[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Girlfriend bought me a Becker BK2 for Valentine's day. Thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 31

File: becker-bk2-bestbushcraft.jpg (29KB, 456x312px) Image search: [Google]
becker-bk2-bestbushcraft.jpg
29KB, 456x312px
Girlfriend bought me a Becker BK2 for Valentine's day. Thought on this knife? Also what's a good sharpening system for hiking, camping, backpacking?
>>
File: Gone campin.jpg (106KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Gone campin.jpg
106KB, 720x960px
>>950994
Nice, I really like the BK line, I have a BK-15 (pic related) I think the BK-2 is just a little stocky for my tastes, but it's pretty much unbreakable unless you are really trying. btw the Micarta handles are worth it, once they break in and wear down a bit they feel great.

Of course a lot of people here are going to complain about it being "way too heavy".

As for sharpening, how long we talking about camping? Unless you are like hiking for weeks, you really don't need to bring a sharpener with you, just a nice sharp edge to start.

I'm a sharpening junkie, so I use a Wicked Edge for normal knives, and I have other set ups for other things.

I would recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker for starts, it's easy to learn, and very versatile, I still use mine with my Wicked Edge for serrations. It's not great for moving a lot of material though, it's strength is in maintaining a edge. If the knife is really dull or you need to re profile, you may want to get some oil stones and practice with those for the rough work.
>>
I'll look into those sharpeners. I've never had any knives worth investing in sharpeners. Me and my gf are going on a 3 day hike in mountains and I'm going to be taking one solo this year. Also going to use the BK for my hunting and fishing. Just planning on getting more active outdoors in general now.
>>
>>951018
Honestly learn to use a whetstone in my opinion. Not only then can you sharpen your outdoors knifes you'll be able to sharpen every one you own. You'll need to buy at least 2 (one medium and one fine grit) and watch some videos on how to sharpen with them. Not too difficult to learn and it's super satisfying being able to bring any knife you own to razor sharp.
>>
File: 4559.jpg (36KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
4559.jpg
36KB, 500x496px
>>950994
nice knife
3 days shouldn't need a field sharpening kit. but if you insist on a field sharpening system, i would recommend the turnbox it's easy to use and learn.
or try the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener, I've heard good things.
or maybe try Fallkniven DC3 or DC4 (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SWEDFNDC3/fallkniven-diamondceramic-whetstone-3-x-1-75-x-25-mm) I'm going to get one and several other stones to learn how to sharpen freehand.

>>951005
>Spyderco Sharpmaker
%60+, don't bother. get the Lansky 4 Rod Turnbox on knifecenter. it's on sale for $25. the Sharpmaker is for sharpening scissors and a whole crap load of other things, the turnbox is great for just knives.

>>951097
Ka-Bar will sharpen your knives for free, all you need to do is pay for shipping both ways. A thought to keep in mind when youre knife needs to be profiled.
>>
>>950994
never use a pull through sharpener.

never put oil on your stones unless you know for sure they were oiled beforehand, stick with plain old water or nothing.
>>
File: Tracker in Wicked Edge 3.jpg (411KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Tracker in Wicked Edge 3.jpg
411KB, 2048x1536px
>>951111
If OP ever has the intention of sharpening serrations, the versatility of the Sharpmaker is hard to beat.. Granted most people hate serrations (my self included). Although one thing about the Sharpmaker is that it is expandable, they have more stones for it, idk about the one you are suggesting though.

Yeah I forgot to mention the work sharp, and it can be used for minor repofiles as well, just if one makes sure not to over heat the blade.

I may specifically get one for sword sharpening. I typically use a 1x30 belt sander for machetes, axes, scythes, ect.. but I'm a bit hesitant with swords, don't want to ruin the polish of a $600 sword by accident.
>>
>>951119
Well it really depends on the stone... I find most common whetstones (like most Nortons) really seem to work best with oil. And of course Japanese Water Stones, are water stones.
>>
>>950994

You should break up with her. It's a shit knife that is more of a sharpen brick.
>>
>>951266
That's kind of the purpose of a general survival knife. Take a beating and keep on doing what it's supposed to.
>>
>>951266
>end a relationship with someone because they didn't get you want you wanted
ok brat

also, it's a fine knife. deal with it
>>
>>951130
Second, tried water with my stones then oil and oil was noticeably better.
>>
>>950994
>Knife

That's not a knife. It's a barely sharpened pry-bar, and will be about as useful at cutting things as hitting it with a literal pry bar would be.
>>
>>951467
Youre fucking retarded
>>
>>951497

https://youtu.be/krZJUj70r1c

Enjoy video proof of your stupidity.
>>
>>951097
It's a slight bit more difficult than you think on a whetstone. I wouldn't use your favorite knife on it until you get the motions down.
>>
File: Gavko knives..jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gavko knives..jpg
64KB, 800x600px
>>951499
I own two Gavko knives, a t-Rex and EDC (pic related), and love them, and I love his philosophy.. That being said he is an amazing designer, not all thin knives are going to preform this well. Also, he is putting a $80 knife against his $250+ knives. And if you are not perfectly holding the knife vertically, it will break, unlike more beefy knives that are more forgiving.

