[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 62

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
>>
File: WISPORT SPARROW II COYOTE 1.jpg (819KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WISPORT SPARROW II COYOTE 1.jpg
819KB, 1200x1200px
I'm want to get the wisport Sparrow 20L pack but I'm a poor fag. Does anyone know of a similar style pack for less?
>>
>>950827
20 litwrs is too small.
Next queation
>>
File: pal.jpg (44KB, 565x597px) Image search: [Google]
pal.jpg
44KB, 565x597px
What is the best way to prepare shellfish like mussels while /out/?
>>
>>950847
shooter with a little hot sauce
>>
>>950836
>anon didn't say what that pack would be used for
>too small
>>
Why does my cat like my jacket I want to return?
>>
>>950827
https://colemans.com/shop/pouches-bags/assault-backpack-laser-cut/

Anywhere from 34 to 40L depending on seller. They're all the same size but I never bothered measuring them. Lasted me 2 years and still works.
>>
When did the recent influx of know-it-all douchbag faggots occur here on /out/? Or, was it always shit?
>>
>>950867
Too small for any porpoise
>>
Why is Pepsi such a nigger
>>
File: 1436637939023.png (304KB, 472x470px) Image search: [Google]
1436637939023.png
304KB, 472x470px
>>951332
>>
File: 12345678.png (163KB, 350x247px) Image search: [Google]
12345678.png
163KB, 350x247px
>>951325
>>
File: Mors checked.jpg (64KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
Mors checked.jpg
64KB, 564x752px
>>951333
Wrong
Checked!
>>
Are machetes useful in climates other than jungle/swamp? I spend most of my time in the southwest/PNW. Trying to burn a cabelas gift card.
>>
>>951325

When you actually get /out/ and learn a thing or two, you'll be able to ditch more gear and go smaller. I will do a 4 day camp with my main shit on my belt, use a small maxpedition fat boy. Which is only like half the size. Only things I carry on my belt is my pistol, knife and fire making kit, ifak, metal water container.
>>
>>951366
Buy more ammo.
>>
>>951395
Second. I stuff a filter and a spare lighter into my camelbak and strap a bedroll to the outside, and I feel more prepared now than when I was starting out and thought I needed 40lbs of gear on my back.
>>
File: BP90051350.png (884KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BP90051350.png
884KB, 1000x1000px
What are these for?
>>
>>952058
Possibly for securing a sleeping pad? Or lashing something along the pack vertically like a folding sleeping pad.
>>
>>952058
Ice axe or walking pole mounts.
>>
What is the best knife sharpener to use while /out/
>>
>>952071 Correct answer
>>
>>952058
>>952071
this. they work in conjunction with the small loops hanging off the bottom of the pack.
>>
Thoughts on Salewa backpacks?
I want something good enough for short (1-2 days) hikes, bicycle trips and EDC back in the city. Was thinking of the Salewa Peak or Ascent, both 34L. They look compact and well ventilated.
>>
>>952195
>1 day hike
too big
>2 day hike
depends on how you pack. too small for me because i like to bring fresh food and beer if i'm just out for 1 night. though 1 night could easily be pulled off with a 34 with more reserved luxury.
>biking
waist belt will never get used
>edc in the city
niggaugay.jpg
too big + too tryhard "look how outdoorsy i am!"
>>
How dangerous wooden spears actually are?
Somehow I have hard time imagining a sharpened stick penetrating something having some hardness.
>>
File: Atlatl-illustration-1024x460.jpg (131KB, 1390x460px) Image search: [Google]
Atlatl-illustration-1024x460.jpg
131KB, 1390x460px
>>952748
Oh anon you sweet summer child. If you use 21st century DIY to make a spear it's going to be breddy shit, but if you dig back in history to find lost technologies humans developed who needed wooden spears to survive they came-up with some breddy amazing shit that will make even just a sharpened wood stick deadly. Also note that although we think of spears as being relatively lightweight sticks, this cannot be the case with purely wooden spears. Without a metal or stone tip you need a heavy hardwood limb or the technology to really throw it like your life depends on it.

Check-out Daniel Beard's book "The American Boy's Handy Book", and other such things, to learn all about forgotten skills like the whipbow and the atlatl.

With the right technology and some practiced skills you can be deadly with sticks and stones.
>>
>>952248
Fair enough, I can see the problem with the awkward size.
Let's settle for hiking day pack and maybe EDC. Is 28L a decent size for those purposes?
>tryhard "look how outdoorsy i am!"
I don't really care about that, just want to be comfy and have a dry back in these 35°C summer days. Also tbf here at /out/ we ARE outdoorsy
>>
>>951366
Guy named Bob knight on youtube has one as he does bushcraft. Looks pretty versatile. But don't take my opinion on it
>>
Where do I go to just backpack for a few days in southern california? (Orange county area) I've been researching for a while and I keep coming up with sites like crystal cove that have strict rules/no open fires. I'm used go just hiking up a river and camping wherever
>>
>>952787
i have a 28l. it gobbles climbing gear, but isn't to big when i don't have a lot. for edc you'll probably be happier with zippered pockets than the tube style of the salewa you posted. i have the last generation osprey manta 28, and i've been very happy with it. but i recommend trying on any backpack before you buy it.
>>
>>952829
Thanks for the input.
Precisely my problem with Osprey has always been the excessive amount of zippers, straps, buckles, etc flailing around on their bags. Also it's a bit more expensive.
I'll go check out both 28 Osprey and Salewa
>>
File: manta.jpg (34KB, 357x440px) Image search: [Google]
manta.jpg
34KB, 357x440px
>>952829
>>952992
now that i'm on my computer, pic related is the one i have. it looks like there's a new version that i can't speak for, but this pack's taken everything i can throw at it and eaten it up. like i said, i haul heavy ass climbing gear around, no problem. main pocket opens nice and big so you can see what you're getting without having to dig too much. and the compression straps cinch it down nicely when i have a smaller load. but i like having lots of pockets to sort my stuff into, so ymmv. it doesn't have as clean a profile as the salewa, but i'm just imagine having to dig blindly down into that tube every time i want something, and i think it would drive me fucking bananas. that style's great for backpacking when you can layer big objects efficiently, but less ideal for edc where stuff tends to shake together, imo.

$0.02
>>
>>952820

Move somewhere that hasn't been overrun with Mexicans and there are less faggottry rules
>>
>>950847
Freashwater mussels are unbelievably good catfish bait (no puns intended). Harvest a dozen. Set them in the sun for 8-12 hours. Crack'em open and hook'em. If there are catfish in the water where you got the Mussels you WILL catch one per mussel. This has never failed for me. MORE MEAT!
>>
Has anyone used pic related (not the chick) way up in a tree? Would that work well enough to sleep comfortably?
>>
>>953152
that's probably a gigantic waste of time and without a wall to hang against it would probably be unstable as fuck. just get a hammock breh.
>>
>>953152
>>953166
>without a wall to hang against it would probably be unstable as fuck
confirmed for don't know what you're talking about. they're designed to get blasted on multiday climbs in winter in the karakoram, so they're a bit better than a hammock. the straps running from the master point to each corner are independently adjustable, so you can level it wherever your anchor is. plus you have more room to stretch, cook, whatever. but they're expensive (bare bones singles run ~$300, doubles, flies, better material, etc. all bump the price). they're called portaledges, if you want to look up more about them.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x327px
>>953184
>>
>>953184
Thanks friend. I'm gonna Check'em out.
>>
>>953142
>here by choice
Lmao I'm just here for college, first chance I get i'm out back to the central valley
>>
What do you guys think of Bear Grylls and his Man vs. Wild?
Is everything he does there of actual help or is it overdramatized?
>>
>>952820

You'll have to go East. Look for BLM land or national forests.
>>
>>953328
A little from column A and a little from column B. It's a kind of "survival entertainment" where he uses actual techniques and know-how, but:
1.) It's usually very specific to the precise location (i.e. not universally usefull) and
2.) Not the kind of stuff that a normal everyman will be able, willing, or need to do anyway.

