[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coyote hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: Coyote-Larry-Going.jpg (173KB, 800x547px) Image search: [Google]
Coyote-Larry-Going.jpg
173KB, 800x547px
Looking to hunt coyote in southern Ontario, have access to tonnes of crown land and a few pieces of forested private land

Any tips for bringing em in? I gather camo and wind conciousness are critical.
>>
>>954261
You picked the right time of year.
Set up a ground blind on the forested edge of a lake, place an electronic call (distressed rabbit is great) with attached decoy out on the ice, you can use a scent attractant too but it's not necessary.

You will have easy pickings and clear shots over the ice.

Bonne chance Canadabro
>>
>>954261
>>954269
I hear female howls are very good to use this time of year.
>>
>>954261
Man oh man. I can tell you: coyote tastes like shit. Can't you get a seal license or something?
>>
No seals in southern onterrible.

Mostly in it for some off-season action and furs.
>>
>>954327
don't need a license to go clubbing my man
>>
I'm from Mississauga and my friend back out of hunting with me. I have a 870 express and zero experience in hunting.

Can I join you friend?
>>
>>954327
Coyote jerky is not bad.
Remove ANY fat.
Soak 1/4 inch thick slices in vinegar brine.
Change brine after 12 hours, soak 12 more.
Dry and roll in 75% sugar, 25% garlic powder til coated.
Cool smoker works best but dehydrator will do. Blot off if the meat "sweats" any when checking.

If it's almost too salty, you put the right amount of salt in the vinegar. Use too much, and it will be too salty unless rehydrated (slimy texture if you do that).

Good idea to freeze raw meat for two weeks first to kill parasites.

Foxes, on the other hand, taste like literal pissy no matter what you do. Same with bobcat. Would only eat them if it were do or die.
>>
>>954687

Honestly, no. I have a hard enough time getting my friends to meet my standard for firearm safety. But advice I can give you, buy map books and use crown land use policy atlas to find crown land with snowmobile trails through it, and go grouse hunting. Its how I got myself in, it's a great starting point. Friends will join once they see meat being brought home.
>>
File: IMG_0026.jpg (198KB, 727x825px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
198KB, 727x825px
Coyote hunter/trapper in Canada.
AMA
>>
File: IMG_0041.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0041.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>954994
Little late in the year to be hunting coyotes, atleast in western Canada it is anyways.
>>
File: IMG_0032.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>954996
14 in one day
>>
File: IMG_0031.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Head shot
>>
File: IMG_0040.jpg (90KB, 668x637px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0040.jpg
90KB, 668x637px
Coyote hunter/trapper in Canada.
AMA
>>
>>955000
Don't know why the text copied twice
>>
>>954994

That all from trapping? No disrespect but I'm sure it's a lot easier to shoot them in a leg hold. Tips for bringing them into firing distance? I'm afraid they'll know I'm there long before I ever see them.
>>
>>954994
what do you do with the skin? do you ever use the fur? Or is it not worth the hassle to clean and tan it
>>
>>955079

I will definitely be getting the furs tanned.

Would love to sew mountain man stuff with fur.
>>
File: 1484782015780.png (148KB, 327x338px) Image search: [Google]
1484782015780.png
148KB, 327x338px
>>954261

NO FUCK OFF NO MURDER DOGGES
>>
>>954327
>>954699

why the f would you eat coyote...pelts man it's all about the pelts
>>
>>954998
nice job anon - SK or AB?
>>
>>955079
fur is the whole point friend
>>
>>956154
I sewed some cottontail pelts together into a crude hat, and it beats the shit out of commercial clothing for warmth and weight. It is never cold enough to wear.
Need to get my residency straightened out so I can run a trapline again, the Legion Vellaxarius hat is happening.
>>
>>956202
>>956154

Fair, but I was more wondering if you're planning to sell them or did you have plans for making things
>>
>>956443

Hit a raccoon a few months ago and took the fur to try tanning. I ended up fucking it up because I'm a moron with no idea what I'm doing, but the dream of a davy crocket hat kept my spirit alive.
>>
File: HBC-coyote.jpg (117KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
HBC-coyote.jpg
117KB, 480x480px
>>956742

Entirely for making things. Be it clothing, bedding, or decoration.

Pic related, a 500$ blanket with coyote furs covering one side for $3500. Shit's mountain man as fuck.
>>
>>957006
Buy some dog-proof coon traps, and put some cat food in the bottom, and put them down by a creek or river bank next fall, tou will get a few coons, it's baby easy!
Buy traps here: http://www.fntpost.com

You can ask questions here: http://www.trapperman.com

I learned how to trap at 20 years old, there's hope for you yet.
>>
>>954261
Can I come along, anon?
I'll give you $50 for use of your private wooded area and the usage of portable cookware, tents, etc.

Would love to just spend two days trapping and or shooting them innawoods. Especially with how warm it has been lately.
>>
Well, I got my buddies together and we've got a few weeks until we will have a chance to go out, but here's my plan so far

>mouthcall
>rabbit hide decoy
>camouflage clothes
>3 buddies in chairs facing in a circle
>3 raifus

Wish me luck budds.
>>
>>959820
sounds like a good time, glhf
>>
>>956200
Cheaper than poutine.
>>
>>956201
AB
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.