[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal detector thread:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15

File: th (6).jpg (9KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
th (6).jpg
9KB, 300x250px
Anybody here metal detect as a hobby? I'd like to get into it does anybody have any recommendations for a mid grade beginners metal detector
>>
>>954061

Bought the cheapest kind I could find, works perectly.

Used it to find property markers. Then for scrap metal.

Before I can use it for park/beack treasure hunting, I need to buy headphones for it. The headphone plug is weird though, which makes it complicated.
>>
>>954109
What kind do you have. And have you ever found any precious metals?
>>
File: grflzx.jpg (374KB, 800x667px) Image search: [Google]
grflzx.jpg
374KB, 800x667px
>>954109
>Bought the cheapest kind I could find, works perectly.
this

My $50 Radio Shack machine from the 80's regularly outperforms $4000 Minelabs and every other brand out there.

The price of the detector doesn't matter, it's how well you know it. How many hours you use it.
>>
>>954136
>>954109
Solid advice here. I have a garrett ACE 250 and It works fine.
>>
>>954152
My buddy bought one of those and found an $850 token first day out. Seems like a solid detector for the price.
>>
>>954152
Im gonna buy this plus a pin point detector. Should be a fun way to kill an afternoon. Plus I need more hobbies
>>
>>954115

"Outbound". It was on sale for like $50.
Plan was to buy the cheapest one, get used to it, return it, then buy the "good" $300 ones. But it worked so well I kept it.

I'm checking online at the same store and the metal detector is now +$100 higher in price. So lucky I guess.
>>
>>954109

I will note that higher priced ones come with headphones and a wand.

Headphones you could probably buy separately... or buy an adapter for standard headphones you might have at home.

The wand isn't necessary. I always dump the dug up pile and keep dividing it by two, and narrow down the pile until I found the item. You can fo this pretty quickly when you have some experience.
>>
>>954115
>found any precious metals

Never tried to. Maybe found silverware in a farmfield (old picnic site?). But I didn't test if it was silver though. It's packed away somewhere...

I did test it on gold rings, coins, etc. and it picks it up no problem.

Picked up the copper pipes that run under the concrete in the basement. You can trace the path of pipes that run underneath.
>>
YOU FUCKERS STOP DIGGING UP MY COW PASTURE!!! I BURIED THAT SHIT THERE FOR A REASON!
>>
Might buy a better coil when I start back at work. I haven't found much in my permission but have recently found out the locals used to escape invading Danes through or near my permission

Buried Saxon goods when
>>
>>954581
I've got about 4 acres next to a dam. Used to have an old auto repair garage on the property like back in the 30's but it's all been long gone. Just built a 40x100" barn there and dug up all kinds of old car parts and dumb shit.
>>
opinions on the 80$ chink machines? don't want to splurge all my money just yet
>>
>>955105
Most modern detectors have mandatory DISC/NOTCH settings which will tune out all the ambiguous targets.

the problem I have with them is most of the coins, jewelry, and tokens I dig are ambiguous due to either depth or mineralization or metal content. So these modern detectors tune out most of the treasure I'm after.

even the cheap generic detectors are like this now, which I don't care for. Computerization made the hobby much easier for newbs, but also means you miss most of the stuff you want. Personally I like a slightly more expensive detector with an ALL METAL MODE and manual GROUND TRACKING. I just find so much more with the less computerized settings. But if all you're after is coins 0-6 inches deep the Chinese generics should work just fine. Be aware you're going to miss a shitload of other valuable stuff and deeper targets though.
>>
File: 1464815478594.png (58KB, 271x521px) Image search: [Google]
1464815478594.png
58KB, 271x521px
>>955115
tl;dr: if you're new a computerized detector works ok.
Experts get an analog detector and learn how to use it like a god.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_244045116.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_244045116.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>954061
I like my Laser Hawkeye very underrated machine but I always seem to do well with it. I found that the other day not sure what it is possibly masonic apparently.
When I get home I'll post a few photos of the hammered coins and bits and bobs I've found over the years.
>>
>>954152
The Garret Ace 250 is a great machine, I still have my old one as it's the best coin shooter I have beaten far more expensive machines in token hunting compitions with it at detector rallies in the past.
>>
File: shirley president.png (169KB, 450x217px) Image search: [Google]
shirley president.png
169KB, 450x217px
>>955844
yeah, looks Masonic. Great find!