So if you need to rappel down an Amazon waterfall in order to survive you could perhaps use the same vines he used if they're available, but how likely is that? I'm no expert but it seems to me that real survival is mostly about staying-put and keeping yourself alive, and less about delivering yourself from the wilderness with risks and hardship. I respect the guy but I think he inspires or encourages a lot of survival no-nos.
>>
>>952749
I just meant normal fire hardened spear I could use as walking stick.
>>
>>953356
It'll need to be kinda heavy probably but make and atlatl for it and git güd and you'll be deadly
>>
>>953360
Isn't that... a bit too autistic for just a hike?
>>
>>953328
The moral of his story is- Don't let pride or fear kill you.

Shit is dramatized to the teeth. Nobody would watch if it wasn't.
>>
whats the difference between the Berghaus Crusader 2 and Berghaus Atlas
>>
File: Get a Load of These Guys.jpg (171KB, 784x533px) Image search: [Google]
Get a Load of These Guys.jpg
171KB, 784x533px
I figured this wouldn't deserve its own thread so here I go.

Thanks to a series of events, I may find myself homeless very soon.

All I have is my car, my desktop, clothes, blankets and 2 rifles and I won't have a steady source of income until around May.

Anyone here have any tips for living in a car and not getting tickets or arrested?

pic unrelated
>>
File: What else is on.jpg (216KB, 768x614px) Image search: [Google]
What else is on.jpg
216KB, 768x614px
>>953725
see >>936875
>>
>>953728
thanks m8
>>
>>953328
>Bear Grylls and his Man vs. Wild
The actor and his comedy series?

I get a good laugh out of it.
>>
I'm looking at a last gen/used backpacking gps, something that is cheap but still decent, is there one that I can buy that gives me the ability to record trails and download current maps that can be had for <$100?
>>
>>950825
how do I out
>>
Floridian here whose never camped a night below 40 degrees fahrenheit. Besides a sleeping bag properly rated to the conditions I'm gonna be sleeping in, are there other precautions I can take not to die of exposure in my sleep when winter camping north of Georgia?
>>
>>954254
If you start to get cold enough to cause problems, you'll wake up. As long as you can start a fire and get warm, you'll be fine.
>>
>>954254
good sleeping pad. warm clothes and hat to sleep in.
>>
I'm going to Logan Utah and I want to hike in the Rockies. In Canada I have to buy a day-pass for most parks. By the looks of it the Rockies beside Logan isn't one giant park.

Do I need to pay any admission to hike around for the day?
>>
File: IMG_2566.jpg (88KB, 474x283px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2566.jpg
88KB, 474x283px
>>953455
Les Stroud is still a G.

I want him to find bigfoot. If there's anybody I would believe, it's him.
>>
How feasible would it be for someone with no experience in doing such a thing, to walk between two cities, ~1400 miles.
>>
>>950827
you could find the ILBE assault pack for under 30 dollars. Designed by Arcteryx.
>>
>>950825
How much wool should be in my socks? I just got a pair of boot socks from eddie bauer as a gift. Are they gud?
>>
>>954684
as long as you are on public land that's not a park dayhiking is free. and some parks (ca state parks, for example) only charge if you drive in, pedestrians are free.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (41KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
41KB, 620x400px
Is there an equivalent to this that isn't 9/10 dollars per bag?
>>
>>956533
$5-7 per bag by me.

Would like to find some alternatives to it as well.
>>
File: light, cheap, tasty.jpg (42KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
light, cheap, tasty.jpg
42KB, 450x450px
>>956533
>>956538
rice-a-roni, too. throw a little shaved parmesan and olive oil in and you're good to go.
>>
>>956533
preparewithcr.com

$100 for a whole box of them, about a week and a half's worth of food if innawoods.
>>
>>950825
Am I fucked? I live in London and I don't have a car yet, as a kid I used to go out on hikes with my dad when I was younger but it was always a long car journey.

I've been looking at big forests near me and it seems like I'm fucked unless I can walk 4 hours or manage to get a lift off someone.

So any good places to go on hikes and shit in London I guess?
>>
Girl I've been seeing got me a little cactus. Was a NEET for a good decade, not outdoorsy at all, but I'm empathetic af and can't bring myself to throw it out and kill it.

How do I take care of it? I'm looking for specifics. I find shit that says water it once a week and other shit that says once a month. Also how often do I change the soil and how do I replace soil? Also also the reviews for these soil I'm seeing says it attracts gnats. Anyway to stop that? This is south-west Florida.

I watered it, let it drain and set it outside semi-shaded by a tree with 6ish hours of sunlight. Was planning on picking up some cactus soil soon.
>>
How do you route going on long trips
I'd like to avoid pretty much every major city in Scotland because they are all dreadful but I don't wanna be going out of my way to look for streams to drink from
>>
File: linus-torvalds.jpg (16KB, 221x336px) Image search: [Google]
linus-torvalds.jpg
16KB, 221x336px
>>957293
Pot a desert cactus in a mix of 1 part peat moss, 1 part garden soil and 1 part sand, or a prepackaged mix designed specifically for cacti.
>>
File: linus-torvalds2.jpg (31KB, 221x336px) Image search: [Google]
linus-torvalds2.jpg
31KB, 221x336px
>>957299
>>
File: linus-torvalds3.jpg (13KB, 221x336px) Image search: [Google]
linus-torvalds3.jpg
13KB, 221x336px
>>957299
>>
>>956533
>>956845
woot.com's outdoors section has stuff like that on sale for cheap all the time. I just ordered some 72-hour "emergency food" pack thing for like $30.
>>
File: IMG_20170225_082251058.jpg (2MB, 1561x1609px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170225_082251058.jpg
2MB, 1561x1609px
>>957293
Anyone? Am I doing this right?
>>
How is the hitchhiking scene in the usa. Ive done it before in mexico. I think i should be safer up here but this whole plocie state mentaloty has me scared.
Starting point is el pasos tx and going to denver would be nice.
Ive done it before from here to mexico city and back
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>957293
You'll be fine senpai. My chode cactus is still alive after like 3yrs and I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
File: IMG_2615.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2615.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>957621
My chode "Lucky Bamboo" has been more interesting throughout like 4yrs. Started out as three ~8" stalks with each having a chute coming out of it. One of the 3 stems got a fungus or something and died but I saved the chute. That sprouted off another little chute. Then the other 2 big stems died somehow and saved those chutes. Now I have a bunch of thin stalks and I think I'm about to cut those tall ones in half so they can sprout some more baby chutes and I will have 9 little guys.
>>
>>957621
Do you replace it's soil? How and how often? How often water? Do you water or just leave it outside?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>957624
I never replaced shit. It has been in the window sill by the sink for 3yrs and doesn't even get much direct light. Get a little water in there once every couple weeks.

I think the lack of light gave it the odd shape tho. That whole skinny part is basically how much it has grown since I got it and it gets less light now than it did wherever they originally grew it.

This bamboo shit is kinda fun to watch tbqhwy. I have no idea what I'm doing with it but it's still alive. The two tall guys need to be chopped in half today. Had em in water to start, went to soil, and went back to water.
>>
File: IMG_2616.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2616.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>957627
>tfw turnin 3 into 5
Kids, this is how you make money in the drug game
>>
>>953152

What do you do in that situation when you have to poop? Just hang ass over the edge and tell your partner not to look?

Also what if you're pooping and an eagle swoops at you?
>>
>>950847
>>953147
In a lot of places in the USA it is illegal to kill or posses any part of a freshwater mussel. It depends on the type of course.

