[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hitchhiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: route.jpg (278KB, 1129x893px) Image search: [Google]
route.jpg
278KB, 1129x893px
Hey there /out/
I'm planning on hitchhiking from where I'm living right now (Waco, TX) to meet with an anon on another board in Raleigh, NC. Can you guys give me some tips and/or general advice? This is my first time doing anything of this sort.
>>
>>955100
Don't. You will die.
>>
>>955100
Stay out of Illinois. There's a cougar passing through.
>>
Don't bring drugs and try your best to avoid them the police are a bigger risk then the rare random pysho
>>
File: will suck dick for a ride.jpg (55KB, 469x700px) Image search: [Google]
will suck dick for a ride.jpg
55KB, 469x700px
>>955100
Don't look like a shit head. Dress nice. Clean etc. You're more likely to get picked up if you smile a lot. Also If you can have a girl with you you'll be more likely to be picked up. Haven't done much hitch hiking. But i do have a bit of experience. Good luck annon.
>>
>>955218
fuck this

memorize 300+ jokes
get dirty, roll around in dirt. you need to steal a couple of 40s or cheap vodka and get trashed. then write a sign that says no fat chicks and stand at an on ramp with your thumb out drinking. when you get picked up don't say shit else but jokes. jokes the whole time. then you just keep drinking constantly and you'll end up in Raleigh.
>>
>>955100
1. Bring a firearm. I would recommend a Ruger Lcp with a clipdraw so you can keep it in your waist band.

2. >>955218
What he said.

3. Avoid mall cops, rent a cops, security. They tend to try and use every shred of authority they're granted.

Also heres a great series if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO3-AAVTeDA
>>
>>955223
fuck everything this guy just said
>>
>>955206
How?
>>
>>955100
You should also try posting in /trv/ if you haven't already done so.
>>
>>955222
do this and record it with a gopro, then upload on jootube and enjoy money from views.
>>
>>955306
fuck you don't blow up the spot
>>
>>955285
/trv/ is shit
>>
>>955100
I have a fair amount of experience. Here's a few tips

>Bring tent/tarp/something to keep you dry when sleeping in rain (unless you can afford a motel every night. Should still bring, in case you get dropped off in the middle of fucking nowhere)
>Make cardboard signs with bigger cities in between your destination. People are more likely to stop. Example: if I was going to San Fransisco from Seattle, starting in Seattle my sign might say "Olympia", then "Portland", then "Eugene", etc
>Ask where someone is going when they stop. You don't want to get dropped off in the middle of bum fuck nowhere with no other ride opportunities
>Stick to the freeways if you wanna be quick. Highways and such are a slower but more scenic route
>As far as I know, Oregon is the only state where you can actually hitchhike on the freeway. So you'll have to stand on the on ramps to freeways. Walk down the on ramp a bit so people driving down have a couple seconds to get a look at you and decide if they want to pick you up
>Chart your route so you know what freeways/highways will get you where you want to go
>I highly recommend bringing a knife or something. You shouldn't need a gun. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, but I still travel with a buck knife on my belt and a small one clipped to my pocket
>Be prepared for the elements, and be patient. You could be waiting for hours for one ride.
>Always trust your gut. If you get a bad feeling about someone who is offering you a ride, pass on it
>As mentioned earlier, try to get rides to somewhat major cities and towns. If you get dropped of at some small town or on ramp with nothing around, you'll have to wait a long time to get a ride. I've passed on rides from folks going to said areas
>If you do get dropped in a big city, try to get to the edge of town in the direction you're going, so folks leaving that way are more likely heading out as opposed to just going somewhere in town.
>>
>>955469
Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. This journey will probably take a couple of days. Hitchhiking is a very fun and rewarding experience. You'll meet a lot of awesome people. I'll try to answer any other questions you might have. Good luck, anon!
>>
>>955100
The south is the worst region to hitchhike
>>
>>955469
My picture is kinda of misleading, I may end up actually going from Albuquerque since me and a few other anons are making a road trip there to visit the HWNDU stream. I want to take the I-40 route, any advice specifically pertaining to that? and is there anything I can do to make people more likely to pick me up?
>>
>>955480
This. OP is going to get raped in Jackson MS and Atlanta if white.
>>
How dangerous is hitchhiking? I would probably keep a pistol or revolver on me at all times.
>>
>>955546
Good luck hitching out of abq, you gonna get robbed by methheads. JK maybe. I've never hitched that route but I heard Oklahoma is a hard state to hitch. So stick to the interstate there. AR, TN, and NC should be good. Better than the states south of them. How long are you planning on taking cus it could take you weeks if you don't get rides. And hitching in the interstate is socially fun, by also more dangerous in some aspects (more people see you, more potential criminals, more people likely to see you walk into the bushes to sleep) and I've found it takes longer to get rides in the interstate than in rural areas. But when it get a ride they sometimes go pretty far.
>>
>>955560
OP is from Waco. He's probably used to rape.