Granted the BK-2 is an extreme, I agree it is too thick for it's length. If I were to get a BK-2 the first thing I would do is regrind it and thin the edge, exactly what I did to my Ontario SP-10.
>>
>>951499
Kek faggot the only thing that proves is youre too autistic to take a hit

Fuck you, fuck your retarded vid, fuck where you came from, kys
>>
>one of the most popular knives to hit the market EVER is trash because its 1/4 stock
>/out/
>>
>>951515
>>951521

The BK2 is so retardedly thick that it takes so much force to make cuts that it blunts FASTER than a thinner knife would.

A $20 Mora is better at EVERYTHING.
>>
>>951534
Sorry we triggered your autism lt. wright guy
>>
>>951534
A mora is not better at camp chores.

t. I have a mora and a bk10 and use them both
>>
>>951534
Mora makes great knives, and they are pretty much unbeatable for the price... but you really think they are going to compete with EVERYTHING out there? You think a Mora will out perform every knife in pic related in every way?
>>
>>951537
>>951544

A Mora will be better at every knife task than a Beker BK2, specifically.

The BK2 has a thicker geometry than most full size chopping knives. Think about how extremely silly that is.
>>
File: Ontario SP-10 reprofile.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Ontario SP-10 reprofile.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>951556
I completely agree the BK-2 has a needlessly thick geometry, hence what I said here >>951515

But I would rather take a BK-2 and give it a complete regrind, like I did my sp-10 in pic related (still planing to do more) than a Mora, if choosing between the two...
>>
>>951564
>the BK2 can make a fine knife if you grind a decent stock removal knife out of the 1/4" sheet of heat treated steel you get from Becker.

Ok, true, but I think that sort of misses the point of the criticism of the BK2, does it not?!
>>
I want a BK II folder, THAT would be cool!
>>
File: medford-md52blk-cm-large.jpg (87KB, 711x800px) Image search: [Google]
medford-md52blk-cm-large.jpg
87KB, 711x800px
>>951574

That already exists, it's called the Medford Praetorian.

It manages to be even more silly than the BK2 while delivering a similarly totally useless geometry in a folding knife for several times the price.
>>
File: Direware Hyper-90 CANCER.jpg (152KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
Direware Hyper-90 CANCER.jpg
152KB, 850x600px
>>951573
Yeah I agree the stock knife is way to thick... But I would not call it useless. It's maybe usable as a crow bar, but it's still a knife, not an efficient one, but you could get by with it.

>>951579
I would think the Medford actually has a thinner geometry. I would say Direware is even worse, pic related.
>>
>>951111
Does anyone make one of these but with the holes drilled at 30 and 25 degrees, respectively?
>>
>>951530
>popular=good
>>
>>951615
it's big enough to drill your own hole. all you need is one and you can a couple more holes in the center.
>>
>>951627
In this case, your gay little autistic ass is wrong. Bk2 is fine.
>>
File: image_18374.jpg (65KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_18374.jpg
65KB, 1200x1200px
>>951658

If you need one of these, then sure it's fine, but it seems a bit strange to spend $90 on one.
>>
>>951530
Nooo...

It's trash because it's trash. 1/4'' thick with retarded blade geometry, heavy, unwieldy, shall i go on?
>>
>>951682
>IMO

Agreed, IYO.
>>
>>951682
it's not any of those things except 1/4'' thick
>>
>>951327
"""Survival knife""" in otherwords "Fuckhuge knife which isnt good at anything".
>>
>>951682
t. someone who has never held a bk2
>>
>>951846

t. someone who doesn't use their knives to cut things.

Again, literal choppers have thinner geometries than a BK2. It's just throwing away cutting performance for no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>951853
t. Someone who will argue about nothing that cocerns him.
>>
>>951873

It does concern me. Every idiotic sharpened pry bar that sells creates perverse incentives for knife makers. I have to buy custom knives to get non idiotic geometries because every production maker knows they can save on heat treatment costs and quality control costs by making thicker knives that can get away with looser tolerances.
>>
>>951853
Dude youre such a fucking armchair warrior faggot. Youve never held one, have you? Youve never tried to cut anything with one, have you?
>>
>>951887
>this is the source of my PAIN
>ONLY I CAN SAVE THE INDUSTRY FROM THE CONSUMERS

>t. white knight complex drives my free time

You are some kind of self deluded.
>>
>>951915

Are you stupid perhaps? Thicker blades require more force to cut things, as a matter of simple physics.