In the 1980s, there were 1000s of them in the river here. Now there isn't a single one.

http://www.toledoblade.com/StevePollick/2006/05/16/Freshwater-mussels-sought-by-poachers.html
>>
File: poop tube.jpg (56KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
poop tube.jpg
56KB, 600x450px
>>958265
that's how they used to do it bitd. now it's considered poor form to just let it drop and convention is to shit in something like this and pack it out.
>>
>>954953

Which cities?
>>
File: 1483939093739.jpg (607KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483939093739.jpg
607KB, 1920x1080px
How do I go on my first /out/ing?
I just want to go off into crown land and spend a night in a tent.
What do I need?
Should I bring a firearm?
Is there any kind of general beginners guide for this board?

I figured QTDDTOT would be better than starting a thread. I'm sure you guys get lots of these posts.

>pls help
>>
File: Knipsel.jpg (84KB, 1624x483px) Image search: [Google]
Knipsel.jpg
84KB, 1624x483px
>>958646
I'd like to get in on this intel as well. I feel like I've been idealizing it, but like to get some basic tips besides the obvious.

My question: for a first timer, the sleeping bag or the comforter? The comforter seems to multi purpose as a blanket, quilt or blanket but is it really more practical (hiking in pyrenees in april)
>>
File: Gondola_042190_5995346.jpg (210KB, 500x705px) Image search: [Google]
Gondola_042190_5995346.jpg
210KB, 500x705px
How do you sharpen a machet, knife or axe with a rock you find in the wilderness?
>>
How easy is it to just go backpacking in PA without having to get a year advanced reservation and/or having to suck someone off?
>>
>>959083
Do the Appalachian Trail. You can pick up backcountry permits day-of most of the year.

Have fun taking the bus home again with a week of stink hanging on you, though.
>>
Are camillus knives /out/ approved? I need a new machete that isn't a hammered-out and brick sharpened lawnmower blade because yard projects soon and ork choppers aren't exactly comfortable to use for prolonged periods of time.
>>
I had to use one of the icepack in my med kit last night (thankfully was at home) it was fucking shit. lasted maybe 15 minutes and never really got as cold as i needed
does any one have a good brand of icepacks that they like? i gotta replace this shit.
>>
I want to freshen up and get a tactical knife, as well as some other basic tools for everyday use, shit like lighters, probably screwdrivers and shit. Any anons got good websites for this sorta thing?
>>
What's a good bivvy? Cheap would be a plus.
>>
I was sitting out by a camp fire last night, and now my jacket replicates the smell.

Wut do? I tried some cologne, but it didn't last?
>>
>>960314
dude thats like the best smell in the world.
>>
>>958646
It's real easy, mate.

Get a 50L pack and put this in it:
10'x10' tarp - tents are overrated.
100 feet of paracord
Fixed-blade knife with a 4-inch blade
Sleeping bag rated for the temperature you'll be in
Sleeping pad
Clothes for 1 day
Food for 1 day
Water for 2 days (Just in case!)
Basic medkit with bandages, ointment and tweezers
A lighter, box of matches, and cotton balls dipped in petroleum jelly
An aluminum pot
(A gas stove if you aren't allowed to make a fire)

And then go camp!
>>
>>958646
Also
>Should I bring a firearm?

Bring it if ya got it. Animals are weirded out by people in general, but there's always a chance to encounter a rabid one, or other people up to no good.
>>
>>957608
The shadow of that type of succulent should never face you. Don't fucking disrespect it because some girl gave it to you, because it is clear you have zero interest about researching it.
>>
>>960325
>>958646
I have the same question pretty much.
I'm not too worried about gear, rather, I would like to know /where/ I could camp that doesn't require paying out the nose for a reservation 7 months in the future.

I just wanna ride my motorcycle out into the wilderness, pitch a tent for a night or two, and leave how I left the place.
Unfortunately all the land I know is either owned or you need a permit/reservation to camp there

I live in Southwest Florida if it matters
>>
>>958609

Hackensack NJ area to New Orleans.
>>
>>960524
>east of the rockies
sorry anon, what you need is blm or usfs land, and you're not going to find much of it out your way.

>tfw live within 4 hours of nsfs land bigger than indiana
>>
>>960524
https://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/printable/fedlands.html#list

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/Our-Forests/State-Forests

Look up Florida's state regulations regarding dispersed camping on state lands. The federal guidelines for dispersed camping on federal lands are very easy to find and will probably be a better bet for you.
>>
>>960524
>>961132
Found some more links:
https://www.floridastateparks.org/activity-list/Camping-Primitive

https://freecampsites.net/#!Florida&query=region

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/ocala/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=32295&actid=34
>>
File: hitchbot-before-and-after.jpg (69KB, 908x343px) Image search: [Google]
hitchbot-before-and-after.jpg
69KB, 908x343px
>>957617
Pic is a friendly hitchhiking robot. Made by social researchers at a university in Canada, the idea is that people pick him up hitching roadside, take him cool places, post about it on social media, snap funny photos with him, etc. He managed to hitchhike and have adventures all across Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands.
He lasted only 2 weeks in the United States before he was beaten, delimbed, decapitated, and thrown in a ditch.

You really can't trust a shithole country like the USA.
>>
I want to hike a moderate trail around estes Park in Colorado. How do I get from Denver to the park, and what trail will have the best views? I'm shooting for the end of may beginning of June.
>>
>>961138
You wanna mention where he met his end? I wasn't suprised
>>
>>961138
You're upset that some Americans broke a valueless toy?
>>
>>961138
The meth heads got him. Rotten mouthed shits.
>>
>>961150
Near Philidelphia, PA, which, appropriately, was the birthplace of America.

>>961160
typical Amerifat

>>961171
More like crackheads, the killer was black.
>>
>>950825
total fucking noob here with no idea what I want to do beyond wanting to go innawoods for a couple of days. Where the fuck do I start with this sort of thing?
>>
>>960147
Maybe Amazon.com
>>
>>960399
Wat the fuck so he should show respect and take the picture from some other angle instead? Fuck does that even do
>>
>>961337
You should have just ignored the troll.
>>
>>961301
You'll want a shelter of some kind [tent / hammock / bivvy / tarp, Something to sleep in [sleeping bag / blankets / ect], Food and water, (depending on the food) a stove of some kind [fire starter for campfire / gas stove / alcohol stove / wood stove / ect], some weather appropriate clothes, a spare set of clothes, if hiking then a bag to carry it all in.
If car camping you can take comforts as well.
Look for national forest and parks or state forests and parks. Check ahead if the parks alow camping.
Clean up your tash on the way out.
>>
File: alan_jackson-chattahoochee_s.jpg (205KB, 497x437px) Image search: [Google]
alan_jackson-chattahoochee_s.jpg
205KB, 497x437px
Me and a friend were wanting to put together a camping trip to the Chattahoochee National Forest for a few days over spring break. We weren't wanting to camp inside the developed campgrounds because we want to get away from people and maybe do some plinking. I've camped a lot on private land and in park campgrounds, but I've never done dispersed camping in a Natural Forest before. How do you plan for a trip like this when you don't really know the exact place you're going to go? The forest is a big place and I'm not really sure how to narrow down a good area for us to go to. Do you just show up to a random spot in the forest and hike until you find a spot you like? If I leave my car on the side of the road somewhere, what is the likelihood that it'll get broken into? General tips are appreciated, I don't want to fuck anything up.
>>
>>961541
Hey man. If you meant national forests you're pretty much good to camp anywhere it doesn't explicitly say you cant. Dispersed camping is basically any site that isn't kept up by an employee all the time. You'll see em off to the side of roads. You can camp deep in the woods as long as you aren't retarded. So stay away from the named paved campgrounds with bathrooms and shit and a camp host and you're pretty much all set. That's my experience, could be different in fuckahoochie woods. Best to call the local Rangers office and ask if Dispersed camping is allowed. Also check the fire restrictions if you plan to have one. Have fun bro report back
>>
>>961337
You should move the sun anon it isn't rocket science.
>>
File: Minnesota closeup.jpg (26KB, 300x372px) Image search: [Google]
Minnesota closeup.jpg
26KB, 300x372px
Opinions on Alder Stream packs? Are canvas packs a meme? Im trying to find a nice camping bag but feel like the common nylon packs will get ripped after a few years

