[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Salted Meat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

File: salt.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
salt.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
So if you're out on a long journey, and you hunt some game along the way, how do you best preserve it for that journey? No electricity, no fridges, nothing but what you can carry in a backpack.

Do you just cut it into chunks and drop it in a jar full of salt? Wash the salt out in some water when you want to, boil it up into some stew?
>>
>>948519
Nobody today is going to be carrying all the crap you'd need for that kind of preserving. Eat the meat ASAP, maybe make the carcass into broth and reduce that down into portable soup if you can be added to spend the time.
>>
>>948528
So if you kill something you basically have to accept that you're either stuffing your belly that night, or having most of it go to waste if you can't turn it into broth?
>>
>>948528
>soup wont spoil
>>
Are /out/ist's really this stupid?

Wouldn't jerking or smoking it be the first thing to come to your minds?

>lets eat buffalo SOUP all winter
>>
>>948531
doesn't smoking mean require a smokehouse?
>>
>>948519
you have shit taste in anime
>>
>>948533
>Drifters wasn't one of the better shows last season
>>
>>948528
Also, you didn't adress my idea of just dumping it in a sealed jar of salt.

Is that because the idea is just mind-numbingly retarded? I know literally nothing about the topic.
>>
>>948534
Last season was mostly shit, and drifters was only middle tier.
Unless you seriously thought that Drifters' janky animation, extremely ham-fisted narrative, and 'hilarious' shit tropes were good, or something.I honestly struggle to name one good thing about it that another anime doesn't do many times better.
>>
>>948530
Portable soup - IE, broth that has been reduced down into a state not dissimilar to rubber, which keeps for months and needs only be boiled in water to go back to being edible broth.

>>948536
Look "salt beef" by J.a.S Townsend on YouTube.
>>
>>948541
Very enlightening. If you're adventuring around with a large backpack, would you ever carry a small barrel of this size for this purpose? It seems like if you know you'll be killing something, and want to preserve as much of it as you can, you might carry one around for that occasion. But then I've never done that, so it might be too heavy/take up space for something more vital?
>>
>>948540
>Last season was mostly shit, and drifters was only middle tier.
Middle tier amidst a shit season is still good, relatively.
>All your other complaints
Seems like you just don't like hirano
>>
>>948519
I'll salt your your meat if you know what I mean
>>
>>948519
It doesn't really work that way, no. What you could do is brine it overnight and then smoke it until it's dry, which is safer than putting it straight to the smoker.

>>948532
Nope, it just requires smoke. It's better if you can trap the smoke by wrapping the area with a tarp or branches, but it can be done by just hanging it over a fire. You'll probably also want strictly hardwood for smoking, conifer smoke tends to taste like ass.
>>
>>948854
>Nope, it just requires smoke. It's better if you can trap the smoke by wrapping the area with a tarp or branches, but it can be done by just hanging it over a fire. You'll probably also want strictly hardwood for smoking, conifer smoke tends to taste like ass.
A lot of the preservation methods I have seen deal with raw meat. Wouldn't hanging it over a fire cook the meat?
>>
>>948855
>>948854
Actually I should have asked if having the eat cooked would even matter.
>>
>>948855
You're shooting for a low, cool and smoky fire.

>>948857
In a survival situation you're probably better off letting it cook, to kill off any bacteria as quickly as possible, but it'll be tougher than 'true' jerky.
>>
>>948859
Basically, you can still make real jerky over an open campfire, but in a situation where food poisoning could actually kill you, I'm recommending erring on the safe side and letting it cook (or brining it if you access to salt)
>>
>>948859
So if you smoke the meet rather than salting it, how would you package and store the smoked meat? And how long does smoked meat last compared to salted meat?

>>948860
So it's a case of either or? One can't smoke and cook the meat before packing it in salt and brining it?
>>
File: BeefJerky4.jpg (132KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
BeefJerky4.jpg
132KB, 400x300px
if it's hot enough out, marinate with some curing salt and just hang it out to let the sun dry it

low heat from a fire could certainly speed it up
>>
>>948861
Brining is optional, but the extra salt will make it last longer.

When I said smoking, I meant jerking it over smoke.

How long jerky will last depends on the water and fat content left in it. Completely dry lean meat will last several weeks if you can keep it out of moisture.

I would say it would depend on what I wanted to do. If I needed it to last a few days, I'd just jerk it. If I needed it to last months, I'd brine it for a couple days, then jerk it, then pack it in dry salt to store it.
>>
>>948864
How would you jerky meat out in the wild?
>>
>>948868
Just like >>948863
>>
>>948869
I see. How long of a process would that be?
>>
>>948870
There's too many factors like cut thickness and ambient humidity to give any real approximation, but probably 12-24 hours.
>>
So it seems the options for preserving meat come down to either:

A) Pack it tightly in a container with lots of salt on each layer, pour brine in to fill the gaps, seal and store

Or

B) Smoke it into jerky over a low fire, pack it in dry salt.