Since it is well established that blades significantly thinner than a BK2 will stand up to use as choppers, it logically follows that the BK2 is much thicker than it needs to be, and therefore takes much more force to make cuts than necessary, and therefore is shit. QED.
>>
>>951917

Thankfully the tide is finally starting to turn against worthless 1/4" prybars despite clueless fucks like you still throwing away money on them.
>>
>>951853
B-but muh batoning

Fuck these people man, a fuckhuge knife like that is useless for processing game or doing basic camp chores (the only thing you really need a knife for!) But these autists never learned how to use tools and havent the slightest idea on how stupid they are.
>>
>>951923
It's my money and you can fuck your own jealousy in the ass, if you think I care about your autistic opinion.

Now I will support more thick blade manufactures just to spite your ridicules selfrighteousness.

Have fun masterbating on your keyboard!
>>
>>951921
Kek look at your faggot ass trying to talk around my question. Fuck you you god damn autist neckbeard roodypoo.
>>
>>951926
>>951923
>samefagging this hard
>>
>>951921
>i dont know shit except my fancy book learnin what keeps me from doin anythin stupid as gettin hands on expeeriunce what with the things i hate so much
>>
File: IMG_0047.jpg (15KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0047.jpg
15KB, 236x236px
>>951921
>simple physics
>>
File: Cold Steel Recon Tanto 5.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Recon Tanto 5.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>951921
I agree with you... people on this thread just seem to be over polarized idiots... that being said I still like the BK-2, yeah it's not efficient, but it has character, and sometimes a tank is just fun to use. As stated earlier (>>951515) I own two Gavkos, but I still carry my 24oz, .25 inch thick, Ontario SP-10 from time to time for the fun of it. Or even my CS Recon tanto, because it's just cool (imo)
>>
File: brickknife.jpg (125KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
brickknife.jpg
125KB, 500x334px
>>951822
keep deluding yourself.

On a different, but related note: What is it with bk2 retards getting this butthurt whenever someone points out how grossly inadequate their brick knife is?

Pictured: BricK2 next to an actual knife (Helle temagami)
>>
>>952023

The sunk cost fallacy.
>>
>>952065
yeah, that makes sense.
>>
File: 20170216_051159.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170216_051159.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
The factory sheath suck, imo.
>>
File: 20170216_051220.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170216_051220.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>952092
So I opted for a different carry and nicer scales.

It is a good knife. I have others I like more.
>>
File: 20161108_125358.jpg (405KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_125358.jpg
405KB, 1024x576px
>>952094

still a brick with a handle that is far from functional. And no - being able to simply hold the knife does not make a proper handle.

Try using a chest lever with that thing. Or any sort of carving more intricate than simple stock removal.

This is what a "good knife" looks like.
>>
>>952104
>"good knife"
>in quotes
>because "good" is subjective

Got it.
>>
>>952111
>subjective

not in this case. The knife I posted is only about 874623478 times better than a BK2.
>>
>>952111
>Subjective

Of course, I mean, what does how good a knife is at CUTTING THINGS have to do with how good a knife it is?

You should also buy a tent made of mesh, a sleeping bag filled with rocks, and a water canteen with a hole in the bottom.

Idiot.
>>
>>952104
I'd love to have a BK2 so I could see you around when /out/ and know you're raging deep down.
>>
>>952134
Ok, step off your soap box for a second here. The BK2 functions fine as a knife. It can cut and blah blah blah. That being said, NONE of the things you used as an example can their designed tasks because they're damaged, obstructed, or just a bad example of a point you were trying to make (because a tent made out of mesh on a summer night with no rain would be AMAZING where I'm at). Take a deep slow breath and go do something else. You're harping a point no one cares about and it's not going away any time soon. Maybe ever.
>>
>>952137

Have you ever used any /out/ knives that aren't complete shit? Try some and you'll see that the analogy is perfect precisely because the absurdly needlessly thick blade literally obstructs it from functioning properly in its intended use of cutting things.

No functional purpose or benefit is derived from it being way thicker than necessary (for the user), while many functional drawbacks are incurred.

