[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

File: 1487029915122-1551911577.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1487029915122-1551911577.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I'm new to /out/ and somewhat poor, recommend me some decent budget priced /out/ gear.
>>
File: 1485901932592.jpg (77KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1485901932592.jpg
77KB, 960x639px
>>950257
Or alternatively you could actually lurk the board for a couple of days and use google. How do you expect to survive outdoors if you require spoon feeding at home.
>>
>>950257
>recommend me some decent budget priced /out/ gear
what do you need, anon? You can't expect for us to help you if you're that vague, also what activities do you have in mind?
>>
>>950266
Hiking through the woods, practicing different basic skills such as starting fires, making traps, building quick shelters. Just to start to give myself a bit more knowledge on self reliance.
>>
>>950263
>Purchasing what (((Google ads))) tells you to
>>
>>950281
>Being so obese that scrolling past first few lines of googles ads to the other 2 millions result is out of the question.
>Can't google "<gear type> ebay/amazon".
>No functioning brain.
I feel for you anon.
>>
File: Ultralight.jpg (141KB, 1147x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ultralight.jpg
141KB, 1147x600px
>>950257
Welp, it looks like you got urself a MORA. Good on you.

You should also buy a poncho. They're cheap and incredibly versatile. Linked below is a cheap(ish) one that is decent quality, has cloth tie-outs (packability/weight) and is long enough to fit over your pack/big enough to use comfortably as a shelter.

https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Poncho-Multifunction-Shelter/dp/B016ZXECBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487038599&sr=8-1&keywords=teton+poncho

Get yourself a folding sleeping pad. I say folding because it's super easy to use during breaks (only unfold the amount you wanna sit on/ fold some up and make yourself a small pillow for reading). Can't comment on the quality of this one, but it is about $20 cheaper than name-brand Thermarest fwiw. Not enough emphasis is put on being comfortable during breaks while /out/.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Mountaineering-Sleeping-Dampproof-Mattress/dp/B014KP5SZ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487038725&sr=8-4&keywords=folding+sleeping+pad

Other things:

Pots are cheap if you don't buy titatium. Aluminum pots are still up for debate considering they may give you degenerative neruological conditions, but do what you want.

Get yourself a headlamp and bring it every time until you get confident. Nothing like trying to read a map at dusk, dead phone, kinda/sorta lost. Do youself a favor and get one with multiple brightness settings and a red light option. Keep batteries in mind (don't get a watch battery powered thing unless you're into that weight wiener stuff)

Keep an eye on the boot threads and LURK. We have way too many people coming in here asking for recommendations (It's my furst hikee guys!! I need bootz that do everything and are comfortable and sub $47) Just sit back and let the guys with experience talk it out. A good place to start is the Merrell Moab from what I hear- never used them myself, but seen them recommended enough times they can't be that bad.

Anyways, welcome to out Anon.
>>
>>950257
Swedish LK35 eBay $30 for a used one. Little heavy but a goodie. Thank me later.
>>
>>950394
>google what's wrong with aluminium cookware

fucking hell i never knew about this at all, glad i lurk out of curiosity, i think i have some stuff to toss out now.
>>
>>950263
This
Lurk mora
>>
>>950257
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010RZSMDO/
>>
File: XL Espada (referance photo).jpg (9KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
XL Espada (referance photo).jpg
9KB, 263x192px
>>950257
Well let me give you some real advice, anyone who has spent any time in the woods, and has half a brain, knows they need to get one of these.

And really you should get the polished one, but since you are a poor fag this will have to do.
>>
>>950263
Go back to red-dit, fag.
>>
>>950562
Do you really like that pack? The lack of a hip-belt seems like a serious flaw.
>>
>>950263
>and use google.
>>949927

stop it
>>
File: Basho.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Basho.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
>>950257
Hey again Anon, I'm >>950394 this anon.

Sorry /out/ has been shitty on this thread. I was hoping this could be a discussion of good value gear, but this is 4chan so I guess my expectations were too high.

