[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long distance hikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1_Wild-Alternative-News-750x400.jpg (73KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
1_Wild-Alternative-News-750x400.jpg
73KB, 750x400px
Are they fulfilling? Meaningful?
For the last couple years I have been waving through life, I need to do something somehow challenging
>>
Are they fulfilling? Maybe

Meaningful? Maybe

challenging? Yes
>>
Did the PCT and loved it. Ignore that Debbie Downer slowhiker who chimes in to say it's work, it's hard, I'm weak bla bla.
>>
>>955532
My thru hike last summer felt like it was 10 years ago already. Whether its' fulfilling or meaningful, the feeling isn't lasting. It's just another thing I did last summer, nbd. What next?
>>
protip; you can do 40k in a day if you don't wear a full pack and are in flat country. Try going between neighbouring towns
>>
>>955532
Is passing through gorgeous areas, never to see them again, just because you set some artificial goal of hiking across the country in 6 months fulfilling? Or is it better to be out for 6 months at a pace where you can actually stop to examine the flowers and trees and variations in topography?
>>
It's better than work.
>>
>>955532
I was depressed for years and in 2015 I through hiked the PCT and it was great. Really changed my life and outlook. Can't wait to do it again. Totally worth it.
>>
File: Te-Araroa-Map.png (63KB, 340x438px) Image search: [Google]
Te-Araroa-Map.png
63KB, 340x438px
>>955532

I wanna try the Te Araroa trail in New Zealand.
It runs from the northern most point to the southern most point.
Approximately 3000km is mythical land to trek across.
>>
>>955806

ooh, nice. Does that go into some of the geothermal areas?
>>
>>955685
This thought bothers me a lot. Hiking is my go-to activity and I suck at planning any "hike" withour trying to move at a decent phase and get far :(

It's sucks because I think you're right. Even the most beatifull landscapes just slides by one after the other and sometimes you just stop appreciating them
>>
>>955532
Walking won't give you a reason to live, OP.
>>
>>955806
is that a long swim?
>>
>>956254
There's lots more to long distance hikes than the views. That's only a tiny fraction
>>
>>955532
If for some reason you can't go long distance hiking but want to experience some of the same pleasures/challenges that go along with it (loads of solo time if hiking alone, time to reflect, peace and quiet, etc) then maybe look into a Vipassana retreat. It's a meditation retreat that you do for a few to several days (10 days is pretty common) where you maintain silece throughout it. You're not allowed to read, use electronics, chit chat, exercise, or do anything to distract yourself. The object is to spend most of the waking day in silent reflection. A lot of people who have gone through it have broken down emotionally, but it can be a profound and transforming experience (I've down three retreats, two 10-day and one 20-day). Also, it's great if you aren't religious or spiritual because most of the retreat centers keep it very secular. They ask that people don't bring religious items of any nature, that they don't engage in prayers or other religious activities. The sole activity is supposed to be reflection meditation.

So, yeah, look into that if you want something fulfilling and if you can't go hiking. I'm only able to get out west to go hiking once a year, but I have more free time than I can spend out there (money's an issue for me) so I tend to meditate a lot. I'll take hiking over a retreat any day because I like being in nature and enjoy the act of hiking, but it's nice as a back up.
>>
>>958500
Not him but no you take a boat in wellington. I am also planning to do this shit sometime next year.
>>
>>958553
That sounds fucking tiring
>>
>>958495
That's not the case, I'm really fine, I just want something nice to do other than shitpost on /out/ and /diy/.

>Inb4 get a job
That's not a nice thing to do.
>>
>>958553
I respect you mate but that's not what I'm looking for. To do that I would rather sleep all day instead.

More than the hike alone and time to think I want something challenging, something with uncertainty, experience something new.

Maybe I'm just an entitled millennial that thinks that everyone needs to leave their mark on the world or some shit. Maybe I'm overcomplicating and just need to get laid or get high as fuck. Idk.

I just have that feeling that I'm getting older and have done or achieved nothing impressive.