reminds me of the first time I found pic related. I was sure it was a fraternal pin. Turned out it was a suspender company from the 1800's. Now I have a bunch of them.
>>
File: P2220065 (800x687).jpg (286KB, 800x687px) Image search: [Google]
P2220065 (800x687).jpg
286KB, 800x687px
>>955844
>>956033
This is the only real Masonic item I've ever found.
Gold tie tack, 1800's. Dug in a Colorado ghost town.
>>
File: IMG_20170223_103415217.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_103415217.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>956052
That's cool I'd love to try detecting in America at some point.
I'll post a few of the things I've found while I'm bored.
>>
File: IMG_20170223_103531067.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_103531067.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>
File: IMG_20170223_103743801.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_103743801.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>
File: IMG_20170223_105416859.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_105416859.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I found all of this stuff in one field. My favourite is the Light Brigade button.
>>
File: IMG_20170223_105604830.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_105604830.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>
>>956246
Is any of it worth anything?
>>
>>956334
Some of the silver coins I've photoed are worth between £20-50 but apart from that no not really.
>>
>>956355
That's cool though. Im just looking for a new hobby
>>
File: pocket change.jpg (635KB, 1024x1015px) Image search: [Google]
pocket change.jpg
635KB, 1024x1015px
>>956239
>>956241
>>956243
>>956246
>>956249
Thanks for posting, those are really cool! I love the crossbones button and the military insignia.

you've probably seen mine before, but this is all the old coins I've found in 30 years of hunting wild west ghost towns. They didn't have a lot of coin circulating back then, and what they had they didn't lose very often. I find about a thousand bullet shells for every coin. Frickin cowboys. I've got buckets full of antique gunfighter brass.
>>
>>956806
Hey, I'm looking to get into metal detecting, and I'm from Maryland, so there's definitely tons of old civil war stuff to be found. I'm thinking of getting a Garrett AT Pro so I can go in the river too. Any tips on hunting on other people's property or public/historic sites? Or any other advice, I'm a huge noob, thanks
>>
>>956829
It's generally illegal to hunt public land. I've read that coins are exempt so you can coinshoot on public land with a permit. I don't know if this is true though, I doubt it because you won't know if it's a coin you're digging before you dig it. So probably not.

Private property is where it's at. I go to my county assessor's online database and find out who owns land I want to detect. If they're locals I go to their door and ask for permission to detect their land. If they live out of town I write them a letter. I have a written permission form I ask them to sign, it indemnifies them from liability and gives me permission to detect for a set period of time. Usually one year. Some people will ask for a share of the treasure, I give them whatever they want. I don't usually find anything that valuable and if I ever do it's theirs by law anyways.

that's it. Most people say no. Try to be friends with the ones that say yes. Also detect in dirt roads and road easements if your county doesn't have laws against it. That's where most of the good stuff is anyways.
>>
>>956806
That's really interesting I love the idea of detecting a ghost town in the middle of nowhere (in England we don't have places like this). One of the joys of detecting in England is the sheer range of things you could find, you can find a 2000 year old Roman coin next to a piece of anti aircraft shell casing from the second world war.
>>
>>956241
Is that Roman fucking silver lad? Do you sell your finds? I bet you'd be rich as fuck by now
>>
>>956918
Yes it's Roman silver, sadly I haven't paid off the mortgage just yet but I've paid off my detector I'll say that much.
>>
File: cowboys and indians.jpg (434KB, 1024x953px) Image search: [Google]
cowboys and indians.jpg
434KB, 1024x953px
>>956853
>you can find a 2000 year old Roman coin next to a piece of anti aircraft shell casing from the second world war.
I envy you that history. I do think it's weird how age doesn't necessarily determine value. I have the same situation to some extent.

Most of the really valuable stuff I find is relatively recent bottles and saloon drink tokens. I get a few thousand dollars a year selling those.

My more typical finds are way more interesting but not nearly as valuable.
>>
>>957524
Wow! Cool finds. How do you manage to detect obsidian/fling arrowheads though?
>>
>>957549
I eyeballed those. Same with the bottles and marbles and doll parts I find. Spend all day staring at the ground and you find stuff.
>>
File: interior crocodile alligator.jpg (425KB, 675x1024px) Image search: [Google]
interior crocodile alligator.jpg
425KB, 675x1024px
>>
Is there any good backpack-sized metal detectors around?

