[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Disntance Walking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: la-0424-pin02.jpg (120KB, 970x615px) Image search: [Google]
la-0424-pin02.jpg
120KB, 970x615px
What's the trick with long distance walking?
After about 15 miles my dogs are barking and I can't go on.
I have proper footwear, cushioned inserts and padded socks... but they still ache like a hell of a thing.

Is it just conditioning?
>>
>>956729

>2017
>you still haven't upgraded
>>
>>956729
Stop being such a softcock, 15 miles isn't that far.
>>
>>956751

Why would I want to trade foot pain for knee pain?
>>
>>956729
>padded inserts

Do your arches hurt? You might need to switch to supportive inserts instead of soft inserts.
>>
>>956755

It's the balls in the front of my foot. Heel and arch feel fine.
>>
>>956729
check your stance, lighten your load, treat your blisters, keep walkin
>>
Stop slamming your heel into the dirt

Also

You get better at this by walking further and further
>>
>>956776
>Stop slamming your heel into the dirt
I hope you're not the cunt from /fit/ that posts "stop heel striking" in every running thread as though he's god's gift to all runners
>>
>>956754

Keep cutting and replacing.
>>
>>956729

I'd say mental.

Walking to a destination is easier than walking randomly.

Pick a site and aim for that.
>>
It's conditioning. Read any biography from the AT, and hikers often start at sub 10 miles for the first few weeks, and can go as far as over 30 on their best days.

Tons can affect your pain level, including genetics/age/weight/and load.

Like with most everything in life. The more you do it, the better you'll get at it.
>>
You just gotta get used to it. Good quality shoes and insoles (not Dr Schols) can help.
>>
Its mainly mental, pick a destination and don't stop till you're there. After the first time it gets easier because you know you can do it. Putting yourself into a rhythm can also help, just stare at your feet. I use these tips and i walked 40km the day before yesterday.
>>
>>956753
This
>>
>>956729
shoes have a big part, dont be discouraged by the rest of the posters. you can go extremely far distances in well fitting shoes, and extremely short ones in poorly fitted ones, before developing blisters. this i know from exp
>>
>>956729
>After about 15 miles my dogs are barking and I can't go on.
https://youtu.be/T5gyi_fHL_c
>>
Play this and sing along as you march, helps the miles fly by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w0mMBCCWiY
>>
>>956729
In my own experience it's mostly a problem of conditioning. I used to work a job where I had to be on my feet on a concrete floor for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. A couple of days into it and I was leaning and sitting as much as I could. I had to soak the soreness out of my feet each night. But, after a while I got used to it, and now it isn't a problem. Train yourself in your off-time by taking long walks, maybe carry a weighted pack, and as others have said, just to persevere. You aren't doing any sort of permanent damage so push through the pain
>>
>>958530
you are a human being, our ancestors KILLED LARGER, BIGGER, MORE FANGED/CLAWED/NOSED/VENOMED creatures via the power of constant stalking/chasing/ and walking them ALL INTO THE GROUND.

Just have plenty of water walk a couple hours, stop and rest for a 15-20 minutes, repeat. Sleep. Do it again. After 3 days. Rest for a day or two and eat plenty of protein. Repeat. Your thighs and calves, and other body parts will rapidly grow/shrink/thicken/ and transform in the following walking weeks/months.
>>
>>956729
Are you fat or never done sports in your youth? I ask this because when only walking people should be able to do it for many more miles than that, anon.

I'm considerably on the mid-low tier of my physical shape compared to when I was younger, and while I can't run for more than 20min straight (trying to get back into shape, hopefully doing at least 10km/h) I can walk for 40km a day while carrying my backpack without major problems. I have done 250km hikes for week long time without prior training.

Just drink liquids and feed yourself properly.
>>
>>958530
I agree it's definitely conditioning and some part footwear. Several times a year I'll go and do 15-20 hikes miles all day long through mountainous terrain for a week or so without issue.

Went down to Boston in the Fall and walked maybe 10~ miles around the city and my feet were killing me and I just felt exhausted.
>>
>>956729
Stop taking your dogs with
>>
Walking in nature VS on pavement is entirely different, too. The repetitious motion and hard impact of asphalt is a real killer that I didn't experience walking in the mountains.
I've mostly walked along roads and for me, I start feeling it after about 12 miles. At around 15 miles I felt every rock and contour of the ground through the thick rubber sole and at 20 miles I just want it to end. That's with a 10-15 kilo backpack.

What are you walking on?
>>956756
I guess it's hard impact rather than wear? Double thin socks are good against wear though.

Large part is conditioning but don't go wrecking yourself.
>>
>>956729
Try to reduce whatever weight you're carrying, be it gear or fat on your body.

I just went trail running for the first time in three weeks, and have been neglectful of training/not eating right prior to that. My feet hurt waay more than they used to in November when I was 15lbs lighter (fucking holidays man).

A little goes a long way tho anon. Don't get discouraged, just set yourself goals (I wanna hike 20 miles, or 30 miles in two days) and just try to keep that in mind when you're going about your day-to-day.

Reading military history and about the crazy forced marches those fuckers would pull off and then fight battles is also a good way of putting shit in perspective.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.