[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shortwave Radio Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: shortwave.jpg (61KB, 580x477px) Image search: [Google]
shortwave.jpg
61KB, 580x477px
Anyone else on /out/ still listen to shortwave radio?

I use the Tecsun PL-660 and it's great. It's very durable and it picks up SW broadcasts well, especially when I'm out of FM Range and AM stations are inaudible during the daytime.
>>
File: IMG_20170111_215402208.jpg (596KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170111_215402208.jpg
596KB, 2592x1456px
>>947938
I have a PL-680 which I sometimes use while /out/.

Propagation conditions were great today so I was picking up a lot of American East coast stations loud and clear. Very pleased.

Also good for listening to radio ameteurs. Have you ever been able to pick up anything on the air band?
>>
>>947938
Got that exact radio. Always had a tough time pulling in any stations that aren't jesus radio or Alex jones. (I'm in the us) probably mostly an antenna and interference issue.
Fm is good with that gain switch. Pretty meaty ferrite bar for am. But I dunno if I'd call it durable.

If you get a tunable loop antenna, you'll be able to get am stations from insane distances with this.
>>
I have 2 pl-360's. Never used them, bought got a good deal on them(2 for the $40, both with extra external wire FM/SW antennas). I mostly chose them for the price, and formfactor(strapping it onto a belt is easier since its basically the same size/shape as a 600ml bottle. Slips into a bottle holder on a bag without problem.)

Seems theres been 2 revisions since i bought them to add more features and better battery life. Meh. I figure the reception in my area is shit anyway(middle of Canada) so not much use anyway, until i actually take one out camping.
>>
>>948155
Shortwave can go a third of the way around the globe with good conditions. You'll be able to pick up plenty in Canada.
>>
>>947938
that's what reviewbrah uses. you should try picking up his vrow shortwave show if you can.
>>
>>948245
Who what and where does broadcast from? What freq?
>>
>>947938
>>>/diy/1109675

We already have a breddy gud amateur radio thread over in /diy/

>>948093
If you can get way /out/ then a long-wire antenna (especially with a balun and a ground) will be great.
>>
>>948315
It's pretty good, I hear it each Thursday at 8 PM Eastern on 7490.

Broadcast from Maine and targets the U.S

Plays a good mix of talk and listener requested music.
>>
>>947938
I have the Tecsun GR-88 with the hand crank power. The reception quality and fine control of the knob is excellent. I pick up shit all the time that my older digital shortwave radio can't.
>>
>>947938
I have a Sony SW7600GR that I carried with me when I was working on a ship for two years. The ship travelled literally around the world and every night I would try and see if I could hear anything broadcasted on shortwave.

I ended up attaching to my radio's antenna a really long piece of electrician's wire that hung outside my window. Still couldn't catch much because reception was blocked by the containers that my ship carried (the wire antenna hung in between the accomodation block and the containers).

Reception was pretty good at the bridge though, I could receive BBC world service easily.
>>
>>948947
Kind of off topic, but how does one get a job on a ship?
>>
>>948964
Check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Merchant_Marine_Academy

Or you can become a chopper pilot and fly from tuna vessels.
>>
>>948093
You don't like getting redpilled while hiking?
>>
>>948093
>Always had a tough time pulling in any stations that aren't jesus radio or Alex jones.
You can't get Radio Cuba on it in the US? Where the fuck are you, Hawaii?
>>
>>950584
This, RHC blasts in all the time here in Florida.

Their English programs are pretty solid though.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.