I'm currently backpacking around the world, and many places have interesting historical sites that'd be neat to scan.
>>
>>958792
They make em pretty light already, and most break down to a couple feet long. Depends how much you want to spend but I like some of the cheaper Garrets and Bounty Hunters.

watch where you detect though- a lot of historical sites don't allow digging.
>>
>>956847
Like what kind of good stuff?
>>
>>958865
Coins, trade tokens. It's weird how often people would sit down on the side of the road and accidentally dump out their pockets.
>>
>>957524
I'd kill for some legit arrowheads
It's impossible to find those here in Miami
>>
>>957553
Aw man bro it's normally not legal to take arrow heads.
>>
>>954061
You could borrow my ex-wife. Bitch can smell gold from a mile away, and she'll dig it for you too.
>>
>>959205
>it's normally not legal to take arrow heads.
it's also normally not legal to metal detect.

I do both on private property with the owner's permission, where it's legal.
>>
>>959208
Yeah, I was kind of jealous. But I doubt I'd take many even if I had permission. It's kind of like robbing from anthropologists, but they are pretty common. Pottery is worse. I'm coming from geology and paleontology where amateur collectors and those collecting to sell are a huge problem in the field, if you get me. So yeah, I'm a little biased against those who sell for profit to private collections, but I'm certainly not combative over it.
>>
>>959222
You don't own the material on private property, it belongs to the property owner.

it has no archaeological value anyways, there's essentially nobody digging Woodland sites in the West. You'd have to excavate the entire continent and nothing you'd find would be interesting. Surface finds have no archaeological context most of the time anyways.

if you have a background in science you know arrowheads aren't the provenance of paleontologists.
>>
>>959231
Archaeologist here. The existence of a profit based market for artifacts leads people to mess around where they aren't supposed to. This is why we can't publish site locations. Collecting from your own property is legal and actually helps us in a PR capacity at times. But the existance of an artifact market leads to criminal activity that really screws up the possibilities of better understanding our prehistory as a species.
>>
>>959231
Archeologist is what I meant when I wrote anthropologist. I've been in a lab for 12 hours today so I'm kind of brain dead. Sorry. Anyway, like I said, I'm not combative over this, but you aren't exactly being cordial.

They often need geologists on dig sites because many paleontologists and archeologists don't have much training in geology these days. It's kind of funny. So yes, I'm very aware of how the monetization of artefacts and fossils can harm the field. Where something is found can be as important as the actual object. The object is generally surrounded by a little sample of the world that it came from, you know? In paleontology, the rocks surrounding the fossil can tell you a lot about the world that existed when it was buried.

Anyway, I'm just trying to share a different perspective on these found objects. Just some food for thought. I'm not condemning anyone.
>>
>>959300
Hey, I'm not the same guy who responded to you first. I was actually responding to him. Hey! I have a minor in geology. Took physics with calculus since it was a prerequisite for structural geology. That was a bitch! We work with geo consultants all the time.
>>
>>959259
>The existence of a profit based market for artifacts leads people to mess around where they aren't supposed to.
True, but it would be a mistake to assume just because I HAVE some artifacts I must be SELLING them. Anyone with any experience in the trade knows nothing I've posted there is worth selling unless you're extremely broke.
>>959300
>you aren't exactly being cordial.
At worst you're accusing me of a crime, at best you're completely ignorant of the law and the archeological value of the artifacts I posted. Either way you're lecturing from your own ignorance and I'm not required to be kind when I correct you.

in fact you might remember it better if I step on your toes a bit.
>>
>>959259
>Collecting from your own property is legal and actually helps us in a PR capacity at times
Missing the bigger picture though.

Metal detectorists and amateur fossil hunters are great at identifying sites of significance. That's not just PR, we help protect valuable sites by identifying them and pointing them out to the authorities that can protect them.

sure, there are looters out there. Your average retired guy detecting every week isn't doing it just for the money though. We also work to return lost items to their owners whenever possible. The hobby isn't just about treasure hunting, a lot of us do it to bring history to light that would otherwise be destroyed. I'm also the guy they call when someone drops their keys in a snowbank or loses a wedding ring in the grass. I like being that guy, I like to help people.

