I am looking to re-handle. It is 7 5/8 wide from blade to hammer end and has a 4 3/4 blade edge with a 3 1/2 wide hammer end. It probably weighs about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds. What do you guys recommend for handle length?
>>
>>962628
This one is unused. Priced at $45, I offered and got it for $40.

Smallish, it's cute! First thing I did when I got it was put it in my front pocket!
>>
>>962637
I'd say at least 28 inches, but perhaps 30, 32 or even 36 might be better, either way, make a test handle fitted like a tomahawk from crap wood and try the balance with the different lengths and choose the one you prefer.
>>
>>962641
It definitely seems like it would fit in a pocket, i imagine it would be nice with a 10 inch handle maybe, that way you could put it in a cargo pocket with minimal effort.
>>
File: 20170305_203353.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_203353.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
so i got myself the head of a hatchet on the fleamarket last weekend and gave it a new handle i bought for it. Mind this was my first time doing it.
>>
File: 20170305_203301.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_203301.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>962705
i paid 5€ for the head and 8€ for the handle. the handle needed some grinding and linseed oil
>>
>>961959
why don't you faggots ever read the labels on products? it clearly states toxicity.
>>
>>962762
altho i must add that once it is soaked into the wood dried and polymerized (which takes quiet a few days btw) it's probably not much of a worry anymore.
>>
>>962762
>it clearly states toxicity.
mine doesn't
>>
>>962032
I wear gloves when I polish my bayonet, if you know what I mean?

>wink, wink, nudge nudge!
>>
>>962658
Yeah I was kind of thinking of doing a 28 or a 30 to make it more handy...but the local store only has 34 and 36 that fit that eye...so I guess the decision made itself lol.
>>
File: real tung oil.jpg (54KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
real tung oil.jpg
54KB, 576x768px
>>961959
>not using all natural non toxic china wood oil with all natural non toxic citrus solvent.
>>
>>962586
Woah what? I've never seen a handle like that. More pics and what does it do
>>
File: hatchet.jpg (2MB, 3360x2240px) Image search: [Google]
hatchet.jpg
2MB, 3360x2240px
Here's mine. Just finished putting a collar and new handle on. I want to make it my camp hatchet, but I feel it's too impractical with the shape of the head.
>>
>>962972
Handle is backwards
>>
>>962972
Lol.
>>
>>962976
>>962985
I realize it's not the way it's supposed to go. After I cut it to length I decided it looked better this way.
>>
>>962972
It might make a good carving hatchet.
>>
>>962972
that is one hell of a sexy axe head man! how does she preform?
>>
>>963287
It's really good for throwing, but I haven't taken it camping even though I've had it for a couple years. It's coming with me on the first /out/ting of the year which is hopefully later this month
>>
>>962995
well, the axe certainly does look good
>>
>>962766
maybe it's a special snowflake 100% organic vegan linseed oil.
>>
>>957770
Can someone upload a pic of a broken fiskars and we all get free axes!?!?!
>>
>>962705
you did great, now succumb to the axe addiction
>>
>>960587
How much did you pay for the granfors? Also what made you choose the size you did?
>>
File: dscn3213.jpg (209KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dscn3213.jpg
209KB, 800x600px
Here's a nice solution to the tomahawk handle problem
>>
>>961536
DSI. they dont make them like that anymore. or at all i think
>>
File: 20170310_174139.jpg (589KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_174139.jpg
589KB, 2048x1152px
>>957483
Just went from the 26" to the 18". The 26 did good, but it wasn't very intuitive. I was always having to figure out if one hand or two for each job.

The little Gerber is surprisingly versitile. I bought one seemingly identical in the Fiskers brand, but it was made in China rather than Finland. Huge difference in steel quality. Worth paying double for a Finnish one.
>>
>>966455
It took me a while to get used to my 26", but once I did I loved.

I can see why it would be impractical for backpacking, though. Hence why I use it for long term or car camping (gasp!) on road trips.
>>
Posted in the knife thread without knowing we had an axe one so i'll throw it in here instead.

