[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was strongly coerced into doing a Machu Picchu trek and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (1MB, 1000x646px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1000x646px
So I was strongly coerced into doing a Machu Picchu trek and I've never trekked before.

I have 0 gear. No boots, no bags, nothing.

Do you folks have any tips to what gear I need and for example which brands to go for?
>>
>>956453
Budget?
>>
>>956456
No budget really. I plan to get into this shit, so I want to buy once, if possible.
>>
>>956453
>Machu Picchu
>visited by over 1.2 million people a year
>Inca trail is limited to 500 trekkers a day (300 of which are earmarked for porters and guides)
Why don't you use google to ask instead of starting a thread?
https://www.machupicchutrek.net/inca-trail-packing-list-machu-picchu/
>>
>>956476
If I wanted Google's advice, I could have already gotten it. I want /out/'s advice.
>>
You're probably going to have porters doing most of the work.

If that's the case, all you really need is a 30-40 liter pack to carry your stuff, some waterproof trail runners or light hiking boots and some good rain gear.
>>
>>956477
My advice to you is not to go on this trip. You clearly don't want to go, you're not excited about it all. You're going to be miserable and you're going to ruin your companions journey.
>>
>>956497
I'm excited as fuck. The strongly coerced thing was just banter.
>>
>>956488
this desu
>>
>>956477
We don't want idiots here asking easy to answer questions
>>
>>956476
>hurr jus use google!

What if I want anecdotes from people who've actually been on the trip before instead of tour guides shilling at me?

>W-w-well just use forums!

Gee, it's almost like there was another interactive community you could go to for experiences and personal stories. A certain section on a certain anonymous imageboard, I dunno man.
>>
>>956453
Is there an REI near you?
>>
>>956453
>strongly coerced into doing a Machu Picchu trek

mfw
>>
>>956453
>doing a Machu Picchu trek
good luck, you need a license to do the Inca trail and another license to do Huayna Picchu.

I did Huayna Picchu, it was totally worth it.
>>
>>956571
>Huayna Picchu
im not kidding about this. you need to apply like 6 months in advance or something and you need to update your Will. people die all the time on it but it's a hell of a climb. only 200 people get to climb it a day so it's like having half the place to yourself. its awesome
>>
File: Huayna-Picchu-stairs.jpg (224KB, 552x736px) Image search: [Google]
Huayna-Picchu-stairs.jpg
224KB, 552x736px
>>956575
forgot pic
>>
>>956575
Die from falling or heart attacks?
>>
>>956453
Buy all posible alpaca wool garments, coca leaves and short, fat, industrial diet whores/pack animals you can!

You are the new Guns, Germs and Steel Pizaro conquer of the Millennium!
>>
>>956577
oh fuck no, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope
>>
OP here, this is the program:

>2. day: Travel from Lima and arrival Cuzco
>3. day: Cuzco - sightseeing
>4. day: Cuzco (3.350m) - Cachora (2.850m) - Capuliyoc (2.941m) - Chiquisca (1.930m)
>5. day: Chiquisca (1.930m) - Playa Rosalina (1.550m) - Marampata (2.850m) - Choquekiraw camp (3.150m)
>6. day: Choquekiraw camp (3.150m) - Choquequiraw ruins (3.270m) - Pinchinoyoc (2.450m)
>7. day: Pinchinoyoc (2.450m) - Rio Blanco (1.990m) - Maizal (3.000m)
>8. day: Maizal (3000m) - San Juan pass (4200m) - Yanama (3530m)
>9. day: Yanama (3.530) - Yanama pass (4.600m) - Totora (3.200m)
>10. day: Totora (3.200m) - La Playa (2.100m) - Santa Terresa (1.830m)
>11. day: Santa Terresa (1.830m) - Hydro Electrica (1.900m) - Aguas Calientes (2.050)
>12. day: Aguas Calientes (2.050m) - Machu Picchu ruins (2.430m) - Wayna Picchu - Aquas Calientes - Cuzco (3.350m)
>13. day: Travel from Cuzco
>>
>>956476
I've done this hike. There are 3 trails. One is four day one two day and a three day hike.
Only the two day hike is limited to 500 people . But op start doing stair training right now
>>
>>956453
How /fit are you?
>>
>>956453
I did this a few years back. Are you going with a guide service or are you doing this with just you and your buds?