I personally have detected as a volunteer on government digs, and I've returned hundreds of dollars worth of people's lost property to them. I particularly enjoy it when I find something with a name on it and can track down the owner's descendants to send it to them 100+ years after it was lost or tossed. I've never personally had the good luck to discover anything of great historic or scientific value, but if I ever do you can bet I'd rather turn it over to the government then try to sell it and go to prison. I don't need money. I don't detect just to make money. I might have started off that way, but a long time ago I realized I'd make far more money washing dishes full time than detecting every day.
>>
>>959325
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
>>
>>959333
Real archeologists would be just as concerned about the bullets and watch I posted as the arrowheads.

they're all covered by the same law if they're found on public land.
>>
>>959312
Oh sweet! A minor in geology is a very smart move on your part. I respect that. Gotta love how much physics, math, and chemistry go into geology, amirite? Who knows, maybe we'll work together some day and never know it!

>>959325
I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was only trying to inform anyone reading this thread that there are some things to keep in mind when they do their collecting. That is all.
>>
>>959332
You sound like you're one of the good ones, but sadly a strong, influential group of collectors have given those in the field a but of wariness about the subject. I hope you can understand. I'm not going to name any names, but there are groups and clubs if fossil collectors that collect for private collections (wow that sounds redundant). They do not document their finds and the objects they remove are gone from the public records. A lot of it is illegal, but even those who do it legally can destroy samples and even with their best intentions in mind, they don't know how to report what they find or don't think of it.

I don't condemn anyone for having the hobby, I just wish there were more informed people like yourself. It would be very nice if there were more people like you.
>>
>>959373
the bad ones don't last long.
We report people we see breaking the law in the field and online. We don't waste our own time and money getting permission to collect legally just so other people can do so illegally.

I recently spoke to our local sheriff about several thousand dollars worth of stolen property collected by detectorists in my area that was being sold on ebay. A month later all the listings of that property disappeared. We police our own because if we don't everyone gets banned.
>>
>>959342
You're taking general statements and making them very specific. No one is attacking you. There is no real argument. No one has told you to stop your hobby. It's all cool. These are just things to think about. Insights from a different perspective.

Current anthropologists use a lot of little bits and clues to piece together history. You never know what future anthropologists might think of your findings. Again, just something to think about. No one's telling you to stop.
>>
>>959379
That's great! I'm really happy to hear that. I wish it was like that everywhere, and for paleontology as well. I don't even want to get into the Africa and Mongolia incidents, let alone the stuff going on in the west. Let's just say that keeping locations secret and prosecuting "professional" amateurs are things that need to happen more often in my fields. There's some real Heinrich Schliemann dynamiting Troy kind of stuff going on.

You're doing good things, anon.
>>
>>959380
>You never know what future anthropologists might think of your findings
I know exactly what they'd think of them. I dig them for the same reasons they do.

unfortunately they don't have access to most private property in their line of work so nothing I remove would ever wind up in their collections anyways.

I'm saying there's no objective metric by which an archeologist would declare those arrowheads more significant than the Victorian trash I posted next to them. They are equally interesting from a historical perspective. And to single out one culture as more worthy of protection than another indicates a lack of experience in the field. The government is just as interested in 140 year old bullets as it is in flint points or even flint debitage. Collecting either one on public land is an offense. Collecting either one on private property is perfectly legal.
>>
>>959386
Refer to
>>959380

I said here
>>959222
That I was jealous of your arrow heads. I wish that I had a couple. I never individually pointed them out for value. The only reason I ever brought them up is because I have a recurrent desire to have some and know where they came from and who crafted them, but I'd feel a tiny bit bad knowing what I know about my own field of work.

Again, no one is telling you to stop. I'm not going to repeat myself again. Legality isn't the issue. I've made that clear as well. You do you. If you haven't noticed, 4chan is an open forum and you're not the only one reading this, or the only one my posts are directed to. That is all.
>>
>>959394
>I have a recurrent desire to have some and know where they came from and who crafted them,
then you appreciate them in exactly the same ways I do. If it makes you feel better you'd eventually realize you don't own things so much as just take care of them for a while. And sometimes the best way to take care of a thing is to give it to someone else to take care of.

Probably not true of my arrowhead collection, but I have other collections that will probably find their way into museums before I die. Because the real fun is in discovering a thing, and once that's done all that's left is letting others discover it too.
>>
>>959385
>let alone the stuff going on in the west.
Like Rabbit Valley!

