[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ starter-pack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

File: amazon-claim-code-camping-hiking.jpg (151KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
amazon-claim-code-camping-hiking.jpg
151KB, 1024x719px
What's the best /out/ shit on Amazon? I've got a $500 gift card and want to use it to begin my /out/ hobby.

Assume that I'm starting out with nothing and that my goal is to camp out of my car for a while and go hiking in the North Carolina area.
>>
>>953620
>What's the best /out/ shit on Amazon?
Okay, I'll bite.
>want to use it to begin my /out/ hobby
I can help with that!
>camp out of my car
I know nothing about this...
>>
>>953620
I can get you half way there.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H8BIKW/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>8.92
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Internal-Backpack-Backpacking-Camping/dp/B000F34ZKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1487455884&sr=1-1&keywords=teton+backpack
>69.43
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487455904&sr=8-1&keywords=mora
>13.56
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X7-Hatchet-14-Inch/dp/B0002YTO7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487456057&sr=8-1&keywords=fiskars%2Bx7&th=1&psc=1
>24.97
https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Portable-Cookware-Backpacking-Cooking/dp/B00FQZEYWE/ref=sr_1_16?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1487456211&sr=1-16&keywords=mess+kit
>12.59
https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487456536&sr=8-1&keywords=life+straw
>18.99
https://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-06089-Therm-a-Rest-ProLite-Mattress/dp/B00R7JD4G4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1487456618&sr=8-6&keywords=therm%2Ba%2Brest&th=1&psc=1
>49.97
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Tracker-Ultralight-Sleeping-Backpacking/dp/B00DDP3DZ8/ref=sr_1_24?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1487456668&sr=1-24&keywords=sleeping+bag
>48.90

>Total 247.33
>>
Kelty Redwing 50 - $100
Kelty Grand Mesa 2 - $107
Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Footprint - $26
Thermarest Z-Lite Sol - $35
Teton Sports Trailhead +20f - $36
MSR PocketRocket - $32
ISOPRO 8oz. fuel - $12
GSI Halulite Minimalist - $28
Fiskars 7" Folding Saw - $14
32oz. Nalgene (x2) - $19

That's $409 (plus shipping). Need to add a knife.

>inb4 shill
>>
>>953640
>https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Internal-Backpack-Backpacking-Camping/dp/B000F34ZKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1487455884&sr=1-1&keywords=teton+backpack
>>69.43

>>953620

Don't do this. If you are going to buy a tramping bag, buy a good quality one for a reputable manufacturer.
For example this Kelty Coyote:
https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Coyote-80-Backpack-Ponderosa/dp/B014JQIHNW/ref=sr_1_60?ie=UTF8&qid=1487457777&sr=8-60&keywords=kelty+hiking+bag
>>
>>953644
This is good advice.
>>
>>953644
>>953640
>saw
>axe
Found the bushcrafters-
>>
>>953646
Dangit, I knew I did something wrong.
Anyways, going off of what people say about the teton pack it's all you really need for beginners stuff. However, considering I only made it halfway into the budget there is room for nicer stuff for sure.
>>
>>953644
Oops. Forgot a Sawyer Mini - $20

>>953649
Processing wood while car camping (or even backpacking) is pretty great. I wasn't suggesting he make fucking wood sculptures with a folding saw.
>>
File: Coyote80.jpg (216KB, 1500x1499px) Image search: [Google]
Coyote80.jpg
216KB, 1500x1499px
>>953646
>Coyote
I have this pack (well, an older version) and absolutely love it.
>>
>>953640
>>953644
>>953646
Looking at all of these. Thanks a lot. Also I factored shipping and tax out of the card amount already, so feel free to push up against the limit.

What's a good pair of boots? Obviously I'll head to the local Dick's to try them out before buying online, but what should I look for?

Also wondering if any of the non-perishable foodstuffs on Amazon is any good.
>>
>>953744
Had good luck with Carhartt boots - hikers with composite toes. Debating MOAB 2 Ventilators.
>>
>>953674
I have one too

Love it

Only thing id like better stitching on the bottom straps
>>
File: 1373251093502_smile.png (132KB, 778x778px) Image search: [Google]
1373251093502_smile.png
132KB, 778x778px
OP you need everything pictured. And don't forget the eggs.
>>
>>953870

> no mora
> no orange peel

kys
>>
>>953744
>foodstuffs
There is all kinds of Mountain House on Amazon.
>>
As far as lightweight stoves go, I own the MSr pocket rocket, the ekticity 10$ stove, and the generic 6$ stove found on Amazon.