I just ordered a Wetterlings Compact Hatchet, heard alot of good about their axes (and sadly heard they are getting bought out by gransfors), and I dont have a hatchet so I felt like it was time I finally got one.
>>
>>966624
Seems like alot of dough, but I really like the looks and size. If you use it until it's used up, then I expect it will be worth it. Nice.
>>
>>966635
yeah it was but I had some tax return money to use and im planning to use it for a long time. any tips on axe maintenance?
>>
>>966637
Get an axe puck for shure. The lansky are ok, but I prefer the cheap ones H.J. Epstein sells. They are thicker and have a more positive grip indention. Besides that, rust preventative for the metal, and raw linseed oil for the wood.
>>
>>959343
I have the little Gerber like that. As someone said earlier, the new production Fiskers are being made in China now rather than Finland. There is a notable difference in steels and fit.
>>
>>957718
I've seen them slightly bent before. I don't see any associated bending there though. Makes me think inclusions in the steel or over hardening.
>>
Friend just sent me a pic of his new ax...how drunk were they when they hung the axe?
>>
I am new to bushcraft and camping, but i really love it. I have all of the equipment i need, except an axe. I had a hultafors 3 1/2# 32" felling axe, but broke it last month. I want to get a smaller axe, big enough to drop small trees, but smal enough to do fine woodwork/carving with. I am thinking about getting a 23-30 inch axe with a 2- 2 1/2 pound head. What weight/length would you reccomend, and what brands can you reccomend?
>>
>>967401
this is my hatchet and I carry it with me everyday when cutting wood >>957773
you can find similar new ones here and I recommend them http://www.baryonyxknife.com/rinaldi.html

I have a husqvarna carpenter's axe which I've read is made by hultafors, they are good too

if you can find them Helko axes are also good quality

>>967399
what's wrong?
>>
>>967407
>what's wrong
Look at that shoulder, it's at least 5 inches too big, an ax isn't supposed to be hung that high up on the shoulder.
>>
File: xml-60-BIZ+042010.jpg (16KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
xml-60-BIZ+042010.jpg
16KB, 400x266px
>>967454
maybe it is supposed to be hung like that
>>
>>967463
Yeah an ax is supposed to be made unwieldy...
>>
File: ohyeah.jpg (23KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ohyeah.jpg
23KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>967502
Brush axes are so fucking cool, good for cutting down undergrowth and great for chopping heads off political opponents.
>>
File: axe_test_stihl.jpg (80KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
axe_test_stihl.jpg
80KB, 800x450px
>>967463
the thicker part is supposed to make it stronger in case you mis hit. also it makes applying a sheet metal collar around it easier in order to protect the wood, you can't place it if the curve starts immediately below the head

it's not unwieldy, what makes you think that
>>
>>967567
It looks unwieldy because your hand will never actually get high enough to touch the point of balance, which is where your swings should always start if you want precise aim.
>>
>>961993
so i gues its not toxic anymore if it crystalized
and formed a hard layer
>>
>>967616
i'm not sure if this is true but whatever
the most accurate way is to not slide your hands at all but keep them firm on the handle

these are some interesting videos i'm watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYpu5hQjxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AqRrFwVmXI cutting scene starts 14:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IX5bsA-oEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDnKrUh03lM also with part 2 and 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFqEd8-xFU
>>
File: Axes1.jpg (140KB, 590x960px) Image search: [Google]
Axes1.jpg
140KB, 590x960px
Big axes are a Kelly and an ancient Sager, the little one is a newer Council Tool boy's axe that I put a scandi grind on for the heck of it.
>>
>>966647
fiskers explicitly stated the axes are all made in finland and it will remain so. the gerber ones on the other hand probably made either in china or finland depending on fuck knows what the weather maybe.
>>
>>967664
If you are splitting logs or cutting wood and truly know what you are doing, then the proper for is sliding your hand down for more force. It also doesn't wear out your hands like having both hands with a firm grip
>>
>>968033
I have a Gerber freescape and the Fiskars x7. They are both made in Finland.
>>
File: FEAST.jpg (165KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
FEAST.jpg
165KB, 1162x850px
>>967502
>>967549
the billhook masterrace lives on
>>
File: IMG_2471[1].jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2471[1].jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My Wetterlings hatchet arrived today. sexy af gonna take it on a overnighter this weekend.
>>
File: ok chums lets do this.jpg (137KB, 748x750px) Image search: [Google]
ok chums lets do this.jpg
137KB, 748x750px
>>957198

Last night I gave my CS Frontier Hawk a touch up with a DC4 and a bit of a strop afterwards.