There's a trail there that goes right by several dinosaur bones and skeletons. There's even these little signs to point out the bones. And in one spot the trail goes right OVER a dinosaur skeleton, you can walk on it! The area is almost never patrolled and there's no barriers there to keep people from touching or even taking the bones. There's huge frickin signs on the interstate telling you it's there.

Even with thousands of visitors every year for the last 100+ years nobody has stolen the bones. Because people aren't the shit bags you imagine them to be.

stop pretending to be a paleontologist. We both know you're lying.
>>
>>959629
Yes yes your anecdote totally makes up for all the pieces lost to the black market, the information lost from people not recording the location of their findings (leading to a glut of information on biodistribution), the cleaning up of samples that again leads to lost information (ie the polishing of those feathers encased in amber), and the mistreatment and breakage of valuable samples (most of which will never be brought to light or known because why would they?).

Amateurs can be helpful when they know what they are doing and want to contribute their samples to science, and yes, there are many who do this. It's a wonderful thing. There are also many who fuck it up for everyone.

Just think of this, paleontology is a relatively young field. Who knows what great advancements will be made in the future? Maybe it's best if some things are left undisturbed until we have better tools and ways of collecting data. Maybe fossil hunting should be as regulated as hunting is. Classes you have to take before you get your license.

There's many facets to this story and your one anecdote doesn't nearly begin to cover it.
>>
>>959813
>Just think of this, paleontology is a relatively young field
a few hundred years young.

are you the faggot that pretends to be a paleontologist on /an/?
Be honest.

my one anecdote isn't just one. Like I said, hundreds of thousands of people from all over the country and the world have visited that site without stealing anything.

that's hundreds of thousands of anecdotes. A real scientist wouldn't call that an anecdote.
>>
>>959813
>all the pieces lost to the black market,
how many? how many have been lost?
see, you don't know so you get to make shit up.

I'm aware of 3 instances of fossils being stolen in the US in the last 30 years.

there was the burglary at Cleveland-Lloyd in the 90's. Then the discovery of Falcarius from looted bones. Then the theft last year of a theropod footprint by Moab.

let's have some real data here, Mr. Pretend Scientist. Know of any other examples? Anecdotes?
>>
>>959813
One crime every ten years is no excuse for your sanctimonious bullshit.

let's be fair, your lies.
>>
>>959841
Uhhh bro, how would they steal it if so many people visit? Doesn't it take a long time to dig up bones from rock? How would you even sell something so famous?

>>959846
Bretty sure there's got to be like a load of stuff going up for auction. Like that trex that got stolen from Mongolia? Or that guy who just tried to steal more stuff from Mongolia?

I don't know guys. This ain't taking much critical thought.
>>
>>959849
>Uhhh bro, how would they steal it if so many people visit? Doesn't it take a long time to dig up bones from rock? How would you even sell something so famous?
questions I don't plan on answering.
>that trex that got stolen from Mongolia?
>stolen in the US
ah, a retard.
>>
>>959846
Yer not aware of it because no one ever knew the pieces existed to report them stolen.

Things aren't being stolen from museums and such. They are stolen from vast expanses of public land, where the chances of getting caught are near nil, by people with a little bit of knowledge and no respect for the sciences that gave the pieces value in the first place.

There are things we will never know about ourselves and our planet because of our shortsighted pillaging.

I blame the the collectors much more than the actual thieves. If there were no demand, then there would be no profit on the supply side.

People who have too much are paying people who don't have enough for a piece of history that the vast majority will never know existed.

Hobbyists have nothing to worry about from anyone as long as they know the laws that apply to them, and follow them at all times, while encouraging those who learn from them to do the same.

I think I made a run on sentence somewhere. There really is no argument here. It just comes down to each individual's intent, like most everything else.
>>
>>959859
>Yer not aware of it because no one ever knew the pieces existed to report them stolen
convenient, isn't it?

in fact we are aware of it because people DO police the wilderness and ebay. It just doesn't happen much at all.

what's weird is that you think it does despite not having any examples. Isn't that religion?
>>
>>959394
Shut the fuck up, pussy
>>
>>959872
kek
where'd that come from?
He was talking to me and I think these things are important to get out in the open. Like it or not his attitude is common in science.

they're so afraid of black market dealings they want to outlaw legal trade in artifacts. Despite the fact that the only people interested in seeing their research funded are the same private collectors they're trying to screw.
>>
>>959861
I have tons of personally witnessed examples. I'm the archaeologist. We have to fucking camp on site where people have seen us excavating or surveying. Way too many times, I've arrived in the morning only to find that months of my work and thousands of years of record has been destroyed overnight.