The 6$ stove has out-performed the other two, and has the best flame.

Use that money saved to upgrade other areas.

Between Teton and high Sierra packs, I prefer the high Sierra models. My first pack was a high Sierra Appalachian 75, and it served me well until I upgraded to a $300 Gregory baltoro.

Also check woot.com for deals on flashlights, backpacks, knives, and sleeping bags.

I picked up a Slumber jack sojourn -20 sleeping bag for 99$. That's a 3lb down bag that Retails for 400.

I wouldn't rush purchasing anything.

Do some research. Go to rei or cabelas and shop on Amazon where you can get a visual on the things you want.

Many basic things like cookware, fuel for your stove, and camping trinkets can be bought at Walmart for cheaper than Amazon.

I'd work on compiling a list of what you think you need, then start filling out what you decide you want one thing at a time.

And honestly, you'll learn more about your needs the more you camp.
>>
>>954120
Woot has good deals some times. You just missed yesterday they had kelty redwing packs for like $65, awesome deal. You can still find redwing packs for cheap though on amazon at times. Although I will say, if you have cheap gear a 50L pack will get filled up in a hurry.

The teton sleeping bags are alright, but not amazing. My brother has the 20 degree bag, I have a 40 degree bag from them. They are often not comfort rated though, so you have to add 10-15 degrees to their rating to be comfortable aka a 20 degree bag will be comfortable at 35.

Don't spend much on a knife. The only thing I use my knife for is cutting open packages of food, or cutting a rope. A Buck Bantam(folding), Morakniv companion (fixed) , or CKRT minimalist (neck knife) bowie will be fine, all under $20.
>>
>>954042
Is Mountain House good? It seems kind of overpriced for what you're getting in terms of calories.
>>
Pretty interested in this thread, keeping an eye on it. Not OP but I was planning on taking a month or so long bender in Yellowstone in a year or so.

Is there some kind of wiki or an extensive list of things I'd want to bring when going /out/ for a long period of time?

This is assuming I have no budget and I have not been /out/ in like 15 years.
>>
Everyone is giving you a huge list of mostly shit. Don't waste your money on a Nalgene / Life Straw. Invest you 500 on a nice tent and sleeping bag with good warranties. Check out product reviews and youtube videos and other fourms. /out/ is one of the worst places online to get outdoors advice.
>>
>>953640
>LifeStraw
>necessary
Yeah, if you're a woman or fag who can't give enough suction. Get an MSR Miniworks EX and bladder with compatible Nalgene-type opening
>>
>>954253
>MSR Miniworks EX
for what purpose? It's heavier and more expensive.
>>
>>954257
actually not really, if you get a lifestraw you'll need something else to filter sediment from water for cooking/making tea. also they're too disposable, you can repair pretty much any problem the miniworks runs into with the maintenance kit whereas you just throw the lifestraw out. Literally the only reasons to get a lifestraw would be if you're staying in a hotel at the end of the day or need to work on your blowjob muscles
>>
>>954194
The food itself is pretty bland and devoid of calories and nutrients. It packs awkwardly too
Don't waste your money
>>
>>954265
Bigger sediment has the potential to damage most filters, so wrapping a cotton bandana or something similar around the end of your filter before drinking goes a long way
>>
>>953620
Not essential, but of you're inexperienced, a bottom of the line Garmin GPS is a good investment if you're going off the beaten path. You should still learn basic orienteering. Electronics can fail at any time. Definitely don't count on your phone.
>>
>>954265
>going full shill for no reason
Kek.
I have a sawyer mini and works great. Yeah it's a bit slow but for 20 bucks I can't ask for anything better.
>>
>>954194
>>954276
Everyone has an opinion about MH. I think it's about 200-230 calories per serving. The breakfast ones are good with tortillas. The chili-mac is awesome. I think it's more used because of convenience than anything.

Anyone have alternatives to MH?
>>
>>953620
Buy cheap ass shit to start with. Keep a /out/ journal and add/upgrade on what you find to be lacking in terms of your own level of acceptable comfort and safety.