Hair popping convex bevel, I just wish the weather would let up so i cant out and use it :/
>>
>>968151
do you go around with patches of hair missing from your arms?
>>
>>968162
i test sharpness of the tools i really care about on my arms without thinking, had a medical student talk to me for like 42 minutes aboute my "skin condition" when i was drunk at a party once before i figured out what the hell she was talking about
>>
>>968165
kek

>drunk at a party
>talking with a female
normie
>>
>>968162
Not that guy, but I have this sickness as well. Right arm all furry, left arm bald. It's not even a good test really. A burr shaves really well. Save me from myself.
>>
meh what do you need it to be that sharp for? it's going to lose that edge pretty quickly anyway
I just run a file to make a decent edge and get to work the few times I use an axe to actually cut
how an axe will perform depends a lot on how it is forged and ground not only at the very edge but way back, different woods require different profiles. before us people would have their axes reforged when they got too thick because of grinding, to thin out the cheeks, that's what is important. if it is polished shaving sharp or just normal sharp doesn't make that much of a difference
>>
>>968182
try carving with an axe and not just splitting, then you'll understand boyo
>>
>>968240
try actually cutting some wood like in a forest
>>
>>957871
Hey I just got a similar one yesterday. I got it because it's cheap, but I haven't tried it. I don't really expect much of it, but what really worries me is whether it's sturdy enough, does it behave well under the stress of regular use?
>>
>>968128
You polish that wood, buddy.
>>
File: Axe[1].png (56KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
Axe[1].png
56KB, 256x144px
Axe
>>
>>968275

chainsaw... or are you living in the dark ages
>>
>>968344
i'm living in serbia, we use chainsaws but since we are poor we don't throw away anything even the branches and that's where you have a lot of axe work to do
>>
>>961410
I'm cutting firewood not raiding farmsteads
>>
>>967502
I meant for camping. If your cutting a lot of firewood you probably want something heavier.
>>
>>968683
Buddy brush axes are heavy as fuck.
>>
>>968706
used them for 10 years, they are lite, I would use one as a walking stick. in my humble opinion.
>>
>>968711
My granddad finds his Husqvarna 77 light, that's because he's used to it, it's still a heavy as fuck chainsaw. Point is, once you get used to carrying something around you'll think it's light.
>>
>>968715
yeah your right. just my opinion.
>>
File: whatisairlol.jpg (34KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
whatisairlol.jpg
34KB, 600x399px
Do people in hot cuntries chop firewoods?
>>
>>968723
yes
>>
>>968063
yes i know but gerbers can be made in china while fiskars can't.
>>
File: Cold Steel Italian Long Sword.jpg (226KB, 767x1676px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Italian Long Sword.jpg
226KB, 767x1676px
>>957469
>but their swords are shit, and I've heard bad things about some other their other products.
I dunno about that, mind you this is all anecdotal. I have the Italian Longsword which I've used and abused more than someone probably should use and abuse a sword and aside from a very slight crossguard rattle it's fine. As far as being a good longsword? Weight is fine, if ever so slightly on the heavy side, but balance is kind of off. Great for 2-handed stances but kinda wonky with a 1-handed grip. That being said, I'm pretty happy with it. It's a solid sword that has yet to lose effectiveness after nearly 3 years of abuse. I'd rate it a 3.5/5 due to rattle guard weight/balance issues. Oh also the stitching on the grip kinda digs into your fingers after a while if you're not wearing gloves.
>>
>>968797
Wrong. I will take pictures if proof will make you kiss my ass.
>>
File: 31A7LSWDHWL._SL256_.jpg (8KB, 192x256px) Image search: [Google]
31A7LSWDHWL._SL256_.jpg
8KB, 192x256px
Look, a Finnish Brush AXE for 25$!