Also how hard is it to water proof a pack like this? Would I be better off just getting the water proof liner for when there is rain in the forecast?

thanks fellas
>>
>>961605
>Are canvas packs a meme?
if by "meme" you mean "trendy overpriced poser fashion statement" then yes, they are

>the common nylon packs will get ripped after a few years
they won't
>>
>>961608
damn, guess ill have to start my search all over again

thanks anyway
>>
File: fiftypercent.jpg (690KB, 1067x713px) Image search: [Google]
fiftypercent.jpg
690KB, 1067x713px
What does it mean when a thread looses its images? Is Moot-o-san trying to conserve server space? This IS an image board after all.
>>
>>961575
Do you have any info or tips on the whole target shooting aspect?
>>
What are some good camp cooking pots between 1-2 liters, have a handle, durable, and usable in the coals and open flame?
>>
>>961609

do waterproof canoe packs like Seal Line or Slogg dry packs appeal to you?
>>
>>961636
it means /out/ is a slow as fuck board ( and god bless it for it) but when thread can stay alive for months MONTHS! sometimes an image is removed
>>
>>952749
I wouldn't really call the atlatl forgotten but its close. I definitely want to check out that book now. Thanks anon
>>
>>953356
>>953429
Yes it would be.
A fire hardened spear would work if you aren't throwing it but stabbing with it. You'll want it to be at least as tall as you.
>>
>>962104
My zebra pot 14cm is 2 liters, and I use that bitch on coals pretty frequently
>>
File: 1488098744658.jpg (343KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
1488098744658.jpg
343KB, 400x579px
>>962130
it's so good! it's one of the most nostalgic and inspiring outdoor actvities books i've ever seen. it was written in 1882, and it's organized by season. It'll teach you to hunt, build kites, boats, frog gigs, stilts, boats, how to garden, raise animals and even train hunting falcons.
>>
the only slightly dangerous animal in my area are coyotes , would a 4,5mm spring air rifle be enough to protect myself ? i don't want to kill them , just want to shoo them away
im a hue btw
>>
>>962106
na not really. After doing some looking around and doing some price comparisons I think the Alder stream bag is actually a pretty good price for how big it is. I think Ill stick with my original choice even if it is a "trendy overpriced poser fashion statement'
>>
>>962407
Coyote's are dangerous?
>>
>>962407
If you want non-lethal why not just carry a stick or pepper spray or something? Putting some holes in them seems marginally better than killing them outright. Granted I don't know shit about air rifles or how much penetration they have.
>>
>>962407
A pellet rifle would be pretty shitty defense against coyotes, to be honest. Its going to be too heavy relative to the effect it would have on a coyote. I don't know what kind you have, but I assume its a break action like mine is. Trying to reload them is slow and tedious, especially if you have a coyote trying to get fucky. If you hit the coyote, it wouldn't be enough to do any major immediate damage, unless you got lucky and hit it in the eye or something. Its much more likely that the pellet becomes embedded in the skin/muscle and gets infected. For a much more practical defense option, go for either pepper spray or a handgun. The pepper spray would definitely cause discomfort for the coyote, but it would be much better for it in the long run compared to the pellet gun. Any handgun that will reliably stop a human attacker will be more than enough for a coyote. I carry a 9mm. Both are going to be immensely more practical to carry and will be much more effective for self defense.
>>962539
I was surprised at how common coyote attacks are until I did some research into it. The vast majority of those attacks have been on small children and non-fatal, but I know of at least one case where they killed a healthy adult. They are usually extremely skittish, but it does happen, especially out west.
>>
Are boots necessary for hiking a decent distance, say 10-15 miles? Going to Utah in a few months and I've only ever done a bit of hiking here in Kansas
>>
>>962779
If it's walking/flat then good sneakers are ok, but really anything else yeah you need boots. 10-15 miles, carrying a pack and whatnot, will be pretty brutal on your feets
>>
>>961138
Sounds like what I did with your mom.

She was fun
>>
>>961138
Literally wouldn't have lasted an afternoon in Straya
>>
>>962779
I never use boots. Hiking shoes are good enough but that is just me.
>>
>>950825
Are technical, synthetic special adventure pants really a total necessity for going outdoors? Cause of the 'cotton kills' thing?

Cause all I own are jeans or canvas workpants. I just wear synthetic longjohns underneath if it's cold. I wear a rain suit if it's raining. Will I still die if I hike in jeans?
>>
>>962881
It works, the fancy shit is just more comfortable or at least lightweight.
>>
>>962881
It won't kill you, but denim is particularly uncomfortable for hikes. Even your canvas workpants are better. Joggers are nice, as long as the vegetation is not too thorny wherever you're going.
Pros about "special" pants: anti-rip fabric (some of them), quick drying and sweat wicking (i.e. no swamp ass), light weight.
>>
>>957233
M8 assuming this isn't a shitty troll, just catch a bus. You can get to Dartmoor in under 3 hours for less than £20
>>
How you make pemican at home preferably with store bought items ?
I am not a city rat but neither live in the middle of nowhere farm with all kinds of animals.
>>
File: snow-shelter-survival.jpg (53KB, 385x304px) Image search: [Google]
snow-shelter-survival.jpg
53KB, 385x304px
>>950825
Alright /out/, I will be doing my first winter overnighter in a few weeks, and I'm staying solo in a shelter like pic related.

I will be able to scout and construct the campsite duing the course of a few days if need be, since I will stay within a few kms from the cabin. The outside temperature in the area is around -10 degrees C, so it should be optimal for constructing such a shelter.

This is the precautions I will be taking, correct me if I have missed anything important.

>Dig high in the mound of snow so that emergency evacuation through the ceiling is possible

>Mark the campspot with upright skiis

>Do not cook in the shelter

>Air vents and cold trench

>Do not sleep in the clothes I hike in

>Check the avalache risk in the area

Anything essential I've overlooked, or just some friendly advice for winter camping?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
>>
>>963581
I was on a winter course where we dug snow caves and slept in them. Here are a few points besides those you listed yourself:

- We were in groups of four people, so we built caves for four persons. Ours were quite roomy with kithcen area and such. With two people conatntly working and the other two taking breaks helping to remove snow outside and bringing food for the poeple working, it took us about 6 hours to complete the caves (so be prepared to spend a lot of time).
- Besides a snow-shovel you want to bring a saw as well for cutting out blocks. Removing snow this way is faster, once you get into the hard compressed snow about 1m in.
- Make sure you aren't diggin your cave leeward of the wind - this is where snow builds up! The trick is to find a snow mound facing the wind - or at least with wind from the side.
- A sleeping mat is handy for pulling the snow out when you work. Have it lying in the entrance and shovel the snow onto it.
- You can cook in your cave, no problem. Make a "kitchen" shelf and make your air slip above that like a chimney. We put a ski pole in our air slips so that you could clear it of snow by jerking it a bit. If you cook inside, make sure you also have somewhere for fresh air to get in - like an air hole in the entrance, as low as possible (below you sleeping platform!)
- Bring candles for light, wamth and cozyness.
- "Round" the ceiling well. An uneven ceiling will have place where water drips down, once the cave begins to heat up.
- Open your shoes fully before you go to sleep. They will be stiff the next day and hard to get into otherwise.

