[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is pic related going to be a good sleeping bag for /out/ings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 412CFSWR_2BLL_1024x1024.jpg (30KB, 391x500px) Image search: [Google]
412CFSWR_2BLL_1024x1024.jpg
30KB, 391x500px
Is pic related going to be a good sleeping bag for /out/ings? Also sleeping bag/quilt general.

I will be backpacking and plan on doing a thru hike of one of the big 3.

If anyone has a better recommendation that is affordable like this one please fill me in.

Thanks all.
>>
How about posting either a link, or brand and model name, retard, or even a description like fill type and amount.

ffs.

from the picture, it looks like shit.
>>
>>951738
feathered friends or western mountaineering

end thread
>>
>>951771
Enlightened Equipment, Katabatic Gear, Loco Libre, Zpacks.

While we're mentioning $300 dollar bags
>>
>>951766
Roger that.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Tracker-Ultralight-Sleeping-Backpacking/dp/B00DDP3DZ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487209606&sr=8-3&keywords=teton+sports+sleeping+bag
>>
>>951771
Too expensive, me poorfag
>>
>>951801
How are their quilts? I may opt for a quilt in the future when im no longer in debt to the man.
>>
File: 1486714708753.jpg (731KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1486714708753.jpg
731KB, 1920x1080px
Im using pic related as a guide
>>
>>951738
Are they good? Not really

Are they bad? Not really

They are a fine cheap bag, but for a thru hike, they are much too heavy and pack way too large. My brother has one. It's a fine bag for an overnight, but it's not for a thru hike.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (446KB, 1600x1196px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
446KB, 1600x1196px
Are surplus "sleep systems" worth the $125?
>>
Marmot makes some not shit tier bags for cheap. Any Dicks will carry some, just get one rated 10-20 below what you think you need. You can always open it up to cool off.
>>
>>951954
Heavy as fuck compared to a civilian bag you could get for the same price
>>
>>951968
Not backpacking. Will a normie bag give me the same temperature range or will I just end up with 3 different bags?
>>
>>951971
>Not backpacking
Then sure why not.
>>
>>951954
These are enormous and extremely heavy. If you are carrying it at all, definitely do not buy.

But if you are car camping, then they work just fine. They will definitely keep you warm.
>>
>>951738
Would 5 degrees Fahrenheit really be necessary for any of the big 3 trails? I couldn't see it being needed for the AT. Maybe the CDT through the rockies or PCT in the sierras.
>>
>>951954
A slightly cheaper and much lighter civilian version would be to combo a thermolite extreme liner, an SOL escape bivvy and any cheap light bag (even a 50F bag will get you to about 15F with these items).
>>
>>952312
Depends on a lot of factors. Are you using down or synthetic? If you're using down, will you have a chance to let it properly dry? Are you getting a WM bag that gets rated by a generous rater? Will you have an adequate UQ or ground pad?
>>
>>952312
For a typical AT NOBO thru hike, a 20 degree setup is all you'd need, and only for early spring down south, and fall in New England.
>>
>>951954
The Army ECWSS negates the need for a tent if the gortex is in good shape.
>>
>>952601
The bivy works in a pinch, but I wouldn't rely on it. It builds condensation inside easy, and gore tex is well known for leaking.
>>
>>951738
I just field tested the one on the left. Pretty snug even for a skinny guy like me. Super soft. However i'd rate it for like -8°C not -15°C
>>
>>953285
I'd agree with that. I just received the one on the right from amazon. I just wish it weighed less for backpacking. I'm looking at some light weight shelter options. maybe a tent tarp or one man tent...
>>
>>953293
>wish it weighed less for backpacking
The weight is pretty standard as far as a basic synthetic bag goes. With teton you really get what you pay for if not more
>lightweight shelter options
Have you tried hammocking. Also Outdoor Research and probably some other companies make a bug net bivy. Basically a waterproof membrane floor with noseeum mesh on top. Get that, a ground cloth and a good tarp and you're set
>>
File: igneo.jpg (95KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
igneo.jpg
95KB, 630x420px
I'm looking at getting the REI Igneo 19F bag