It's like taking your existing hiking boots and doubling the weight for no reason. It just makes them worse at their intended role while providing no benefit.
>>
>>952135
More like laughing internally at how much unnecessary effort it will take you to acomplish basic tasks
>>
>>952141
No, what I'm saying is you're beating a dead horse because you hate something that doesn't matter.
>>
>itt that one dude who just cant hold his spaghetti whenever someone likes a bk2
>>
File: rsz_img_20170107_134434.jpg (169KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20170107_134434.jpg
169KB, 1328x747px
>>952094
Too bad our knives literally cant do anything knife related right?
I mean shit, mine is waaaaay too big and heavy to even hold for more than 2 mins at a time, let alone do any camp chores with.
>>
>>952162
It's actually at least two of us.

>>952213
>Hurr durr I can wear combat boots for a 5k run, that means they are as good as running shoes for running!

Congratulations.
>>
>>952210
I'm pretty sure anyone who knows the first thing about knives realises how hilariously bad the bk2 is.

And it never gets old when bk2 fanboys lose their shit.

"No, really guys, it's a good knife, i swear. Can I be cool like you?"
>>
>>952235
Oh yeah, that thread on the catalog is soooo annoying isnt it anon? You better go in there and let those plebs know how wrong they are.

Faggot.
>>
>>952232
Bitch please, youve never used one of these. Fuck yourself and your running shoes.
>>
>>952240

Sorry I'm not enough of an idiot to buy a knife thicker than most choppers that is too short to even chop with.
>>
>>952242
Enough of an idiot to keep arguing about it on 4chan without ever having touched one in real life, though. Faaaaag
>>
>>952259

read it and weep:

http://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2013/9/16/a-proper-knife.html
>>
>>952263
I've never had an issue with my BK7, it's served me reliably
I don't know what to say to you, man, sorry for liking my knife
>>
>>952301

Hilariously, the BK7 is much thinner than the BK2. The BK7 is 0.188" at the spine for a 7" blade actually capable of chopping while the BK2 is 0.250" thick and weighs a pound while being a handle heavy piece of shit.
>>
>>952263
>>952301
I think there is a gap in arguments here. One side is trying to prove that the BK-2 is an inefficient knife... This is true it is overbuilt and much thicker than it needs to be, thus it's less effective at cutting than it needs to be.

That being said, the other side of the argument: We don't care.. Just because it's not the most efficient knife, and even a very inefficient knife, one can still like it, and even prefer to use it.
>>
>>952310
No kidding? I was under the impression that the Becker line knives had the same spine width, and the BK7 is the only one I own
>>
>>952317

Yeah. Just contemplate that for a second. The much shorter BK2 is 33% THICKER than the actually useful for chopping BK7. It's hilarious.
>>
File: 20170106_182542.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170106_182542.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Dont listen to the autists. They've never owned it and listen to clickbait YouTube videos. I put these honduran rosewood handles on mine and finished it with gunstock stain, stripped the coat and polished the blade. It rusts very quickly if wet so beware. I dont mind polishing it and putting oil on it regularly though. Its not my go to knife but its indestructible and made to last.
>>
>>952381
>clickbait youtube videos

What are you even talking about? And I'm saying this as someone who actually likes the BK-2....
>>
>>952387
https://youtu.be/9tWCtvdjwUE
>>
>>952381
>indestructible

And that makes it a good knife how exactly?
I've had the dubious pleasure of using a bk2 once - never again.
The blade geometry on it is absurd, and so is the handle. Hell, the bk2 is LESS functional than a tbt1 - that's how silly it is.
>>
>>952213
I liked it before, but I love it now!

Knowing that it rips asshole's assholes just cracks me up!
>>
>>952410
So you picked like one click bait review out of literal pages? More so, I had to scroll down half a page of mostly positive reviews to find this video after searching "BK-2"...

What I'm getting at is, It's not fair to just assume every one who has an objection to the BK-2, did not just get this from watching a video.

They have legitimate arguments for why it's not an efficient knife, which it's not, and this video demonstrates it well (>>951499) ... But they seem to miss the point that you can like a knife for more than it's utility.
>>
>>952412
I dont hate your opinion. I even said that its not my go to knife, I'm saying that people are so ready to jump on the shitty band wagon because some guys made a 20 minute video on why it sucks. Some anon here even echoed exactly what the video said (muh bad blade geometry).
>>
>>952381
fuck yeah looks great
>>
File: Really stuffed Pelican 1500.jpg (463KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Really stuffed Pelican 1500.jpg
463KB, 2048x1536px
>>952438
Or maybe the video brought up the same point because it is the problem with the knife.

If Toyota put out a car that fell apart after 5,000 miles, and someone was on /o/ complaining their car fell apart after 5,000 miles, would you take "oh your just saying that because consumer reports said it". Cause that's what you are doing.

