[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you cope with loneliness innawoods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 18

File: image.jpg (509KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
509KB, 1600x1200px
How do you cope with loneliness innawoods
>>
Talk to myself and/or animals. Really though, I head out to get away from people, so loneliness isn't really part of the equation. I suppose it could be different if one was on fire watch or something though.
>>
>>957087
I'll listen to music or audiobooks. Every now and again, I'll download TedTalks or some political speakers speech.

If that's not your cup of tea, just find someone to go with.
>>
>>957087
I go /out/ with friends.

>REEEEE You're doing it WRONG!

I go /out/ alone, too. Both are enjoyable for different reasons.
>>
>>957097
came here to post this
>>
>>957087
I'm actually perfectly fine being isolated from other people, though I do talk to my self and the animals that I see.
>>
Jack off and cry
>>
I don't get lonely because I know its only temporary and if I really wanted to I could leave at any time
>>
>>957091
>>957093
>>957186
All of these for me. I already gravitate toward isolation when I'm not out. When I'm hiking or camping, I relax to some books, music, podcasts or my harmonica. I've recently begun writing and illustrating when out. It's actually really serene.

https://youtu.be/OrJsgdjOqGY

Listening to this as the day winds down is like meditation to me.
>>
>>957087
By not being a gigantic quivering puss.
>>
>>957222
Trips of truth
op is a baby
>>
>>957087
I don't have any friends anyway so it's not much different to normal. How do you deal with loneliness in society?
>>
Bring my girlfriend and fuck her while watching beautiful mountain scenery.
>>
>>957087
I don't cope; I go inawoods to be alone. Never get married, friend
>>
>>957750
Never get married to someone you hate*
>>
i cope with loneliness by going innawoods
>>
>>957087
RP as Freeman's mind in IRL.
>>
>>957087
Dont have that problem. Fuck sakes i go onto the woods to get away from society and people.
Besides, when im in the woods i turn into a middle earthian wood elf and talk to the trees
>>
I take my dog. Really only companionship I need.
>>
File: anon picks flowers.png (56KB, 549x316px) Image search: [Google]
anon picks flowers.png
56KB, 549x316px
>>957087

Singing, books, or pick flowers for your imaginary girlfriend
>>
File: 41023.jpg (225KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
41023.jpg
225KB, 400x400px
sleep everywhere
>>
>>957087
I get a lot of mileage out of crying.

I cry myself to sleep almost every night innawoods after sitting by a fire wishing I had friends.
>>
>>957813
updoot
>>
File: 1323492282080.jpg (153KB, 640x963px) Image search: [Google]
1323492282080.jpg
153KB, 640x963px
>>957087
The same way I have my whole life. Just do things you find to be fulfilling.
>>
why would you feel lonely? Either you're going out alone to escape company, or you're out in a group
>>
I wanna go camping for a week or so this spring, I was gonna go with my brother but he just got a new job and probably can't take much time off.
Will my co-workers think I'm a loser if I tell them I'm going alone? Or should I just lie? Thinking of somewhere in the Pacific Northwest since I haven't been there yet.
>>
File: 1364780554256.jpg (132KB, 908x633px) Image search: [Google]
1364780554256.jpg
132KB, 908x633px
>>957870
Depends upon your daily personality. If you are a normal guy and say I'm going hiking solo, you will seem adventurous and fun. If you are the office IT weirdo...well anything you do will be considered weird.
>>
>>957870
In my experience most people find it odd when I tell them I'm going solo.
>>
>>957087
The same way I deal with it innacity
>DRUGS
>>
>>957870
I don't know why you wouldn't lie if you care that much. It's not like they have any way to verify.
>>
alcohol.
bonfires.
>>
I go camping to be alone.
What I want to know is how you guys deal with the loneliness of being surrounded by people every day without a single person you can really talk to.
>>
>>957985
what stops you from talking to the people who surround you?
>>
>>957087
The same way I deal with loneliness outawoods.
By enjoying what I do.
>>
Cope? That's the whole point.
>>
File: 1487970798567.jpg (126KB, 604x516px) Image search: [Google]
1487970798567.jpg
126KB, 604x516px
The same way I do in regular life
>>
>>957087
Talk to the hookers body
>>
File: 970.png (2MB, 680x767px) Image search: [Google]
970.png
2MB, 680x767px
>>957222
/thread
>>
>>957097
Absolutely patrician.
>>
I bring my Teddy Bear
>>
I would sing a little on my hikes and bring harmonicas. Marching songs, that sort of thing
>>
>>958071
> Hey, its all free now.
> It's a going off sale!
>>
I sing or talk to my dog if he's with me. Or I imagine a conversation with my non-existant gf in my head.
>>
I go innawoods to get away from people. I don't need deal with lonliness, I seek it.
>>
>>958035
>>
>>957897
I had this happen. One older, married woman in my office kept pestering me about why I wanted to hike alone. In her mind she couldn't fathom doing anything alone, but she's the sort who follows her husband around and participates in whatever he's into. I bet the poor fucker would go hiking without her if he could.
>>
>>957087
thats why i hike
>>
>>957838
It's alright anon; lots of folks are alone. just gives us more time to reflect and improve ourselves.
>>
>>957985
That's kinda deep for an image board.
>>
>>957087
You can masturbate many times in one day.
>>
>>958513
poor kot
>>
>>957087
Cope? It's literally the reason I go /out/.
>>
>>957870
It's your fucking trip not theirs. Personally I wouldn't tell them shit to begin with.
>>
>>957870
It depends, but how far are you willing to go modify your behavior and give up on your dreams to appease the people around you?
>>
usually i just daydream or talk to myself , i used to write poetry when i was /out/ i have moved to university now and im in way more of a city than im used to, im used to 2 minute from my house and sprawling fields. not much chance to go innawoods now it's not so nice.
>>
>>957087
I usually bring my portable pussy aka gf.
Sometimes she talks too much bit can also be used as radiator during cold nights.
>>
>>957985