That's all that I can think of right now. Have fun OP, and feel free to ask me anything.
>>
>>963246
jerky, dried fruit and lard/tallow
>>
File: 20170306_180003.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_180003.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
What kind of trees are these and what are their survival properties?
>>
Need help choosing of tent for casual trips. Criteria:
>under / near $300
>2-3 person
>prefer more durable, heavy fabric/hardware/construction to "ultralight"
>ideal offers subdued colors, less obvious branding
Thanks /out/ you guys are all right
>>
Trying to make fire feathers for muh bushcraft memes. Why do the curls just cut off? Can't get them to bunch up at the end of the stick.
>>
>>964324
what kind of wood are you using?
try moving the wood instead of the knife.
il´gladly help if i can
>>
>>964359
I have mostly aspen around me
>>
Anyone know of any books sorta like a "guide to the Pacific NorthWest" that covers, plants, animals and terrain.
sorta a one shop stop book for anything that would help
>>
File: 1468692351379.jpg (37KB, 356x332px) Image search: [Google]
1468692351379.jpg
37KB, 356x332px
What fears do you guys have when going /out/? Snakes, bears, mountain lions, getting lost...?
>>
>>964640
immigrants and children
>>
>>963896
Thank you for great info, feel more motivated than ever now.

Top stuff mate, cheers
>>
>>964640
Making conversation with the partners I'm hiking with. I dont know em!
>>
>>964640

Human traffickers, meth labs, and deranged preppers defending their property.

More likely though it's having a storm blow through at night and being crushed by a falling tree.
>>
>>964640
Errant shots from hunters and sometimes mother bears.
>>
>>950825
Question for norwaybros

I will travel in central norway this summer and I'm planing a 4-5 day hike.
What are some good trails in the Jotunheimen park area?

Bonus if not touristy and crowded.
>>
>>961072
>Hackensack NJ
Do I have a Bergen County /out/ bro?
>>
>>961966
In my experience just look for a soft hill without too many rocks. Never shoot with open space behind your target. Usually a good spot is where you'll find she'll casings on the ground before. Just make sure you're at least a quarter mile away from a road, building of any kind and source of water. Pls clean up after yourself too. Certain areas are like dumps where people go to drag their shit and shoot at it. At least here in the desert it's like that in some places. But at least you know it's safe to shoot and the authorities most likely won't fuck with you.
>>
What's the usual mood for talking while hiking? I'm not the kind of person that opens up to new people so easily and I fear I'll get set apart from the group because of that.
>>
So when camping with only a tar or something as shelter, how to you keep from getting covered in ticks while you sleep?
>>
>>966462
*tarp, fuck me
>>
>>966465
Carp fuck me (if you know what I mean *winks*)
>>
File: ooh bb.gif (470KB, 500x208px) Image search: [Google]
ooh bb.gif
470KB, 500x208px
>>966471
>>
>>965544
Depends how tough the hike is?
>>
Is there any reason it would be irresponsible to kill oneself in the woods? I'm thinking it would be the best place for it.
>>
>>966586
/k/ here. I'm not gonna tell you whether or not you should do it because if you want to, I'm not going to be able to change your mind. But if you do it, please don't use a gun. We don't need anymore negative statistics.
But to answer your question, unless you were in the middle of absolute nowhere, somebody is going to find your body. If you have people that are going to miss you, they will send people to look for you, regardless of how deep you are into the woods. That will use up a lot of resources. If you're not going to be deep innawoods, its likely that some random hiker or hunter will stumble upon you, which will be very traumatic for them. Just some things to consider.
>>
>>966600
Agreed. Even if you are semi-deep innawoods it might be weeks or months before you would be found. Stumbling upon a decaying body could scar anyone.
>>
>>964107
I have the Mountain Hardware Drifter 2.5. It is well built with some handy features; you can put the ground cloth and rain tarp up with the poles then set up the tent body so if it's raining it always stays dry, cool feature.

It is my first and only backpacking tent so I don't have anything to compare it to but it has served me well in heat, cold, sand, rain, and on mountain tops
>>
How realistic is getting curare or some kind of substance with similar utility?

I want to bow shoot some hog but I want to be sure it stays dead.
>>
>>966600
>>966667
As much as I don't want to be a negative gun statistic, as guns are one of my only hobbies, it's just a drop in the bucket.

I mostly just don't want to be something for someone to clean up, and I know there'd be no way for me to be hard to find. Thanks for the consideration.
>>
>>966586
It is irresponsible in a way that if you have enough gear to go in the middle of the woods to kill yourself you can afford antidepressants
>>
>>967106
>I want to bow shoot some hog but I want to be sure it stays dead.
>with poison arrows

Jesus H. Christ, LEARN how to hunt. If you have the proper hunting heads on your arrows, a well placed shot will drop a hog. You MUST learn where the kill zone is on a hog. Don't be like these autist rednecks who go for headshots, cuz that's what they seen in cowaduty.

>>967112
Cliche but don't do it. Find a reason to make life worth living. If you don't want to be a mess for someone to clean up (wow just typing that is super dark) why go the bullet route, there are many cleaner ways to an hero.
>>
>>967122
Why would I be an inferior hunter when I can go and hunt using muscular paralyzing agents just like the good old natives used before the europeans came?
>>
File: 1387606893854.gif (1MB, 230x172px) Image search: [Google]
1387606893854.gif
1MB, 230x172px
>>967162
Sounds like you got the game figured out
>>
>>967112
Honestly, before you kill yourself, go on an adventure. Hike across the country. Do something. Commit everything you have to it. Its not like you have anything to lose. If you still feel the same way at the end of your journey, do it.
>>
I was directed to /out/ for my question, and I think you guys would be qualified to answer it.

Can someone recommend me a decent travel wristwatch?

The bare minimum I need are the following:
>dual-time/world time
>compass (an actual compass, so I don't have to do some mickey-mouse boy scout trick)
Inexpensive would be ideal. I would prefer to avoid pricetags that go into the hundreds in US dollars.
>>
What are cheap, but good binoculars (or monoculars, I can see decently with only one eye anyway) that I can buy in Yurop?
>>
>>967330
Casio Gshock Mudman would fit the bill. You should be able to find them for between $100 & $150 on amazon.
>>
is boiling water usually enough our should I filter too.
>>
File: d3.jpg (632KB, 1500x741px) Image search: [Google]
d3.jpg
632KB, 1500x741px
quickly dumpin this here
>its from the future
>>
File: D4.jpg (562KB, 1500x741px) Image search: [Google]
D4.jpg
562KB, 1500x741px
>>967518
>
>>
File: 97908840.jpg (1MB, 2800x2500px) Image search: [Google]
97908840.jpg
1MB, 2800x2500px
>>967518
>>
File: d9.jpg (1MB, 2560x1066px) Image search: [Google]
d9.jpg
1MB, 2560x1066px
>>967518
>>
>>967436
More info.
Now I have something that is apparently "Forte 7x50 WA Coated Optics Binoculars(the one with USSR markings, pretty old)", but I have no fucking idea if this is any good
>>
>>967493
>Casio Gshock Mudman
Agreed. Great watch.
>>
>>967512
Depends on the water source.

