[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to tent in -10.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: 7c4f654c4f669b4d15bebaf88c6e.jpg (29KB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
7c4f654c4f669b4d15bebaf88c6e.jpg
29KB, 400x253px
So, I have this tent that served me well in the summer. It's not built to last, but it's light and I like it.
How not to freeze my dick off in -10?
I was thinking - maybe, poncho and thermal blanket on the ground under the tent, and another thermal blanket over it?
Any hints & ideas?
>>
>-10
c or f?

either way, sleeping bag + pad + clothing is how you keep warm, tent enters into it very little. "4 season" tents are primarily differentiated by being strong enough to not collapse under snow accumulation or strong wind, not extra insulation.
>>
>>950041
>tent enters into it very little
It protects from the wind, thus helps to keep the temperature inside higher.
>>
File: meh.jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
5KB, 272x185px
>>950110
yes, but proportionally to the warmth provided by sleeping bag + pad + clothing it is very little. which is why i said very little, and not not at all.
>>
>>950035
Exactly the same way than in summer, but with winter stuff.

3 seasons tents, 4 seasons if it's windy, double your pad and get a bag rated for what you expect.
>>
Proper sleeping bag

Proper sleeping pad

That's how you stay warm. Don't try and insulate the tent. It won't work well. You need to insulate youreself.
>>
It seems like many sleeping bags are rated with a number indicating the temp you'd survive in them, not the temp you'd be comfortable at.

Keep that in mind when picking one out.
>>
>>950110
You don't know what you're talking about.
OP needs a sleeping pad with a high R Value and sleeping bag / clothing system appropriate the temperature.
>>
I found out that the best solution for tenting in the cold, is to have a tent where you can put a small fire stove.
They call it "hot tent".
>>
>>950585
This. Especially if you live where it's COLD. Fuckers are kinda speedy tho, been thinking about making my own somehow.
>>
>>950585
>small

Enjoy no sleep while feeding it and bark, slivers and wood chips inside your tent and a cold stove by morning.

>>950110
>R0.3

As a wind break, yes. As an insulator, no. Ventalation is your friend in a "four" season tent.

Honestly, your best option is to maintain and preserve your own body heat close to your body.
>>
Hi Anon, I did a 5 day winter camping trip with average temps of -25 c this winter. I did not use a tent but built a shelter, the reason should be fairly self explainable with the following tips but i guess you could apply some of it to your tent as well.

Get off the ground, we cut deadwood down to make a floor base after clearing out as much snow/ice as possible, over the deadwood we put prob 6-8 inches of pine branches.

Surival blankets. This actually worked very well, didn't have it up on the first day but with the blanket secured to the roof of it it really trapped in body heat after being in for a few minutes. It was noticeably different from the first night when we did not have.

Dry clothing. you should have a different set of clothes specifically for sleeping, winter camping is alot of work and you will sweat, all this will freeze over while your sleeping, a good thermal top/pants/underwear/socks and a good balaclava makes a world of difference, its cold af stripping down at night but it makes a huge difference.

Blanket inside your sleeping bag helps alot too, the one i had was a bit to small and i found i would have to leave some areas exposed, they where much colder then the rest of my body.

Spruce bows everywhere. This is the main reason I didn't use a tent and built a shelter, the wind makes a huge difference in temperature even if you don't feel a breeze, and thin fabrics like your tent allow heat to escape. We had an a-frame shelter with once again ~6-8 inches thick of spruce bows on the roof, and then packed on another ~4 inches of snow.
Your toes will get cold pretty much no matter what. The way I found to make this more bearable was to wear my boot linings. Before I went to bed i took the linings out of my boots, and hung them over the fire to dry out all the sweat and other moisture it collected throughout the day. Took about an hour to be dry enough for my liking. Keep in mind if you don't have good, breathable liners this will take longer
>>
>>950707
cont'd

Another thing that I found pretty helpful especially for my toes (which were by far the coldest part of my body) was to take rocks from around my fire pit, let them cool off and put them under my sleeping bag but on top of my sleeping pad.

Go to sleep with a full stomach. Normally people say not to eat before going to sleep, but having some calories burning away will increase body heat quite a bit, I just had a can of beans right before shutting my eyes.