I know this feel brother. I just realized the other day that its been around a year since I had a proper conversation with another person.

Its better to pack your shit and head innawoods so at least you can be lonely by yourself.
>>
>>957087
The same way I cope with loneliness in my house. Keep myself busy.
>>
>>957087
Talking to myself and with an unhealthy dose of paranoia.
>>
I was on a bicycle tour for a year.
When I go innawoods over the weekend I don't feel the loneliness. I either feel the loneliness at the start of a big adventure or I feel it creeping up on me slowly when I start to get bored with my own company.

When I was on my bicycle tour mostly camping a mixture of campsites and wild it really depended on how many interactions I had with people. I stayed in Madrid for two months and after that I was good until I was into Morocco. With the language barrier and new culture I felt lonely then but luckily I found a person to cycle with.

What I find is that even if you don't identify it as loneliness when you're living a normal life but are not happy being lonely could well be a factor. Just you're too busy to realise and understand that you're lonely. The woods.. travel it takes away the stress of life and allows for reflection. The first big lesson I learnt about myself when I was travelling alone and innawoods Is that I don't like being alone. I love people I always have. I just need time to myself sometimes. You appreciate family more. I was phoning my family every sunday. Now that I'm settled with a lot of friends It always slips my mind.

Anyway you deal with it by keeping yourself busy, new experiences and if you're too lonely don't be a fool and go and find some company.
>>
File: damaged wojak.png (11KB, 601x447px) Image search: [Google]
damaged wojak.png
11KB, 601x447px
>>957087
How do you cope with loneliness all the time
>>
>>957087
>loneliness

That's why I go /out/
>>
>>959936
Humans are social animals. This is generally how it works.

I'm very introverted and I find myself enjoying the conversations I have on multi-month tours a lot. It helps that most of them involve a lot of 'Wow, that's amazing. You're so cool!' and similar flattery, but still.

I will say that traveling with a companion involves sacrifices. I spent around a month riding with strangers near the start of my touring career. The reason I slowed down to ride with them was that the leg of the trip wasn't terribly pleasant. Since then, I've designed my trips around more scenic, more isolated routes and generally enjoyed myself more with less human contact.
>>
>>957087
Is it loneliness or solitude that yo u don't like? I find that when im /out/ it's much harder to be lonely than in a crowded street surrounded by people you can't connect with...
>>
>>957879
So much this.
>>
>>957087
you get lonely in the woods?
>>
>>957087
Bring a dog
>>
File: IMG_0955.png (248KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0955.png
248KB, 512x384px
>>957200
Pfft. I can do that at home
>>
by felling trees
<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/iEr12WZ79nPwY" width="480" height="853" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/iEr12WZ79nPwY">via GIPHY</a></p>
>>
>>957087
i bring my dogs with me. nothing better than playing and cuddling with the pack.
>>
>>957087
i usually bring dogs from my local animal shelter with me. they really enjoy the /out/time and i enjoy the company
>>
>>961647
>not jerking off onto the soil at the base of a tree and knowing that your spunk is nourishing the great outdoors
Are you even /out/?
>>
File: 1346868277299.jpg (23KB, 475x361px) Image search: [Google]
1346868277299.jpg
23KB, 475x361px
>>961656
>>
>>957087
I only go innawoods when I want to be alone
>>
>>960472
This question is important.

Personally I don't get lonely innawoods but I do feel the creep of solitude as night sets in.