My question is will this bag be too hot in the spring/summer? I live in Washington state and would be camping here. I usually go car camping but really want to start primitive camping when I get gear that's light enough (why I'm getting the Igneo) and a backpack to hold the stuffs.
>>
>>951738
Just bought the 20+ version on Sunday while it was $36, down from $60; still that price on Amazon.
>>
>>955855
Sleeping bags are generally uncomfortable as fuck 10+ degrees outside their recommended temperature. It's easier to pack up a 40+ bag with thermal underwear for 20 degree camping, but the only way to keep a 20 degree bag from being an absolute furnace at 50 degrees is to just unzip it completely. There are also weight savings to consider.

Sweating at night sucks. Get the right bag for the right temperature.
>>
>>955901
The EN comfort rating is 30F, I don't know if that changes your answer. What degree bag would you recommend for WA state camping? 3 season bag
>>
Anybody have a recommendation for a sleeping bag liner? for a relatively poorfag
>>
File: b410h00EE7B14.jpg (69KB, 700x397px) Image search: [Google]
b410h00EE7B14.jpg
69KB, 700x397px
>>954533
Never tried hammocking. Looked into it and I just don't think i'd be comfortable. Most successful hammock setups entail a top quilt and bottom quilt for ease of movement. I don't see how a sleeping bag in a hammock would be a good way to go.

Plus I toss in my sleep and might wake up with my face in the ground.

Looking at getting a tarp from harbor freight and just tarp camping.
>>
>>956066
It's almost impossible to fall out of a gathered end hammock, even tossing and turning all night.
>>
>>951954
It is pretty big and heavy but you have to consider that it is basically 3 sleeping bags and according to the tags on it depending on what configuration you have it in, it is good from 50 to -50. I have one, haven't had a chance to use it yet...but I have thought about getting a smaller stuff sack and just taking the green bag with me, it is good to 30 degrees and it seems like it compresses down quite alot.
>>
File: 1465209836451.jpg (167KB, 450x509px) Image search: [Google]
1465209836451.jpg
167KB, 450x509px
Thoughts on the Austrian Sniper Sleeping bag? Is it warm enough?
>>
>>955855
>>955932
i bought one a couple weeks ago for summer trips in the high sierra. weight/compression was just too good at that price. but i'm a little dubious about the temp rating, based off the weight. i'm going to give it a test run close to home before i commit to the mountains with it.

>>955901
>40 degree bag with thermals for 20 degree camping
you know how i know you've never actually been out before? temp ratings are based on wearing thermals, socks, and a hat inside the bag, plus having a substantial pad.
>>
>>955855
I got one of those to camp in Death Valley this January. It packs up pretty small (16L stuffsack from REI, but it mashes down about 8" long and similar across). I was car camping and sleeping in a tent.

Lows overnight were in the 30's to low 40's. First night I wore a fleece and heavy wool socks to bed and woke up strangely uncomfortable...turns out I was too warm. After that, it was fine wearing socks, light wind pants, and a T-shirt to bed.

I looked at the REI 29 F bags and decided on the 19 F model, figuring it's easier to unzip it and/or take off clothing. I go on a camping trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan every July and I'm not sure this will be a great bag for that (lows could be in the 40's or the 70's depending on the year). What will the lows be like when and where you camp?

DESU if you are car camping a cheaper (synthetic fill) bag may be more cost-competitive for now. I bought more bag than I probably needed, but since I flew to Death Valley I had to worry about airline weight. Overweight bag charges would have just about covered the difference between a down and synthetic bag.
>>
>>957443
Look at its temperature rating (the comfort zone, not the "extreme"!)
>>
File: fuse-12.jpg (140KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
fuse-12.jpg
140KB, 700x800px
I'm thinking of getting this but do you think it would be too small the internal length is 205 but it says for people up to 190cm. I'm 197
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.