I used to be fine with a tarp, paracord, knife, Bic lighter, purification tabs, a compass and a .22lr.
15 years later, I'm looking at 5th wheels.
>>
>>954290
>think it's more used because of convenience than anything.
Also Costco.

Regarding OP, is there a falconguide/logical increments when it comes to /out/ gear?
>>
>>953870
Nothing like camping with a demonic dog-bear and a pistol packing owl. I'm not sure which one I'd be more afraid of.
>>
>>953620
>sks
>ghillie zuit
>tactical assult pack with molle webbing
>>
For the people asking: there is no recommended gear list or sticky because
>dedicated gear at similar price points is comparable barring some shitty companies
>gear is dependent on region
>>
File: My-cook-setup.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
My-cook-setup.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
This is my cook set.

I paid less than these prices too so shop around.
>>
File: my-water-setup.jpg (565KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
my-water-setup.jpg
565KB, 1920x1080px
This is my water setup.

I paid less than these prices too, because i'm a good wheeler/dealer.

I used an olt on/off valve from my camelback before the quick-disconnect on my bladder hose so it didn't shoot out when disconnected.

Had a pic but can't find it. Sorry.
>>
File: my-utility-setup.jpg (808KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
my-utility-setup.jpg
808KB, 1920x1080px
This is what I call my utility setup. It's for improvising to solve problems and such.

Again, paid less than what you see here. Use your jew-fu like me and find good deals.
>>
>>953620

Spend all 500 on the cheap ass moras.
>>
>>954414
I would exchange the rechargeable headlamp for one that runs on batteries. Can easily carry extra batteries.
>>
>>954253
>fag who can't give enough suction
>>
File: 20161123_145948.jpg (3MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_145948.jpg
3MB, 2560x1536px
>>954461
Why would you rec throw-away tech over rechargeable?
>>
>>954194
Mountain House is the best available. I've never had their breakfasts expert the granola and blueberries, which was mediocre, but their dinners are straight-up delicious. I buy a couple of their "bucket" collections (which are priced better than the individuals) every summer and always enjoy my meals
>>
File: exos 48.jpg (336KB, 993x1500px) Image search: [Google]
exos 48.jpg
336KB, 993x1500px
for your small budget, you cannot beat this pack with anything else available on Amazon. Shits on the heavy shit tier packs always listed here
>>
>>954286
I have a Sawyer mini and it's straight-up acceptable. You've clearly never used a hand-pumping filter.
>>
>>954541
Like I said you can carry extra batteries in your pack and your gtg. A 4pack of good name batteries will last at least 5 years unused.

Your little solar panel is adorable, but what if your are in deep woods with no sun? What if it is overcast for your entire trip? What if you forget to charge it up b4 you leave, and it dies at 8:30 at night....
>>
>>954541
>why not just carry 50lbs of solar panels instead of your quarter pound of batteries? :^)
>>
>>953640
>https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487455904&sr=8-1&keywords=mora
The 65L (or 4000ccm) backpack by Teton is actually cheaper right now and hold more.
>>
>>954356
I would say the pistol packing owl because apparently you can body slam canines.
>>
>>954607
I agree, the mountain house ones are surprisingly good. The backpackers pantry brand though is nearly as good, and has different choices.

The mountain house beef stroganoff is my favorite.

The breakfast ones with eggs are only ok because the eggs definitely taste like dehydrated eggs. The biscuits and gravy though is very good, and the granola and blueberries isn't bad, although bringing your own granola and powdered milk is just as easy.
>>
For car camping in NC spend some money on a decent tent, a warm sleeping bag, and a good air mattress. Get a good Coleman camp stove some pots and pans and a good cooler. For starting out don't go with the Gucci shit, see if you like it first then slowly build up a good kit depending on if you want to go backpacking or build car camping into rv camping. Oh and get a good quality knife, esee Benchmade something of that level. The Mora's are great cheap knives, but in the end they're cheap knives and that's the last thing you want failing on you in the woods. Since you'll be car camping get a good axes as well for processing firewood. Then get yourself out and camp! Once you've done it a while you'll know what you want.
>>
>>954680
>overwhelming tardness

You win the stupid sign.
>>
>>954461
I have 3 headlamps; a black diamond, the foxelli shown, and a princeton tec. two of the three run on AAAs and they all have their different uses. I just prefer my rechargeable Foxelli for camping and use my princeton tec for working in the dark.
>>
>>954918
Don't be like this guy and spend 20% of your budget on a knife. You'll literally use it for nothing. At most you'll cut some rope with it and maybe open a bag of mountain house lasagna with it.