It's not like blade geometry is some abstract concept. It's very easy to understand, and literally every knife has it. I own 50-60ish knives, and among them is 3 distinct geometries with only a few categories per.
>>
>>952317

think you mean thickness, not width, but yeah, the bk7 is a reasonable .188 thick, 7 inch blade.
the bk2 is a 1/4'' thick, 5'' blade that's heavier (!) than the bk7.

>>952438
that's buyer's remorse talking, not you.
If it's such a great knife, and you like it so much, why don't you use it anymore? Probably same reason we've been getting at all this time - because it's too thick, too heavy, and too unwieldy compared to a proper knife (like the ones I posted ITT already).

Do me a favor - next time you're around some wood, get the bk2 and do a chest lever cut. If you still have your ribs afterward, you're doing it wrong.
>>
and since we're talking about youtube videos, here's one for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxuBi0Ci1eM

see any BK2s? No? Good.
Ironically, Mors' definition of a survival knife is "a pry bar that works wood really, really well".
Only his idea of an "indestructible pry bar knife" is a 1/8'' thick, full tang skookum bush tool (he used a ltwk lagom in one of the more recent videos) - that's the kind of knife you want.
The other knives I posted earlier were the helle temagami (Les Stroud design/collaboration with Helle), and a variation of the woodlore knife (Ray Mears).
Another very popular model (at least among people who know their stuff) is the lt wright genesis (1/8'' thick, 4'' kephart), or the bushcrafter (originally a blind horse knife, now made by both lt wright and battle horse knives, also a ~4'' kephart, with a slightly different handle).
See the pattern here? Modern steel, with the right heat treat, at 1/8'' thickness gives you tremendous durability, without fucking up your ability to perform any knife-related tasks far more efficiently, than something like a bk2.

Bottom line is - bk2 was made to fill a specific niche, which iss a polite way of saying it was designed for retards fantasising about "le hardcore survival"
>>
My BK II is great!
>>
>>952495
have you ever tried using an actual knife?
>>
>ITT: one literal autist triggered by the BK2

Did the dude who owns Kabar fuck your mom in the ass and not call her back the next day?
>>
>>952235
>hilariously bad the bk2 is.
>a popular knife used by a shit ton of outdoors people is bad because I say soooo!!!!

kys my man
>>
>>952508
by virtue of that "logic", goat fucking is also great, because millions of Arabs do it...

also - no, the BK2 is not used by a shit ton of "outdoors people" - it's used by autists who think they're outdoors people. Watch that video by Mors that I linked and tell me if you see anything in it that looks even remotely like a bk2.
>>
>>952506

It's at least two literal autists, actually.
>>
>>952521
IYO.

You really take yourself WAAAAAY TOO SERIOUSLY!

You are the only one doing so, you know that right? You are a self-destructing joke.
>>
>>952532
actually, it's however many autists unironically think the bk2 is anywhere near being a good knife.
>>
>>952533
I actually agree with what he is saying on nearly every point, but he is so extreme on his points that it's hard to take him as anything other than a troll.

>>952521
You seems not to realize that the most efficient means of doing a task is not always the most enjoyable way for all people. And if these people decide to use a less efficient approach, that makes them more happy, because after all most people go out into the woods for fun and relaxation (maybe personal discovery), it does not make them less of an outdoors person. This would be a No True Scotsman fallacy; No true outdoors person can use a inefficient knife.
>>
>>950994
>>951111
I bought a Work Sharp field sharpener lately and it love it. Coarse and fine diamond stones, coarse and fine ceramic honing rods plus a fish hook sharpener, and a leather strop all in one little unit. Plus it has built-in guides so it's idiot proof. It also has built-in arrow wrenches and the diamond plates are magnetic and have storage compartments underneath. I've used it to make all of my knives, hatchets, and chisels shaving sharp. It's unbeatable for $25.
>>
>>950994

I have one but it doesn't get much use. Its mainly a back up to my smaller PKS. It stays in the pack. Nice and heavy. The butt would do well in putting a dent in someones forehead.
>>
>>952540
when you're /out/ and have to limit yorself to just one or two knives, obviously you won't always have the perfect tool for the job. But there's a difference between dicking around, or doing something for the challenge, and using a grossly inadequate implement and insisting "you are having fun", because you can't stand to admit you made a bad purchase.

I ask again - look at the knives designed by/for experienced outdoorsmen like Mors, Ray, or Les. Look at traditional Scandinavian knives. There are no 1/4'' thick monsters there.

Knives like the bk2 were made specifically for inexperienced people, who can be dazzled with "le hardcore survival knife".