There's nothing in the world like morning in the wilderness so it's at least always worth it.
>>
>>961659
Have to respect that
>>
>>957087

I don't need to cope. I go out to be alone, it'd defeat the purpose if I was lonely when I did it.
>>
>>957087
you dont cope, you enjoy it
>>
>>962510
If you're lonely while alone, you are in bad company. ~Jean-Paul Sartre
>>
>>958035
came here to post this lmao
>>
>>957087
>How do you cope with loneliness
Like a boss.

>>957870
>somewhere in the Pacific Northwest
If you're worried about going alone, I'm down to meet up. Could be a good opportunity to compare methods and gear with someone besides my normal group.

>>957985
>how you guys deal with the loneliness of being surrounded by people every day without a single person you can really talk to.
This is why I 4chan. Despite the dickery and bullshit common here, I like you guys (mostly /out/) more than I like the people that I interact with in person.

>>960467
>(whole post)
Yup. That's got to be my favorite thing about hitchhiking. People have a genuine interest in how I live my life, simply because I'm willing to take risks that they don't feel comfortable taking themselves; it allows them to momentarily live vicariously through me.
>>
Loneliness is for unenlightened plebs
"Make friends with yourself and you'll never be alone"
~Buddha
>>
Reinhold Messner talks about this problem a lot, he got quite afraid while going solo up large faces or peaks. So he went on a 4 month adventure (can't remember where) completely alone and soon he conquered that fear.

In other words, you cope with loneliness by coping with loneliness.
>>
File: maximum comf.jpg (35KB, 400x570px) Image search: [Google]
maximum comf.jpg
35KB, 400x570px
>>964891
>>963438
wholesome advice
>>
How do you cope with being around people every day?
>>
>>957087
By being detrimentally introvert and the occasional shrooms if I feel like having a chat with the trees.
>>
I normally find myself going innawoods to cope with my loneliness. When my mom got cancer and when my wife left I hiked more but not so much for fun, but I guess I tried to get over my mental mountains by getting over physical ones.
>>
File: 1472678250288.jpg (46KB, 437x501px) Image search: [Google]
1472678250288.jpg
46KB, 437x501px
>>968171
H-how's your mom doing, anon?
>>
>>957087
I go inna woods to cope with the loneliness of civilization.
>>
>>957087
I went by myself this weekend. I started a fire when I setup camp and played an audiobook. All I needed
>>
>>957087
Take a doggo
>>
>>968319
Shes a fighter, staying strong.
>>
>>957087
fuck tinder bitches. what i did on my long backpacking trip
>>
You get a dog
>>
I just read and listen to music. Usually by day 3/4/5 I'm so lonely I take the first bit of bad weather as an excuse to leave. I dearly want to take a multi-week trip this spring/summer. how to cope?
does using couchsurfing or tinder or something to meet people as you pass through towns along the way actually work or is it far too much effort? I wouldn't be able to plan where I'd be in advance and I prefer not to plan more than a rough route, so I don't want to spend a couple of weeks building contacts before I go, I like winging it.

does anyone here pick up friends on wilderness trails and how? britbong here, 3/4 of the trips I've been on I haven't even seen anyone else with a pack.
>>
>>957087

By stalking other lonely hikers.
>>
>>957200
nigga i do that indoors anyway
>>
>>957771
this
>>
>>957790
this is the smartest fucking thing i have ever heard
>>
>>969011
>day 3

Start to like yourself, enjoy your hobbies and build up some self respect. Your existence does not exclusively stem from your interactions with other people.
>>
I don't really get lonely innawoods. There's so much to do and look at that I don't need the company of people, and one of my favorite things about being in the woods is the freedom of being away from other people. Sometimes I do think it'd be nice to explore with a buddy or partner though.
>>
File: Smol gator.jpg (22KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Smol gator.jpg
22KB, 720x540px
>>968473
I lost my mother to cancer and my father to infection, ik how you feel anon. Im glad shes fighting. Keep your head up.
>>
>>957087
Cope?
It's the best fuckin part.
>>
File: IMG_0984.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0984.png
230KB, 640x360px
>people
>>
>>957091
Spent about 10 minutes talking to a hare on a windy hillside yesterday, no fucks given.
>>
I embrace it. Being completely alone outside can be pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>957213
This album in general. Went out to Big Bend for the first time last year in April and listened to this as the sun set behind the Chisos. One of the few moments where everything seemed perfect in the world.
>>
By coming to terms with why I want to be away, then coming back to society and working on myself so I can belong.
>>
>>957087
>>957087
I love being alone.

IDK what you losers are whining about.