If you're prepared, a knife just doesn't get used. You're not bushcrafting your shelter, you're not batoning wood.

If you want a good knife, sure go for it, but it's not really needed. I've been backpacking for years, and I think I've used my cheap knife maybe a handful of times.

If you're planning on hunting, processing game, or bushcrafting it's another story. If you're just starting to car camp, don't buy an expensive knife.
>>
File: YFZUC.jpg.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
YFZUC.jpg.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
>>954896
fug that shit, this stuff is paramedic tested & approved
>>
>>955006
Why do I care if paramedic tested pasta sides? What does that prove to me?
>>
>>955006
What's even funnier is I'm the paramedic who asked about those sides, and the guy you were responding to.
>>
>>953640
>Dat backpack
Based anon.
>>
>>953620
If you're going to shop on amazon check prices on camelcamelcamel.com. It has the price history for items on amazon You can so a search on the website or paste the URL from amazon. Then youll know when it's a good time to buy
>>
>>954199
I wish I could go with you anon.
>>
>>953620
I'd suggest investing in the three most important things:
>good hiking boots
>knife
>sleeping bag

Work from there. If one of these three sucks, your trip will probably turn to shit.

Other stuff that is also important but less specific.
>axe
>cooking utensils (stove and pans and shit)
>first aid kit
>>
>>955304
Lol, expensive knife?

If you're relying on a knife while /out/, you're just unprepared. They serve nearly no purpose.

I've never spent more than $20 on a knife for backpacking and I've been camping/hiking/backpacking for the last 20+ years.
>>
>>955304
A good knife and sleeping bag are worthless if your shelter sucks.

Get a good tent, a good sleeping pad, and a good sleeping bag, pair that with good boots.nearly everything else you can cheap out on. It's nice to have a good pack, but if you're not hiking more than 5 miles, nearly any cheap pack will do fine.
>>
Is a hammock inadvisable for a beginner?
>>
>>955536
No, but a tent is more comfortable for a beginner. You would like it much more.
>>
>>955536
If you do go the hammock route and the weather is a bit chillier you should do some research...its pretty easy to freeze your ass of in a hammock. They are comfy though.
>>
>>955536
A tent is easier. You just set it up and sleep inside.

A hammock takes work. You have to fiddle, and find what works for you, between suspensions, different hammock fabrics and weights, different tarps, under quilts ect ect. Part of why I love hammocks is how you can adjust each piece to exactly what you like. It'a not hard, it just takes more thinking to sleep in a hammock than a tent.
>>
What's a good 60-65L backpack that I can make an investment in that will last me a long time? At the moment I'm looking into the new osprey packs (atmos, aether ag) because of the mesh ventilation and the lifetime warranty. The aether seems heavy, but has literally everything.
There's also the new Paragon line from gregory that's piqued my interest, since it's lighter. Any help or recs?

Stores in my country have mostly older versions of backpacks or none at all if it's a newer line, so I can't test now.
>>
>>956279
It's all about the fit. I was very interested in the Atmos, tried it on at REI and it didn't feel right at all. Apparently, I have a "long torso".
>>
>>954414
>>954461
Simple solution is to get the Black Diamond Revolt, you can recharge the batteries it comes with or just use any standard AAA batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAEZCMQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34YJNMZ3JCYUQ&coliid=I9YO8VHGQ8WGO&psc=1

>>953640
Instead of the Morakniv Outdoor, go for the Morakniv Bushcraft, it's a little thicker and longer and also made from Stainless Steel instead of Carbon Steel. The blade will last longer if you're in a wetter climate. It is a little more expensive but on like $10ish.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FYJU9A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34YJNMZ3JCYUQ&coliid=IRWRRZIDSOW0Y
>>
>>956279
I have an Aether 70 that I have used for about 6 years. It doesn't hold great if you load up around 50lb+, but if your total pack is closer to 30-40lb it is great. Mine is still in good condition everywhere other than the parts a porcupine chewed through.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.