[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hammock Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 68

Hammock time.

Direct all hammock related questions here.

Post your set up.

Ask questions.

This isnt the place to say you think tents are better than hammocks. They both have their place, and everyone can use what they like. Remember, this is a happy hammock thread.
>>
>>947617
I've only used a sleeping bag inside a hammock for insulation. Is it worth it to get an underquilt?
>>
>>947738
def get a mat. I use a self inflatable one and it works wonders. Always insulate your back!
>>
>>947738
If you're serious about hammocking, then yes.

They aren't cheap, but they're worth it. If you don't use a hammock often, a pad will work alright.

Regardless, for colder temps, under insulation is essential.
>>
Just bought an ENO Guardian SL. Should be arriving in the mail soon.

Did I fuck up?
>>
>>947823
is that the bug net thing? I bought one and tested it out recently, it's pretty great. Folds up easily and fits in the little pouch. Only downside is that it took a while to figure out the best way to attach it to the line my hammock was hanging from, and that the storage bag is not attached to the net itself, so you have to keep track of it. Otherwise it's totally worth the money and seems very high quality.

Do you guys every take piss bottles into your hammock with you? Whenever I get in for the night It's a way bigger hassle to get out when you need to piss than it feels like is worth it. I'm thinking about making piss bottles a standard addition to my pack.
>>
>>948426
cut back on the liquids drinking, having to piss in a bottle because you can't stop drinking from your bottle is sad. But handing from a rope in the air, surrounded by insulations of some sort from the elements IS COMFY!!! Too bad anything needed besides trees makes this alot of weight in addition. Those hammock/tents are king if they are high quality and reinforced. DONT DEPEND ON ONLY ONE OR TWO OBJECTS FOR LIFE?COMFORT?EVERYTHING!!!!!
>>
>>948426
Yeah it's the smaller of the two bugnets that ENO has. Not including the one with the insect shield. (What a joke.)

I figured reaching over my head to undo the drawstring won't be the hardest thing in the world, plus I'm not too claustrophobic or anything. I also didn't want anything dragging along the ground either due to stretch.

Looking to fix that with some better webbing.
>>
>>948426
Last time I camped it was like 25 degrees, and I had a belly full of whiskey. I had to pee like 4 times in the night. I just rolled over, pulled my sausage out, and peed out of the hammock. I usually always get up to pee, but just said fuck it that night.
>>
File: 20170126_192818.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_192818.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>948650

Pic of what I peed out of all night
>>
>>948650
Honestly, I can't wait to try this the next time I go camping.
>>
>>948650
Did you get piss on the hammock?
>>
File: image.jpg (976KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
976KB, 2592x1936px
I'm looking at Snugpak for their jungle hammock with net. Most likely picking up some of their sleep system, under and over quilts too.
But my brain tells me ditch the Snugpak hammock and invest in a Warbonnet XLC blackbird.
Does anyone know if Snugpak makes decent gear? I have time to pick my purchases out but buy once cry once methodology is better suited when it comes to quality and durability.
>>
>>949019
Hammock shit resells for like 75% of RRP every fucking time. If you arent comfy af sell that bitch and go for the warbonnet

That's what I did. Started with a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed Bug Free (lol). It was ok. Too short for me.
Now i'm warbonnet ridgerunner mr
>>
>>947617
Always loved hammocks, just started getting into using them for camping about a year ago. Upgradeded to an ENO Sub7 a few weeks ago all love how light it is.

I mostly camp in Florida, and all that airflow over and underneath just feels so damn nice. What would everyone reccomend for a nice lightweight rain fly? Right now I'm just using a tarp and its ok, just heavier than it needs to be and doesn't breathe very well.

The bugs are a bit of a bitch, but if it isn't super windy, a thermacell works. Beside netting any other advice? Not big into netting,
>>
>>948995
Surprisingly no, but I was drunk so I wouldn't have cared anyways.
>>
>>949106
The ENO sub7 is a pretty bad hammock. No offense at all, it's just way too short. It's not even 9 feet long, which would be considered by most to be a kids hammock. Actually, most kids hammocks are 9 feet long.

The sub7 is light, but thats only because it's so short. They made a light hammock by taking a regular length hammock and cutting off a few feet.

Upgrade to a longer hammock and you'll be amazed at the increase in comfort. An 11 foot hammock will really help.

For example, a 1.0 Dutchware Hammock that's 11 feet long, including a ridgeline, dual knotty mods, AND suspenion only weight 11.5 oz.

As for a tarp, it depends on your budget. A great cheap option is a Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rainfly, it's about $30, I have one and it's nice for the price. For more coverage, the Hennessy Hex tarp is good for $60. If you want to save some weight and still have more coverage, the Wilderness Logics tadpole is nice. It's about $100.
>>
>>949019
Do you seriously carry a gun around with you? What kind of fucking pussy are you? Americans are so fucking pathetic.
>>
>>949165
I have one and I see what you mean. I am only 5'9" so it's not that bad but it's no tent or bed either. One thing I have found works well with the short hammock is running the hammock rope out the bottom of the sleeping bag so that it acts as a sleeve over the outside of the bag. No underquilt needed.
>>
>>949019
Blackbird is identified as the most comfy asym hang.

The snug jungle does not look like an asym. Their quilts look nice, the jungle blanket woobie is well liked.
>>
>>950609
This is called a peapod, and a lot of people have good results running a sleeping bag that way.
>>
File: DSC_0815.jpg (608KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0815.jpg
608KB, 1920x1080px
First time using this.
Gonna ditch the rain cover and switch it for a tarp.
>>
>>949645
Nice b8
>>
>>953400
Tarp would definitely be more practical but the top cover would be nice to keep some warmth inside the hammock.
>>
So what do you hammock campers do if there are no trees or rock creations around to hang off of, like in a desert or open prairie? I want to get into backpacking and am interested in a shelter system. Convince me to go hammock and rid me of worries.
>>
>>953666
Well you're fucked unless you bring some sort of strong poles to use in place of trees/rocks/whatever.

Research where you're going and figure out if it's suitable for a hammock. If you mainly hike in flat, treeless places a hammock isn't going to work. You could go the bivy route if you're tired of lugging a tent around.
>>
>>953670
Would trekking poles be able to support the weight of and adult male, 200 lbs and the hammock setup? Or is that based on how you lay out your lines and rope?
>>
>>953682
I don't own or know much about trekking poles, but I would assume no, it's not going to cut it.

you need to either bring strong wooden beams or build some sort of cradle rig to support the weight. Both of these options are heavy as fuck, so unless you're car camping I don't think it will be viable.
>>
>>953400
>camping in the snow
I hope I can do this at least once in my life before I die

t. Australia
>>
>>953682
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPvSn5_T58
>>
>>953682
My trekking poles support me at 6'3 tall and 195 pounds
>>
>>953764
That's quite impressive. Aluminum or carbon fiber?
>>
>>949019

>cz75 compact

my nigga

Got the full size and it fits like a glove. Very solid and snug hand gun.
>>
>>953682
Look at the handy hammock stand, uses trekking poles to set up a hammock.

