[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tarps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: 252632_19089_M2.jpg (44KB, 415x312px) Image search: [Google]
252632_19089_M2.jpg
44KB, 415x312px
looking to make the switch into tarp shelters.
Does rain get carried in by wind?
Can a tarp mat keep the ground dry?
The difference between pyramid and square tarps?
>>
>>949783
Tarps suck if you aren't camping in forested areas.
>>
>>949783
How do people camp like this? Do they live in magical areas free from insects?
>>
File: evening-light.jpg (537KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
evening-light.jpg
537KB, 2000x1500px
>>
File: Norwegian-evening.jpg (136KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Norwegian-evening.jpg
136KB, 600x400px
>>949783
>Does rain get carried in by wind?
Rain can get carried in with the wind. Proper tarp set essentially negates this. You will have to think more on how to best set up a tarp. Its certainly not as brainless as setting up a tent.
>Can a tarp mat keep the ground dry?
not sure what a tarp mat is. Most people use a ground cover. Painters plastic drop cloths are inexpensive and easy to come by. Also you don't feel to bad about cutting one down to the minimal size you need. Your own pic related has shows a ground cover cut down to fit just what is essential.
>The difference between pyramid and square tarps?
Square & rectangle tarps offer more set up options. Pyramid tarps will have a single pole supporting the top and slope down to the corners. Its more like a bottomless tent.
>>949791
>Tarps suck if you aren't camping in forested areas.
No, you carry a trekking pole. Lots of people have them anyway. Or you find a big rock and set it up like pic related. Photo stolen from ravenlore.co.uk cuz I've never personally set up a tarp like this. Or with a trekking pole for that matter.
>>
>>949796
Not necessarily free from insects. Good bug spray a wide brimmed hat some mosquito punks & camp set up away from standing water can go a long way. I.e. choosing a slightly windier area on a high point.
>>
>>949803
I live in Ausland, camping most places here without a mozzie net just seems ridiculous. I'm sure people do it but since everything from spiders to snakes have an unquenchable thirst for human souls i don't think I'd ever risk it.
>>
>>949804
Just depends on location. If i was going back to Bolivia I'd probably bring something different.
>>
>Does rain get carried in by wind?
depends on the amount of rain and wind
>Can a tarp mat keep the ground dry?
again, depends on what kind of ground your on and how much it rains
>the difference between pyramid and square tarps?
the shape
>>
File: 011423941085.png (45KB, 240x280px) Image search: [Google]
011423941085.png
45KB, 240x280px
>>949801
Would pick related work again most insects, what about larger animals, I guess this depends on the area though?
Would winds on the sleeping bag be a problem?
Are there good tutorials so to speaks in tarps and proper tarp setups?
>>
File: mosquito punk.jpg (11KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
mosquito punk.jpg
11KB, 300x250px
>>950668
>Would pick related work
Have never used it so cant comment. Try it next time you're out (before you try to sleep) and see how effective it is.
>Would winds on the sleeping bag be a
problem?
If its super Breezy you might have an issue. You just set up a so a light breeze goes horizontally through your camp. If its super windy place the low side of the tarp into the wind.
>Are there good tutorials so to speaks in tarps and proper tarp setups?
Yeah ill see if i can dig some up within the next 24h. I have a few saved in my emails and bookmarks etc. Gimme a bit of time.

I usually burn pic related at each end of the tarp if its buggy out. Tarp is usually set up A frame style. I wear badger balm bug repellent. It comes in a deodorant stick kinda thing and you just wipe it on. Works well. Also I sleep with a wide brimmed "dad hat" over my face to prevent most bugs from getting to me. It also blocks the sun in the morning.
>>
File: image11.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image11.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
Technically I tarp camp, only there is a hammock under the tarp as well.

The right tarp can block out most all wind and rain. Plenty of tarpeople shelters also have options for a bug net to hang inside.

I live in the Northeast USA so I will never ever encounter an area without trees, unless I travel 1000 miles away. Makes it easy to use a hammock and tarp.
>>
>>950907
>>950990
Thanks.
>>
>>949796
A lot of the western US is free from mosquitoes during favorable camping seasons
>>
>>949801
I don't carry poles and probably won't anytime soon. But I camp in the desert a lot. What do
>>
>>953529
Carry poles
>>
>>949796
this. and bears and cougars and wolves.
>>
>>953920
This why people say we browse /out/ but never actually go outside
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.