[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hypothetically speaking, you are wanted by local mafia group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: help.jpg (32KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
32KB, 480x454px
hypothetically speaking, you are wanted by local mafia group and have to skip town
hypothetically speaking, you have no skills, are a NEET, and decide to go /innawoods/ for the rest of your life because you're already depressed anyway
so you have 500 dollars to spend on supplies, and just the clothes on your back, and absolutely no knowledge of survival, camping, hiking, or fishing. You have 1 week to prepare

What do you buy? what books do you bring with you?

please anons, I really really want your input.
>>
If this was a real situation and you only had $500 I would make sure my book/field guide budget was quite robust. Yes you'll need suplpies to keep you alive while you learn and figure it all out, but knowledge is the only thing that'll keep you alive forever.

You'll need some books on shelters and bushcraft, but also all about hunting and fishing techniques (make sure iyou get a field guide local to your area that covers both flora and fauna), growing/harvesting, foraging, preserving food, etc. Don't be a McCandless.

Also realistically it'll be worthwhile to grab some materials on lockpicking, stealth camping, general hoboism, and clothing/shoe repair.

Alternatively there's the witness protection program.
>>
Personally I would take John Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook for basic general knowledge. You can find it in pdf format as well. Also I would pick some book with good images, descriptions and handling procedures about local fauna, berries and mushrooms.

Based on SAS-book you could prepare surival-gear pack.

Things where you want to invest : good shoes (one's that are easy to repair and lasts long time), Functional set of clothes suitable for different weather-conditions and seasons depending where you live. Good sleeping bag and backbag (one with some sort of frame).

When picking gear you should pick ones that you can repair on the road (materials that are durable, sewable or ones you can replace with materials you can find on nature).

You want good axe, good knife and cooking set. Saw. Way to secure source of water. Way to make fire : firesteel (matches (packed water-tight), and lighter for emergencies). Compass. Basic set of fishing gear. Some first aid kit.

You also should take some food as foraging, fishing and hunting are not dependable foodsources, especially if you are inexperienced and if the season isn't right.

More experienced you are less you need gear. Also your location sets some requirements for your gear. Living on swamp is different than living on mountains, hills or forests. Also how strong is the change of seasons. Arctic winter takes lots of expertise and more gear to survive and is scarce on foodsources etc etc etc...
>>
>>953323

Also this : hoboism takes less effort different skills than disappearing in the forests. In wilderness you can get killed quite easily - drinking bad water and getting in such weak condition that you eventually fade away, getting foodpoisoning from rotten or poisonous food or getting dehydrated or starving, freezing to death etc... Your chance of getting killed by animals is less probable than getting killed by aforementioned reasons. Even experienced survivalists get killed sometimes. Even if you can fish and forage it's possible to starve little by little without even noticing it. Hunger is not only thing you need to follow there, other things tell lot more of your body's nutrition, hydation and condition etc etc
>>
>>953323
>>953330
thanks anons, will begin to look into this stuff

>>953333

hoboism is so degenerate though + most hobos have mental illness/drug problems and hang around dirty cities. in this hypothetical situation, the person doesn't want to be around other hobos
>>
>>953335
>hoboism is so degenerate though + most hobos have mental illness/drug problems and hang around dirty cities. in this hypothetical situation, the person doesn't want to be around other hobos
yes but a lot of that stuff might come in handy from time to time. you don't just disappear into the wild and never come across a town or city or civilization ever again. nah you might need to rifle through some dumpsters or evade security guards or fix your shoes or whatever, eventually.
>>
File: sapere aude.jpg (33KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
sapere aude.jpg
33KB, 500x281px
>>953323
Alri
>>
>>953336
interesting. so you can't just find a secluded lake and fish/use it as a water source?

also in this hypothetical scenario, it would be in black bear territory in the northwestern part of the US. is it possible to survive without a gun?
>>
Step 1. Go to the gym and roll dice everyday to buff your strength beyond belief.
Step 2. Go to woods. When in need of food, just chase down anything you can find and pound it into mush with your 99 str.
Step 3. Live forever in solitude.
>>
>>953318

Water filter
Knife
Plastic tarp
Compass
Fishing line
Flint & steel
Windable flashlight/radio

And you're golden.
>>
>>953345

Also metal pot.
>>
>>953318
>hypothetically
>>
>>953318
Actually "living" innawoods for longer periods is a meme Im afraid - at least for 99,99% of people. You might wan't to watch some of the "Alone" reality TV program. The main problem people face is getting a stable and plentifull food source and lonelyness. The ones that do best have luck with fishing (nets and lines) and are good at keeping themselves occupied with varius projects and activities. And even they cry ocasionally and tap out after a month or two.

Now unlike the participants on "Alone" you have some more options, most impartantly - in my opinion - bringing more gear to get food and then books.
For food I'd bring firearms with plenty of ammunition. Maybe a shotgun for birds and small game would be a good idea, but this all depends on where you live. I assume that this "innawoods" area is very large so that you'd be able to hunt somewhat unnoticed - otherwise you likely can't disappear in it anyways. I would also brind several nets and lines, along with fishing poles for entertainment.

