[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cotton kills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: hike-tnf[1].jpg (967KB, 3543x2362px) Image search: [Google]
hike-tnf[1].jpg
967KB, 3543x2362px
>muh AntiGravity™ technology
>muh fully adjustable AirSpeed™ ventilated back system
>muh Hydraulics™ and Hydraulics LT™ reservoirs
>muh Stow-on-the-Go™ trekking pole attachment

>2017
>not wearing pro technical clothing
>>
>current year
>not wearing what works

doesn't matter if it's technical or traditional as long as it works for you. even cotton has it's place.
>>
>>954501
You can use a cotton shirt as gauze to stuff your bleeding vagina, OP.
>>
>>954511
"Technical" for this crowd is what "tactical" is for 13 years olds. Means nothing.

>>954516
Did you learn that from your mom? That would explain the smell of her fanny.
>>
>>954501
>not wearing waxed cotton underwear
>>
>>954519
>"Technical" for this crowd is what "tactical" is for 13 years olds. Means nothing.

Consumerism is ubiquitous, friend.

I agree gear makes things easier, but I think it's better to buy once, wear it out, through that gain the experience as to what if anything needs to be changed, then buy again.

Too much keeping up with the jones's, not enough critical thinking and self education.

Some memes are true tho, merino is the daddy base layer fabric, paracord is super adaptable as a general cord, the mora is an excellent knife for the money, etc

But clothing systems are super personal to the wearer, intended use and intended climate. Where I am I get a lot of inclement weather, usually -5-0-10C, wind, rain, drizzle, almost constantly in the winter, and regularly in the summer too. If I lived in the desert, or dry cold, I'd need different clothes. Equally if I were a climber, or hunter, I might need different clothes.
>>
>>954501
Airspeed is comfy af as long as you aren't hauling retarded weight.
>>
>>954531
Those memes are all tried and true. I also agree that gear is needed, but I'm also annoyed that a big part of the hiking community seems to be just yuppies and dickheads in arcteryx and north face shit who view hiking as a competition/sport always complaining about other people's gear and pack weight and who think that dressing in neon coloured clothes with a bunch of trademarks made up for retards makes'em l33t. It's like hiking became another shit to show off with, like e.g. photography and lost everything to do with just liking to be outside, in nature.

I wonder how many of these people even know how to use a compass.
>>
>>954501
Hemp/wool blends are tops. Cost more than most polymer shit though. Add a UA type base layer and a gortex outer shell and you're set.
>>
>>954501
It ain't the chrome that gets you home.
>>
>>954682

Was just about to post this. I've gotten more use out of straight up wool with a thin waterproof outer layer than anything else in 2016.
>>
I can find synthetic shirts in practically any store, outdoors or otherwise, but fuck if I can find a good pair of synthetic cargo shorts or pants. Just a beige fucking pair of shorts.

Somebody help.
>>
>>954501
>wool baselayer
>oros outerlayer
>>
If you wear gear that isn't milsurp, you're just a pussy.
>>
>>954970
>Wearing milsurp
>being this dumb

Unless you're broke you should do yourself a favor and get anything else.
Most milsurp is trash.

Especially anything from the US Army in the last 15ish years.
>>
>>954914
Aftco
>>
>>954570
That's because posting photos of yourself pretending to be an expert at something you know nothing about while wearing over-priced clothing is the easiest way to trick women into thinking that you have a personality. Not sure why so many women are stupid enough to fall for that crap, but it works.