To be honest though, in some areas, a tent just simply works better. I'm anot avid hammock user, and I haven't slept in a tent in years. However if I lived somewhere other than the northeast USA where trees are literally everywhere, I'd consider a tent.
>>
>>953772
Carbon fibre, my brother is about the same size and his are aluminium. No stress marks on either.
>>
>>953780
/k/ please go you have your own board for CHRIST SAKE.
>>
File: ultimate_survival_grylls.jpg (119KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate_survival_grylls.jpg
119KB, 600x593px
New to hammock camping, can I get some thoughts/opinions on this hammock?

twisted-root-big-mozzi-hammock-4-colors-

It's on sale at woot.com, search the phrase above and first link is for woot.
>>
>>949019
Recently purchased a hammock cocoon from snugpak. Tried it in 33°F weather for a hour when I got it, but took it out the other night when it was around the 50s. It's pretty warm.
>>
What kind of knot setups do you guys use for your ridgelines? I finally got some shit that isn't paracord.
>>
>>954224
Siberian hitch and an adjustable tautline.
>>
File: Nigger vegeta takes the bait.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Nigger vegeta takes the bait.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>949645
not everyone wants to be culturally enriched by wild hogs.
>>
>>954372
Examples:
https://youtu.be/YG_-N4NiSlo

https://youtu.be/Llvnf5_j0EE
>>
>>954206
They are ok. Good price, but a little short (prefer 11ft).

For a starter hammock, you could do a lot worse.
>>
File: 000013.jpg (1MB, 1818x1228px) Image search: [Google]
000013.jpg
1MB, 1818x1228px
where can i get a nice 3season hammock in europe? Budget up to 200eur
>>
File: fKldvVm.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
fKldvVm.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Slept at my spot last night, didn't need to deploy tarp so I left it in the python.
>>
File: IMG_20170219_155300_293.jpg (5MB, 3144x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170219_155300_293.jpg
5MB, 3144x2988px
Serious question, how many people here use continuous ridgelines for their setups? And how much line do you use for it?
>>947738
I use a cheapo closed cell foam pad under my bag, works like a charm
>>
>>955643
A ridgeline is what makes gathered end hammocks comfortable... and is practically necessary for comfort in asym hangs.

10ft hammocks are 85-90'' inches of ridgeline.
>>
>>955648
The hammock goes on the ridgeline too? I thought it was just the tarp.
>>
>>955652
nevermind you are just asking about tarp rigging.
>>
>>955627
did you make the python yourself?
>>
>>953666
If i know im might have trouble finding trees i bring a pad and if i have to set up my tarp that i use with my hammock and sleep on the ground plus if its really cold the pad can be added to my hammock for extra warmth
>>
Anyone tried the ENO ember 2 under quilt? They are $100 bucks. Outdoor vitals has one for 60, but it looks so short that your head would be un protected while using it.
>>
>>956170
not worth the $100, save up and invest in a quality down uq which will actually keep you warm. ENO in general is bottom tier hammocking
>>
>>956170
Yeah ember 2 sucks. It's heavy, isn't very warm, and is very expensive for what it is.

For $100 you can get an arrowhead equipment Jarbidge which will take you to 25 degrees, or for $45 you can get a snugpak underblanket that's good to about 32 degrees.
>>
Just saw this, but today on amazon the Snugpak underblanket is $28.50

With 2 day prime shipping. Not sure if it will stay this price. Camelcamelcamel says it's the lowest price amazon has ever listed for it.

That's ridiculous for an underquilt.

I bought one at $45 and that was a great price for it. $28 is a steal.

You can get the underblanket, and add the hammock quilt, and for $65ish you'd have an underquilt and top quilt good for 32 degrees. Yes they're heavier for backpacking, but overall they will work great.

Not a shill, I use a 20 degree jacks r better set, but just thought I'd point this deal out.
>>
>>956390
I might pick one of these up thanks. The snug pak is pretty good though quality and performance wise?
>>
>>956390
Ended up ordering one, for 28 bucks its worth taking a chance. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>956115
Nope
>>
>>956459
I have one.

Got $28 it's amazing.

It's probably worth 3 times that.

I can't say it's as good as a cottage made Jarbidge, but that's $100 and not full length.

It's a bit big and a bit heavy but for $28 it's an absolute steal.
>>
>>956459
$28 is amazing for an underquilt.
>>
>>947617
Gotta say hammocks are for cucks.

Sorry but true.
>>
File: EjJopdb.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
EjJopdb.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>956510
>>956641
I ended up getting one.

>>956644
pic related
>>
File: IMG_1740.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1740.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>956170
I actually have one of both. I think they're the same warmth (I sleep hot), but the Outdoor Vitals one is so much lighter and packs much smaller. It's also 100x easier to hang than the ENO is
>>
File: 7155224649_5684f033b9.jpg (116KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
7155224649_5684f033b9.jpg
116KB, 400x286px
I'm going camping somewhere with a lot of malaria and heavy rain. Keeping the mozzies off me is a huge fucking priority. I've got a permethrin-treated pop-up tent, but I'm considering a hammock because dry ground might also be hard to find.
What hammock would you recommend for a tropical environment? I think I'll use my old tarp/poncho to keep the rain off me.
Can mosquitos bite your ass through the bottom of a hammock?
>>
I got a Chillax Double Hammock for Christmas, I told my senpai that I wanted to try Hammock camping and that's what I got. Anybody know anything about these hammocks? I haven't gotten to use it or even pull it out if it's bag yet because it's cold af here in WA and I haven't gone /out/
>>
>>956644
Oh yeah honey let that nigger fuck you in my eno doublenest, ill be over here struggling with my chastity cage in my singlenest while i wait for you to sit your nigger cock ravaged semen dripping pussy on my face. Thats right baby hammocks are for cuckolds and only cuckolds
>>
>>956731
Yes they can bite through most hammock fabric, but permethrin treatment takes care of this.

There are many jungle hammocks out there. Any with a bug net would work. If it rains alot, you NEED a good tarp. Just any old tarp may work, but you'll want good coverage so I'd suggest investing in a decent hammock specific tarp.
>>
>>957329
thanks.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (276KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
276KB, 1280x720px
CamJam XT 500lb

Been hammocking nightly for many months now with no issues. Highly recommend.
>>
File: A Fucking Leaf.png (406KB, 1485x568px) Image search: [Google]
A Fucking Leaf.png
406KB, 1485x568px
Should I get pic related? I'm only going to be on Conservation sites so I'm not staying overnight.
>>
>>957536
How long is it, how much money is that converted into real money?
>>
>>956731
Jungle hammock refers to a double-bottom hammock.

Hennessey "classic" bottom-entry is praised for fooling following insects but only comes on single bottoms.

If you have an UQ or pad the double bottom isn't so necessary... double bottom is feature more for hot climes, 80+ degrees F at night.
>>
>>957587

>What's the size?
10'6" x 6'6". I'm 6'4" so I assume that'll fit me.

>How much money is that converted to real money?
About $80.87. Shipping is up the ass in leafland so everything is always a bit more expensive than Freedomland.
>>
>>957638
I have one like that, they're not bad, but waaaaaaaaay overpriced for what they are.

See if you can find a Wildhorn Outfitters hammock and straps on amazon. $50 (usa) for a hammock and straps to hang from.
>>
File: skeeter.jpg (107KB, 1500x1321px) Image search: [Google]
skeeter.jpg
107KB, 1500x1321px
>>957536
I have a Grand Trunk skeeter beater pro...I have only used it a few times, but it seems like a well made unit.
>>
>>949019
Rob Ski is pretty based.
>>
>>954634
Amazon? I don't know what a 3 season hammock would look like, the whole point is that they're super thin and easy to carry around. In colder weather you just need a thicker sleeping pad and a warmer sleeping bag to get through the night.
>>
>>954634
Like >>958030 said, they are all basically the same...to make them usable all season you either need an under quilt or a closed cell foam mat on the inside otherwise you'll freeze your ass off literally.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an affordable decent quality rain fly? I just use a regular 10x10 tarp right now but it is kind of bulky. It would be nice to have something that came in a stuff sack and would take up alot less room.
>>
>>958347
Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rainfly is nice. Sometimes it's on woot for like $17 with $5 shipping. It's like 30 or so on Amazon. It's a solid tarp. I've been using one for over a year.