If you question the safety of the water enough to boil it. I would use a bandana to filter into your water container.
>>
Scarf or "neck warmer" (tube scarf).
>involves glasses and helmets
>scarves are gay
>tubes are a pain to put on and remove with said equipment
>>
>>967568
Grow a beard.
>>
>>967576
I'm trying and failing pretty miserably.
>>
>>967576
But anon... What about those who can't grow beards?
>>
>>967591
>>967586
Growing a beard is a prerequisite to being an outdoorsy man.
>>
File: chrome_2017-03-12_17-00-39.png (63KB, 294x158px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-03-12_17-00-39.png
63KB, 294x158px
My jogging stuff just got lost/stolen, whats the best running shoes quality/price I could get

[spoiler]I have big foot[/spoiler]

Pic unrelated, literally the first picture on google images
>>
>>967594
But... I'm not a man... So what do I have to do?
>>
>>967112
Go /out in Japan, they have a whole forest where people specifically go just to kill themselves.
Bonus: if you're in a different country it will be difficult for relatives to find your body and you will only be traumatizing total strangers.
>>
File: 1370852017227.png (1MB, 917x845px) Image search: [Google]
1370852017227.png
1MB, 917x845px
>>967568
Shemagh
>>
>>967614
Grow your leg/pit hair.
>>
>>957293
Mate, ask the girl.
Have her come down and show you :)
>>
>>954218
2ndimg this, but doesn't have to be >100
>>
>>967568
It doesn't matter. Consider how often you plan to put on and take off the neck warmth while still wearing the helmet.
>>
Anyone know of any good hiking shoes for around 100 bucks?
>>
>>967755
kind of often really, which is why im considering the scarf
>>967642
Thats even more impractical to me, i need it for -10 to - 30, not 10 to 0.
>>
>>968057
I'd go for a scarf then.
Remember, it's only gay if the balls touch, so keep your balls off your scarf and it's totally no homo
>>
>>968059
Then I guess this brings me to my second question, how do I tie it so it doesnt have holes everywhere?
>>
>>960325
Not the anon you're replying to but, I have a 2-person 4 season tent. Would my milsurp wool blanket be adequate as a sleeping surface or should I get a sleeping pad?
>>
>>962539
Pack hunters the size of dogs. If they are so inclined I'm sure they'd have little to no trouble taking an unarmed adult.
>>
>>968518
Yeah but they just aren't inclined. They don't seem to know how weak and nutritious we are.
>>
Which board is best for asking prepper questions regarding prescription medications? I want to know what prescription meds would be useful to stockpile. OTCs take care of common ailments but I have questions about what to add to my list and how to obtain them.
>>
>>968506
Depends on the temperatures, in the summer I never used sleeping pads in tents so you should be fine in summer time
>>
/out/ noob here looking to do some camping this spring/summer.

I haven't been camping since I was a child and am looking for budget gear to see if its something I'll enjoy.

Is it reasonable to buy a budget tent from say wallmart for sub 50 bucks and then make some small improvements such as waterproofing? Or is it more worthwhile to just go ahead and invest in something better?

I live in the south east of America so weather stays pretty mild and I dont plan on any extreme weather camping.
>>
What is a good pair of waterproof hiking shoes? I'm doing a bike tour this summer, and I'm looking for something that would be good for hiking, biking, and off the bike/trail. I usually go with Keen, but some amazon reviews were saying they aren't what they used to be.
>>
>>968815
Yeah, that's perfectly fine, you are probably not going on a huge hike with it so it isn't bad to start cheap to see if you like it.
>>
What knots/techniques are good for binding sticks together? Say for building shelters or rafts.
>>
Okay so I bought this gloriously thick inflatable air pad that was also on sale and super cheap... only to take it out and realize that it offers no insulation, I was fucking freezing all night long, look up the r value online and it's 1.0. Is there any way to salvage this or should I just buy another one?

(I can't return because I bought it in another state and we don't have that chain here).
>>
>>971175
how the fuck does an inflatable pad have an r value of 1? what brand/model is it?

but probably no, short of filling it with spray insulation i don't imagine you could improve it.
>>
File: bed.jpg (76KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
bed.jpg
76KB, 736x552px
>>960310
Alpkit Hunka/ Hunka XL
One of the MilSurp ones

How old should my dog be before I start taking it /out/ for more than a few days at a time.
Also how important are those tarps/pillows to keep them off the ground when its cold if it's a Husky
>>
>>971179
Idk man that's what I thought when I bought it

http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/camp-bedding/sleeping-pads|/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/cabela-s-ultralight-sleeping-pad/1739359.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FSleeping-Pads%2F104484780.uts

I guess I can use it for car camping or something
>>
>>950825
Official beer of out?

I hearby nominate AndyGator doppelbach, TimberBeast ipa, and Yuengling lager.
>>
>>971442
>Official beer of out?
my minimum requirements for an /out/ beer are
>at least 7.0% abv
>available in 16 oz cans
>enjoyable semi-warm
sierra nevada torpedo has been my go-to for the last couple seasons
>>
>>971442
>>971470
Why are Americans so bad at beer? Please don't mention "muh microbreweries."
The best /out/ beer is La Fin du Monde from Unibroue. A Québécois bière, best at 15°C/60°F, 9% ABV, medium body, IBU:19, a trappist influenced brew that has won more awards than any other Canadian beer (making it arguably the best in the New Worlds) but is both affordable and widely available. Named after early explorers who believed they had reached "the end of the world."
>>
>>972529
>packing out empty bottles
>leafs in charge of not being retarded
yeah, nah. la fin du monde is fine by a campfire in the backyard (though i'd rather spend a bit more for the vastly superior gulden draak), but to really go /out/ with no cans is a deal breaker.
>>
>>972529
I'm not sure of the availability here. I like Chamy, and it's made by trappists. I'll give it a try if I can find it. I generally can't handle sweet beers at 60°F. I like dry IPAs on the warm side though.
>>
>>971470
Sebago Whistlepunk.
>>
>>972539
You go deep woods backpacking with cans of beer? Also, an aluminium can will probably puncture at about the same time as glass bottles wrapped up in clothes or a bedroll would break.

>>972550
It's not nearly as sweet as they advertise it, I find it's much more spice than sweet, which is great at 60°F, that could just be my palate though.
>>
File: Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png (12KB, 2000x1514px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
12KB, 2000x1514px
Danish Meetup for the /k/ and /out/ boys, here we go.
What's your ideas?
>>
>>971442
>go to nearest boozery
>pick up a few cans of locally brewed stuff
>must be >10% abv or it's not worth the weight
>fruity or vanilla notes are pretty safe
>avoid stouts because I'm not hipster enough to pretend to like that
>>
>>972562
>You go deep woods backpacking with cans of beer?
absolutely. i don't like liquor, i don't like weed, but i love beer.
>Also, an aluminium can will probably puncture at about the same time as glass bottles wrapped up in clothes or a bedroll would break.
neither of those will happen (unless you're useless, which, admittedly, you seem to be demonstrating that you are), but packing out 4 crushed aluminum can>>>1 glass bottle
>>
>>971470
I always enjoy Alaskan Brewing Company.
It's the only American beer I like
>>
>>972657
Bottles taste better
>>
>>972738
agreed. but the taste difference isn't worth the weight and bulk difference when carrying them around for 4 days.
>>
I /out solo. Mainly because my circle of friends have gotten to busy.

Should i invest in an erb or plb
>>
>>964817
>More likely though it's having a storm blow through at night and being crushed by a falling tree.

oh boy, this is not fun in the slightest even though this story is slightly different

>go to big air show (oshkosh) with grandfather
>we set up tent at camp grounds
>he brings 4 big 10in screws and uses those to stake the tent to
>think to myself "eh that's sort of overkill but whatever"
>like 2 days later
>go to sleep, it's raining, think nothing of it
>wake up in middle of night to huge storm
>thunder, lightning, some hail
>tent is collapsed flat on top of us due to wind
>on and off for the next 4 hours the tent collapsing when it gusts/blows hard enough

it stayed staked down though
>>
>>966586
>>967112
alternatively
>wait until right before bears leave dens during hibernation
>find brown bear den
>kill self in front of den
>bears will surely dispose of body

???
>>
File: map-owns_the_west.jpg (3MB, 2692x2212px) Image search: [Google]
map-owns_the_west.jpg
3MB, 2692x2212px
Hey /out/,

How do you determine who owns land? I've been trying to figure out if this small lake I know of is private property or if it is owned by the state. I can't seem to find any online resources/maps that allow me to determine this.

Also, if it is state/federal land, where can I find out the rules regarding hiking there?

