[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a /cycling/ thread? I want to get a bike for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (404KB, 1860x1140px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
404KB, 1860x1140px
Can we have a /cycling/ thread? I want to get a bike for the spring but I have no idea where to start. I live in the middle of nowhere and I plan on riding out on the streets by the cornfields where my town recently created a lot of new bike lanes. I don't plan on doing any mountain biking. What kind of bike do you guys ride? What kind of gear do I need?
>>
Stay out of the fucking road.

If you have a strange feeling that every single motorist hates your guts, it's because we fucking do.
>>
>>949396
That's why I plan on using the bike lanes asshole. I hate those bikers taking up space too. I want to try to stay away from other people as much as I can, luckily there's a lot of empty roads near me
>>
>>949396
No one cares, motorists are idiots. Try not to kill people with your deathcage.
>>
>>949390
>I don't plan on doing any mountain biking
then you want >>>/o/
>>
>>949390
>>>/n/
is probably where you'll want to take this thread, bikes is a big thing there and might fit bet=ter
>>
>>949430
they dont like bikes in /o/
/n/ is where hes going to want
>>
>>949430
fuck me, what >>949431 said, >>>/n/, not /o/
don't know why i always switch those two boards up.
>>
>>949390
We have a whole board for bikes and biking.
>>>/n/
>>
>>949396
If you don't mind me asking, whence the irrational (at least, from my point of view) anger towards cyclists? I've visited all continents and almost always happened to do some biking, but the only places where I felt drivers were really out to get me were Anglo-Saxon cultures. Africans and Russians, for example, occasionally drive like mad bastards, but at least they treat you like just another part of traffic, not a target.
>>
I'm getting a bike mainly for my commute to the city, are there pros and cons to getting a "city-bike" over an offroad bike? Also, I'm 6'2. What's the proper height of the bike for me?
>>
>>949432
>>949434
>>949433
Thanks guys, I've never been to /n/ so I had no idea
>>
>>949435
because too many bicyclist are fucking garbage human beings who think they're entitled to bike at 5 miles per hour in the middle of the lane for 15 miles on highways where the limit is 45 mph and other people on the road are actually trying to get somewhere.

if you're cool and bike by the edge i give you plenty of room. but if you're one of those selfish cunts i described above i'm gonna pass you tight and swerve in front of you.

tl;dr-ride like an asshole=get treated like an asshole
>>
>>949435
I don't know about elsewhere, but I think a lot of it has to do with the cyclists themselves.

Anywhere you go these days, there's a group of the bastards pedaling along, taking up the whole damn lane, not moving over, often times moving over to INTENTIONALLY block traffic. They never signal their turns, never pay attention to anything beside whatever is RIGHT in front of them and gerally act like dicks to motorists. Then when they just randomly shoot out into traffic and get creamed, they bitch and whine about "sharing THEIR road" that the motorists are actually paying for, theoretically, with their gas taxes and vehicle registration.

Seriously, if i didn't have to deal with bicyclists, my morning commute wouldn't be nearly as long. Either a big pack of dick bags crawling along at 10 mph and not letting traffic pass, or the meat wagon scraping up somebody that got whacked.

At least the folks who ride their bikes to actually GET somewhere, other than back to their car, seem to have a bit of sense and actually pay attention to the rules and the road.
>>
>>949440
Get a hybrid like https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-escape or http://www.konaworld.com/dew.cfm if your commute is under 7 - 8 miles. If its longer get a cyclocross or gravel bike with drop bars. You'll end up spending $500+ dollers on a cyclocross/gravel bike over a hybrid. An off road (mountain) bike will be sluggish. The hybrid will give you the option of going off road too. Basically anything short of mountain biking. 6'2" You're on the large side of a large (around a 60cm/20" depending on the manufacturer. Best thing to do is to get off 4chan and go to a few store and talk to the sales clerks. Tell them what you intend to do with it, how often to you'll be using it, etc. Ride as many different bikes as you can. Different makes fit differently.
>bike mechanic for 16 years occasionally do sales too.
>>
>>949464
>motorists are actually paying for
>not realizing the majority of cyclists drive too.
>>
>>949471
Hey man, thanks for the advice!
As a follow-up, what do I need to know about bike maintenance and repair? Is there any basic books that goes with repair?
>>
>>949435
Because Angl0-Saxon cultures are full of entitled redneck assholes like >>949396 who think they own the road, that they're the only ones who pay tax, and that riding a bike makes you a faggot librul communist. They're especially loud-mouthed right now because of Trump's win but they'll settle down once he's impeached.

>>949440
It depends on how far you're riding and if you want to use it for recreation as well. Personally I don't like most city bikes because a lot of them are slow, clunky and heavy, but Linus and Breezer make some nice ones.