It's not really meant for winter, since it's a diamond configuration, but it works great if you don't need to block a lot of wind.

The Hennessy Hex is also a very good cheap tarp, but is 2-3 times as expensive as a Yukon. It's a hex shape though so it will cover better.
>>
>>958464
Thanks, I'll take a look at those.
>>
>>958347
I was looking to buy thebluestone rain fly on amazon for like 50 bucks. It's not the lightest tarp or the cheapest but it does look pretty solid and offers great coverage.
It also comes with it's own carry sack, guylines, and adjusters.
>>
What's y'all's opinion on trek light hammocks? How do they fit on a scale from blackbird to ENO?
https://www.treklightgear.com/
>>
>>959056
Just a small step above ENO. They're nothing special.
>>
>>959056
>>959551
is ENO the bottom of this scale? What's wrong with them?
>>
>>959749
I can't really imagine there being a crazy amount of difference...I bought a Grandtrunk hammock because it was reasonable priced with a bugnet. I mean it is just nylon and paracord...I am sure alot of these companies probably get their raw materials from the same place. I kind of want to pick up one of these 20 dollar 400lbs hammocks from the big box store to see how well it holds up.
>>
what about hennessy?
>>
Have Jacks 'R' Better Hudson River Quilt already Temperature Rating: 25°-30° F (-4° C)
Want to buy a top or bottom quilt now to supplement it but can't decide what temperature, should I get a 20° top to make my winters perfectly comfortable, or a 35°- 40° quilt for summer use when Hudson River Quilt gets too hot?
>>
File: IMG_1739.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1739.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>959749
Nothing. I've taken mine on 63 nights worth of backpacking in the past year and have no issues with it at all
>>
>>959812
which will net you more versatility? Do you camp more in the summertime or more in the winter? Are the winters cold enough to justify it? Do you feel cold enough in the summer to justify the other?

Is it possible for you to buy the summer one now and save up for the winter one before the next winter?
>>
File: image.png (144KB, 400x467px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
144KB, 400x467px
>>959749
ENO is definitely bottom of the scale.

They're extremely overpriced, and extremely short. Like weirdly short.

A typical hammock is 11ft, that's the standard in the hammock community for comfort. A short hammock would be 10ft, but shorter people sometimes use them.

An ENO is 9'4", which for most high quality hammock makers would be a kids hammock.

They're also like $70, which most high quality custom made hammocks you can get much cheaper. $70 will get you aneed 11ft Dutchware, custom made, with suspension for $70. Hammock and suspension together will be lighter than just the ENO hammock alone.

ENO has marketed itself well. They are sold everywhere, and college girls love them to hang on campus. As a camping hammock, among the hammock community, they are just not taken seriously.

A whole ENO setup will cost more than a high end hammock set up. It'll be heavier, less comfortable, and not as warm as a high quality hammock set up.

I understand the term "hammock community" sounds ridiculous. Pic related.
>>
>>959812
I use a 20 degree Jacks r Better Sierra Sniveler up to temps of about 50. Above that I have a Costco down throw that I use.
>>
Anyone use Enlightened Equipment quilts?

I'd like a quilt that can do for me on the ground and in the hammock too. Wondering if a regular will be too much in the hammock.

(fyi I've never slept in a hammock)
>>
>>960115
You'd still need a pad or underquilt in the hammock. You can use almost any top quilt in a hammock or the ground.
>>
i know everyone here is talking about hammocks in relation to camping, but I really just like chilling in mine and Im not much of a camper

I set it up outside on my porch and read, bring it with my kayaking and set it up on trees in nice secluded spots on the water front around the lake and hangout, etc. Shit is cash. Anyone else?
>>
>>960189
Cheers. I was just wondering if having too big of a top quilt fucks it up and makes it a pain to sleep.
>>
>>960616
Bigger quilt usually means better coverage over your shoulders. I find a quilt that's too long can be a pain though.

Many top quilts have loops sewn in to attach a pad to, like the Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveler quilts. I have one and use it in a hammock but would work on the ground well.
>>
>>960616
For me, it depends on the season. I'm a very hot sleeper and as cool as 40 I find myself taking off my underquilt and by 45 I usually switch to just a fleece sleeping bag liner. Any hotter than 55 and I usually just sleep in the hammock with a thin sheet over top me
>>
>>960525
Yeah I take mine with me to the beach sometimes, find some nice palm trees, and post up.
>>
Recently bought a hammock to camp in just curious as to what angle I sleep at. some are saying set it up at a 30 degree others say make it taunt but it will pinch your shoulders.
>>
>>961158
That's impressive lol... I slept in my hammock once without my underquilt using just a fleece bag liner...it got down to the low 50s. I was sweating my balls off topside and freezing my ass of on the bottom. Ended up stoking the fire and sleeping on the ground next to it...I'll never not take my underquilt again unless it is 65 or warmer at night.

>>962823
Whatever is comfortable for you, mine is pretty long and I normally go droopier than taunt and I can angle myself a little and still lay pretty flat. They are pretty easy to adjust so try a couple different configurations.
>>
>>962847
I assume same rules from tent camping apply keeping the head side slightly higher than the side your feet are on
>>
Now how about using your tent as a bivy in the case of no trees or support with a tarp over you? If I were to do so, what strength of material would be best?
>>
>>962862
ignore tent, i meant hammock.
>>
>>962850
Actually you want your feet end of the hammock to be at least 12 inches higher than your head end.

It sounds counter intuitive, but it helps position you in the hammock. Your body will always slide to the lowest point in the hammock. When the foot end is higher, it keeps your torso in the right spot, so you don't keep slowly sliding too far down in the hammock.

Since you'll be sliding towards the head end more, your feet end up being pretty level with your head.
>>
File: hammock-basics-new.gif (103KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
hammock-basics-new.gif
103KB, 612x792px
>>962823
Definitely not taught. You want the hammock to sag.
>>
>>963023
awesome thank you. I know this might trigger /out/ but I bought a eno as a entry level hammock to spring and summer camp in. I have a under quilt and a tarp on the way till the bugs come out then ill get a bug net.
>>
>>962862
Any fabric for a hammock should be breathable, which isn't ideal for setting up on the ground unless you had a ground cloth. Any material would work I'm sure, but I'd go with a heavier weight fabric personally, like a 2.0 weight or heavier.
>>
>>963027
What underquilt and tarp will you be using?
>>
>>963033
The pro fly and the ember 2 underquilt .
>>
>>963040
Awesome to see someone getting into hammock camping, but I would maybe reconsider the ENO stuff.

The Ember 2 is oddly shaped, quite heavy, and no rated for very cold temps. It's probably good for 40 degrees is all, and it's shaped so that a diagonal lay is hard. It's also $100 which is a lot for a quilt rated for 40 degrees.

You may way to consider returning it. The snugpak underblanket is well under half the price of the ember 2, and is rated for colder temps.

The profly is alright, but it's pretty expensive for what it is. A Hennessy Hex tarp is cheaper, bigger, and better made.

The ENO hammock is also extremely short, and way, WAY overpriced.

