[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have experience with smart watches when /out/? Worth the money?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: Garmin-fenix---Grey2.jpg (22KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
Garmin-fenix---Grey2.jpg
22KB, 430x430px
Anyone have experience with smart watches when /out/? Worth the money?
>>
For multi days with maps.
>>
I love the idea and look of smartwatches, but until they are solar powered I won't buy one. I still love digital watches or digital+analog watches; they seem so reliable.
>>
>>951056
Understand that. What about using solar panel + battery pack?

I want something to give me a fix independent of a bearing. Should I just get a dedicated gps? Seems like a bit of a waste if you can read a map tho.
>>
File: 1486409677618.png (1MB, 1440x1867px) Image search: [Google]
1486409677618.png
1MB, 1440x1867px
>>950944

no
>>
>>951073
I like most gshock watches but I don't get the appeal of this model
>>
File: a21101070000.jpg (80KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
a21101070000.jpg
80KB, 370x370px
Hijacking my own thread to ask about GPS units in general.
Who uses them?
>inb4 garmin shill
>>
File: FILE0816-L.jpg (105KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE0816-L.jpg
105KB, 800x600px
>>951123
Yup, on snow and dirt.
Easier to log tracks from, easier to get waypoints in/out of.
Topo for all of US, street maps with fuel/hotel/food/etc POI's for US/Canada/Mexico. No data plan, no cell service, etc needed. Tough as fuck too. Easier to power off sled/moto.

Phone stays in airplane mode in the pack. If there's an emergency, I'd rather have that battery power for calls instead of burning it all logging tracks.
Garmin runs on 2xAA batteries, along with my phone and flashlight, so I can swap things out if things do go south.
>>
>>950944
>Go /out/
>Bring smartwatch
>Get lost
>Watch runs out of battery
>Get more lost
>Die of exposure

Smartwatch owners deserve their fate.
>>
File: out GPS setup.jpg (300KB, 1500x1377px) Image search: [Google]
out GPS setup.jpg
300KB, 1500x1377px
I do, but not the fancy sunnto or fenix 2/3/5's.... Garmin foretrex 401, with waypoints sent to it from a garmin colorado(thats also used for detailed maps. The foretrex 401 is basically the same as an etrex 10[>>951123] but with a few different sensors, No maps tho)
>>
File: PRW3500-1_xlarge.png (356KB, 405x529px) Image search: [Google]
PRW3500-1_xlarge.png
356KB, 405x529px
All Pro Trek PRW 3xxx watches are /out/ approved.

>Rugged, tons of USEFUL features, and lasts months w/o direct sunlight.

http://protrek.casio.com/watches/Solar_Atomic/PRW3500-1
>>
I love my fenix 3.

I have a solar panel too.

Never without time, ever.
>>
>>951073
I fucking love this watch.

5 years and this thing has never needed the time to be changed, the settings to be messed with, a battery to be swapped, etc. It's been there for me everywhere I've gone. It's been through hell and only has a very minor scratch on the screen.
>>
>>951123
I've had the model that preceded pic related for 8 years. Has never let me down. Waas and all that good shit. Gets me back to camp within 10 meters or less after wondering around aimlessly all day. Think I paid $80. I carry 2xAA per day planned, but I usually get 3 days on a fresh pair if I don't use backlight. Good on a pair for weeks if just using to double check map readings. Have used in torrential downpours. Use tiny amount of silicone grease on the original gasket/oring once or twice a year. Only 12 channels.
>>
>>952503
I own a 401. Is there a smartphone app that works with it?
>>
>>952553
I'm not totally sure. It would be limited to phones with an ant+ transmitter though(mostly Samsung of Sony) since that's the only way it can send it receive data wirelessly. Might be a basemap app that allows you to send data from an OTG cable too.

I find cell phone GPS's to be lacking. My g5 isn't as precise as my Colorado(which is now 9 years old) and it drops it's GPS signal way too easily to be relied upon. I also really appreciate how the Colorado and foretrex use standard batteries. I could have gotten a fenix(orig) for the same price as the foretrex, but as it uses a sealed lithium battery, it's pretty much junk now, since its over 5 years old. No swapping it either. Foretrex is even older, but slipping in 2xAAA eneloops will have me set for years of use. Sucks that the sensors are so old, and it's only got 4mB(yeah, megabytes...) Of storage, but it's far more future proof than the stuff they put out now... If the made a 501 tho, I'd be so happy. Keep it simple, just add better sensors and new firmware to extend battery life. Don't even want color screen, or maps...
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20170217_152048.jpg (82KB, 690x940px) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20170217_152048.jpg
82KB, 690x940px
>>952515
I added a set of bull bars to mine. I have landed on it while busting my shit off a skateboard and work in carpentry so it gets minor abuse. But she still looks bready good after iirc a year or 2.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.