For books I would personally not bring too many "guides". Maybe one like Rays Mears Essential Bushcraft or something. Other than that I'd bring a good book about local edible flora and one or more about hunting/trapping/fishing. Finally I'd bring several good books for pure reading pleasure. They should be aclaimed classics that have depth and are worth reading again.

Agree with the other posts about clothing and gear that suits your enviroment all seasons. Keep it to the basics.

But OP, can you tell us more about your purely hypothetical situation? I'm curious.
>>
>>953345
this feels like a meme, anon, i feel like i definitely need more than this
>>953349
im aware of that. even a few months might be good to clear this persons mind though and start somewhere new. the only problem is firearms, they are too expensive and way out of the budget. what about a decent compound bow?

not much to tell you in this totally hypothetical story. this person owes gambling debts to some bad people from Vietnam. said vietnamese are known for showing up to people's houses and taking them away to god knows where.
>>
>>953318
>NEET
>wanted by mafia
Choose one
You're probably running away from home
>>936875 is the thread for you
>>
>>953363
exactly, its a completely fabricated what if story, anon.
>>
>>953354
Shit man good luck to this hypothetical person.
I believe hunting with bows is a thing with a steep learning curve, but of course bringing a bow wouldn't do any harm. It will also be something to kill time with. But yeah, if firearms aren't an option fishing and >maybe< simple gardening will be your best bets (depending on season, and go for easy crops like potatoes/beans ect.). Hell, if we're only talking a few months you could just bring a shit-ton of rice or flour and hope to catch fish along with this - maybe bringing some multi vitamin pills as well to keep healthy despite the uniform diet.
I'd really put an emphasis on meaningfull activities that could keep me uccupied. Fishing and books are as mentioned my best ideas. Maybe - if there's enough food - something like building a log cabin, provided that you can haul the tools out there.
>>
>>953373
what are your thoughts on coming across an abandoned cabin and setting up shop there? i see lots of youtube videos of people exploring abandoned houses/sheds in the woods. apart from the spoopiness factor, is it illegal to camp out in them if they are clearly abandoned?

this would put me in better spot than when mccandless found that bus.
>>
>>953378
Haha, funnily I'm actually reading Krakauer's "Into the Wild" on McCandles these days. It's a very interesting read so far. McCandles died because of starvation and no means of comunicating for help. Why he ended up in that situation is a longer story that I won't get into here.

Many abandoned cabins are visited by hunters and hikers from time to time, so you might get a visit sometime or you might not. Other than that I think it could be a fine idea. Maybe try to establish a garden aroung the cabin and tidy up the place?
>>
Did this when I was 18 and my parents kicked me out.
Lived in a very well hidden tent next to a campsite that had bathrooms/drinkable water. I tried the whole live of the land thing but it doesn't really work, had to pick bottles for food and take leftovers from the campsites, the winter is fucking aids too. Eventually moved to the coast and rented out a really cheap garage near the outskirts, started fishing and picking berries in season for food, used my bottle money for a cheap laptop.

Wouldn't ever try to live full innawoods, it's an easy way to get killed/die. Spend the $500 on a bus ticket and renting out a really cheap place in the middle of no where next to a place you can fish, get a knife, fishing rod (no idea how you live off the land without fishing), a tent or sleeping bag and a cooking device.
>>
>>953392
how the fuck am i going to find a place to rent thats somehow under $500?

here's the master plan lads

-60 day supply of MRE's, Powdered Milk/Eggs, and Rice, could stretch to 90 days if needed ($150)
-First 60 days are focusing on learning to hunt/forage and reading up as much as possible while falling back on MREs
-Staying mobile during this time, making sure to venture deeper into the brush and learn my surroundings
-Find spot that is ideal or abandoned cabin
-By now it will be spring and there should be plenty of game around
-By summer, (if still alive), have acquired significant knowledge and preparing for winter
>>
>>953318
hypothetically speaking, you should man the fuck up and face your problems head on
hypothetically speaking, I doubt any 4chinz autist has screwed the mob so bad that they are going to be killed no matter what
>>
>>953872
>abandoned cabin
This never happens. People don't spend years of their live building something with their bare hands and then suddenly up and decide to find someplace to do all that work again for no reason. You may find one that's not currently in use, but that doesn't mean you wont wake up one morning with a shotgun against your forehead.

>spring and there should be plenty of game
That's not how that works. Most animals are practically devoid of calories in the spring. You're better off just eating the spring greens and hunting in the fall when animals have some fat on them.

>By summer, (if still alive), have acquired significant knowledge
Just because you're exposed to something for a little while, doesn't mean you'll gain any skill regarding it. If you don't believe that, just look at all the sixty year old homeless people living in corporate America.

If it were me, I'd download a dump off of Wikipedia (and kick them back some of that $500; servers are expensive), so that you have access to the majority of the information you'll need and have limitless reading material. You just need a solar charger and a cheap prepay smart phone. You may also want to download a few field guides and especially foraging guides.

As far as gear goes: The more knowledge you have, the less gear you require; I'm capable with a knife, comfortable with a sleeping bag, pad, tarp, filter and lighter, burdened with much more than that.

Are you the writer from the salted/jerked thread?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.