Again, it's awesome to see you get out there, and honestly the ENO stuff will work, it's just for the price of an ENO hammock, quilt, and tarp, you could have a custom made higher end hammock set up.
>>
File: hamaca.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
hamaca.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>947617
Im near amazonas, warmth and moist wheather. A hammock like pic related its an advantage? The strips dont will rip my back?
>>
>>963442
Those are good for relaxing in for a short while but not for sleeping.
>>
>>963170
Unfortunately the snugpak underquilt is only available from a 3rd party on amazon right now and it is $60. I picked one up a couple weeks ago for $28 while amazon was still had them in stock, it was definitely a steal at that price.
>>
File: humanwaffle_thumb.jpg (51KB, 504x378px) Image search: [Google]
humanwaffle_thumb.jpg
51KB, 504x378px
>>963442

A nap and no more. Netted hammocks are awful.
>>
>>963528
This belongs to /b/ |:v
>>
File: rumham.jpg (161KB, 1200x906px) Image search: [Google]
rumham.jpg
161KB, 1200x906px
>>960102
>>949165
Can't agree more with the Dutchware recommendation, I've had one for a year and a half and I love it. Super high quality for the price, and it's all custom / hand made. Dutch is a really good guy as well, when I put in my first order I asked if I could get rush shipping to use the hammock on a trip I was going on 3 days after the order, and he hooked me up for free. 10/10.

Hennessey makes great hammocks as well.

>>963528
>Rum Ham?
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (5MB, 3629x2722px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
5MB, 3629x2722px
>>962847
What's crazy is I was more sweaty this weekend in GSMNP at 30-35 degrees with this setup than I think I've ever been while camping before. I slept naked and that's a 30 degree bag
>>
>>963657
Some of that is not wearing a shirt. That type of material seems to make me sweat like crazy. I have to sleep in long sleeves.
>>
>>963683
I don't think so; I ended up stripping down because I woke up sweating. By the end I had taken off just about everything and unzipped my bag
>>
File: out_feels_guy.jpg (37KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
out_feels_guy.jpg
37KB, 511x511px
https://dutchwaregear.com/11ft-netless.html

Can someone help me navigate this? I'm looking to buy a new hammock, but this site is pretty shitty. What's the real difference between Hexon and Argon? Difference between whoopie sling and fixed ridgeline? What's the difference between the 3 types of suspension? I already have whoopie slings for my current hammock, so do I even need to buy one of those three options?
>>
>>963729
>What's the real difference between Hexon and Argon?
Texture mostly
Difference between whoopie sling and fixed ridgeline?
Whoopie sling attaches hammock to a tree. A Ridgeline is a chord running from the head of the hammock to the tail to limit how far it can stretch to allow you to lay flatter inside it.
What's the difference between the 3 types of suspension?
The first two are the same except the length of the tree strap 4ft or 5ft. The second is a big as strap that you adjust hight from the buckle
I already have whoopie slings for my current hammock, so do I even need to buy one of those three options?
Without a suspension system added the ends are bound in wire so that you can add your own
>>
>>963729
Hexon and Argon are similar, but have a slightly different feel. I only have a Hexon hammock, and I like the feel a lot. It's a nice material.

A fixed ridgeline is a cord that's set at 83% of the hammock length. It's very nice to have, and helps you keep the correct sag in the hammock. An adjustable ridgeline is similar, only you can change the length which changes the sag.

If you already have suspension, you don't need to order one.

All hammocks from Dutchware come just as a hammock with nothing else, nothing to gather the ends together. If you have whoopie slings already, you can use those to gather the ends. If you have other suspension, you might want to order 2 continuous loops, which are small loops of cord that will gather the ends, and make an attachment point on the hammock.

Dutch has videos of each of his suspension types on youtube. They're helpful.

If you're ordering a wide hammock, the knotty mod is nice. It uses a little shock cord to cinch the sides up so there isn't excess material flapping in the wind. It's even nice on a normal width hammock, but not quite as necessary as with the wider hammocks.
>>
>>947617
How heavy is your hammock set up?
I just use a tarp tent.
>>
File: 20160713_085115-picsay.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_085115-picsay.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>963966
OP here, that pic is not my set up.

This is my set up. I don't have an accurate scale to weigh everything.
>>
>>955627
I like this setup, please tell me about it.
>>
Every time I read these threads you retards get me conviced I'm doing something wrong after I've proved to myself time and time again that what I do works just the way I want it to.
>>
>>967368
How do you do it?
>>
File: 1489001305647.jpg (171KB, 873x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489001305647.jpg
171KB, 873x900px
Ukfag here going on a roadtrip across US in the Summer. Basic plan is Boston -> New Orleans -> San Fran.

Whats my best idea for hammocks? Do I need mosquito nets, etc?
>>
>>967368
Do it however it works for you. HYOH.

The stuff we post here though is usually because it's the most efficient, or best way of doing something. If you do things a different way it doesn't mean it's "wrong", it's just different.
>>
>>967446
In Boston you may not need a mosquito net. In New Orleans you will literally die of blood loss from all the mosquitos that will eat you alive. They're the size of birds. Swamp mosquitos are insane.

If you're traveling across the US, remember much of the US does not have many trees. The farther east you are, the more trees for the most part. In the middle of the country there are miles and miles of Plains, and out west there's miles and miles of mountains.

I love hammocks, but they're not ideal for everywhere in the USA.

Remember, being from the UK you may not realize just how big the USA is. The brits I've talked to all make the same comment, they can't believe how big it is. You can drive for 5 or 6 hours and not even leave one state, let alone get across the USA (and that's driving across some of the smaller states).
>>
>>967508
Thanks for the info man :)
>>
File: Size-of-USA-vs-UK.jpg (27KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
Size-of-USA-vs-UK.jpg
27KB, 600x476px
>>967508
>>
File: safari-jungle-zip-1280.jpg (77KB, 1280x620px) Image search: [Google]
safari-jungle-zip-1280.jpg
77KB, 1280x620px
are hennessy hammocks any good? Interested in safari asym. I need a great weight capacity as I'm planning to pack my gf in there occasionally and therefore alot of space.

Any suggestions of other hammock models suited for my needs?
>>
>>967637
Honestly, don't try to sleep 2 people in a hammock.

I know some people have, but they're probably a manlet with a 90lbs girlfriend that has the body of a 12 year old boy.

Unless you're literally child sized, 2 people just doesn't work. You continually are pressed together more and more as you both attempt to squeeze into the lowest point of the hammock slowly overnight. It may seem alright at first, and a nap is finw, but after about 4 hours, it's absolutely hell. I tried it once, NEVER again.

Hennessy is good, lots of people like them. It's an all in onevery system so it's pretty easy. If you don't want to sort out what tarp, hammock, and bug net you want, Hennessy takes care of it all. They're a reputable company too.

As for weight capacity though, many hammocks have a 300-500 lbs rating.

But please, just get 2 hammocks, you'll thank me later.
>>
Ticket to the moon a most comfy hammock.
>>
File: 20170313_104710-01.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170313_104710-01.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>947617

Not been out with the hammock since last summer and have lost enough weight to be in rage fro my Hennessey a-sym explorer again. It's been so long sinc I've used it I was a bit sketchy about putting it up in a hurry (weather looked iffy before going out) so I opted for ye olde faithful DD camping hammock.

Spent the morning cozy af drinking birch sap coffee and listening to an audio book while the rain was coming down.... therapeutic as it gets.
>>
>>968231
I spot a woobie
>>
>>968384

>woobie

One of the most under rated and unheard of things in the UK. I love mine, fuck, even my wife has one of her own now.
>>
I worked at a boy scout camp last summer and bought an ENO double nest on a friend's recommendation there, for use when not life-guarding. Don't regret it at all, very comfortable and made teaching kids how to not die on the waterfront bearable. Slept a few nights in it with an assortment of pads and found it to be very comfortable.