You probably won't have to take the same measures I did if it's only -10 c but thats pretty much everything I can think of that made big differences in terms of keeping warm. Any other questions I'd love to answer them for ya. It was my first winter trip longer than an over nighter and winter is now my favorite time to go camping.
>>
>>950493
Would be possible to insulate self with decent blanket?
>>
File: tent stove.jpg (117KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
tent stove.jpg
117KB, 400x267px
>>950035
Use a tent stove, like normal people. Either propane or wood, your choice.

>inb4 limp wristed ultralight faggots
>>
File: Portable-woodburning-stove-fb.jpg (58KB, 625x314px) Image search: [Google]
Portable-woodburning-stove-fb.jpg
58KB, 625x314px
>>950770
>>inb4 limp wristed ultralight faggots
Yea, fuck'em right in the pussy.
Plus there are some really nice small ones, I see.
>>
>>950711
Thank you those are interesting hints.
>>
We are heading up to the mn lake superior hiking trail this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. Last time my partner made a wind break out of snow, it was only 2' high but I think it helped a lot and she was proud of it. Otherwise we mostly relied on cheap thermarest pads and our sleeping bags. She is a tiny thing so she made an insulated bottle of tea to sleep with, but I am a hot blooded man so I just drank beer.

Ventilation is important even in the cold, better a cold tent than a wet tent.
>>
>>950707
>>950711
Thanks a lot for the info
>>
>>950707
>>950711
quick drying tips? silica gel or newspaper work?
>>
https://youtu.be/q3d_Oz56UnY
This one is relatively portable.
>>
>>953260

>SILICA

kek. try lighting a fire.
>>
File: IMG_3415.jpg (75KB, 782x394px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3415.jpg
75KB, 782x394px
Little buddy
>>
>>950035
Bring a dog. Make sure your bag is big enough for both of you.
>>
If your sleeping bag is rated for the temperatures you're sleeping in you can even sleep under the open sky without a tent and be just fine. Getting out of the bag is cold of course, but just do it quick and get it over with.
>>
>>954701
Gatorade bottle in bag. Keep it in the bag with you after using or you're wasting heat.
>>
File: wrong fuckin neighborhood son.png (10KB, 390x262px) Image search: [Google]
wrong fuckin neighborhood son.png
10KB, 390x262px
>>950035
To blow through all the shit people are giving you, homeless dude who's survived the three coldest winters in the last thirty years, and ive got a cheap walmart tent about like OP pic.

A) Four Shipping Pallets under it to keep it off the ground. And thick cardboard panel between that and the tent to provide a sturdier floor. This is insulative in a way too. Might be wise to stuff the edges of the shipping pallets with something to prevent a draft, if its worth the trouble.

B) Foam insulating pad or a small roll out carpet. Got the carpet from walmart for $13 but your mileage may vary. The foam pad is more comfy and portable but its also smaller and more expensive (they go like $25 minimum these days).

C) If you're expecting Snow make a tarp canopy over the top of the tent so that the snow will compact onto the tarp first thus making it easier to brush some of it off and provide clearance for the tent. You want to keep the snow on/around the tent for insulation (its 28F, the temp outside is -10F, one is better than the other).

D) You need 3 cheap 30-50F degree sleeping bags such as the $15 ones from walmart. Unzip them all the way and sleep with them layered on top of you. Sleep along the diagonal length of them for maximum coverage.
> this is better than paying a fuckton of money for a 0F sleeping bag
> its like having smooth satin sheets

Keep the ventilation fucking shut all night. Even then its still going to hurt to breathe but you'll be okay. Maybe you should sleep with balaclava on to help with it.

Frost will form on the walls of the tent from your breath condensation, take care to scrape this off or itll make your things wet and frozen later.

Bring a 2 Liter (or 1 gallon) bottle you dont care about tossing away. In the middle of the night when you have to piss you will be thankful that you're only uncovering to piss in your tent into that bottle, rather than going outside and doing it. Piss may freeze in the bottle but oh well it did its job.
>>
File: a76374c244acb4e1650dadecf16a.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
a76374c244acb4e1650dadecf16a.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>954584
That looks nice.
But - anyone - how do they work in cold weather?
I have a bigger one, pic related, I use it in my hut, but it's bad in winter - even if I heat it up by holding under my balls, it quickly gets cold from decompression of gas, so it's close to useless in cold weather, same with gas stoves that use those 0.225kg bottles.
I was thinking - maybe those smaller containers work better in cold? Maybe the decompression is slower thus they don't get cold so fast?
>>
File: 20170211_123725.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_123725.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>950692

Not super hard, I just built one.