I'm a sheltered autist just trying to learn so I can get /out/ more.
>>
>>973252
caltopo.com
move cursor over map title in top right corner->select land management
>>
>>973278

Ah, thank you for that tool; that is very useful. It didn't help me identify the particular lake but I do appreciate the help.
>>
>>973364
if it didn't have a color over/around it then it's probably privately owned. sorry.
>>
>>973369

Okay, that makes sense! I should have realized that. Thank you.
>>
>>973370

do a search for ""your state" state land map". I don't think that website includes state land, at least it's not showing accurate info for my area, and if your DNR is worth a damn they'll have state land maps
>>
>>973252
The lake isn't private, all navigable waterways in the US are publicly owned up to the normal high water mark. These are standard riparian rights throughout North America. You can kayak, wade, or walk the banks of any river, creek, or lake, in the USA, it, and the fish therein, belong to you. (CO has an exception for the lands under and around the water, but still not the waterway itself. You can kayak down but not wade, walk, or even anchor without landowner permission.)

Find the river that feeds the lake, enter somewhere on public land and boat or walk down to the lake.
>>
>>972529
>Why are Americans so bad at beer?
It's called the 'Walmart mentality'. Basically, even if what you're buying is absolute garbage, people think it's better if it costs less.

>>972529
>Please don't mention "muh microbreweries
So you don't want the people who don't drink garbage to say anything? That's not going to get you a reliable concensus.
>>
File: 752470-3x2-940x627.jpg (96KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
752470-3x2-940x627.jpg
96KB, 940x627px
>>972529
>The best /out/ beer is La Fin du Monde from Unibroue. A Québécois bière
>not a japanese biru
>leafs not knowing they're owned by nips
>mfw
>>
>>973381
Thanks for the help. I actually did find a pretty good map that I hadn't found before. For reference, it seems the other anons map was pretty close to accurate.

>>973385
The lake isn't really navigable, it is a salt flat for a good portion of the year until the rainy season starts. I'm hoping to search for some rocks along the wash. There should be dry inlets that I can enter the salt flats from.

Also, this is exactly the kind of stuff I wish I knew regarding my rights to go/be places. Thank you very much!

I really, really appreciate the information and advice from everyone.
>>
>>973391
Yeah, we have the same mentality. Budweiser is still the best selling beer in most of Canada. I like microbrews but Americans touting them as superior to everything has become a meme, plus, many microbreweries are hyperlocal and have been in business for about 30 seconds, making it impossible for anyone from outside that region to actually try it. Also doesn't help that so many of them seemed tied to kitsch and hipster bullshit. They also have a strange obsession with IPAs, which are fine, but Americans take that shit to a whole new (and pointless) level. Plus, it's a bit of the boy crying wolf syndrome, after being told how awesone shit like Blue Moon or Yuenglings is only to find it underwhelming you stop trusting American beer tastes. I do have some yank microbrews I like though, Shipyard Export out of Portland, ME is a great beer for example.

>>973397
What?
>>
>>973412
>What?
unibroue is owned by sapporo
>>
>>973252
Abd people wonder why Nevadas hate thr feds.
>>
File: 100528.federal.land.jpg (414KB, 1434x932px) Image search: [Google]
100528.federal.land.jpg
414KB, 1434x932px
>>973470
>fed land isn't almost always open for recreation
all the yellow and light green is damn near a free for all.
>>
>>973252
County tax assessor
>>
>>973412
Microbrews do a lot of IPAs because:

1) It takes about half as much time to brew them as lagers/pils/stouts. They can't push out enough volume on the other types of beers to be profitable, so they rely on IPA sales to compensate.

2) It's easier to make high-proof IPAs than other beers, which appeals to their core audience (college students and recent grads)
>>
>>973512
Should say that it's easier to make high-proof IPAs that don't taste like a ice-cold glass of farm sewage, compared to other beer types
>>
>>971442
Sam Adams puts out a high variety of consistently good stuff. The high ABVs come in four packs though, so I buy 2. Then ima goner.
>>
>>973478
Just try to get to some of that yellow in Wyoming.
>>
What are some good water shoes I can use while swimming in the Boundary Waters amidst the jagged and slippery rocks?
>>
>>973424
Which is on turn owned by Steel Holdings under majority share owner and American Warren Lichtenstein.
>>
>>973478
You own all that federal land, it's almost all public land, which belongs to the American people.
>>
>>956533
>>956538
the answer is knorr/tuna or salmon pouches/instant mashed potato pouches
>>
>>959087
if you end near a river you can bathe there
that's what I did when we did the MD portion, southbound to Harper's ferry.
>>
File: faded denim jeans.png (10KB, 495x791px) Image search: [Google]
faded denim jeans.png
10KB, 495x791px
/fit/ is filled with shitposting, so I figure I'll ask this here: Is there an practice to breathing while running for exercise than in through the nose, out through the mouth? I'm trying to not get winded
>>
>>973681
I just breath through my mouth. i think its more just about increasing your fitness than a breathing technique
>>
>>973681
i breathe through my mouth (but i've had 2 broken noses, so i always breathe through my mouth) and time my breathing with my steps. i start 3 steps in, 3 steps out, progressing to 2/3, then 2/2. i've found that maintains good tidal volume and keeps me from hyperventilating. oh, and one more thing, CARDIO KILLS GAINZ!
>>
I was wondering if you really need a sleeping bag to sleep outdoors.

Say you have a very efficient layering system and a sleeping pad to insulate from the ground. Would you say that would be enough to sleep outdoors? If so up until what temperature? I know that people have different tolerances to the cold but a general idea would be great.

I was thinking something like this:
synthetic base layer
light weight fleece 1st mid layer
down jacket 2nd mid layer
windstopper outer shell
plus glove liners and gloves and wool socks
and some kind of sleeping pad

how do you think someone would fare with those layers?

I have an extremely thick and heavy sleeping bag and I've been wanting to go on some multi day hikes. I'm curious how I would fare with that kind of system. All of my jackets are extremely lightweight and very packable. They probably take up about 20% (prior to compressing) of my 28L pack.

I will eventually invest in a higher quality sleeping bag but I just wanted to get an idea on how it would work out.
>>
>>973687

Funny how you say that, when all professional body builders (Mr universe and Mr Olympian) do cardio. Arnold, Lou, Kali, Ronnie. All them are winners of that, all of them do cardio.

Typical faggot who speaks out his ass.
>>
File: 1458276736997.gif (2MB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
1458276736997.gif
2MB, 300x315px
>>973731
excellent job getting to the heart of my response
>>
>>973681
I usually breath in through both my nose and mouth and out with just my mouth.

Also I play/breath songs in my head that keep a good running cadence got example The Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang
>>
Why do people burn rings of fire in their grass, what does it mean?
>>
>>964640
Niggers, woodland niggers always seem wild and fucked up, city niggers a lot more tame
>>
>>973920
Love, is a burnin' thing.
>>
And it makes a fiery ring.
>>
>>950825
is there a face for when everyone you were supposed to go camping with bails because the forecast says "wintry mix."

:(
>>
Bound by wild desire.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I got a bunch of these this because they were wicked on sale and I figure they would be perfect for the trails.

My ladyfriend is telling me I just bought a bunch of baby food.... is this /out/ food for babies or adults???
>>
>>974613
They're great! You can feed yourself anally if you bust your jaw.
>>
How come you can get an axe shaving sharp with just a bastard file and a strop but not a knife?
>>
>>974613
they're baby food that has become remarketed for adults. fwiw my kid loved them on the trail or at home. but i wouldn't eat them.
>>
>>974627
You can with high carbon/non-stainless knives.
>>
>>974613

Can confirm these are for babies

but they are also really good
>>
>>974613
I knew a girl who would eat a jar of baby food before a cross-country run.
It's nutrient packed and easy to digest.
So who cares if it's baby food
>>
>>973729
It doesn't work. If it did people wouldn't use sleeping bags.

You'd be better off carrying a properly rated sleeping bag and forgoing your extra layers.

There are many reasons, for example you're carrying extra fabric weight for nothing, and your circulation is hampered - easier to keep your extremities warm when they're not isolated in a sock/sleeve
>>
I'm from NJ planning a road trip around the country in a few months, I plan to stay in colorado for a a week or so. Someone told me to watch out for altitude sickness hiking there, is that a real concern? I understand that it exists but would that be something I would have a high chance of running into?