Now, since spring is coming soon, I'd really like to get into properly hammock camping. This thread has lead me to believe that ENO products might not necessarily be the way to go, but I've already got my doublenest and atlas straps, so they'll have to do for now until I have a better feel for what sort of upgrade I want, and the money to follow through. In the mean time, I really need a good underquilt. What do you recommend?
>>
>>968937
Really depends on your budget, and what temp ranges you expect. Also, are you car camping, or are you backpacking? Makes a big difference in what quilt you get.
>>
>>969061
Backpacking, and probably 30 degrees is how low I'm thinking. As for my budget, I'd rather not spend more than $200, but if all my decent options are above that I'll save up for a bit longer, then.
>>
>>947617
anyone has experience or an opinion about the hennessy scout zip?
>>
>>969066
Hammock gear
Loco Libre
Underground Quilts
Enlightened Equipment
Jacks R Better

All are great, and custom made, so it may take a month or 2 (even up to 4 months for Loco Libre). Jacks R Better ships within a day or 2, but are slightly more expensive, and only in one color. I use jacks r better quilts, they're great.

If you are on a budget, arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic quilts. They don't compress as well as down, but are half through price and you'd have it within a week.

Look at 3/4 quilts to save weight and cost, but you'll need a pad for under your feet. Some people like that, I personally like full length.
>>
>>969209
scout is fine if you are 5'3'' or shorter
>>
>>969379
Agreed, it is a very short hammock. It's really ideal as a kids hammock though.
>>
>>969379
>>969412
the expedition seems like a better choice then. how does the standard rainfly compare to the hex asym? is it worth to upgrade for 20dollars more?
>>
>>969892
The hex has much more coverage, but also weighs more. It's definitely worth the upgrade if you're not counting ounces. It does however require 2 more stake out points, so there is a slightly longer set up time.
>>
>>956644
Have fun getting cucked by rocky uneven terrain you dirty ground dweller.
>>
>>948438
are you deranged? perhaps? or maybe you could try again
>>
Do you guys think a 3/4 length under quilt is enough bottom-insulation in 50ish degree weather?

I am a super cold sleeper and have been freezing using an underpad. Also mine is super uncomfortable so I'm planning to make an underquilt. I would like it to be full length for warmth but I got meme'd into the bottom entry Hennessy fml.
>>
>>970431
2QZQ

You can have them mod your Hennessy so it has a zipper entry. Well worth it.

You can use a full length with a bottom entry, just have to slide the quilt out of the way.

Many people use 3/4 length quilts at temps much lower than 50. People are using 3/4 quilts in sub zero temps. You just need to used a pad for your feet is all.
>>
>>959836
what tarp is that, and how much does it weigh? Looks nice.
>>
File: 2.jpg (517KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
517KB, 2048x1536px
>>970718
7 ounce cuben fiber tarp from zpacks. It basically weighs nothing, so I bring it along on every trip regardless of if I'm tent or hammock camping. I couldn't be happier with it

http://zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml
>>
Can anyone give a rough r value/temp range for a DIY costco black diamond topquilt? It's 700 fp.
>>
>>971450
Idk but fyi the fill power has nothing to do the temp rating. 700fp just means it has a good warmth:weight ratio. How much does it cost? I need more details
>>
>>971933
The blanket is 60" by 70" ripstop with 1lb of 700 fp down

After making it it looks like there's going to be about an 1 inch loft, looking at the pictures of the guy who's pattern I'm going to follow

(http://www.exploreserac.com/make-underquilt-topquilt-6-steps/)
>>
>>972241
The sewn through design in the limitation. 40 degrees would be the absolute lowest I could go with mine, but if the temps are expected below 50, I'd never bring it. It's really a summer quilt, but some people sleep hot and could be fine with it.
>>
>>953666
flatbed trucks are <3
>>
>>972777
Checked
>>
Hammock gear is now offering an economy line of down quilts. Crazy prices on down underquilts and top quilts. Their site has more info.

Also, underground quilts (UGQ) has a huge sale on tarps now. As low as $90 for an 11ft Hex, $110 for an 11ft winter tarp with doors.

Just a heads up if someone needs high end hammock stuff for cheap. I'm trying to resist breaking down and buying more myself.
>>
>>953400
That looks comfy as comfy can get desu
>>
>>963023
why the fuck is this saved as a .gif?
>>
im a fatasfatass, and im gonna be taking my kid camping, where can i get a hammock designed around the fact ive eaten myself into oblivion, but now want to climb back out?
>>
>>977128
Because it's an image, and .gif is an image filetype.
>>
File: download.png (6KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6KB, 217x232px
>>977174
Tru dat
>>
>>948438
Are you a schizophrenic? Or, did the drugs just take their toll? You sound very deranged.
>>
I live in Florida and am interested in hammocks, what would a good option be for something lightweight and breathable? Also recommendations for a good bug net.
>>
File: hammocks for days.jpg (121KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
hammocks for days.jpg
121KB, 540x720px
>>
Do any of you own a DD hammock?
What is your thoughts?
>>
>>978900
This picture triggers me
>>
>>972777
Srsly lad?
>>
File: hemiplanet-fistral.jpg (104KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
hemiplanet-fistral.jpg
104KB, 960x640px
Anons I am 195cm tall, not too heavy (less than 90kg) is a hammock a good idea? Are there some for tall people? am I going to be slouched like a banana?

Or shoudl I just get a tent? I am planning on upgrading. I have some money to blast on decent gear. Pic related a sexy tent that I want.

Should I get a hammock instead?
>>
File: IMG_20160204_161615-picsay.jpg (646KB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160204_161615-picsay.jpg
646KB, 1564x1564px
>>980872
Any 11 ft hammock will be plenty long enough for you. If you lay in a hammock correctly, then you won't ever be "like a banana".
>>
>>947617

I want a hammock tent but I'm 6'3" and 280lb, so I'm worried that I'll end up with one not long enough or not strong enough. And I can't afford to spend silly money. Would a MilSurp one be best? Advicr pls.
>>
Is there a hammock setup that weighs 15 ounces? Until one matches my tent weight, i'm not switching
>>
File: 20160612_095750-picsay.jpg (1006KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_095750-picsay.jpg
1006KB, 2048x1536px
>>981096
There are definitely ways to get 15 oz for a hammock, tarp, and suspension.

Hummingbird single hammock 5.2oz
Hummingbird suspension 2.3oz
Cuben Fiber Tarp 4.8oz

With that set up your just use your same sleeping pad and bag as you do in your tent.

Remember though, a hammock isn't about saving weight. It's about increasing comfort. If you are only trying to save weight, a tarp as a shelter is what you want. A hammock set up is really a tarp shelter that you have added a bed to.

Not everyone loves hammocks, but some people after using one will never sleep on the ground again.

It's pretty awesome to wake up in the morning in a hammock, and not have to crawl out of a tent on your hands and knees.
>>
>>981096
What tent are you using thats under 1 lbs?
>>
Bought a hennessy scout used for 25 bucks. Comfy as hell. Think I got a good deal /out/?
>>
>>981163
They're really meant as a kids hammock... unless you're really short it's not really meant for adults.
>>
>>981185
I'm 5'11 170lbs. Used it twice so far haven't really run into any problems yet.
>>
>>981193
The height and weight limit is 5'8" and 150lbs according to Hennessey. They used to give them away with the purchase of an adult hammock from Hennessy. Not sure if they still do.