Also, given that OP's first attempt at hitchhiking is this halfway-across-the-country plan (and now 2/3 of the way across with this additional Albuquerque cockamammie), we should expect serious failure.
>>
>>955223
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO3-AAVTeDA
That shit was nice to watch but fucking hell, some parts of US are third world tier. Every country has its shitty locations but the us being such huge country and having such disparity among its citizens really exaggerates the shittiness.

This makes me understand liberals a bit more when they talk shit about southern and flyover states.
>>
>>955546
Hitching out of abq is going to be a bitch. You're going to want to ride with truckers. Hang out at a truck stop til you find one going a ways, that way you can hopefully skip nm and oklahoma completely. You may even find someone going all the way east.
>>
>>955694
I dont know how hard you think it is to hitch, but theres no reason why he should fail just based on the route.
>>
>>955717
That guy was probably thinking about the length of the route and the number of rides needed to do it. Could have phrased it better though.
>although additional Albuquerque cockamammie is a nice turn of phrase
If our guy loses confidence at any point he'll get stuck someplace not fun. My concern would be that he's not going to go about this in an organized or confidant way. He made a thread on /trv/ where he said he's doing this "for a fresh start", which doesn't typically imply someone on their "A" game.
>>
>>957984
I just sent a kid off from Oklahoma to Palm Springs CA in one ride.

I am curious to what you guys think the striggle is. Losing confidence will not get you stuck. In fact getting stuck is pretty much bullshit in and of itself. If you are on the on ramp or at the truck stop every day, you will get where you are going quickly. If you get tried of waiting, walk. Its not like hes going to get in a situation where he has to stay in one shithole midwest town forever.

Him being a directionless angsty 20 something is simply par for the course and has nothing to do with his ability to hitch hike.
>>
>>955225
not him
https://youtu.be/_QKbIb8wcz0?t=4m2s
to each his own. i'd rather carry a gun and never need it, you know? i have a CCW and it's reciprocated in 22 states so chances are good i can hitchhike where it's legal
>>
>>958452
Cops will eat your ass up if you pack heat, even if you're legal. Hitchhiker is always viewed as the predator, rather than the prey.
>>
>>958466
It hasn't happened to me yet. I've had many and varied interactions with law enforcement while /out/ (including hitchhiking a few times) and they never searched my person or property. Maybe I just got lucky, but as I said, I legally carried a weapon so there wasn't anything to worry about. Now, if I ever had to use it I might be up against a wall since, as you said, I'd be viewed as a predator and the police would surely believe the word of an upstanding citizen over me if that person played innocent. But, if it's the difference between my safety and peace of mind I'll take it otherwise I'll stay indoors.
>>
File: jf.gif (1MB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
jf.gif
1MB, 500x288px
>>955100
Have only hitched in Europe. >>955218 has it. Shave, look clean, make eye contact. When I was struggling or if the weather was bad I would basically hop service stations. This meant I always had access to a loo, food and shelter. Plus you can strike up conversation with people before they even get in their cars. I used hang out by the maps section of the shop and ask people to show me on a map where we were.

>>958466
Dunno how your police are but I have never had any hassle from cops. Read up on hitching laws so you know where you can and can't thumb a ride. I have been picked up by the police twice while hitching, only because my ride let me out somewhere I shouldn't really be. Both times they were cool. They ran a quick background check them took me to a spot where they used to see hitchers.

Some trips I wouldn't have to wait 15 mins between rides. Other times it could take hours and hours. Bring a book and don't be afraid to walk if a spot isn't working. Stay safe and be smart. You can turn down a lift if you get a bad feeling about it.
>>
>>955100
Hit me on my throwaway email ([email protected]) if you get in the fayetteville area. If it's a weekend I'll get you up to raleigh
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.