I was trying to be nice, but fuck you. I have helped put dozens of dipshit shovel bums, and even a 20 year veteran Forest Service Ranger in fucking Federal prison. I have been a witness in Federal Court where my testimony resulted in millions of dollars in fines being levied against oil exploration companies.

You want an example? How about you set a fucking example, instead of making a mockery of what could be a well thought of pastime. My examples take the form of evidence. Be sure it's not your trail where I present it.
>>
>>959886
>My examples take the form of evidence
couldn't think of a single example of vertebrate fossils stolen from public land in the US, could you?

It's ok, I track this stuff too and I don't know of any aside from the 3 I listed. It's not common.

Might happen a lot in archeology, I don't know. But it's not a regular thing in US paleontology. Presumably because large fossils are harder to steal and sell.
>>
>>959886
>You want an example? How about you set a fucking example
I have. Like millions of others I don't steal artifacts from public land.

yes, some people do. They wind up in prison. Stop your bitching and set up trail cams, moron. Digital cameras have been a thing for longer than you've been alive.
>>
>>959889
We're past trail cams you fucking poser. We use motherfucking satellites. Look up. Smile. Now tell yourself you are a good person, and take a flying fuck at the moon.
>>
>>959895
>We use motherfucking satellites
I work for the government and with the government, I'm well aware you can't ID a person from satellite and nobody is going to put that in the budget anyways.

Nor is prison common. The last case I know of where anyone actually served time was those jokers looting Anasazi pots down by 4 corners. Most people get probation.

I love your LARP'ing and faux outrage though. I guess that's part of the ARCHAEOLOGIST act, right?
>>
>>959888
Again, you don't find that fossils have been stolen, because they've been fucking stolen! What you find is a bunch of rock that has been blown the fuck apart, or an empty goddamned hole. Just look at you, for example. Someone stole your brain, and you have no fucking idea it was ever there!
>>
>>959847
>>959851
Wow son. I don't know what crawled up your ass and died. Or why you're being an obstinate child about this without bothering to put any research in yourself. You want to be spoon fed? Ok.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2017-01/11/content_27927347.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/amp/fossil-theft-raises-concerns-about-bustling-black-market-n35846

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=7744148&page=1

Of course you can just look at auctions and see a load of stuff questionably obtained, buddy pal.
>>
>>959900
You are a total imbacile. Your frenemy local insurance adjuster can buy video imagery from a private satellite surveillance contractor to see if your house was really burglerized or struck by lighting. DoJ has realtime, license plate readable resolution, and that is common fricking knowledge. Add facial recognition software, and all you need is a facial recognition database that is being compiled as we write.

Religion is failing at keeping people from breaking the Golden Rule, so science and technology are filling the niche.
>>
>>959901
Aw man. I don't know why there are people that enjoy being shits. I'm sorry it's got under your skin. There's no way they'll ever admit to being wrong on the Internet. Things would be different face to face, because then they'd have to be accountable for their words. It isn't common public knowledge that people fuck up irreplaceable history often enough for it to be a problem. From those seeking to make a profit to those who just don't know that they're causing harm. Taking a few fern fossils or a couple of arrowheads and bullet casings doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but those we're arguing against don't know that we're talking about a bigger issue. They'll argue it into the ground without giving an inch, no matter how well you articulate it or how much evidence you give.

But hey, I'm glad you've done so much to help in the real world. I'm just a geologist, but I've worked with paleontologists who have shared their gripes with me. They have to rely on mining operations to get samples while hundreds of thousands of years of history are wiped out before them. If it isn't sexy dinosaurs they don't get to say hey big Corp, stop, you're fucking it all up. I'm very glad that you've been an asset in court to stop some erasure of history. It sucks to have to rely on mining slag and glimpses at quarry walls to collect data (but hey who would have excavated it otherwise, amirite?)