If it works for you then great, but you'll be blown away how much more comfortable an 11ft hammock is.
>>
>>981197
I just bought a nemo. I'll bring both out will most likely just you my hammock to lounge or sleep out if its hot and nice out.
>>
>>963977
What kind of underquilt you using, OP?
>>
>>981089

Brumpfing for replies.
>>
File: 20160713_085234-picsay.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_085234-picsay.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>982223
I use a Jacks R Better Mt Washington 3
>>
>>981162
Zpacks Solplex
>>
>>983293
Technically your zpacks tent would be quite a bit heavier than the UL hammock set up because the hammock set up requires no trekking poles.
>>
File: 20140815_201127.jpg (1MB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
20140815_201127.jpg
1MB, 1500x844px
Hammock masterrace next to tent subhuman
>>
>>976901
I want to know more about this economy line. Like what's the catch? Saw this on their site the other day and they don't do a good job explaining what's "economy" about them.
>>
>>983348
2 things.

1. They use grey duck down instead of goose down. The fill power is still the same though, so insulation is similar. Just may be slightly heavier.

2. Probably most important is that they are using Dutchware's new ion fabric. It's a little heavier than some UL fabrics, but is cheap and supposedly has a nice feel. Dutch developed it with help from hammockgear.

For a pretty big $ saving you get a slightly heavier quilt (5oz heavier) that will pack slightly bigger.

Honestly unless the 2 versions, econ and regular, were side by side, you'd probably not notice much difference.
>>
File: 20170126_155f337-picsay.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_155f337-picsay.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>983331
Samesies.

What's your setup?
>>
>>953400
Not sure where you live but rain covers aren't really needed in winter without rain. Anything that keeps snow from falling right on you is perfect.

If it snows on top of your cover that's perfect. Snow is an amazing insulator, it just unfortunately needs to be kept below freezing temperature to stay snow.
>>
>>983610
A tarp though is essential to blocking wind, which will rob you of a significant amount if heat, even if using good quilts.
>>
File: 0401170725.jpg (334KB, 1127x845px) Image search: [Google]
0401170725.jpg
334KB, 1127x845px
First time out in a hammock.
Holy shit I love it. I'm planning on biking through bumfuck nowhere wyoming later this year for the eclipse and I might carry the hammock in addition to a tent on the off chance I can find two trees.
>>
Snowless season outing in Finland, lots of rain and mosquitos around lakes and swamps, was thinking of:

Blackbird XLC double layer (weight limit and insulation option) + mamajamba tarp. Carabiners, stakes, guyline.

Solid, unnecessary, overkill? Anything missing? Have regular tenting equipment, just looking at building a solid hammock set and new to that
>>
>>984929

Warbonnet stuff, for clarity
>>
File: cranberry_campsite_2.jpg (4MB, 3226x2419px) Image search: [Google]
cranberry_campsite_2.jpg
4MB, 3226x2419px
>>984929
I just ordered my Blackbird Monday. Hopefully it comes in by the weekend so I can take it with me to Mammoth Caves
>>
>>984929
Not overkill. Just make sure you have proper insulation above and below you, and make you know how to hang your hammock and tarp BEFORE you go out. Takes a little practice to be comfortable doing it
>>
>>967637
l really like my Hennessey. The instructions provided for rigging it are shit (at least to me, given this is the first one I ever tried), but after a bit of youtubing I figured it out.

I got the zipperless bottom-entry model and I like the simplicity (no moving parts to break). I use an unfolded crazy creek chair for a pad, seems to work fine.
>>
>>947738
Yes
>>
File: Ash_Metapod.png (1MB, 1174x881px) Image search: [Google]
Ash_Metapod.png
1MB, 1174x881px
>>956706
>>
I am living in Florida but my hiking / bike trips take me all up and down the east coast. I've been in 70F muggy nights, and 20F windy nights.

Do I buy 2 different sets of top / under quilts or just get the 10F versions and regulate by sticking an arm / foot out?

For example, have a 30F top/u quilt set and if going colder, bring a neo air xtherm pad and slide that into an sol escape bivy along with the top quilt?

Why spend the money on the pad instead of putting it into the quilt to make them 10F 950 fill instead?
>>
I recently started using a hammock for my warm weather hikes and camping. I have the Yukon outfitters double nest hammock and their walkabout rainfly. I use my self inflating pad for insulation (one of the more expensive thermotrests) and my usual bag and or liner depending on the weather. No need for a mosquito net since I can just wrap the hammock around me even with the pad in there... Throw my EDC pocket junk in it's pouch and flip it over to hold the hammock closed. Sleep like a dead rock in all weather above 50.
>>
ok so im kinda new to camping, like im not dumb but just inexperienced. so what is a good hammock set up? like what makes a good spot to hang a hammock up? i live in south MS so i NEED a full cover bug net but i dont think i need a underquilt seeing as much anything under 50 degrees is unheard of unless is dead winter.

help please?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GWRU3RO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my current hammock
>>
This is fuckin' dumb
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FCURFT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these hammocks, but haven't even opened or used it. Not a lot of /out/ opportunities right now for me so I am going to save it for future adventures.
>>
>>987032
Definitely get 2 sets of quilts. Have a warm weather set, and a winter set.

Hammock Gear econ line of quilts will save you some money.
>>
>>987088
You shouldn't ever be wrapped up in a hammock. If you are, you're laying in it wrong.

If you sleep fine though, more power to you.
>>
>>981089

Anybody?
>>
>>988270
Nothing milsurp is ever very good.

What's your budget? Most 11ft hammocks would easily support your weight and height. Durchware is my favorite brand, but theres plenty of other options.

I see you used the phrase "hammock tent", which no offense but makes you sound like you're pretty new to hammocks. Remember with a hammock you'll also need a tarp, under and top insulation, and suspension. You should read through the thread, and learn about the basics of hammocking before just buying a hammock.

Even the cheapest complete hammock set up is going to be about $150.

If I had no money and needed a hammock set up, if go to woot.com and pick up a kelty noahs tarp for about $30, and buy some corsage off Amazon to hang it.

Then on Amazon id get a $50 wildhorn outfitters single hammock with suspension. They're an 11ft hammock, and not bad at all.

For insulation I'd get a snugpak hammock underblanket and a snugpak hammock quilt. Total about $80

That would get you started.
>>
File: IMG_2677.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2677.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>986073
I shit you not, I think of Metapod every single time I get in it XD
>>
>>988491

Thanks Anon, I was hoping somebody would give some decent advice. Obliged.
>>
Don't have any photos but I'm working with a
Dream Hammock Freebird in 1.6 HyperD in dark olive, buckle suspension and a HH monsoon rainfly. I'm not a huge fan of the rainfly and should have went with the hex.

I also have multiple DIY hammocks and the wife will be using my Simply light designs Tree Runner SL this year.
>>
>>949019
I have the jungle hammock, shits alright for warm weather, can go down to 2 degrees celcius if you have a mat and a winter sleeping bag. Bug nets good but the stiches are pretty weak so keep an eye for tears if you will be using it alot.
>>
>>947617
only 20 euros. what hammok i can buy?
>>
I'm new to hammocks with a free ENO jungle nest. I understand it's not compatable with a structural ridgeline, but is there any reason I couldn't make my own ridgeline with dropper loops to hook the hammock on to and have it function the same as a normal structural ridgeline.
>>
>>987172
You'll want trees 15feet or so apart. If you have trekking poles, hold them straight out from your sides and you want them to just touch the two trees. Look for dead branches overhead, move if you see them.