Here are some other recommendations as they come to me

Definitely pick up a Sawyer Mini filter. May noobs come here wanting to get a life straw- this is better, will last longer and the best part is it threads onto normal water bottle threads (I use smart water bottles- they're a little more durable, threads fit perfectly) -also no getting on your hands and knees to drink a bit of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Water-Filtration-System/dp/B00FHRADQ2

Hunt on Amazon for cheap paracord in bulk. It's always changing and you may find a better source from a differnet internet supplier, but this shit is really nice to have a ton of. An investment now will only pay off later as it's one of those things that increases pretty dramatically the small the amount you buy. Below is a link I earmarked a year or two ago as good, but I have no idea what the prices are like now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E62YHS4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IFAKF7F2LVRF&coliid=I171G5HZZZV414&psc=1

A space blanket- and not the shitty hand-out-after-a-5k types are pretty useful outside. You can use them to boost a little warmth in your sleep system, string up a front porch to your tent, keep shit cooler in your pack whatever. They're nice to have, although I wouldn't trust them in an emergency like they always feature on the packaging.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CQUA28/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2DFV5W3HJ2WN3&coliid=I35DN4FV8TED4&psc=1
>>
File: funfunfun.jpg (39KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
funfunfun.jpg
39KB, 500x333px
>>951023
also- (too long, needed to post again)

While this may catch some flak, Milsurp isn't the worst thing ever for the budget outdoorsman. The main thing is to research the fuck out of whatever you're buying and recognize that the military tends to get supply things that are 1. WAAAAY outdated technology 2.overbuilt to absurdity 3. isn't always the cheapest option.

The main debate over mil-surp comes from the fact that the same article can be really good or really terrible depending on some factors. They are as follows:
1. If it's used- you have no idea what happened to it, and the store doesn't care. You could get something that was issued once, sat in a locker and then sat in a humidity controlled warehouse for a few months or you can have something rode hard and put away wet, and then stored under a pile of shovels.

2. If it's new- there are different manufacturers. There are also a lot of imitators who leach off the market. Many US fronted stores source differently from different chinese companies- some of which are up to spec and some of which aren't- so don't trust it just cuz the name. I have a few bits of gear that come from rando suppliers and some are ok and some trash. That said, if you hunt around for actual suppliers they are way better, but sometimes you'll pay a premium.

Most things milsurp are kinda trash, but one thing that a really good deal is the USGI modular sleep system. Below is an amazon link to get you started, but can't say I recomend a used sleep system.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Outdoor-Clothing-Previously-Sleeping/dp/B00GCHKW12/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487109231&sr=8-2&keywords=us+army+modular+sleeping+system

Anyways, best of luck anon.
>>
>>950275
it sounds like you need a lighter, a lot of twine, and the knife in your hand.
>>
>>951038
Mil-surp is fine if you don't mind not having muh modern synthetic material wonder systems that can repel heat light moisture and satan's own bunghole without giving out. Just look for sales and buy cheap.

>>950394
>implying the aluminum would impact neurodegenerative conditions over the BMAA + microcystin + anatoxin-a produced by the cyanobacteria all around you, in the air, in the roots of the plants you forage, in the wood you burn, in the fungi you consume, in the animals you hunt and the water you drink even after you've boiled it because BMAA is an amino acid and does not degrade under heat

Trying to fight the Alzheimer's roulette is a losing game.
>>
>>950992
No and not me. See >>950291
Nearly every fucking specific item (tent/backpacks/knifes/etc) have their own threads. The sticky has an item checklist. You can then ask in the hammock/tent/whatever threads about hammock or tent camping for the first time. Then to find gear prices you can search ebay or amazon. It just baffles how someone can just start a thread and be like "omg I'm just new to out how do I into the entire outdoors" when there is a entire boards worth of content here. While I always be glad dudes like >>951038 are always willing to help this info could be gleaned just by reading the board.
>>
go to the dollar store. Okay, there's your instant food, your rope, your carbiners, lighter and pot, small tarp and a water bottle. Next go to the thrift store or garage sales. There's your cheap axe, your cheap backpack, your knife. All weather clothing as well

Good to go! It might cost you $35 altogether
>>
>>951038
my local milsurp is overpriced mail-in shit. The only thing I'd recommend those hungry men for is the boots. Packs are way overpriced since military fashion became a thing
>>
>>951052
>>951072
Here you go OP, exactly my point. People are gonna argue the finer points of /out/ gear. DESU it's one of the only reasonsthis forum exists- because the rest of being out doesn't involve the internet much. Stay for the show if you want, otherwise, enjoy your hike.
>>
>>950975
I have one, and recommend it for beginners. If the lack of a hip-belt bothers you one can be added later.
>>
>>950975
$20 fix for a new one. Even cheaper for a used one. I like it.
>>
>>950394
>>950811

That's (probably) a myth.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp22.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131942/

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp
>>
>starting with cheap, shit ter gear
>replacing cheap, shit tier gear
>buying twice

It ain't right, but we've all done it.
Who is going to buy a $450 Western Mountaineering bag? Oh, but if you had, how much would you have saved in between?