Anyway, fuck em. Dump some easy to read articles that they don't have to go to a library database for and be done with it.
>>
>>959907
Oh, and an extra heads up, Black Hill doesn't collect nearly enough data about their finds. They don't do proper field notes and they really fuck up the science, but hey they're official! And they pretend to support science! For profit! But nope, they don't collect nearly enough data to really help, and the fossils go to private collections more often than not. They're a thorn in the side of paleontologists. Don't trust Black Hill. I should have said that in the original post.
>>
This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>959907
>chinadaily.com
>US
gaggle of retards.
>>959910
>DoJ has realtime, license plate readable resolution, and that is common fricking knowledge.
>DoJ is tracking people that pick up arrowheads
mmmhmmm
>>959924
>Black Hill doesn't collect nearly enough data about their finds
it's their property, they can do whatever they like with it.

Bottom line all I care about is you fucks pretending to be archeologists without knowing the laws.

but by now you've tipped your hand, nobody that reads this is going to believe you anymore.
>>
>>959915
>Taking a few fern fossils or a couple of arrowheads and bullet casings doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things
none of those things is illegal on private property with the owner's permission.

which is the point you dense fucks are ignoring.
>>
>>959954
>>959956
Eh, you dum dum, all I'm gonna give ya is that legality ain't everything when it comes to science. Not to mention all the illegal stuff you ignored, but hey, that ain't nothing right? And who are you? The layman? The Joe Schmo? Naw, the average man can recognize an actual argument instead of waging war with selective responses. Braheim, you don't have an argument against the information levied against you, and that's fine.
>>
>>959967
>all I'm gonna give ya is that legality ain't everything when it comes to science
that's the point I was making, thank you.

you don't respect the law.
>>
File: image (3).jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image (3).jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>959971
Oh hurp you lost your argument entirely. "Respect for the law" brah. Brah I ain't even mad about people who don't "respect the law" but act properly and helpfully, like the people who find lost objects with their metal detectors or report their finds. But hey man, you can reject the nuances of life all you want. All you're giving me is a stump to stand on and guess what? It feels pretty good to be tall.
>>
>>959973
You have an ethical objection to people metal detecting, hunting arrowheads, or collecting fossils on their own private property.

and that's fine,
but what the fuck are you doing trolling metal detector threads?

We have a legal right. You don't like that. Fuck off.
>>
>>959974
Nope sir-ee. If you think I'm shitting up the thread, what have you done? Oh wait, what's this? You've ignored every well articulated and easy to grasp point? Oh no. Oooh. Oh no. You poor thing. You're. You're "challenged" aren't you. Oh no I'm so sorry. Only a challenged person could take away from this entire thread what you've just written. What a shame. Your poor mother. Oh the difficulties she must face.

But no really man, that's what you've taken away from this? It's like you didn't even read jack shit and just decided to make a stand based on your own limited agenda. I'm the geologist who has stated clearly that I'm not against anyone practicing their hobby. I have no power over that. Only, some do it more responsibly than others. And of course other people had to argue that into the ground, thereby shitting up the place more than I could ever. All I ever did was point out that people would do the world a favor and be aware of what they do, and why they should be aware. I would have never gotten into the paleontology shit if other people didn't take my comparison and make a new argument of it. But hey, can't say I didn't enjoy practicing my rhetoric.

Do what you do. I don't have any control over you. I'd just enjoy it if people where well informed and mindful.
>>
>>959982
ah, the 'paleontologist.'

what type of paleo do you study? I'm assuming you took an intro to paleo course for your geo degree and now fancy yourself a real paleontologist. It's a start.
>>
>>959982
>All I ever did was point out that people would do the world a favor and be aware of what they do, and why they should be aware

Oh fug. I meant:
All I ever did was point out that people would do the world a favor by being aware of what they do, and why they should be aware of their actions and the possible repercussions.

Collect shit if you want, and enjoy your hobby. But if you happen upon something important, you'd do so much good by reporting it.

There. That's all I ever meant. But hey, people wanted to make an argument of it and throw shade. So fug me if I wasn't inspired to throw it right back.
>>
>>959986
>if you happen upon something important, you'd do so much good by reporting it.
as I've said repeatedly, I never have. Not that it matters since it belongs to the landowner, reporting it does nothing.
>>
>>959984
Geologist, thank you. I work with paleontologists. Thank you so much for considering me.
>>
>>959988
I was checking to see if you're worth discussing with.

