[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /out/ like to use for water purification?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

File: bot1SuA.png (151KB, 415x547px) Image search: [Google]
bot1SuA.png
151KB, 415x547px
What does /out/ like to use for water purification?
>>
File: IMG_0038.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0038.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here is my Sawyer mini set up like pic related. I've got less than $45 into this. The platypus gravityworks would be my second choice. But it's twice as much with a shorter filter life and it's filter isn't as fine.
>>
File: UL.jpg (871KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
UL.jpg
871KB, 1120x1680px
>>948979
I think you copied my setup, lol.

Sawyer is pretty awesome.
>>
>>948989
Oh lawd, is that a pile of jalapeno cheese?
>>
>>948989
Nice numbers.
I guess like minds think alike. The zefal bladder was to cheep to pass up. Whats in the white tube? Ive been wanting to add an activated charcoal secondary filter to improve taste. But I cant find any containers with a nipple on each end to connect the hoses.
>>
>>948948
I chew two pebbles and spit them into the water after 10 min. The enzymes produced in the mastication process are powerful enough to kill the microbes in the water.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/05/12/fluoride-overdose.aspx
>>
File: PreciousBodilyFluidss.gif (987KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
PreciousBodilyFluidss.gif
987KB, 500x300px
>>948998
>>
File: katadyn.jpg (126KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
katadyn.jpg
126KB, 1024x682px
><3 people, and <3 liters/day/person
sawyer mini will do fine
>3+ people, and/or 3+ liters/day/person
pic related
>>
Just drink whatever water, your body will sterilize it then you can drink sterile water.
>>
>>949008
This guy gets it. If you can't get over giardia you should probably never reproduce
>>
>>948998

>believing a single word out of Mercola

Enjoy your avoidable death.
>>
>>948979
Can you explain this pls
>>
Sawyer Mini
>>
>>948948
>>
improvised charcoal (can method in campfire) sock filter +boiling
or
sock filter, boil and acquatabs
and a pureeasy as a backup

If the water was real clean and smelt good I would just use a tab in it

You should always always decontam water.
Botulism will kill you out as it makes you weak and puke and stupid in the head. Nothing good about flukes and worms either
>>
Why does no one else use tabs?
>>
>>949497
...What do you not get?
>>
>>948948
Realistically, why would you need purification that isn't just boiling the shit out of your water? I was considering buying a sawyer set up as well though to be honest.
>>
>>949533
>Realistically, why would you need purification that isn't just boiling the shit out of your water? I was considering buying a sawyer set up as well though to be honest.

tabs are handy and you can just use a clean sock to get any stuff out first.

waterlice are a good sign it is fit to drink if you are really really stuck
>>
>>949536
and you do not need to set a fire if you are moving
>>
Are tabs just as good as filtering or boiling? They always seemed kinda shady to me.
>>
>>949545
>Are tabs just as good as filtering or boiling? They always seemed kinda shady to me.

The best filtering could remove stuff like heavy metals or nitrates but if you are worried about bugs and parasites then tabs are fine. Idodine also works but has a shitty taste and does not kill as many bugs.

A lot of bugs will survive a light short boil.

Best is a debris filter ten minute boil and then tabs. Your canteen or bladder should *always' have a pice of tab in it as they are potential breeding grounds.

If you are really any distance away from help and you get the shits bad or serious puking and disorientation you are fucked.
>>
>>948991
Peanut butter. Those cheese packets are pretty good on rice though.

>>948997
White tube is a fishing spindle, also holds all my tackle inside. I've only ever ran into a couple lakes that had a pretty off or fishy taste, I just try not to stay at those places very long.

>>949007
In my groups, every person is responsible for their own water, and we never break into groups of less than two, so there's always a backup. I don't image I'd feel very comfortable if there was only one filter for three people.

>>949497
You fill the dirty bag with water and hang it someplace. The water flows through the tube and filter into the clean bag. You drink from the clean bag. In my setup, the clean bag is the Camelbak, you can just barely see the bite valve at the top of the bag. >>948989

>>949533
Filtered cold water is more refreshing, doesn't require starting a fire (which also means it can be done in areas with burn bans), takes less time than boiling and doesn't make it taste stagnant.
>>
>>949553
I've never used tabs. I'll use a Sawyer if I'll need more than a few gallons, otherwise I'll just use bleach.

You can also keep a bit of baking soda water in your bladder for storage if you're worried about things growing in it. Very toxic to microbes, totally harmless to humans when diluted.
>>
>>949559
>baking soda water in your bladder for storage if you're worried about things growing in it. Very toxic to microbes, totally harmless to humans when diluted.

I'll check up on that thank anon but I'll keep using tabs also I have loads of them and you get sheep drowned in the drainage ditches and festering there and that flows on to the streams.Water would look beautiful and still carry filth in it.