Highly suggest treating hammock with permethrin. Mosquitoes can still get you through the hammock fabric. Check out underquilt protectors from 2QZQ, might add a little protection for not a lot of weight and will stop some wind.

Yukon outfitters or twisted root designs make a cheap diamond tarp that works well.

For top insulation, get a cheap, light sleeping bag for now. Outdoor vitals has gear on Amazon, crazy cheap and decent quality. Got their synthetic mummy bag. Haven't had it out in the field yet, but seems legit.
>>
>>987172
If you wanna go really cheap borrow your mom's costco card and order yourself a two-pack of costo's black diamond packable down throws. A two-pack is $40. You can diy a underquilt and topquilt, super easy, no sew alternatives if you're ghetto like that. All you need is a lot of time to seam-rip but it's worth it for the price. You might need an alternative for deep winter but it'll get you through 3-seasons no problem.

Don't go without an underquilt. You will regret it, trust me. I did that in summer with a night time of 65 and I was to chilly to fall asleep. Don't underestimate the convection man.
>>
>>992452
I think an underquilt is unnecessary for him in the summer if he's using a sleeping bag for now. I've hammocked twice in a bag and while it's a bitch to get into, i was toasty af both times even when it rained for 2 days straight. I know thermarest makes these underquilts but they're not underquilts, they're just reflective pads. Probably good to like 13°c. Pretty overpriced though
>>
File: IMG_1072.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1072.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Where are all my beach boys at?
>>
what are the cheapest hammocks which are decent?
i do want an insulation layer and maybe bugnet
>>
>>993991
I've been eyeing this one up myself (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR1ZYJL?gclid=CjwKEAjwrMzHBRDW3saA88aT80MSJACbvo1TnUOLsi183WZpoLMzJRsOcEwYxAiaxGfHMTWUoB-uVBoCZ57w_wcB&th=1) for a friend who wants into hammocking and it looks good from the specs with a good price but not sure about the brand. You'd need to buy a tarp for overtop though.

You could probably go even cheaper but at some point I'd be weary of what the material actually is and whether it will break after a few uses. Other than this the cheapest well-known brand is probably Hennessy which is like $140 for everything including a tarp.
>>
>>993991

Most hammocks are decent regardless of the price so don't worry too much about it. It's the accessories that kill your wallet and those depend on your needs.
>>
>>994101
>>994139
thank you
i think i will just use a canvas tarp
>>
>>992076

pls respond
>>
>>992076
A ridgeline is simple, dont overthink it. Its just a cord, preferably wothblottle stretch, that runs the length of your hammock to keep a consistent sag. Run it from carabiner to carbiner, or from the line gathering the ends. Simple.
>>
Do you guys always put up your rain flys even if the weather is clear? Maybe to keep ticks or something from dropping on you if you don't want to use your bug net.
>>
>>995171
I didn't use to, would just sleep out in the open.

Now I pretty much always put up a tarp, mostly to block any wind, but also keeps some condensation off of me.

It's it's super hot outside, like a low in the 70s, and 0% of rain, then I still go without a tarp.
>>
File: 20160816_072158.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160816_072158.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>993451

I've not hand the chance to get out since late last summer, i'm itching to get out again
>>
>>995220
I never do without rain
>>
File: IMG_2792.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2792.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I don't understand all this hate on the Eno. Yea, it's short, but I'm 6' and I fit well enough in it. Also, it's tiny and only weighs like 12oz.
>>
>>995339
I dunno man that's pretty crazy I'm 5'3 and planning on making an 11' gathered end because my 9' hennessy makes me feel claustrophobic.

I just went out with it but I forgot to take pictures, again.
>>
I'm not sure if it's been asked already, but what is a good hammock to start out with? Preferably something under $100. Deducted that Eno is not a good brand. Not looking for accessories yet, just the hammock right now. I would really appreciate the help
>>
>>995462
Nothing wrong with eno, except that it's the go-to normie hammock and this bothers a certain subset of /out/ists. That said, I'm about to trade mine up for a Dutchware.
>>
>>995462
ENO is fine, but I think pricey. I started with a Hammock Bliss, it was $20. I know people that made one out of a taffeta tablecloth and love it. Some people like to shit on anything, and I'm sure they have their reasons. The important thing is to get your ass in a sling and try. Try new gear, figure out what works for you, what doesn't work for you. Once you do that, you too can shit on others setups.

The back yard is great for testing, but lacking that, try car camping and bring a backup tent if it doesn't work. No weight penalty if you're not backpacking.

My recommendation for newbies:
Normally I'd say keep your eye on woot. Yukon Outfitters and Twisted Root Designs have cheap, decent hammocks on there all the time. Singles, doubles, with or without nets. You pick, top end is $40 or so. Grab their diamond rain fly for $20. Got a sleeping pad? Skip an underquilt for now. Got a sleeping bag? Skip a top quilt for now.

Included suspensions aren't usually great (ropes) get something like a daisy chain and caribiners to start.

This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR1ZYJL
is a surprisingly decent deal for a starter hammock with bug net and a simple suspension. The straps alone usually run $30. You'll still want a rain fly/tarp.

When I started I used a woobie blanket (military poncho liner) and Grabber emergency blanket/tarp as underqulit. Workable just below freezing for me. Eventually I got an underquilt. For top quilt, I used a sleeping bag until recently picking up a top quilt.

If the cheap shit worked, why did I switch?
Well, mainly I wanted something that required less field adjustment.

Tried a torso (3/4) length underquilt and discovered I'd rather have a full length because my feet get cold easily.

Got the synthetic top quilt because my down bag wouldn't be well suited for a particularly wet trip I had planned. I'll probably change again at some point, but for now I've got something that I like.
>>
>>995492
In addition to getting your ass in a sling to learn;
Visit hammockforums and learn.
Watch shugemery, sintax77, hansenoutdoors, and backpackingadventures on youtube and learn.
>>
I have a Grand Turk skeeter beater and it's proven adequate for sleeping in and wasn't all that expensive with just my sleeping bag and a cheapo walmart tarp. In the warmer weather i just have a thin flannel sheet that I sleep with in AZ I rarely need anything more.
>>
>>995501
All pretty good points. Just stopping in to say something about shugemery annoys the shit out of me. That said, he does know what he's doing
>>
>>995529
He takes a lot of getting used to. Couldn't watch him for a long time. Finally learned to tune out the goofy shit and only listen to the info.
>>
>>995492
>>995480
>>995501
>>995503
Thank you all so much! I'm likely going to start with a Grand Trunk ultralight or that Everest one that was linked, but I will get my ass into a sling
>>995529
>>995685
Noted. Thanks
>>
Zip or bottom entrance for a Hennessy Expedition? I've never bought a hammock before so I have no real preference toward one option or the other. Bottom entrance seems okay but I wouldn't want it to rip or anything.
>>
>>996669
Personally I'd do zip, but check our the company 2qzq. You can send them your Hennessey and they do zipper mods to make all kinds of different entry options.
>>
>>996164
The everest hammock is definitely cheap, but there's probably a reason it's so cheap. It's also definitely on the shorter side, and 6ft is a little too wide. It'll also be very heavy and the suspension looks like it sucks.

Again, for the price it's alright, but you'd probably be better off with a more established brand.
>>
>>996669
Do the zip I have the bottom entry and it's annoying and it doesn't always close automatically like they say
>>
File: IMG_2805.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2805.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
This bad boy came in today. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. It's supposed to storm the whole time, too, so it'll be a good test. It's twice as heavy as my Eno though
>>
>>996723
Ridgerunner or blackbird?

