[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does /out/ gets its information about gear and outdoors from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

Where does /out/ gets its information about gear and outdoors from?
>>
>>952331
In general, probably just /out/. It's a constant cycle of swallowing it's own regurgitated memes.
>>
>>952331
Is an amputee on a slip-and-slide, or is that just pink water?
>>
>>952331
ideally: experience
a lot of it is trial and error. luckily some of my closest /out/ friends have different approaches and are in different tax brackets, so when we go out we get to compare functionality

other than that: reviews (always read before buying), forums, and ray mears type shows.

i do more research than most, but my strategy all along has been to buy the cheap version and see where it breaks/is uncomfortable so i know what to spend the money on the expensive version
>>
>>952335
Are there any respectful /out/doors magazines or websites?
>>
>>952341
>my strategy
That's pretty solid. I typically find I can do without something I thought i needed anyway, so no sense in paying for the expensive shit right out of the gate.

>>952344
If there is, I haven't found it. Today's society is largely about making as much money as possible with a total disregard for ethics, so most out-type magazines and websites just shill whatever gives them the most kickbacks for reviews.

Some of my best (reliable and light weight) gear is just tin cans and PVC pipe. Fewer possible points of failure.
>>
>>952349
Yeah you're right. I was just reading gearjunkie and then there's this article with ****sponsored by leatherman. at least they're upfront with it. But it's hard to give unbias reviews if you're getting money from a company that you're supposed to write about.
>>
>>952331
Common sense and experience should tell you what you want out of your gear. Then you simple have to find gear that meets your requirement. Also I've found that through trial and error most people will reach similar conclusions about their gear so just ask fellow outists, and by that I mean people that actually go outside not this larper nest.
>>
>>952353
Usually "sponsored by" means that it's a constructed ad, rather than an article, but yeah, that is still more honest than most [for instance] YouTube videos that "review" gear and get get kickbacks on.

>>952354
>your requirement
Very true. If I'm going fishing I take a good fishing pole, if I'm hiking I take my spindle (the PVC pipe >>952349 ) because it's much smaller, lighter and has no moving parts that can rust or break. There's no such thing as 'the best gear', just the best gear for that purpose at that time.
>>
File: V8cXdS2.jpg (2MB, 2720x4080px) Image search: [Google]
V8cXdS2.jpg
2MB, 2720x4080px
>>952331
>187 KB, 600x900
>>
I'd say I get a lot of info here. It's "check out what I bought". Then I wait for the "that's shit, I have 5 of them" or "those are so good I bought 5".
>>
>>952376
But a good share of the regular posters are people that don't actually get /out/ and use the gear. Lotsa role-players on the Chan.

I'm not saying don't consider the advice you get on /out/, just always use common sense and verify it with other sources.

>inspired by /out/, verified by google
>>
>>952331
Trial and error or word of mouth.
>>
>>952341
>>952349
thanks. if i ended up with an emotional attachment to (or just really liked) the cheap version i'll usually try to fix after it breaks. that gives me the chance to get a little /diy/ with it and more confident with modifying gear or making field expedients/repairs.
the whole process gets me more comfortable with bushcraft.
that said- i'll rarely bring the new-cheap-thing on a solo trip.
>>
>>952344
I have a subscription to backpacker magazine. They shill expensive gear, that's not always the best gear, but every magazine has lots of info on trails, which is pretty cool. It was like $10 for a year subscription.
>>
>>952331

Equipped.org used to be great but is mostly dead these days. It was mostly gear focused but the site had decent ideas (Doug Ritter is very well respected in the community) and gives extensive information on where and how to learn stuff.
>>
>>952331
hehe nipples...
>>
Generally first hand experience of people I know - or yeah, /out/. You guys are alright.

The Stanley stainless with nesting cups is something I acquired on /out/ advice. Also a MSR Whisperlite Universal.

>>952382
This is what I do, generally speaking.
>>
>>952888
I laughed louder than I should have
>>
>>952336
I just see nipplets anon
glorious hard nipplets
*POINK*
>>
>>952370
Nice.
Do you fuckers seriously not know about BPL and all the other fantastic hiking sites?
>>
>>952344
I like outdoorgearlab.com for their reviews. I haven't found them to lead me too far wrong.
>>
>>954355
Me too, pretty solid reviews there and no shilling for anything it seems.
>>
>>952370
>hip fat

D R O P P E D
>>
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.