MADE IN CHINA
>>
>>968863
mong you need to seriously learn to read.
i told you twice that some gerber axes are made in finland and some are not. so what if your happen to be made in finland? who the fuck cares? i have seen made in china with my own eyes.
>>
>>968893
It's a Fiskars.
>>
>>968897
now i'm lost, you have a gerber axe or a fiskars?
i know fiskars owns gerber but their axes look different. and gerber moved all it's production to china but some of their stuff is partially produced by fiskars in finland and some of fiskars stuff is produced in china now just not the axes.
>>
http://www.discountcutlery.net/Gerber-Axes_c_4669.html
you can see that most gerber axes that are basically clones off a fiskars one are made in finland while the meme ones are made in china. but you will also notice that the same injection mold axe head on the combo axe is made in china and there were axes that were made in china sold under gerber brand and looked exactly like the ones made in finland. except for the crap steel and crap fiberglass composite handle.

meanwhile fiskars explicitly state that all their axes have been and will continue to be made in finland. no such thing from gerber.

so check where it was made before you buy it. and also gerber can be more expensive than fiskars by 30-50% at places.
>>
File: 20170314_162233.jpg (609KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170314_162233.jpg
609KB, 2048x1152px
Fiskars brush axe upc
>>
what's the point of this discussion dumbasses?
>>
File: this.jpg (23KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
23KB, 370x370px
hi fags
im a noob in axes, but i got this one that i tried sharpening, it's a cheap one so im practicing on it since i dont know the tecnique.
i've used pic related to sharp it at around 45° first but trying it couldnt cut shit; so i tried again going for around 75° and it works ok now but not too good. the edge was extremly damaged so i worked it out for a while to delet all that.
do you have any tips on how to do the work good? cant get anything decent out of it coz cheap axe? had problem cutting 3cm thick wood, is that ok?
>>
>>969420
get a file, not a rock.
>>
>>969421
sharpen up the blade at a 20-15 angle i guess.
>>
>>969421
>>969422
how can i pick the correct one for use? not too rough not too soft?
thx for help
>>
>>969420
a stone like that is fine

use light to you advantage
are you moving the stone or the axehead?
when you shine a light directly at the edge is there any reflection or shiny spots
remember to do equal on each side

is your problem the axe not "biting" as much as you would like?

>i use a stone like that for my lawnmower and my scythe when i used that
>>
>>969424
i block the axe, and keep the stone at around 15° and move from the edge to the back of the axe (sorry for gorilla tier english)
the finished result is kinda rough, i sharpen my kitcken knifes so i have an overall idea of how it should look, this isnt close to that, but i dunno what to use to give it the well polished look
>>
>>969427
do you move the stone "away" from the edge, or "towards" the edge? or in a circular motion?
>>
dude use a grinder with a flap disk and keep the steel cool, then finish up with the stone

touching up the edge is not enough, you have to have a good geometry way back if you want the axe to bite deep in the wood. if the head is too thick it can't make its way in the wood and it doesn't matter if it's sharp, it just will not be able to cut through
that's why you should buy a properly forged axe head
>>
>>969440
the edge is looking at me and i move toward it, if that is clear
i try to apply pressure only when moving forward and not when coming back, trying to move over all the edge during the movement (not too slow not too fast)
>>
>>969442
im just a casual, cant afford a grinder just to sharp an axe
i agree on all your points, i will probably buy a better tool soon (live like 15km from that rinaldi i often see talked about on those threads) but i wanna practice on a cheap shit not to ruin a good tool with noob attempts
>>
>>969449
you can find a shit angle grinder for 20 euro or dollars anywhere in the world and it's a pretty universal tool
you would spend 50 bucks on an axe but not buy a grinder?
>>
>>969451
only seen stuff above 100euro, will try to look better then
i dont do this stuff as a job so im not really self confident on what im doin
>>
>>969453
i'm not confident with living but i'm trying my best, just do like me
>>
>>969454
i will try, thanks senpai
life is hard for insecure people
>>
>>957658
I wonder if Estwing is darn proud of it?
>>
File: 305020.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
305020.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>969423