Is there any difference between these methods? Any glaring situational advantages? Keep in mind that in this hypothetical scenario, you've no modern conveniences and are on the move, in the wilds.
>>
>>948870
When you are dealing with doing it properly vs shitting g your guts out and dying from dehydration and food intake loss, you are probably better looking it up from an official source rather than a Cambodian penis extension enthusiast message board.
>>
>>948870
this anon >>948863 here

depends on the thickness of the meat and the weather, could be less than a day, could take several days

I dried some outside during the summer with a fan blowing on it before leaving for the day, and it was pretty dry by that night...but I had pounded the pieces pretty thin
>>
>>948876
Actually smoking it is going to be at least a full days work of gathering enough firewood and then waiting long enough for low heat cooking to do its job.

Basically if you are going to be making a large kill you better be prepared.
>>
>>948877
>official source
Any suggestions? A lot of my google searches result in "Use a freezer" or "Use a dehydrator".
>>
>>948876
>glaring situational advantages
Jerky will weigh about 1/10th of what salt-packed meat will and will last longer as long as it stays dry, also doesn't technically require any salt, it just helps. All very important factors to being on the move. Salted meat may have the quick-cook advantage, but in my opinion that's not really a deal-breaker. maybe if you were homesteading next to a salt source, but otherwise, I'd go jerky.
>>
>>948519
The Native Americans made pemmican - definitely worth looking into if you're looking for low-tech methods for long-term storage of nutritionally complete, lightweight food.
>>
>>948883
I see. It definitely seems that smoking it into jerky is the better option for this scenario. And is a warm day like the other anon mentioned recessary? Or just preferrable? Can it be done in the shade, or when it's cold, just assuming there's a warm fire under it?
>>
>>948885
If it's exceptionally cold, you'll get very little heat transferring from the fire to the meat, which will slow the process of drying, as will high humidity or God forbid, rain. Shade might affect it a little, but ideally, you want a very dry, very warm day, in direct sun, hot fire and loads of smoke.
>>
>>948887
cont.
You'll also need to be skilled enough at hunting that you know when you're most likely to get game, and have the smoking rack built and enough firewood ready to last the first couple hours, because all of that time will be spent trying to slice the meat as thinly as possible. After the first couple hours, anything that isn't already over the fire will have started to spoil, at that point you can probably still get a couple huge steaks going on the coals while you grab more wood to finish out the rest of the dry.
>>
>>948818
"relatively good" does not make a show good.

boiling it down to "you just don't like [creator name]" is completely irrelevant. Everything that I identified are the hallmarks of shit tier shounen. It is objectively a bad show.
>>
>>948891
Not at all, the things you take issue with are hallmarks of Hirano. Hellsing was the same. Discordant comedy, ham-fisted narrative, tropes. The only valid criticism of the show itself is the animation.

>>948887
>>948888
I see. So say it's cold and snowy, though not necessarily snowing. Would the best way to salvage it be to build a canopy of branches or something to trap the smoke near the meat?
>>
>>948896
In a situation like that, you actually have the liberty of cutting off chunks and using the snow to cool the meat down to the point that it won't spoil as quickly, which would give you some advantage.

As far as preserving it at that point, yeah. You'd need to build a smoke hut to hold in the heat and smoke as much as possible. Both should be unbearable to be in for more than 30 seconds.
>>
>>948896
If a creator's style is that his work is bad, then his work is bad. I fail to see the ambiguity.
>>
>>948899
>You'd need to build a smoke hut to hold in the heat and smoke as much as possible.
Carp, that's way too much investment. So it might be salt after all.
>>
>>948901
I don't feel tropes are inherently bad, and I've no illusions about hirano's corny writing. You don't enjoy it and that's fine.
>>
>>948902
If you're located near the ocean in the frozen north, sure, salt would be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd still go jerky.

You said on the move, right? As a backpacker myself, I can tell you that 5000 cal/day in dehydrated food is a LOT lighter than 5000 cal/day in fresh food plus salt, plus brine.
>>
how about you actually try it now instead of just theorizing for later...
>>
>>948907
[spoiler]Because I'm writing a story, not actually going innawoods[/spoiler]

>>948906
Man that weight really is a clincher.

>>948884
This on the other hand is something to keep in mind. though it seems like something to prepare beforehand.
>>
>>948911
>writing a story
lol, fucking knew it.

>weight
Yup. I spend more time thinking about how heavy my bag will be if I buy a new piece of gear than I do about anything else /out/ related. And I'm not even one of the crazy ones, it's just important.
>>
>>948915
It seems like the most effective thing for me to do here given the environment, is to just smoke it as effectively as possible give the time, under a hot fire with a concealed canopy, and store it in salt.

Won't last as long as optimally possible, but it'll last long enough.
>>
The thing with weight is, the heavier your pack is, the more calories you burn carrying it, which requires carrying more food, which means even more weight, and so on and so forth. More weight also decreases the distance and speed that you can travel, and increases risk of injury.

As far as it being difficult to make a drying hut, it doesn't need to be anything fancy. Five ridge poles, some cross-beams to hold the meat and just throwing green branches all around the outside would be plenty efficient.

Is your protagonist on the run, trying to get somewhere or just trying to live off the land?
>>
>>948917
I knew weight was obviously a factor, but I never thought of it from that angle. Thanks.