But you're getting there. You went from "omg the bk2 is a great knife you heathen!!!111oneone1!one", to "but some people enjoy using it".
Next thing you know, you will understand that the bk2 is not a good knife, and people who insist on enjoying it are deluding themselves because of buyer's remorse, or nostalgia.

Hey - you want to talk about riddiculous knives, I own a tracker, and it's every bit as silly as you can imagine. I have a soft spot for it, and I use it twice a year as a glorified gardening tool, but to be honest, it's only redeeming quality is the curved primary edge, and that's not enough to make me want to carry it when I can just bring a normal, 3-4'' blade.
>>
>>952684
The (my) BKII has a convex grinde annd the geometry is just fine.

There are no "flaws" with the knife.

Perhaps you are using it improperly? Do you own one or know how to use a knife?
>>
>>952708

seriously, dude, how stupid are you?
>>
>>952723
What no three page litany about how much you know and your knife skillz?

Aren't you still about saving "The Industry" from ignorant consumers?

What happed to the White Knight I used to know?
>>
File: Tops.jpg (413KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Tops.jpg
413KB, 2048x1536px
>>952684 Are you even trying to follow peoples arguments? I made it easy and even named my self.

First off, I don't own one, so I'm not defending a bad purchase. In fact I plan on getting one at some point for a little regrind project.

When did I even remotely give the sentiment of;
>omg the bk2 is a great knife you heathen!

Literally the first post on this thread is me saying;
>the BK-2 is just a little stocky for my tastes

Your statement about the tracker is exactly what I'm driving it. It's a stupid knife, but it's fun to hold and use, I had one in for sharpening this summer, (pic related).

It's okay to own an inefficient knife and even use it to various degrees. You and I would not call the Tracker or the BK-2 a bushcrafting knife, because it's not. And I really don't see people here trying to insist it is a proper one. It's a fun knife, and it can be used in the capacity of bushcrafting, just not to great effect, and this is something most people here understand... But you've been so harsh with your criticism, and so fast to strawman, you invite them to just disagree with you for the sake of it.
>>
>>952731
>When did I even remotely give the sentiment

well, SOMEONE did. If that wasn't you, I apologise.

Still - you'd have to make a concious decision to use an inferior tool when you have a better one available. It's not a big leap to just decide to use a particular knife on a given outing (especially when you have several to choose from), but it doesn't change the fact that a bk2 is not a knife you should be contemplating using.

Perhaps I'm just weird like that, bot would someone explain how using a grossly inadequate knife to do something that can be done much easier with another knife constitutes "fun"? If it was a replica of Rambo's, or Dundee's knife, i'd at least understand the appeal. As it is, the bk2 is a grossly overweight knife, that's twice as thick as it needs to be.

Moreover, that extra thickness does not provide any structural benefit, but it does adversely affect how the knife handles and performs.

And all I keep hearing from the fanboys is "hurr durr, i can use it, therefore it's a great knife".
Well - one can dig a hole with a stick, but that doesn't make it a good shovel.
>>
File: 20170110_173327.jpg (1MB, 2077x1103px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_173327.jpg
1MB, 2077x1103px
>>952745
Eat shit, know-it-all, condecending fagmaster.

Your pukku will be grossly inadequate when I cut hour head off.
>>
>>952745
You were arguing with with at least 3 people. I also didn't say it was a good knife at all, I said it was the preference of other people and you shouldn't be so angry. I DID say it would work fine for whoever wanted to use it and for you to climb off your soapbox. Not because I disagreed or was angry with your post but because you were overly passionate about a choice being made that you didn't like.
>>
File: salty af tbh fams.jpg (43KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
salty af tbh fams.jpg
43KB, 400x400px
>>952756
bit salty for /out/ m8
>>
>>952772
on that note, I'm pretty sure you were speaking with two different people as well.
>>
File: It's Complicated.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
It's Complicated.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
>>952745
Just for reference these tend to be the knives I carry in the summer, I live in central Maine for 2-3 months, pretty remote, not far off the AT. Typically one from the middle group if I'm just around the camp.

And if I'm going out of camp for a hike, typically I'll have one from the smaller group, a long with one from the larger group, or in some cases a small one with my Hudson Bay Ax or a Machete... it all depends on where I'm heading to, how long I want to stay, and what I want to accomplish. Do consider, I'm normally no more than a few hours hike out of my camp. So I'm not really into the traditional sense of bush crafting.
>>
>>952301
Did you replace the sheath or not? I can't stand the eyesore that it is.
>>
>>950994
here's a pretty cost effective method for sharpening in the field: skate deburring stones. They're about the size of 3 cigarettes layed out together. For me it says in frequently bought together there is a medium, fine and superfine store available. I used them as mini wet stones. Not these exact ones but I'd probably suggest the fine and superfine unless you need to seriously clean up an edge.