It's not as much of an issue as it pisses rain all the time in my out zone anyway but on travel I would always use the tabs as most places there will be shit going in moving water unless you are right at the spring..
>>
>>949557
we always have a sawyer as a back up filter because it's so light. but the katadyn is so much easier and faster it's a no brainer primary
>>
>>949497
Hi >>me here
>>949557 <He summed it up pretty well.
>Fill dirty bag
>Hang in tree
>open valves (red & black things)
>do what ever while the water flows to the clean bag
>close valves
>disconnect clean bag from filter
>hang clean bag in tree or put in bladder pocket in your pack
>open valve
>drink fill pots w/e.

If the hose from the dirty bag is longer you'll get higher pressure at the filter = shorter filtration time. Mine is about ~6' Also you cant see it but I have a wire mesh screen in the dirty bag where the hose connects to act as a prefilter for bigger particles. Whole thing weighs about 11oz
>>
>>949515
They take a while and add taste to the water. They also have reduced effectiveness in cold water. Here in the PNW most streams probably dont get above 45F if even that. They're all glacial fed. Filters work fine (in N.A.) and you don't have to wait as long.
>>
Lemon and sun. When I get the money I will buy a Sawyer.
>>
>>949588
Pretty much any type of salt will work, I just happen to use baking soda for hygiene while /out/, so it's convenient. I'm sure the tabs aren't harmful though.

>>949596
I can put the whole 2L through my Sawyer in about five minutes when it's used as a gravity system. As long as you back-flow it every couple Gal or so, it's pretty quick.

>>949619
Thanks for the nod! I'm going to have to steal that pre-filter, that's awesome!

>>949623
We cascadians get the best /out/ drinking water.
>>
My stomach. In most cases, it is a stainless steel pot and a fire pit. The less you need to carry water the better. It is often dead weight, so I only carry bottles of water for emergency situations. I live in a relatively alkaline region, so drinking sips at a time is more nourishing than the tap. I am also drinking water on the homestead from an artesian well. Took a while to get used to, but it is very hydrating. Never drink from still water deposits. Go swimming in warm lakes. Take probiotics, eat honey. Build a strong and proliferic gut to eliminate parasites.
>>
Should I worry about viruses at all in the US, or are these sawyer minis fine?
>>
>>950642
In the Us and Canada you'll be fine with the sawyer. Most agree that viruses aren't a problem here. You should still choose your water wisely. Chemical pollution can be a problem.
>>
I boil my water because survival skills aren't difficult for people that aren't bitches.
>>
How much water does /out/ like to carry at a time?
>>
>>951884
About 3.5 liters. I go inna desert a lot.
>>
>>948991
>MRE Jalapeno cheese
The shits I took after eating that stuff in the field were heinous. Reeked of sulpher. Never again.
>>
>>951893
You shut your whore mouth. MRE jalapeno cheese is the food of the /out/ and /k/ gods.
>>
>>951905
This statement makes sense if /out/ and /k/ worship the devil.

I work innawoods so being sidelined for 20 minutes to take sulpheric playdough snake shits was a bad time
>>
Purification tablets, at least the kinds i've seen in stores take 4 hours in darkness to fully sterilize water.

Considering a Sawyer mini is $20 ish USD, why not? I have 1 in my van, 1 in my pack, 1 in my bike bag.
>>
>>950658
So, you're not a bitch because you stay in your campsite all day boiling water and eating trailmix?

I drink a gallon/day or more when hiking. Even if I wanted to carry 2L worth of steel flask, which I don't, that's still having to stop twice or more each day to gather firewood and boil water. I'd rather just filter my water so I can keep going, instead of having to keep stopping, you know, like a little bitch.
>>
>>953188
Holy shit, this.

I've relied on my 1L pot to boil water for drinking. Jesus Christ it's a tedious process. And consumes time you could spend actually having fun outside.

Filtration is so much better in every way.
>>
I filter water with a bandana and boil it in a stainless bottle.
>>
File: 1458764569387.png (783KB, 949x632px) Image search: [Google]
1458764569387.png
783KB, 949x632px
I have a sawyer but I haven't used it yet. Winter is my favorite time of year to be doing outdoor stuff.

So, how do I keep it from freezing? Or does it not matter?
>>
>>949511

More details please.
>>
>>953244
if the residual water inside a sawyer freezes it ruins the filter because the water expands and (microscopically) shreds the functional part of the filter. so if yiou're worried about it freezing keep it in an interior pocket next to your body during the day and in your sleeping bag at night
>>
>>953246
So blowing into it really hard to force water out won't prevent the issue?
>>
>>953247
you'll never get all the water out
>>
>>953253
I thought so. So just keep it as close to my body as possible? It makes me really paranoid for some reason.
>>
>>953261
Pretty much. If you're super paranoid, just put it in a ziploc bag and shove it down your pants with the ziploc part hanging over the top your waistband. Your crotch is super warm.
>>
>>948948
I would use
Bleqch
Peroxide
The sun
Every other filter
Drinking my oen piss

Brfore i ever used a katadyn.