Don't really plan to be doing any crazy hikes while there maybe a 3-4 day backpacking trip but the rest will probably be sleeping in my car or car camping.
>>
>>974808
I've lived in the mountains my entire life, so I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I don't think it will be an issue unless you're planning on hiking one of the 14ers.
>>
Sweet, yeah we're not going to do anything to intensive just taking in the sites.

Another question, how much money do you think two people need to live out of a car and travel around the country for 3 months?

Looks like will have about 9k, going to drive from NJ to Washington then South to death valley area then back across.

I figured we would sleep in the car or camp sites pretty much the whole time and most of the activities we want to do are just backpacking so most of the expenses will just be food and gas.

You guys think 9k is enough?
>>
>>974808
odds on you're just going to get tired/out of breath more quickly, or maybe have a headache or be a little nauseous for a while. it's possible to get worse symptoms, but being at just 9-10,000 feet it's unlikely.
>inb4 hape fear-mongers show up

>>974929
a) get an america the beautiful pass
b) campsites fill up quickly. places like yellowstone and yosemite may already be completely booked.
c) big parks aggresively enforce camping rules-expect to be ticketed and kicked out if you try to sleep in your car outside a designated campsite.
d) research dispersed camping on usfs and blm land
>>
how do i get an /out/ job guys?

preffered area in michigan UP, northern wiscosin

about me

>19
>3 years workin retail/food
>basic to intermediate knowledge of trees and plants
> active
> have college credits in english and bio

im going to transfer out of the business school im failing to go for a A.A.S in horticulture online. are there any entry level jobs i can do while taking it?
>>
File: cheatwood.jpg (186KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
cheatwood.jpg
186KB, 800x600px
Little question to you people: why you axe up thick pieces of wood to get smaller ones to light a fire when nature literally gives you little dry sticks everywhere that do a way better job with no work at all?
you like to waste them sticks?
or just like to overwork for nothing?
when you chop down a tree just collect his smaller woods like in pic related and wa la you get fine fire starter
>>
>>976128
Two reasons.
Having to move and search for sticks can sometimes be more inconvenient than utilizing your existing supply of firewood. The fact that you're already splitting logs makes it that much less work to just keep splitting.

Also finely split wood has a more fibrous surface and will catch a spark/flame better than a smooth stick.

Also also your comment is fucking bait.
>>
>>976141
you dont have to search for them, if you cut down a tree you have to clean it from branches to collect logs, the smaller wood gets collected and you have it there, allowing you to start many fires with no additional work, they get very dry and catch fire quite easily, especially the dead ones who are dry af
the fibrous surface part is meme tier imho
it's not bait even if i admit i was in a bait mood while writing
>>
>>976157
Yes, you're correct assuming you cut down your own trees for firewood.

If you're living in an urban environment and get your firewood second-hand, splitting everything you need from that supply can be more convenient.

Of course you'll have to gather SOME sticks and twigs in the process. It's really hard to get tinder from logs alone.
>>
How do i avoid rootfires and still have my campfires?
>>
>>976128
often the times you most want a fire are when it's cold and wet out. the little sticks are wet and you have to use the dry inside of larger wood
>>
Do you guys reuse your clothes on multiday hikes or wear new ones everyday?
>>
>>955539
Cannot agree more with the ILBE Assault bag. Molle webbing, stowable hip belt, comfy shoulder straps, really tough zippers, internal hydration pouch, well placed compression straps, a removable lightweight rigid ABS plastic piece that gives it a sort of frame, and tough as nails codura construction. Use one every day for years now and it has not failed me once yet.
>>
>>954684
There should be something cool about the mountain men in Cache Valley. I think Bear Lake is to the northwest. Really cool place, I had an old school out college prof from there.
>>
>>959072
I would just pack in a whet stone or file before I took a rock to my edge geometry.
>>
>>960318
>Not wearing wool that won't absorb smells.
Fucking pleb
>>
File: 20170325_095049.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_095049.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>961605
Cordura nylon will never wear out. Never!
>>
File: geeps_bg.png (14KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_bg.png
14KB, 261x195px
>>976891
well not if you never use it, anon
>>
>>976893
That pack is salty as hell. Errday carry at work. Erry weekend innawoods. Main pack is my trapline packbasket now, has also held up incredibly.
>>
Is it illegal to kill Robins nationwide, or just in some states? I live in michigan and there are tons of 'em
>>
>>976861
clean socks every day, but 1 set of pants and shirt to hike in and 1 set of thermal top and bottoms to sleep in
>>
File: 20170320_114141.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170320_114141.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Do any anons know of a good place to target shoot in the White Mountain National Forest?
>>
>>976923
Yeah. It's illegal. Not as good as doves, but quite edible.
>>
>>976988
That's stupid. There are so fucking many of them.
>>
>>959007
Isnt -4C like 25-30F?
>>
>>961111
Checked
Also, What does usfs,blm, and nsfs stand for?
Ive never been great at figuring out acronyms.
>>
>>977094
-4C = 25F
0C = 32F
>>
>>977101
USFS = United States Forest Service
BLM = Bureau of Land Management
NSFS is probably meant to be NFS = National forest service
>>
>>977101
>usfs
u.s. forest service
>blm
bureau of land management
>nsfs
i mistyped usfs
>>
>>977078
Yeah. I guess that's why there are so many of them. They're just not a very sporty bird to hunt. I take a few with a bow gun or pellet rifle when they come trough the burbs in droves. They're best smoked, but very good fried also. Domestic cats break this law much more commonly than people. I gave'em hell with my red rider when I was a kid.
>>
>>977101
>>977106
or >>977106. it's been 3 weeks, i forget exactly.
>>
>>977108
i'm a retard. i meant or >>977105
>>
>>950825
>>>977078
> I gave'em hell with my red rider when I was a kid.

Same
>>
Would a turnout/firefighter jacket be warm?
I know its a tough material that would be good for rough undergrowth but I dont know how heavy it is.
Any firefags want to say how warm or heavy it is?
>>
>>977105
NPS. National Parks Service. USFS is Department of Agricultue. BLM and NPS are Department of Interior.
>>
>>977116
structure or wildland?

>structure
super heavy, moderately warm. but certainly not warm enough to justify the bulk and weight.

>wildland
less warm than a good hoodie sweatshirt (they're designed to be worn busting ass in the middle of summer), but durable as hell.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (152KB, 1028x789px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
152KB, 1028x789px
are reproduction backpacks quality made or are they intended strictly for reenactments or whatever? or should i wait to see if I can find an original sipulisäkki in good condition

perfect aesthetic, and functional enough for a short trip in woods
///
>>
File: images (10).jpg (10KB, 192x263px) Image search: [Google]
images (10).jpg
10KB, 192x263px
>>977587
It will go great with your ironic mustache and super cool sidecut. It will hold all of your craft beer bottles with ease. It'll pair nicely with your Red Wings whitewalls. Everyone in your office will know that you're the supreme outdoorsman.
>>
File: Ben Lomond.jpg (209KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
Ben Lomond.jpg
209KB, 1500x997px
Going to be in Loch Lomond & Trossachs for a few days soon. Looking to hike some Munros.

Anyone been and have a favourite climb?
Suggestions of other nice spots in the park welcome too
>>
i have to cut down a tree in my garden that has grown out of hand in an inclinated part of the area. the tree would naturally fall into another house, that is located under mine by 3 meters or so, so i cant let it fall entirely on that side.
i cut down all the branches, so now i would like to start cutting logs directly from the tree starting from top, how could i make them fall slowly so they dont fall too random and maybe crash on the cars of neighbours?
>>
Is 60L enough for 5 days of non-winter backpacking?
>>
>>965247

Yes indeed.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.