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Super-Fine-Grit-Tapered-Stone/dp/B0055Q4FDW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1487562730&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=%26R+Ice+Hockey+Figure+Skate+Stone+Rectangular+fine
>>
>>951521
Edgy anon.
>>
>>952839
That 3rd from left looks extremely impractical to hold more than 3 seconds
>>
Bk2 has no redeeming features.

I feel bad for the guy trying to talk sense into you mongoloids and your slackjawed gear queer groupthink bullshit.

You're the cringy guys people with actual life experience pretend not to notice as you preach the gospel of moronic tools and techniques to the neckbeards behind the sporting goods counter.

Fuck you and all your kind.
>>
>>957405
Which one the Puukko (pic related) or the Gavko T-rex (see brown handle in >>951515).

The Puukko is extremely comfortable to hold and whittle with. The T-rex is a little small for my hands (people with smaller hands seem to really love it) but it's not that bad, there are no major hot spots.
>>
What would be a good thigh hostler dagger for a gril?
>>
>>957532
Why does a gril need a dagger?
>>
File: 1467705727130.jpg (59KB, 590x479px) Image search: [Google]
1467705727130.jpg
59KB, 590x479px
>>957540
Answer the question.
>>
>>957463
B b but anon, how can i be le hardcore survival withput a hardcpre knife?

It stands to reason that a bigger knife is more better than puny knife, no?
>>
>>951934
>i dont know shit except my fancy book learnin
he doesn't even have that
>>
is knife sharp?
does knife hold edge?
knife is fine.
>>
>>958103
That's the problem, anon. A 1 pound, 1/4'' thick brick with retarded geometry is nowhere near fine.
Oh, sure - any knife that is reasonably sharp will perform its function, but it will be like shaving with a chainsaw - needlesly complicated and requiring far too much unnecessary effort
>>
>>958124
Because taking a smaller blade for finer tasks is just silly, right? Your logic is stupid.
>>
>>952104
>>952094
Never held it, but that looks pretty leverable
Sounds like you're just assmad that op has a girlfriend and has nice things
>>
>>952263
Title goes
>a proper knife
First thing I see is some fag straight batonning his ass off
Fuck this im out
>>
>>952311
Ahh they're just gay buddy
Meet me in ktg and I'll let you touch my knife
>>
>>958281
I think I'm good on knives to touch... got plenty...
>>
>>958187
noooo...
taking a smaller blade for fine carving is the norm. There's just no task you'd WANT the BK2 for...
>>
>>950994
It looks tacticool tier. That said, the quality of a knife is almost entirely decided by the quality of it's steel. All other factors (size, shape) are really a matter of function and personal preference.
>>
>>959599
Can't tell if you are being ironic or not... and what side of the debate that would put you on if any.
>>
>>959599

In the upper echelons of knife collecting, that's not really true. It matters, but not "almost entirely".

In the functionality department, where /out/ resides, yeah the steel needs to be OK. But the grind and shape matter a lot depending on the task at hand. I wouldn't use a BK2 for carving a spoon unless I was huffing carbon monoxide and drinking drain cleaner.
>>
>>950994

All you Kabar folks should consider the Rambo knife. Makes you a Rambo too!
>>
>>957532
I bought an ex of mine who really wanted a dagger a historical recreated one.. Only set me back 220 dollars for a custom knife. Wasn't hand forged or anything but it was good steel and had symmetrical profiling..