Idiits on here rave about inlin filters. Gi try sucking muddy water up a lifewtraw
>>
>>953272
That gives me some ideas, thanks. I treat my sleeping bag like something that keeps me alive, so I'll do the same for my water filter.
>>
>>953246

What if you run some everclear through it?
>>
File: eb4.jpg (32KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
eb4.jpg
32KB, 600x486px
Sawyer mini is pretty neat
>>
>>953276
You put your water through a coffee or sock filter before putting it through your actual water filter, fagnuts.
>>
>>953297
Yes of course. Lets use a sock to triple filter my water just so my saeyer mini can process it. Saeyermini isthebest. Except fdor the fact it doesnt do shit for viruses and barely passes bacteria tests.

Katadyn is a goood filter, its just that they cost 3x more than first need which is a superior filter

But all my typing is wasted on you morons who wil just use sawyer minis because theyare cheap.
>>
>>948948
Iodine.
>>
>>953289
This is an interesting idea....
>>
>>953412
>You
>>
File: here_is_your__you_.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
here_is_your__you_.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>953412
>Except fdor the fact it doesnt do shit for viruses and barely passes bacteria tests.
IE "It passes bacteria tests"

>Katadyn is a goood filter, its just that they cost 3x more than first need which is a superior filter
>$56 is 3x than $110

If viruses are a concern then you should get a filter that takes care of viruses. But if you're /out/ anywhere in the first world you're fine. Unless you're pulling your water from a canal during a natural disaster or something (and even then you 're probably fine).

If you're in Central America/Asia/Africa then by all means, pay the extra for virus protection.
If you're backpacking in the woods in North America and filtering river water a Sawyer/Katadyn is more than adequate

tl;dr you're a sperg
>>
>>950623
Until the rodents shit 10 mins before you drink dowmstream of it
>>
>>953289
This would probably keep it from freezing, but realistically, it's not worth the trouble (or the waste of alcohol).

I've used a sawyer for years, never had an issue. Honestly, in most cases (in the US) you probably don't even need to treat your water. I know a guy who did the whole PCT without it. Most of the gear people own, they bought because they fell for scare tactics.
>>
>>948948
I have a big copper pitcher which I fill with water and leave it overnight. Sometimes I use a silver cup when I need water soon, by letting it sit for an hour then drinking it.
>>
stick a small piece of solid silver in your flask

helps (use tabs and boil all water first)
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>956111
>>948979
>>948989
>>949007
>>949511
>>948948

>10 minutes of boiling kills every single living shit that's in the water

I don't want to call y'all stupid spoiled millennial tutu-wearing GEARDO princesses, so I'll give you a benefit of the doubt:

What the FUCK is wrong with you?

Seriously, maybe it's cause I'm from post-soviet state, and I'm "backwards", but untill recently literally nobody used any chemical or mechanical filters except for milliary that has huge purification plants mounted on trucks. It's a fucking meme gear that came from people who want your money.

Just fucking use a strainer with some material, coffee filters work great, than boil the shit out of it.
>>
>>956222
what if you cant light a fire

>hiking
>you fall in a river, manage to get out, but all your lighters and matches are temporarily out of action
>you are thirsty

i agree that boiling is an excellent idea, but in some cases not possible due to lack of fuel, ignition source etc etc
>>
>>955947
This.
I was canoeing for some time (all in all several weeks) in Sweden.
All we ever did was filling the water in transparent canisters and letting it there for one hour. And we didn't do even that all the time. No one of our group was ever sick during that time.
If you have doubt about the quality you can always boil it. No need for anything else if you don't start going /out close to big cities or industrial areas...
>>
File: Constanza Belittles.jpg (41KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
Constanza Belittles.jpg
41KB, 375x375px
>>956491
>not keeping your firestarters in a waterproof container
>>
>>956509
Yes, it was just an example though.

Sometimes it is not always possible to light a fire, for many reasons.

Having access to safe water without having to boil it , is useful.
>>
>>956222
Boiling water is a backup when you have no other options, but unless you want to haul around a whole day's water all day long, you're much better off carrying a smaller amount of water, and a small, inexpensive water filter.

Of course, that's only if streams of reasonably clear water are plentiful in your area.
>>
>>949011
>Giardia infections usually clear up within a few weeks. But you may have intestinal problems long after the parasites are gone. Several drugs are generally effective against giardia parasites, but not everyone responds to them. Prevention is your best defense.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/giardia-infection/basics/definition/con-20024686
>>
>>956222
I am worried about heavy metals whatever random bullshit they are throwing into the water nowadays. Depends on where you go I guess.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.