Also depends on what you mean by offroad. I wouldn't ride a full-sus MTB in the city but a nice hybrid or cyclocross bike or even an old rigid MTB make good commuters.
>>
>>949480
> what do I need to know about bike maintenance and repair?
How to fix a flat
How to put your chain back on if it slips off (not even remotely hard, but it seems to stump a lot of people)

>Is there any basic books that goes with repair?
There are a lot, but I don't know which are good because it's been a long time since I've needed one. There's a lot online too, start with http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

>>949472
Also not realizing that fees for drivers don't cover the full cost of road maintenance and construction, and that roads were originally paved for bicycles with a tax on bicycles, before cars were invented.
>>
>>949456
>>949464
I can only agree with taking up an entire lane being Grade A Asshat Behaviour, but even when I follow the rules to acquire good boy points, there's still a feeling much akin to biking in an arena full of bulls with a red cape tied around my ass, merely for being on a bike. As it it triggers some sort of instinctive response.
>>
>>949488
Thanks for the input! It looks like a hybrid is the thing for me :)

>>949490
Haha yeah It's how society is nowadays I guess. Thanks for the help, both of you!
>>
File: DSC04222.jpg (2MB, 2375x1777px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04222.jpg
2MB, 2375x1777px
/out/,,, Cageing, against bikes,, Race, toyour box.
>>
>>949480
16 year mechanic here again.
How to change a flat/patch a tube & put the chain back on & lubing the chain regularly is really all you need to know. Have a shop do the other maintenance. Expect to replace a drive train (chain, cassette & chainring(s) once a year if you are riding every day and you'll probably go through a set of brake pads one to two times a year too. If a shop says you need a new shift cable always make sure they replace the housing too.

I cant stress enough -Your components will wear out if you ride regularly. For some reason people don't seem to grasp this concept.

Don't waste money on books. Save it for the inevitable repairs A lot of bicycle tuning is best done by someone who know what he or she is doing. I can explain how to adjust a derailleur for example but it can be challenging to get it perfect if you haven't done it a lot. If you want to do your own maintenance youtube is your best friend (other than a mechanic friend). If you really want a book ask for it for Christmas or a birthday. Zinn and the art of bicycle maintenance is highly regarded as is the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. At least they are both "good sellers" at the shop.

Last piece of advice. Stay away from internally geared hubs.
>>
I would recommend buying a road bike assuming you'll be riding on reasonably well paved roads. I mostly drive but occasionally ride to work when I don't have to haul construction materials. My current bike is a 10 year old road bike I got for $400 on Craigslist. The frame originally detailed for around a grand and the guy had put about another grand worth of parts on it, but he worked at a bike coop and those people are generally super charitable as they get parts for next to nothing and want to encourage as many people to get into it as possible. If there's a coop near you, go there. Oftentimes they'll teach you how to do basic maintenance and get you a decent setup as long as you're willing to put in a few hours to help them out.

t. Worked in a high end bike shop before taking over my granddads construction company.
>>
>>949659
Not to be a contrarian but id reccommend against coop type establishments. Firstly in my experience the techs generally don't know as much about bicycles as a real bike shop. Secondly its a sketchey business.
>get parts for free or next to nothing
>sell bikes for far more than they are worth
>profit.
>example http://www.thebikehub.org/bikes-for-sale/

home page says they are a 'non-profit" but look at their prices for old used pos bikes and tell me they aren't making a profit.

Go to a real shop. Buy used if you have to. And realize road bikes are very limiting.
>>
>>949405
Don't be a pussy OP. Bike down the middle of your lane and be sure to get a go pro so we know who ran you over
>>
>>949480
Don't get a hybrid. They're bad at doing anything. Road bikes are the best
>>
>>949768
No. That's about as retarded as recommending a mountain bike.
>buy road bike
>realize it only goes fast in one direction.
>realize they're uncomfortable to ride
>realize you wasted a shitload of money on a meme
>sell road bike for something that does more than one thing.

Now if you wanted to get into road racing or riding with a group. Sure go for a road bike. They have their place. Hybrids are infinitely more versatile & comfortable & make more sense for a commuter. Look at Amsterdam or Copenhagen or any city with a high percentage of cyclists and check out the hybrid to road bike ratio & get back to me.
>>
>>949768
Fuck, a lot of road bike don't even have provisions to mount fenders.
>>
>>949659
>>949768
>road bike
Good lord, please don't listen to these two. Skinny tire road bikes are for LARPing as a road racer and are really only good for going fast on smooth dry roads. There's usually no rack mounts or clearance for sensible size tires or proper fenders. It's possible to commute on one - I did it in college - but it isn't much fun and with those skinny 120PSI tires you'll shake your teeth loose and pinch flat a lot on potholes.

If you can get an old one from the mid 80s or earlier or something like an All-City or Rivendell, that'll fit fenders and at least a 30mm tire, that's different.