So just look for historical recreation knives. Btw. She loved it. We broke up 2 years later. Its the one thing she didn't give back to me... Lol>>957546
>>
>>950994
Ive got bk2. Its a great knife. Take that shit coating off and oil it. And the worksharp field sharpener is so choice
>>
>>959660
Whats wrong with KaBar? Good steel, good price, made in the US.
>>
>>959721
>>
Is there a noticeable difference between regular sharpening steel and the diamond alterantives? Is it really worth the $30 price difference?
>>
File: 100_6343_01.jpg (2MB, 2832x2128px) Image search: [Google]
100_6343_01.jpg
2MB, 2832x2128px
I recently got an ESEE 4, can anyone else tell me if their sheath "splits" slightly at the seams, about where I circled on the pic (which isn't mine)
>>
>>960590
I should clarify- the sheath has a small gap when the knife is in the sheath. Is this how it was designed or..?
>>
>>960591
that's how retention works.
>>
File: Fixedblades thus far.jpg (379KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Fixedblades thus far.jpg
379KB, 2048x1536px
>>960590
Like >>960639 said, this is how Kydex and some plastic molded sheaths work, you should have to "snap" the blade in so it retains. I have quite a few (7 actually) knives/sheaths that do this.
>>
>>951544
How's the SK5? I really want one. Also is that a rock creek? Are the any good?
>>
>>952023
As someone else pointed out, it is a direct result of the sunk cost fallacy. It is not the fallacy itself, but the emotional component to it. People get the BK-2 and become some self-sufficient backyard survivalist and because it can split wood and carve people think it's the most amazing thing ever, and when you insult their precious knife they get insecure because they know that they only got it because they thought it looked cool and they thought the idea of it was cool, not because it's functional and they needed it. I'm not saying every bk2 owner is like this, I'm sure some can be perfectly objective about their purchase and its performance, but unfortunately that's not a lot of them. I also have a Helle Temagami and it's one Helle of a knife (sorry). It does everything a knife is supposed to do really well. I don't baton with my knives, I carry a Hultafors hatchet for that, so i don't need some slab of cheap steel marketed to dumbasses who want to be rambo. I'm not saying that Helle's steel isn't cheap, and their Les Stroud marketing thingy isn't anything but marketing, but helle make gorgeous knives, even if they are overpriced, and I love them. My next purchase is going to be a Tommi Puukko by Kainuun Puukko
>>
Is there a good all around knife to get for a beginning sc/out/?

Preparing food and maybe some bushcraft
>>
>>952381
People aren't autists for thinking that this knife sucks. I have owned one. I think it is a bad knife. I think batoning with knives is completely unnecessary, and carrying a small hatchet and a smaller, lighter knife is a much better combination and can do much more than 1 knife. I understand that if you're only going to use one tool a tough, thick knife is good but there are so many better options than the BK-2, such as the Terava Skrama, an ESEE 6, hell any knife from bark river over 5". It doesn't carve well at all, it's too thick for the length of it, it doesn't chop well, the only thing going for it is that it won't break on you, but neither will a normal knife and a hatchet. I just performs badly for everything else but batoning small logs.
>>
>>960881

Mora Companion MG, does not break the bank either. Get the stainless steel one if you are in a wet area.
>>
>>960892
Is there any specific reason? It looks a little cheap to me, but I don't know; I'm not saying I have to pay a lot to enjoy or use a knife, but I wouldn't mind shelling out a little bit more for something that may be better.
>>
>>960944

Looks cheap? What should it look like? You can surely get a hand-made puukko with the same form factor, with hand-crafted blade etc. and pay 5000 USD for it, but why would you?

It's a good knife. Good utility, good materials, extreme value for money. Scandi grind so it is easy to sharpen. It just is no bullshit. No tacticool insecure passive-aggressive macho design. It is just a very practical high quality knife and cheap enough to be actually used as a tool without thinking two shits about will it break. It won't.

Try one. If you don't like it, give it away to someone.
>>
>>960986
Fair enough, I'll get one. I don't have much experience with outdoor knives so I'm operating on what you said with the tacticool nonsense and assuming a "good knife" looks like a weapon which is silly.
>>
>>960873
I really like the SK-5, its really well done. I carry it decently often as an all around general camp knife. Rock Creek knives, at lest their fixed blades, are amazingly high quality for the money, and even their in-house steel seems to hold up pretty well. I think they are not longer around though, I think Hanwei had to kill off the knife section (Rock Creek) after the factory fire 4ish years ago.

>>960880
The problem is that the "sunk cost fallacy" it's self would be a fallacy, a Circumstantial Ad Hominem. Just because they own the knife, that is not reasoning to say they can't be objective about it, you are attacking them rather than their argument about why they think the knife is good or bad.

>>960991
Yeah the Mora Companion is a really good starting point. I have no problem with higher end/custom knives at all. But I think it's best to start cheap and figure out what you want different before you start shelling out big bucks for something that may not suit you.
>>
>>960991

Good luck anon, I am sure you won't be disappointed.
>>
>>952521
nothing wrong with goat-fucking. tried that out on my trip to denmark, back in 2005.
the bk2 on the other hand is the perfect knife to do autistic things with.
as long as you dont try to do carving or foodprep iwth it, it will outperform any knife in terms of batoning through bricks and sheet metal.
>>
>>950994
I also have this knife and find it extremly practical. I use it mostly for buscraft and survival stuff like mining eklogit in remote mountains and minimg for opals in huge rock formations.

if you cant even do such basic bushcraft stuff with a knife then I dont wanna hear about it.
>>
>>961879
Can't tell if sarcastic, or retarded.
>>
>>961897
I just don't see any sense in a knife with wich you can't even batton granite? how else am I gonna get all those opals and other stuff?
what do you people even do when /out/?
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.