>but hiking for 4months straight ain't nothing
Yeah sure, but we can't all go to the moon or held world records.
>>
>>955806
Also not him, been planning on doing it early 2019, just finishing getting all my gear sorted.
>>
>>958592
Maybe at first, but it quickly becomes pretty engrossing and calming. It helps if you're the introspective type, of course. And one of the neatest parts of it was it felt like my brain was reforging old connections because I was remembering tons of names and events from my younger years. In a good way and bad way it's like doing a full inventory of your life, which can be hard if you have a lot of regrets.

>>958688
What are some impressive feats you've read or heard about? Look to those for some guidance. Personally, I'm impressed by the stories of people like Scott Williamson, who didn't just hike the AT but significantly added on to it and made it his own (he started down in Florida.)

Good luck, anon. I'm sure you'll find your way.
>>
>>960268
>Good luck, anon. I'm sure you'll find your way.
Thanks bro
>>
File: 1478099661690.png (2MB, 1735x903px) Image search: [Google]
1478099661690.png
2MB, 1735x903px
>>958500
Over 13 miles, I certainly couldn't do that but it's not impossible
>>
>>955816
No it misses Rotorua by a lot. Not sure about any other areas.
>>
>>955816
there is a few good spots.
http://www.nzhotpools.co.nz/
>>
>>955532
changing pace and purpose out of the worksleepworksleepWEEKEND!worksleepworksleep cycle may help you reprioritise your life to do what makes you happy if you're in the economic position to get there. or when the walks over it might just make you depressed that you have to go back to that cycle.

personally i feel contented with the day by day simplicity during the hike and then the nostalgia afterward, and appreciating the comforts i have at home more once im back in the workworksleep pattern. i dont think a 'holiday' where you rush all over the place to do and see things is a break from work cycles.
>>
>>955532
I've always wanted to do a thru hike but I am commissioning into the army after college and will probably never get enough consecutive time off to ever do anything remotely like it.

Feels bad.
>>
>>961273
That's all open ocean, isn't it? Much shorter than the 21 miles across the English channel, but I imagine the currents and waves would fuck you up much more.
>>
>>962585
According to oral tradition, the first woman to swim Cook Strait was Hine Poupou. She swam from Kapiti Island to D'Urville Island with the help of a dolphin.[23] Other Māori accounts tell of at least one swimmer who conquered the strait in 1831.

In modern times, the strait was first swum by Barrie Devenport in 1962. Lynne Cox was the first woman to swim it, in 1975. The most prolific swimmer of the strait is Philip Rush, who has crossed eight times, including two double crossings. Aditya Raut was the youngest swimmer at 11 years. Stephanie Bennington was the youngest female swimmer at 13 years. Pam Dickson was the oldest swimmer at 55 years.[24] John Coutts was the first person to swim the strait in both directions.[25] By 2010, 74 single crossings had been made by 65 individuals, and three double crossings had been made by two individuals (Philip Rush and Meda McKenzie). In March 2016, Marilyn Korzekwa became the first Canadian and oldest woman, at 58 years old, to swim the strait. Marilyn swam to raise funds and awareness for Canadian charity, Sashbear.org. Crossing times are largely determined by the strong and sometimes unpredictable currents that operate in the strait.[24]
>>
>>955532
Sometimes I hike somewhere just to sit all day or camp overnight. then go back the way I came. I walk a km off trail and find somewhere interesting to sit.

Sometimes I write, sometimes I read but often I just see what there is to be seen. Have a cup of tea and listen to the sounds.

It's more comfy than Harvest Moon 64.
>>
>>962496
You get a month's paid leave every year in the Army. Also I'm not sure how fun walking long distances with a rucksack will be after the Army ruins it for you.
>>
>>962655
>Also I'm not sure how fun walking long distances with a rucksack will be after the Army ruins it for you

Well I just passed my flight physical and my SIFT score was pretty high (so is my GPA) so fingers crossed I get aviation and don't have to fuck around with that too much.
>>
>>955685
Weakling. You are walking at 3mph, take breaks, and are outside all day everyday feeling and seeing the environment. It's different than your sunday strolls through the bush, where going 0.5mph and obsessively examing every detsul for six hours might make sense.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.