Go buy your Wentzel fron Walmart, then upgrade to you Kelty from REI, then step up to Nemo from Amazon... finally, you will find Feathered Friends, Enlightened Equipment, Western Mountaineering, Z-packs, et al, and you will look back and start adding it all up.

Then you can look down on plebs and shitpost on /out/ and really start enjoying your gear while you are at home, too.
>>
File: IMG_0001.jpg (740KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0001.jpg
740KB, 1920x1080px
Pic related
>>
>>950257
the light my fire mora is actually decent enough for my needs. A little pricey though. A regular mora is fine. an old buck knife from a flea market could work as well.

Bic lighter for fire and a box of waterproof stick matches as backup

have a bahco folding saw decent for about 15. I think I'd go with a silky pocketboy for 50 if I had the money though. But the bahco is good enough.

buy down sleeping bag good to freezing or below second hand of craigslist or kijiji. So many people buy one for just one trip and end up selling it. Make sure it's a good brand or reviews well.

for light I recommend the luci light lantern. great light and for cheap. Around 15.

I have a klymit static v2 air mattress I personally love it. it's about 62. There's no concensus on pads I find. But I like this one a lot.

Texsport Camouflage 2 man Trail Tent is 30$ and packs down pretty small. Be sure to waterproof it though. Also hot like a bitch and lots of condensation. But the price is right.

pick up a couple of rolls of Uncle Mac's Sportsman Utility Cord. It's like paracord lite. about 4/roll

get a forest axe. I wouldn't cheap out.
gransfors bruks or also try the wetterlings les stroud model which I hear is actually quite ergonomic. gonna be about 150

water bottle. avoid using a PET bottle and aluminum as neither are really good for you. A random joe blow stainless one is better because it will last longer and you can boil water in it if you have to.

hiking shoes or boots. don't skimp here. try at least 3 and get ones that feel perfect on your feet. Some brands fit some people better. But some decent socks for hiking that aren't cotton. Boots are a preference. North Face, Solomon, and La Sportiva were good fits for my narrow feet. I went with what was cheapest at the time.
>>
test
>>
>>950257
Your two legs. The best: those are for free. Everything else is optional so you can cut the expenses.
>>
>>952063
>not taking your two arms
good luck batoning with your legs fag
>>
File: 1426541638963.jpg (139KB, 960x799px) Image search: [Google]
1426541638963.jpg
139KB, 960x799px
>>951932
We need to have another of these threads going and get a couple more extensive /out/ infographics going on.
>>
>>950257
>Milsurp bivy
>Thermal rest foam pad
>Cheapest down bag you can find or get a cheapo synthetic and convert it to down
>Mora
>leather man wave
>Alcohol stove
>3or4 bic lighters
>any old backpack you can find
>use whatever space that's left over for food
Light, cheap, heavy duty, done
>>
>>950257
Try making your own gear. You can probably make just about everything at less cost and closer to your specific needs than anything you could ever find at a store. The only two pieces of gear I own that aren't are made or modified are my backpack(s), which are pretty expensive to make properly, and my thermolite extreme liner, because the only other hollow-core fiber I could find is angora, which would probably be better, but would also be prohibitively expensive.
>>
File: thubz.jpg (7KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
thubz.jpg
7KB, 262x192px
>>952051
Nice anon. I like the list.
>>
>>952357
Maybe a poncho as rain gear + bolster that bivy?

As far as food goes, pasta sides & dehydrated mashed potatoes are cheap and delicious.
>>
>>951070

This is good advice. Then start doing brief trips out: single nights /out/ in good weather. Then longer stays /out/ and in more challenging conditions. Meet people. Listen to people. Learn from them. Experiment.