if the axe needs a lot of sharpening, you want a mill file about 15-20 cm long, and a couple clamps to hold it on a table. You use the file to setup the blade angle, then sharpen it more with the stone.
>>
>>968334
charges
his sets are fucking ridiculous now
>>
>>970478
>Clamps
A vise would also be a good choice.
>>
>>970478
If the edge is very damaged my technique is to take the file on a 90 degree angle against the blade so i flatten it and then just simply re-do the edge, much quicker then just sharpening, but i would only recommend it for super damaged edges since it does take off quite a bit of material, if your edge is just lightly chipped then there's no point in removing them, you should only remove the chips that can be easily spotted by eye, micro chips are harmless to a blade and are also very common if you use an ax regularly.
>>
File: roncola.jpg (19KB, 412x559px) Image search: [Google]
roncola.jpg
19KB, 412x559px
>>970478
im that anon, thx pham
was high on the trip and started restoring the blade of a pic related that was used by granpa, completly rusted. only have cheap tools so after an hour or so of hand sand paper there were still rust holes, so i just left them there since to be removed i should basically eat away half the blade, also they kinda leave on it the "old" fashion
should i kms for this? looks good anyway and cuts much better now
>>
>>970658
leave it be, what do you care about the pitting? the important thing is that it has a good edge

post pics of yours for our enjoyment pls
>>
File: 1.jpg (5MB, 5152x2896px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
5MB, 5152x2896px
>>970685
plz no bully
would like to redo the handle but i have zero experience, tutorial all look beyond my skill and means
1/4
>>
File: 2.jpg (5MB, 5152x2896px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
5MB, 5152x2896px
>>970687
2/4
>>
File: 3.jpg (4MB, 5152x2896px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
4MB, 5152x2896px
>>970689
3/4
>>
File: 4.jpg (4MB, 5152x2896px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
4MB, 5152x2896px
>>970690
4/4
any tip is well accepted
write it in a form comprehensible to a 3yo kid
>>
>>970687
>>970689
>>970690
>>970691
No reason to remove the pitting, just make sure to protect the blade from future rusting. Make sure the blade is sharp. As far as the handle is concerned, it's actually not that hard to do, get a piece of wood and make the holes in the handle with a drill, for attaching it i heard good things about epoxy, you could also pin the handle from the sides for extra security.
>>
>>970721
next week i will try it on an abandoned knife, looks basically eaten inside out from rust, this i will need more work probably, cant afford to leave it in that case
>>
>>970721
for the handle i wanted to scratch that paper away and put an adesive leather tape but apparently doesnt exist, or at least i cant find any
>>
File: DSCN00782.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00782.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>970755
don't use leather, do a wooden handle

a very easy way to do it: take a dry wooden branch of some hard wood like beech, ash or hornbeam and drill a hole through the center, it doesn't have to go all the way
then you heat the tang of the billhook with a blowtorch and push it into the hole, it will burn its way through the wood and will adhere perfectly
to secure the handle peen the tang on the end with a washer, then shape the handle as you wish
on mine the washer is also a hook so I can hang it in the woods and it doesn't slip out from the hand, tho it can hurt your little finger if it gets suddenly pulled away
>>
>>970773
the pics dont show it but there is a piece of metal on the back of the handle that is stuck there so i cant do that, will have to get 2 pieces and glue them together
any things i totally shouldnt overlook while trying this out?
>>
>>970810
why don't you do a pic of the bottom of the handle?
>>
>>970812
Coz not at home now, will upload some tomorrow
>>
>>957805
I don't think those are axes anon.
>>
>>966434
Just wanted to give your post credit. Brilliant and easy solutin
>>
>>961410
TODAY THE GODS WILL DECIDE YOUR FATE
>>
>>961410
Who makes this one? I wanna say it's a Gränsfors but i'm not sure.
>>
>>957467
Good hatchets/hawks for the price but you're going to have to put in work to make it usable.
>>
File: wetterlings.jpg (398KB, 1600x1266px) Image search: [Google]
wetterlings.jpg
398KB, 1600x1266px
Does anybody have info on Wetterlings right now?
I was browsing axes at Bushcraft Canada's website and saw a goodbye to Wetterlings saying that they were phasing out the brand in the next six months. Is this just the store not stocking them anymore or is Wetterlings dying?