>hybrid
There are some shitty cheap hybrids out there, but the good ones are pretty good for anything except technical singletrack and actual road racing. Get some decent quality tires and they won't feel slow. Or if you want drop bars get a cyclocross bike.
>>
>>949390
>>>>>>/n/

NOT /out/ related
>>
>>949787
Bikes are ridden outdoors, fucktard. It's more /out/ related than a lot of the shit that gets posted here.
>>
>>949786
>>949792
these annons know
>>
>>949793
they sure know how to break board rules that's for sure
>>949792
Cunt, if I met your mum at a bus stop and gave her a ride home in my car I wouldn't be posting about it on /out/. Even though I happened upon her outside.
>>
>>949810
>board rules
If gardening in your back yard is /out/ that sets a pretty lax standard, friend. We've been having bike threads on /out/ since before you got here. Now run along and shit up one of the knife threads like a good little troll.
>>
>>949396
I hope you crash but don't die and only become paraplegic so you can never drive again and get to see your precious machine turned into a pile of trash.
Have a nice day, asshole.
>>
File: IMG_6894.jpg (35KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6894.jpg
35KB, 604x453px
>>949813
Yeee boi!
>>
File: DSCN4179.jpg (2MB, 2140x2119px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4179.jpg
2MB, 2140x2119px
>>949425
>Try not to kill with your deathcage.
tolate.,
,most people will be closest to /out/,, while in a cage., warm vibrating seats, satilite radiosurround sound,,McTendys ,,Marlboro, mmm Tabaco RUSH!,
,,the Joy of Bugsucking,, tirewash mineral drink, pothole jumping,, trash swerving, Dogevading,, muscle cramping ,along withomicidal Cagers??
,its a tuffsell., theres a learning/tuffing curve, thatshard to rollover.
>>
>>949456
desu they should only allow time trial bikes on city roads, anything else ruins the surface
>>
>>949456
I bike on the fucking sidewalk. Bicyclists who use the road are insane creatures, esp. in this city.
>>
>>951729
I walk, drive, and cycle, so I'm equally intolerant of each when I'm being one of the other two. But sidewalk cyclists are human trash and should be knocked over on sight. Sidewalks are for walking and if you're too pussy to ride on the street you shouldn't be riding at all
>>
>>949396
Lol. Pissing people off is part of the fun.
>>
File: IMG_2651.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2651.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone know how to get these off?
I can unscrew the caps on the cranks, but I can only get one crank off. I can't remove anything else it's all torqued with no grease. Mongoose btw
>>
File: IMG_2653.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2653.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>952413
>>
What's a good way to carry a rifle on a bicycle that's both secure and doesn't unbalance it?

Just slinging it over my back is neither comfortable nor secure. Always afraid it's going to swing around and tip me over.
>>
>>952423
Your main thing is gravity doing it's thing. You essentially want something that won't jostle the rifle around whatsoever. Also if you let's say crash you want the rifle to stay on your frame. Straps will move around. I'd personally get something for my back. Possibly put it in a gun case then point it straight up sticking out of a backpack. Really would rather have it on my back if mechanically possible.
>>
File: bikegun.png (663KB, 1200x696px) Image search: [Google]
bikegun.png
663KB, 1200x696px
>>952423
Depends on your bike geometry. Here's how I have mine on my bike.

>gun case is on nondrive side
>barrel pointing down behind me (unloaded too obv)
>red is the gun case itself
>green are straps I put around the gun case to just hold it vertically
>blue represents a fixed ring on the gun case for a shoulder strap
>blue line is a strap I put through the ring and around the seat post to keep the case from sliding back into my rear wheel

It works pretty well. I ride out from a cabin on a pretty tame packed dirt trail like this when I go hunting.
>>
>>952413
I've never worked on that kind of bottom bracket but they usually need a special tool and if you don't have one you should take it to a shop.
>>
File: shithole bb pic 2.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
shithole bb pic 2.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>952415
>>952413
Mechanic is back. You got yourself there a shitty american bottom bracket. Loosen the pinch bolt on the left crank and it should come right off. It might take some wiggling & jiggling. So take the left side crank arm off. Once that is off you should see one thin flat nuts followed by a washer or two followed by the threaded cone. The cone should have 2 slots in it. Pic related looks like the slot but bad lighting. Loosen the lock nut & remove. Remove washer(s). Remove the cone. To do this you will need a slot spanner by park tool # SPA 4 (yellow dipped handle). Once the cone is removed you will see the bearings. First remove the bearing out of the non drive side. Followed by the spindle out of the drive side.
>>
>>952413
>>952415
>>952564
Forgot to mention that you will need temporarily reinstall the drive side crank arm to loosen the lock nut. Also the drive side bearings will come out from the drive side if that isn't painfully obvious.
>>
>>952564
>SPA 4
You can also use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer in a pinch. I believe its reverse thread so tapping LIGHTLY to the right will loosen that up. You also don't want it super tight when rebuilding as you will side load the bearings and cause trouble. Finger tight then a couple taps for good measure to snug it.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.