> Five ridge poles, some cross-beams to hold the meat and just throwing green branches all around the outside would be plenty efficient.
Your language made it seem like it should be large enough to walk inside of, which made me hesitant.

>trying to get somewhere
Yeah, just trying to get somewhere. It's sort of urgent to low weight is important, but it's nothing you'd ride a horse to death over. Not that there's a horse available.
>>
File: dry rack.jpg (41KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dry rack.jpg
41KB, 800x600px
>>948920
>large enough to walk inside of
Depends on the animal, but the construction is still pretty simple. Jerky weighs about 1/4 of what it would as fresh meat, so if it were me and I dropped, say, an elk that weighed 250 lbs, 150 of that being meat, ~35 being dry weight, that might not even be worth carrying it all, so I might not build a dry hut big enough to do all 150 lbs anyway.

>get somewhere
If it wasn't a life or death situation and building materials were hard to come by and there was snow available, I might even set aside half of what I wanted to keep and do it in two batches.

Pic related is a simple dry rack. Red is cross beams to hang meat from, black is stacked insulating material. One of these about five feet tall would be enough to dry all the meat I would be able to slice in an hour and a half.
>>
>>948925
That's a top-down view, it would probably take 2-4 layers depending on height and how big the fire was.
>>
>>948925
>>948928
If this can be done with branches, leaves and vine I think this may be the ideal method.
>>
>>948930
The five corners are the only places that need to be fastened, the branches that make the inner pentagon just rest on top.

At five foot tall, maybe two hours worth of work, including finding or downing branches to build it.

What is the protagonist hunting with?
>>
>>948931
A sentient sword, kek. The encounter wasn't planned. The prey is a wounded giant boar but the yield is only it's leg, as there isn't time to do anything with anything more. The rest went to the ones who wounded it.
>>
>>948938
Well, I hope he got the ham and not the shoulder. I kind of see your insistence on salting though, pork can be made into jerky, but you'll be left with a lot of fat drip, so that'll be lost calories. But honestly, I'd still lean towards jerking if he's carrying it, even if salt were freely available.
>>
>>948942
>Well, I hope he got the ham and not the shoulder.
Yeah, he did. It sounds like smoking is the most sensible course of action. Salt is available, as there was some intention to hunt for game, just nothing that large.

So I'm thinking smoked and wrapped in some form of packaging with lots of salt between layers. I know "good enough" isn't good enough when it comes to this sort of thing, but I hope it's good enough.
>>
>>948911
>though it seems like something to prepare beforehand.
Yes and no, it's made of 3 easily-obtainable ingredients - ground dried meat bits, dried berries, and rendered suet. You could make this out in the field with some hunted game like deer. Here in Jersey we'd use raspberries, cranberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

You could also use honey instead of rendered suet since honey is also shelf-stable - depending on your tastes it may make the pemmican more palatable. But yeah, it's magic trail food - one candy-bar size slice is nutritionally sufficient for one adult for one day.
>>
>>948946
>one candy-bar size slice is nutritionally sufficient for one adult for one day.
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I also read that it could store for up to 10 years.
>>
>>948945
Smoking and salt-packing would be adequate, but you'd still be carrying whatever water you don't remove by drying. Jerking and salting would last pretty much forever and weigh very little by comparison.

>>948951
You'd need a little more than a cup of pure suet to get the minimum daily requirement of calories. Pemmican is about 2/3 suet by volume. So realistically, it would be closer to two cups/day depending on berry content, but that's still pretty good.
>>
>>948958
>Smoking and salt-packing would be adequate, but you'd still be carrying whatever water you don't remove by drying. Jerking and salting would last pretty much forever and weigh very little by comparison.
Sorry, that's what I meant by smoking. Jerking it.

So just so I understand the process, build a smoke-hut, start a low fire (With green wood for smoke?) Cut the meat, salt it, leave it in there for 12-24 hours. Pack in more salt and good to go? Is that the gist of it?
>>
>>948960
The smoke hut only being necessary for extreme cold or damp weather and salt-packing only being necessary to extend the shelf life to several months as opposed to only several weeks, yes.

If it comes up, the thickness of the slices shouldn't be more than 1/4 inch.
>>
>>948968
>The smoke hut only being necessary for extreme cold or damp weather
Yes.
>salt-packing only being necessary to extend the shelf life to several months as opposed to only several weeks, yes.
Oh. Well, several weeks is all that's necessary honestly. In that case, how would you best store it unsalted?

>If it comes up, the thickness of the slices shouldn't be more than 1/4 inch.
Got it, thanks.
>>
>>948969
>how would you best store it unsalted?
Since it hasn't been brined or seasoned, it's basically just a hard strip of dried meat. Any kind of container will hold it for as long as it stays dry. A fabric bag would be adequate as long as it's cold enough that the relative humidity was zero.
>>
>>948972
Yeah, it will be that cold. Alright, cloth will do. Plus maybe a tiny bit of salt for taste. Thanks for all the help Anon, and all the others who offered idea.s
>>
>>948988
Knowledge is meant to be shared.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.