[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides climbing, why I need a Carabiner in my backpack?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (1MB, 1600x1094px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1600x1094px
Besides climbing, why I need a Carabiner in my backpack?
>>
>>956643
Your fucking keyring don't lost /out/, dumbass.

How will you be able to drive back to your two room shithole apt and thendrive to the trendy downtown microbrew?
>>
>>956643
You don't but it looks cool and makes normies think you're an hardcore /out/ist.
>>
>>956643
you mostly won't need a climbing rated Carabiner.

But other clips just give you the ability to clip stuff together, how is this a question?
>>
File: out Triggering Device.jpg (37KB, 287x598px) Image search: [Google]
out Triggering Device.jpg
37KB, 287x598px
>>956643
>>
>>956659
This
>>
>>956643
There's really no need for real, heavy duty carabiners in an overnight backpack load unless you are climbing or otherwise putting your full weight into a rope. Maybe hammockers use them, I'm not sure. Obviously there are all kinds of miscellaneous uses people find for them to hang stupid shit off their backpacks, but they are absolutely not needed.

That said, mini carabiners, if you can find good ones that are both strong and lightweight, can be a useful way to quick-detach your extra, high winds only, guy lines from your tent. They don't really need to be rated for too much weight, since your tent fabric will rip before most metal mini carabiners will bend, so even the mini ones will work fine. I learned about this when I tried using a poncho-tarp, where you simply need a way to get your guy lines on and off quickly.
>>
>>956794
Metolius makes climbing rated mini biners
>>
File: IMG_20151030_080448908.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151030_080448908.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>in my backpack
not on

>have no string
>braid hair together
>magical cord of human hair
>use inability to tie a knot
>create loop
>stare longingly into the distance
>dream of a carabiner
I hate tying knots
>>
>>956643
Strictly speaking, you don't.

But a few non-climbing biners can be handy to have for impromptu rigging.
>>
>>956643
I use a set for my hammock suspension. Just makes things easier but I could achieve the same thing with a marlin spike hitch
>>
>>956655
Broken english double dubs of truth
>>
>>956996
but I use nano 23s, they're, surprise, 23g each.
>>
>>956643
I use one to hang my pack on a tree
>>
>>956643
I have one so i can clip my webbing that i use to drag deer and stuff out of the wood. Make a webbing harness and clip it to my waist and walk out
>>
>>956831
>>dream of a carabiner
>I hate tying knots

You still need to tie a knot to get your rope onto the carabiner.
>>
I use one to hang my bear bag.
>>
>>957111
sewn eyelet lives matter you xenophobic bigot
>>
>>956659
Climbers ARE normalfags.
>>
>>957311
>sewn eyelet
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>956643
carabiner my gloves to my rucksack hip belt, when I need to take 'em off.
>>
>>956643
I have a screwgate carabiner on the outside of my pack that I can thread all of my zipper loops through for security purposes. That's super useful.
>>
File: IMG_201.jpg (261KB, 669x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201.jpg
261KB, 669x503px
>>957474
I know, senpai.
>>
>>957474
I disregard social events to sit in the bushes and touch rocks. Thanks for validating my degeneracy.
>>
>>956643

Hangin stuff

They do occasionally come in handy. And the small aluminum ones weigh next to nothing.
>>
>>956655
STFU dude. At least he was one with nature for an afternoon.
>>
>>957164
^This annon knows. What I do is called the PCT method to hang a bear bag. There are videos.
>>
>>956643
i gave one to an autistic kid and he entertained himself for hours by clipping it onto stuff
>>
>>957474

Except for trad guys. They're hardcore autistic.
>>
File: 20170305_103609.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170305_103609.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>959672
If you carry a large enough carabiner, in an emergency can be used like brass knuckles.
>>
>>962523
Stupid idea. No palm swell, brass knuckles are very effective if used properly. The force needs to be absorbed into your palm, karabiners are too small and it will shatter your bones
>>
Hammock
>>
>>962523
Looks like a great way to break your fingers.
>>
>>962523
steel carabiners are best for this, also, this circumvents brass knuckle legislation, very popular with bums
>>
>>956643
Small ones have obvious uses, but i really like having a locking climbing beaner on my big dogs leash. Ive used it as brass knuckles as well
>>
>>956643
Dmm xsre is a 4kn rated way tiny ultra light biner.
It weighs less than my wedding ring. I keep one on my belt loop for all sorts of miscellaneous stuff.
>>
>>962523
honestly i don't see myself having a fist fight against someone in the outdoor unless you start meeting forest thugs nowaday.
even more unlikely someone will start a fight against you with just his fists
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.