If going with a guide service they will most likely take car of everything for you. Just bring a good jacket, hiking boots, and water + food if needed. I went this way and we literally had horses to store our spare gear and the porters cooked for us every night. We weren't expecting how much the dollar went lol.

On your own you will need to reserve the passes to hike the incan trail way ahead of time. Like start right NOW. Enough Food&water for 3-4 days and some good overnight gear, sleeping bags etc. (gets well into the 20F range up in the mountains at night)
Maybe have someone with a GPS in the group. Its a long hike but not terrible. The altitude is the only thing that gets to most people if they didn't acclimate themselves to it.

Go ahead and get some hiking boots and start breaking them in now though.
>>
>>956477
>>956838

A 2 week trek is not an easy task. Especially not in terrain like that. Even more so if you've never hiked before. Start with something manageable - a 5 day hike across moderate terrain will hurt by the end and it'll give you some sense of your capabilities and perhaps a view of what you'll be up against if you decide you do want to do longer treks. If you decide you really do want to go for it, great, but you'll still want some training for it.
It's not like walking a few miles with a backpack, it's much more about endurance. And you'll piss everyone off if you decide on the 3rd day that it's not for you.

Also break your boots in.
>>
>>960416
>>956477

Peruanon here, also you must consider the height, many visitor that arrive here are not used to it and may get really sick (specially if you have african origin). I would advice you to take hikes in the highest place you can find in the place you live, so your body could get used to it.

Also you must consider the time of the year, now is still rain season until the end of march, so it would be more difficultt and there is always the chance of landslides.
>>
>>956528
>>956476

>same threads sit on catalog for weeks and sometimes months
>tells people to "just google it"
>call's people idiots for asking new questions

its almost like you people like coming to a dead board daily
>>
File: bda.jpg (13KB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
bda.jpg
13KB, 236x224px
>>956577

>tfw my grandma walked all of that when she was 80
She has the biggest balls in the family.
>>
>>956577
I wonder how it would feel to fall from there.
>>
>>961193
No, it's that you entitled ADHD millennials have no patience
>>
>>961193
>dead board
stillborn
>>
>>961231
>hurr durr muh millennials back in my day
>>961232
board is dead sorry. maybe if you guys didn't drive away people trying to participate here it would be a little better
>>
>>961235
Not as dead as /po/ at least. They still have threads up from October with only single digit posts on them.
>>
File: nope.gif (915KB, 476x253px)
nope.gif
915KB, 476x253px
>>956577
good lord
>>
>>956453

Honestly, I don't know shit about no Manchu picchu. I seriously doubt anyone on /out/ does. Looks unique. You have no experience.

Camping & backpacking is about the outdoors, specifically the outdoors you choose to go to. I know my neck of the woods, and what to expect as do most on here.

Maybe you should ask the mother fucker that coerced you to go to a foreign land and convinced you to do something that you admittedly have no preparation for. Ask them what you need. Because unless you give some details on what the climate & environment is like, I'd just be speculating. I'm not willing to research that for you.

Why are you even going on this trip? Do you have any interest in /out/? If so great, if you are not sure then. End
>>
>>956453
Start doing training hikes with anything you've got. Even if it's just running shoes, a nalgene, and a wind-breaker. Do half-day hikes, then full-day hikes. Get altitude as much as you can, even if that means taking a weekend to drive somewhere that has altitude.

You'll find that with what you've got that there's "something that could be better about..." or "this thing I had didn't work..." or "I really wish I would have had..."

When ever you find yourself saying/thinking something like that as a result of your hikes, you'll know what you need to buy or start researching.

As you start getting into multi-day hikes you'll need to start somewhere with a tent and sleeping bag. Try and find used gear from good brands. You'll find yourself saying the same things as above, and that's the impetus for you to sell what you have and buy something that better suits your needs.

If you make 2-3 trips /out/ per week and do the above you'll find that you quickly have the gear you need.
>>
>>961331
I'm pretty sure /3DCG/ is even deader than /po/
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.