Have a buddy to hike with (good idea anyway, plus some stuff you only need one of so it's cheaper overall). As you get experience, upgrade stuff that you find inadequate, toss stuff you don't need, and buy stuff you realize you do need. In dribs and drabs like that, getting into it is way less expensive.

Basically don't try to be an internet /out/doorsman and then once you think you've learned everything online suddenly buy the perfect everything and then take your three month trip into the rockies alone in the dead of winter. That's an expensive way to kill yourself. Patience and a stepwise approach is the way to go.
>>
>>952641
it depends where you are, though. Try that by my place and you'll wake up dead with a Puma sucking on your dick and weird birds pecking out your eyeballs.
>>
>>950257

Just buy a premade bug out bag and have a go. You'll help the communittee by investing into some shitt brands and you'll have learned nothing.
>>
>>952318
This faggot can't hold a baton with his teeth and use it. What a gimp.
>>
File: ALB-00397-2.jpg (258KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ALB-00397-2.jpg
258KB, 1600x1600px
>>950257
>>
>>950257
First thing you need is a good knife, it will be your most important survival item. Go for quality, something that will last you a lifetime, I'd say 300-400 dollars.

Next you want a good tomawak. Lighter the better, you don't want to waste calories carrying a big axe around. Saws are for pussies, real men use axes.

Next thing is you need to go to your nearest camping store and let them choose what you buy. Listen to their many years of experience of hardcore survival and outdoor sporting. Let them add as much gear as they can, they know what they're talking about.

Now buy bear spray. Bears will be sent running away immediately once you give them a spray.

Make sure you go buy really good pre-packaged fire starters, otherwise you will never get a fire going.

Next buy some rope, you'll want to tie this into a noose and hang yourself.
>>
File: logo.png (151KB, 1630x518px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
151KB, 1630x518px
https://youtu.be/AcLLz_WxG_Y
>>
File: 15013.jpg (11KB, 236x262px) Image search: [Google]
15013.jpg
11KB, 236x262px
>>953216
>I'd say 300-400 dollars.
what da ferk
>>
>>953357
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtIyxTbPy78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85smkOOgXGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-E5vkiqP8
>>
>>950257
So are we talking about boreal forest and all year gear or just summer stuff?

Because you don't really need any stuff for summer. I usually just wear ragged clothes that I don't care, if they rip or get dirty. Mora and what not have steel that can't get much better, so even few dollar knife works fine. Wouldn't use aluminum kettle, but pretty much any steel pot works. Hatchet is nice thing to have, necessary if you want to have reasonable campfire going. At summer about any tent will work as long as it holds rain and you have dry clothes with you, which brings to the point about backpack.

Backpack and shoes/boots are pretty much the only thing that have to be good. Hiking will quickly become hell if shoes are not fitting properly or backpack presses badly.

If it's winter stuff you are after.... That shit is expensive and all about min maxing.
>>
>>953359
>can peel frozen meat

i'm not quite sure if that's needed or if this count as a test of a good knife or anything
>>
File: 1464519551254.png (36KB, 675x559px) Image search: [Google]
1464519551254.png
36KB, 675x559px
>>953216
>I'd say 300-400 dollars.
You can easily get a quality knife that will last a lifetime for less than 100 dollaridoos...
>>
>>953358
>>953580
y'all to that bait hard. LOL
>>
>>950394
>Aluminum pots are still up for debate considering they may give you autism

No, they are not.
>>
Want to buy a leatherman wave. Thoughts?
>>
>>955275
That looks pretty good desu.
I'm autistic and literally just bought both the Leatherman: skeletool, and freestyle.
Pseudo functionality difference between the two imo, but they be stationed in different places/ mobility things also edc. Will update upon arrival of both
>>
>>951914
>spending $450 to shitpost
>4chin/out/ is free
>explains economics
>>
>>953978
>meaning no, they're not
>there is no hazard at all
>>
>>955275
>wave
Edc for years now, like over 16.
Every day.
Every.
Day.
>>
>>953382
it does. now buy it. you snyway dont need your money
>>
>>956225
What's Edc?
>>
>>956579
Its something hipsters and gearfags label what they carry around and use despite access to better suited tools.
>>
>>956579
Every
Day
Carry

>>957410
just answer the guys question faggot
>>
>>957410
>Hipster
I don't think that means what you think it means.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.