http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=2379
>>
>>974073
http://www.wetterlings.com/information-about-wetterlings/
Same little blog post on Gransfors' website since they are the company that just bought them.
>>
>>974116
Ah, this make me feel better. It just seemed so sad that a company over 100 years old could just die like that.
>>
Krmelj axes = best axes
>>
>>975649
I hope no one unironically uses these
>>
>>975649
who the fuck is krmelj
>>
>>975705
looks fun to use tho
maybe not too pratical
>>
>>975773
i think it's for throwing
>>
>>975705
>>976106
It's a (competition) throwing axe, not meant for chopping.
>>975737
Kovačija Krmelj is a smithy here in Slovenia, fairly well known too. They've been operating since 1870, 10 years before Wetterlings was established.
>>
>>976162
>Kovačija Krmelj
why don't we have those in serbia ç_ç
>>
>>976162
arent throwing axes supposed to be small? how can you even throw that with one hand
>>
>>976169
Not double bits, those you throw overhead with two hands on the handle.
>>976163
No clue, we have plenty of smithy's in Slovenia, Jeklo Ruše, Krmelj, Bizovičar etc
>>
>>957682
i have a fiskar axe i got for 20 bucks at a sale.
honestly i thought it would break first time i hit it so i could weld a metal handle onto it and its been through more shit and a years worth of chopping im really fucking impressed with it. ive hit it plenty on limbs and logs and its still fine. they have a warrenty to were u send them a pic and they send you a new one.
>>
>>976336
I had a Fiskars splitting axe. Returned it and went back to a regular splitting maul. I'm usually an advocate of velocity over weight, but it couldn't do the job on unseasoned redoak.
>>
>>976336
>metal handle
>on any striking tool
It's as if you hate your hands.
>>
>>976842
anon you're compeltely ovary-acting
>>
File: IMG_20170325_142539.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_142539.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Won axe in pic. at a ice fishing competition today. The price-tag for this axe is around 20€, and it looks decent enough for an cheap axe. Any pointers or thoughts about this thing?
>>
>>976860
first i would like to say congratulations on your success at the ice fishing competition. second, the ax/hatchet looks just fine. never heard of Tombo, but it looks just like a Fiskars. give it a go on some limbs or logs and i'm sure it's all you need. might have to sharpen it so don't judge if it doesn't cut deep as-is.
>>
>>976869
Tomber*
>>
>>976845
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger
I know right, totally a genius idea to use metal handles on tools that transfer lots of shock.
>>
File: IMG_0333.gif (7KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0333.gif
7KB, 128x128px
Rate my Axe
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (214KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
214KB, 1280x720px
>>976860
it's a fucking primitive design
>>
>>976860
It's probably a decent hatchet, if anything you can still sell it for $15 or something.
>>
File: 20889993356_a01c2f8266_b.jpg (255KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
20889993356_a01c2f8266_b.jpg
255KB, 1024x683px
S E X Y
E
X
Y
>>
I was thinking of getting this kit, is it any good? Fiskars X5 hatchet, K40 knife and a foldable saw. For 14+ days om the move
>>
File: 9224006696990.jpg (49KB, 600x296px) Image search: [Google]
9224006696990.jpg
49KB, 600x296px
Forgot pic related
>>
>>957651
do you run that up and down the edge? or do u use it like sharpening a knife?
>>
File: NETzoC.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
NETzoC.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>978264
you do a swirling motion up and down the bevel
>>
>>977976
>>977978
It's alright, the X5 is kinda small for processing much more than kindling and the steel on it is very soft.
>>
>>978363
That's quite alright, there's not much more than kindling where I am going
>>
>>979051
Well pack a small bow saw or a folding buck saw along with the hatchet and you'll be right as rain.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>978289
it doesn't matter as long as you keep the bevel angle correct. Personally I find it easier to 'scrub' with the stone rather than do circular motions.

Only got a pic of my newest axe,, I've posted it before.

It's great for fire prep, limbing, and slicing cuts, I use it much like a knife a lot of the time. But at 1/2lb it's not got much heft.

Would like to try a 1lb hatchet head on a long handle if anyone has any recommendations?
Thread posts: 279
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.