10 oz painters drop cloth, 1" steel conduit for poles, 1" tubing for angles, fiberglass welding blanket for pipe jack, diy propane tank stove.

Cost about $350 total, stove was all free scrap steel

Needs welding equip, and tube bender helps with making angles. Sewed it all on a little singer seeing machine.

Lots of work, probably wouldn't be easy to do it without welding.
>>
>>957021
painters drop cloth is shit for tents, it's woven too loose and shoddily. Better to get proper canvas, like a basic double fill duck.
>>
>>957040

10 oz is pretty standard for canvas tents.

Rain runs off it fine, though I do get drips where the fiberglass meets the canvas.

You have to keep in mind it's 1/3rd the price of a commercial tent
>>
>>950698
Wood burning tent stoves are really for when you are awake, so you don't have to wear all your gear.

>>950770
>>950957
I use an Seek Outside SXL, though I have had a few different ones. 36 ounces and with an outside temp in single digit F it will get my Kifaru Sawtooth so hot I am comfortable in shorts.

If you are pulling a sled or have some kind of vehicle delivery to a base camp, bigger wood stoves or propane or kero or the like become an option.
>>
>>950957
>>950770

I used to think that these things were for pussys. I always used to do the hard mountain man thing and shitcan anyone who used these heaters. Until the time a buddy brought one along on a winter hunting trip up in the mountains. I bagged him out big time about being soft.... Holy fuck, once it was set up and going it was super comfy. I got some of the best sleep I ever had innawoods.
>>
>>954987
>Frost will form on the walls of the tent from your breath condensation, take care to scrape this off or itll make your things wet and frozen later.

This. With a fire stove in the tent, things get warm, then when some fucker in the tent forgets to feed the fire with wood or falls asleep during their fire watch, the fire dies and stove gets cold. Then all that warm coziness becomes water and then it freezes.

Mfw waking up with hair frozen to the ground. No hippie but had to use knife to cut some hair. Not Rambo enough to just rip it.

Never did bottle-piss. Always outside or just osmotically suck it back in for just 1 more hour and then wake up fo' realz.
>>
File: IMG_20170214_224743.jpg (14KB, 245x202px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170214_224743.jpg
14KB, 245x202px
>>950035
I slept in -12°C this night, that is what my thermometer said. Eh. Just make sure to have a good matt to sleep on, the ground is your biggest fear when sleeping outside. I also kept a scarf on over my mouth to keep my nose and mouth warm.
But I have to say, even with my -20°C sleepingbag, I craved for my extra-blanket as extra layer (I always fold a blanket into my pillow cover, incase I need it more than my pillow.)
So, it's kinda made my sleepingbag 15 cm thick.
For the rest. It went pretty okay.
I only woke up once around 2~3 AM

TL;DR get a good mattress unlike I what I had.
>>
>>954987
Sorry but snow can go below 0C.
Imagine if iron stayed at its freezing point too. It's there as insulation and not to make things warm it whatever you're suggesting.
>>
>>961329
Tent that blocks wind and rain/snow, vents a VERY BIG PLUS.
Sleeping Bag Rated 10-20 degrees F LOWER than the expected low temps.
Collapsible Cot and a inflatable mattress.

Cot plus tent insulates from elements and the ground. Mattress provides additional insulation from cold seepage up from said ground. Bag is rated above your temps.

Blankets, fire, heater, and hot rocks/water bottle will do anything else you need. Just remember that fire and heaters will use up oxygen. And that freezing to death involves falling asleep, the same as asphyxiation. So have portable LOUD ASS ALARMS. Also ventilation.

Also in winter spend that extra hour/half-hour finding a good camp site.
-Protection from prevailing winds
-Protection from elements if possible
-Good ventilation/air convection
-not low lying so rain/meltoff will get you/asphyxiation
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.