I did my bachelors in geology and masters in comparative vertebrate anatomy. Unfortunately we won't have much to talk about.
>>
>>959987
Holy fug. Only thing I can do is repost this

>>959380
You're taking general statements and making them very specific. No one is attacking you. There is no real argument. No one has told you to stop your hobby. It's all cool. These are just things to think about. Insights from a different perspective
>>
>>959990
>Only thing I can do is repost this
I'm trying to teach you.

reporting to the government that your neighbor has an indian campground in his back yard does no good. The feds will say, "so? we can't touch it."

so you must mean reporting finds on public land.

it's against the law to hunt artifacts on public land without a permit, so this applies rarely if ever.
>>
>>959992
Brody, you did not read the thread. Again. It's about being responsible, and aware of the things you find. Plenty of people hunt on public land (I've been to far too many parks that have no oversight. I mean literally no one watching the grounds. It's incredibly easy to dodge detection. From Appalachia to northern California I've very rarely run into any kind of authority). If you find something as important as a ritualistic site (let alone be able to deduct it as such), then it's your judgement call as to whether you inform the land owners or not. It's your call as to what to do with what you're allowed to take.

All I ever wanted is for people to be aware of what they do. That is all. This argument will get us nowhere. If you've read the thread, it's already been discussed to oblivion. I'm well aware of the law. The law isn't always on the side of science. You know this if you really have the credentials that you claim. Why would you not want people to be more informed? That is my only intention with my posts.
>>
>>959994
>Why would you not want people to be more informed?
the argument began with someone (you apparently) stating that it's usually illegal to take arrowheads.

this is factually incorrect. I am informing people.

it is illegal to take arrowheads from federal land. It's also illegal to metal detect on federal land. So there should be no confusion. If a person is detecting legally they probably also have the right to take arrowheads. Or fossils. Or whatever else the landowner lets them walk off with.
>>
>>959996
or to put it another way:

anywhere it's illegal to hunt arrowheads it's also illegal to metal detect. So this should literally never be an issue.
>>
>>959996
Brody you know that people don't follow that. You know that. You know that if you've been /out/ that it's beyond easy to avoid detection. There's hardly anyone out there to detect out. And hell, most of the stuff people will easily find on public land has likely been found by flaunting the law. I'm not fighting that. People will do it anyway. There's nothing I can do about it. That isn't the point. Again, for the last time, I just want people to be informed. That's it.
>>
>>960001
>Brody you know that people don't follow that.
I know after 30 years of detecting that you WILL get caught. People follow the law. LEO's can't be everywhere, but they cruise their areas pretty effectively.
>>
>>960002
Good. But that's not accounting for all the people who get away with it before they're caught out those who aren't. C'mon man. You've taken a statistics. That's not a problem that I can tackle. Again, just want those who don't know what they're doing to be aware that they could do something good with their findings. C'mon my friend. It's not anything worth arguing.
>>
>>960007
seems like it would be much easier to say,
>don't metal detect on federal land in the US.
then we're good.
>>
>>960011
Doesn't stop people. Through ignorance or avarice people will do it anyway. What do you have against someone on 4chan describing why being aware is important? No, don't answer that. This is pointless at this point. I'm done with senseless argument. Go ahead and have the last point. I'm done and satisfied.
>>
>>960012
>don't answer that
can if I want.
to reiterate:
1. Fake archeologists that don't even know the law
2. The general dislike of private property rights by career academics
3. The conflation of perfectly legal hobbies with crime
4. Misinforming people about the legality of their hobby because they don't like it
5. stepping into a thread about a hobby they hate just to troll
6. threatening anyone that calls them on their bullshit with federal prison
7. falsely believing criminal activity is far more common than it really is
8. altruistically believing actual criminals are going to report significant fines even though they'll go to prison for doing so

I think that about sums up the bullshit I've seen so far.
>>
>>960015
To follow your lead
1. Misconstrue the posts you read in a way that supports your own thoughts

Oh wait. I don't need more than that.
>>
>>960036
>uh oh, somebody caught me pretending to be a scientist online again
>I must have said something retarded
>this could undermine my important pretending-to-be-a-scientist work that I do
>if I let it slide nobody will believe i'm a scientist online ever again
>everyone can see what I wrote, what do I do?
>I know, i'll say he's twisting my words!
can I see your fake degrees?
>>
>>960007
I can post images all day of historically important artifacts discovered by metal detectorists take a look at this website for instance. https://finds.org.uk But as a realscientistâ„¢ I'm sure you already know about all this stuff.
>>
Damn you guys are fags. I have 31 acres of my own land. And just to spite you all I'm going to throw any "artifact" I dont think is valuable into my lake.
>>
>>960740
Projectile points skip really well.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.