>>954914
I do most of my summer hiking in swim shorts. Fully synthetic and fast-drying, I wish I'd figured it out years ago.
>>
>>955064
>Not sure why so many women are stupid enough to fall for that crap
>not sure why women stupid

my man.. somethings wrong with you
>>
>>954989
>Unless you're broke you should do yourself a favor and get anything else.
This
Military shit is produced by the lowest bidder.
>>955064
>Not sure why so many women are stupid enough to fall for that crap, but it works.
Because even a guy who pretends to have a personality and a hobby is doing better than the masses of guys who don't even try
>swim shorts
I'm glad I'm not the only person who does this
>>955076
Top kek
>>
>>954570
you're almost never going to see anyone claim to wear arcteryx etc raging about people wearing any other brand, but you're ALWAYS guaranteed to some faggot raging about people wearing arcteryx, and complaining about what they claim those people say

really makes you think
>>
>>955130
you haven't seen people equating pack weight and gear with experience? just talk to or google any selfbranded ul, sul, xul gayfaggot ffs
>>
File: youknownothing.jpg (325KB, 1069x704px) Image search: [Google]
youknownothing.jpg
325KB, 1069x704px
>>954501
>2017
>wearing overpriced bullshit marketing hype shit clothes
>>
>>954501

Tbqh famalam I don't understand the issue. Marketing hype aside, clothes wear out, then you have to buy new ones. You might as well buy ones that are comfier, handle a broader range of conditions better, etc.
>>
I have gone from poor to upper middle class. I have lived in walmart and milsurp level clothes and gear up to arcteryx snobbery and everything in between.

From my experience, the clothes that I own from Marmot, Patagonia, Arcteryx, etc. are all universally better than the cheaper clothes I have replaced them with, whether by cut, stitching, fabric or features. Compare hiking in a nice pair of $25 smartwool socks to some dogshit $1 cotton socks and the difference is obvious.

Even "smaller" companies like MEC or Taiga that make their own gear with comparable fabrics are frequently worse-off when comparing cut and features on similar products. Combined with the fact that products with comparable fabrics more-often-than-not have very similar pricetags anyway it becomes difficult to ever justify NOT buying the better product.

However, there are still some items that I buy on the cheap such as cotton underwear, basic fleece pants, fleece gloves/mitts, and wool watch caps. There are also some expensive items that I have regretted, such as a number of Icebreaker merino pieces that just don't fit very well, and there is nothing wrong if someone wants to wear a $20 Columbia fleece instead of a $160 Arcteryx if it does the job. Arcteryx simply fits me much better than any of the cheap products I have tried.

The other factor of course is that all of the expensive gear quite routinely goes on sale for 40% off or more, making the prices much more reasonable.
>>
>>955527
>Compare hiking in a nice pair of $25 smartwool socks to some dogshit $1 cotton socks
>Compare the most expensive shit to the cheapest
No shit it's going to be better. Compare it to $5 synthetic or wool socks. Unless you are at the very edge of your performance, 25$ socks are just a luxury, not that there is anything wrong with that, but 25$ socks are absolutely unneeded for the average hiker.

>comparable fabrics
Like what? Even cheap synthetic fabrics are more than durable enough for your average hiker. Or GORE-TEX®? Talk about overhyped. Cheap fleece also works.

If something goes on sale for 40% off that just means it doesn't cost the retailer more than 30-20% of their original price when they buy it from the manufacturer or wholesale.

The idea that you can't go out to your backyard without some technical gear you could climb Everest with is retarded. That's all I'm saying.
>>
>>955620
Yes and no on sales.
Sometimes it's cheaper for the seller to sell something at a loss then let it take up shelf space.
But yeah most outdoor stuff is super expensive, mostly due to the fact that people are willing to spent $600+ on a GORE-TEX jacket or whatever.
If people will buy it, why wouldn't you sell at that price?
>>
>>955620
I like to buy Darn Tough socks, they're about $20, very similar to smart wool, but come with a lifetime warranty.

After 3 years my first pair is due for replacement.

I much prefer my expensive wool socks to my cheap wool socks. In fact, I'm going to swap over to Darn Tough entirely
>>
>>954501
Always makes me laugh when I see fudds decked out in expensive technical gear out on the trail looking all worn out like what they're doing is difficult and I'm just their in shorts and flip flops and a t-shirt with maybe a water bottle having a good old time.
>>
>>955527

>I have gone from poor to upper middle class.

Son, there are only two classes. You're either part of the bourgeoisie or a part of the proletariat. You're a part of the proletariat like the rest of us. The other "classes" were propaganda to make you feel better about your current situation.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.