Guess you aren't truly /out/ till you begin to forget speech patterns innawoods.
>>
>>957087
>He feels loneliness
Fag.
>>
File: dug.jpg (104KB, 333x362px) Image search: [Google]
dug.jpg
104KB, 333x362px
Get a doggo to train into a mobile water station that you can play with.
>>
>>970899
>forget speech patterns
Now you've got me curious. Any immediate examples?
>>
>>971277
>Hey anon!
>....
>anon!
>... oi!
>*Turns head*

After about a week your name starts to have a less identifying effect on yourself. You literally start to disassociate it with yourself.

Also just after a month for me, I was very direct in everything I had to say. Literally not too much, nor too little. I sounded like a real alpha. No brain fog. Mind was super clear on what I wanted. Then the autism/spaghetti talk comes back eventually once you return.
>>
>>957087
>How do you cope with loneliness innawoods
I go online.
>>
>>957097
Have you ever been /out/ with someone who isn't a total retard, it's great. Every year my friends and I get a cabin in Upstate New York and fish and hike. Being miles from literally anyone else while you enjoy a couple of beers and rip some lips with your buds is the best.
>>
>>973019
Where upstate? Allegheny? ADKs? Catskills?
>>
>>973121
ADKs, it's really beautiful up there, I'm a southern boy and those northern forests are exactly what I pictured the great out doors to be as a kid.
>>
>>973121
>catskills
>upstate
Downstater detected
>>
File: 54277838934.jpg (83KB, 940x626px) Image search: [Google]
54277838934.jpg
83KB, 940x626px
>>957870
>asking 4chan
>>
>>969866
there's a reason isolation is used as a punishment. it doesn't mean I hate myself just because I don't like literally not saying a word to another person for days on end
>>
>>969866
I do enjoy my other hobbies, but I can't do them when I'm hiking. consuming media is not a hobby, sorry
>>
>>957790
I've never connected to another human being more.
>>
>>975234
That's true, but in solitary confinement you don't have everything /out/ - all the animals and plants and whatever. Plus you're stuck in a cell, whereas outside you're not
>>
I feel less lonely camped in the Selkirks with my dog than I do in a group of people. Its such a relief. Alone with my thoughts and a warm pupper to pet.

I do find I miss my wife at night but thats about it. I think even that will go away after long enough of taking trips because I dont miss her when Im staying two nights at work.

Like anon earlier in the thread said, being /out/ lets me escape from the loneliness of a society where Ive never been able to belong, and from the exhausting effort of maintaining the social facade that I have to have for work.

Sure there is a little feeling of isolation, but I think how you feel comes down to how you process it, ie a feeling of being alone and lonely vs realizing it as a feeling of having escaped, and being freed of a burden. For a lot of us, we are no more alone away from humans than we are when trapped amongst them...but instead, we are set free from the constant reminder.
>>
I don't feel lonely innawoods, quite the opposite actually. There's tons of birds and critters around to frolic around with.

If the woods are strangely quiet I get paranoid from reading too many skinwalker stories. Then I tend to go full retard and book ass until that passes.
>>
>>977274
I like to find ants or bugs to watch...small life. Its really interesting to watch their undisturbed habits and think about them living through a winter and reemerging in spring.
>>
>>977282
I've got some spiders and flies I allow to exists with me, cause I don't want to kill them. And lizards all think my house is a great idea when it gets cold. And I have to put them out our I find little lizard exoskeleton/corpses laying around.
>>
>>977307
maybe next winter I stick them in cheap fishing tank till spring. tehe
>>
What about when you meet other people while out in the woods?

I'd imagine there'd be mutual levels of distrust.
>>
>>977476
My interactions have all been those of mutual but respectful mistrust, yes.
>>
>>977476
I went backpacking midweek last summer (best time, no normies) and met two young seasonal USFS girls hiking out. Mutual surprise, though Id seen their truck at the trailhead.

There was kind of a wariness but it was cordial. It helps I have a mostly-friendly super cute dog. First impressions are even more highly valued the further out you are, I would wager. On a short, near town trail theres usually friendly hellos or just ignoring each other, but in the back country you are making keen appraisals because the cost of being wrong is higher. Plus I think most out there are trying to have some sort of isolation.

On the other hand, being in a pair or group, especially if youre out with your significant other, can make you less threatening. When I went to the Sawtooths with my wife we saw way more people than we wanted or expected to but had friendly interactions with all of them.

Even the group of kids looking for a party spot asked us where we thought would be the best place to set up so they didnt bother everyone else at night and we were able to point them a ways up trail in to a smaller canyon. Surprisingly respectful even if I think doing that shit /out/ is dumb.
>>
>>957879
So like flirting if you're normal it'll be considered fine but if you look like a school shooter and have the social skills of an autist it'll be worrying
>>
>>958024
/thread
>>
i don't get lonely.
>>
>>957749
great post redditor

upvoted
>>
File: 0000501672.jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
0000501672.jpg
52KB, 400x400px
>>968171
>deep
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.