The weight is probably including suspension and bug netting, something your eno weight I'm sure didn't include.
>>
>>996753
Blackbird. My Eno had everything but the bug netting, which I never used with it
>>
File: 20170420_001132.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170420_001132.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
I rarely browse out... but I couldn't pass up on a hammock thread.

I slept in this thing during my undergrad. Best decision I made because I moved every year. Now I just read in it or browse 4chan... One of the best purchases I ever made
>>
My entire hammock setup comes in under 5lbs. Thats hammock, net, rainfly, top quilt, under quilt, tree straps, guy outs / lines, stakes. Warbonnet / katabatic mix of gear.
>>
File: 20160207_092405.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160207_092405.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>948654
>those comfy lights
mirin
>>
>>984941
>Mammoth Caves
Where you at anon? 765 here. Love me some caves, prefer primitive over developed though.
>>
>>998994
I'm from Dayton, but I travel every weekend, usually to Kentucky. I was in WV this weekend
>>
>>949165
>>950609
I can see the point, about it being small, but I'm short (5'5") so it works for me.

I got a bad back and a bad knee, so every ounce counts if I want to go far enough out that I can't hear the highway. Bonus to living in floridurr, the heat makes it a bit easier to pack light, most of the year.

I know for at least four months out of the year, I'll need a pad and an underquilt. A few nights in the upper 20's low 30's is the average, with occasional high teens. I wouldn't plan on camping in anything that cold, but would rather be safe than sorry.

Secondary winter load, or augment my summer load with winter gear? Snow isn't an issue, nor high hinds generally.
>>
>tfw can only sleep on my stomach

guess hammocking is out of the question isn't it lads?
>>
>>1000208
depends on how flexible your back is
>>
Low on budget right now. I'm currently lacking an underquilt for my hammock and can't really justify the purchase of a top quality one at the moment. Might go for the snugpack under blanket recommended earlier in the thread if there are no options, but what are some possible alternativesif their are any? Is chucking an insulated pad in my sleeping bag a viable option?
>>
File: Snapchat-1278645112.jpg (145KB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1278645112.jpg
145KB, 406x720px
Got a cozy set up in my backyard
>>
File: Snapchat-381324157.jpg (191KB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-381324157.jpg
191KB, 406x720px
>>1000375
>>
File: Snapchat-1187402575.jpg (160KB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1187402575.jpg
160KB, 406x720px
>>1000378
>>
>>947617
why doesn't anyone mention clark hammocks? too pricey? I did a post but it seems like its deleted. I like the weather shield and stuff bags underneath
>>
>>1000208
Welcome to bridge hammocks my friend.
>>
>>1000271
No problem using an insulated sleeping pad , they aren't ideal, but they work ok.

I have a snugpak underblanket, it's awesome for the price, sometimes as cheap as $28 on Amazon. I have 5 different underquilts, the snugpak isn't bad at all.
>>
>>1000410
Pricey and a little heavy, but in terms of features they're awesome.
>>
My dutchware ripped a while back. Thinking about buying a new one. Anyone use the multicam fabric? Any recommendations for which material to go for?
I have all the suspension/tree huggers still so I just need the hammock.
>>
File: ivanka3.jpg (611KB, 2409x3620px) Image search: [Google]
ivanka3.jpg
611KB, 2409x3620px
>>963023

>bug infested ground

It's like this nigga has never heard of ants.

I used a hammock for one season and it was constantly getting filled with fucking ants. They climb from the tree onto the lines and down into your hammock. I'd sooner have a tent with a fully sealed zip door, at least I won't break my neck trying to crush them when they're nibbling on my dick at 2am.

Hammock camping seems like such a meme. You do it once and realize it's retarded and just go back to using a tent or sleeping in your truck.
>>
File: 1.jpg (146KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
146KB, 640x480px
>>1001113
Please, enlighten me how an ant is going to get inside of this, you sister fucking retard
>>
>>1001056
Might go for the snugpak just because of its size. Okay. I'll have to do some test runs, but I'll figure this out. Thanks
>>
>>1001288
Just walk up there and go in?
>>
>>1001382
Through the bug net?
>ok
>>
>>949019
No knife/10

Would not oper8 with
>>
>>1001418
Is it zippered on or something?
>>
>>1001288

It'll sneak in under your rolls of fat, cuntface.
>>
File: poncho liner.jpg (320KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
poncho liner.jpg
320KB, 880x660px
Ok everyone so I acquired a hammock recently but haven't been /out/ recently and didn't know anything about hammock camping until this thread.
Same with underquilts.
So my question is should I be good with a bivi sac, my winter sleeping bag, and my poncho liner or should I get an underquilt?
I live in Washington btw
>>
>>996677
>>996694
I ordered the zip model. My friend says I should buy adjustable straps to make setup easier. Personally I want to be /out/ and just learn some knots, but idk maybe its hard? What do you think?
>>
File: diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg (101KB, 612x872px) Image search: [Google]
diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg
101KB, 612x872px
>>1001792
Remember, anything you're laying in top of decreases it's insulation value a lot.

If you're using a down sleeping bag, it insulates nothing at all below you, I you're using something synthetic like a poncho liner, it doesn't compress quite as much, but still def loses most it's insulation value.

Basically, if you don't have a pad or underquilt, you'll prob be cold.

But there's hope. You can easily turn a poncho liner into an underquilt, it's called a PLUQ, poncho liner underquilt.
>>
>>1001113
Being uninformed and using the wrong equipment doesn't mean hammock camping isn't viable.

Just because you're unintelligent, doesn't mean everyone else is too.
>>
File: IMG_2914.jpg (5MB, 3520x2640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2914.jpg
5MB, 3520x2640px
>>1001803
> Basically, if you don't have a pad or underquilt, you'll prob be cold.

Can confirm. I'm usually a very warm sleeper and so I thought I could get away with not using an underquilt this past weekend. At 45 degrees, I couldn't sleep for shit even though I had a fleece liner and 30 degree 800 FP down bag. I ended up using my reflectix sitting pad under my back to keep warm
>>
>>1001844
Yeah especially down, it doesn't insulate whatsoever under you. It needs loft to be warm. Same with fleece, but it at least still has a little bit of wind blocking ability when compressed.

People are always amazed at this when they first try a hammock. Its pretty crazy how cold you can get without the right insulation. You need something under you.
>>
File: IMG-20170422-WA0025.jpg (2MB, 2064x1548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170422-WA0025.jpg
2MB, 2064x1548px
last weekend i tried sleeping in one of these without pad and just the underquilt, was warm enough but less stable.

now leaving for 5 days and going to leave pad home again.

its really fun way to camp i have to say
>>
>>947617
never used a hammock.

Are they curved on the bottom? Like does your midsection sink lower than your head and feet? What's it like inside? Can you only lie on your back in that case? I
>>
>>1001976

You lie at an angle to the hammock, so you're basically flat anyway. You can sleep on your side, but it's often nor as comfortable.

I can't sleep on my back for shit, but can do it fine in a hammock.
>>
File: hammock-basics.jpg (119KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
hammock-basics.jpg
119KB, 612x792px
>>1001976
The correct way to lay in a hammock is to lay diagonal. That way you lay across the hammock mostly flat. There is a small amount of curve, more or less depending on the hammock fabric. Some people love it, others have trouble getting comfortable. A lot of it is testing and seeing what works for you, and having the correct gear. It does have a little "fiddle factor", and you do have to spend some time seeing what you do and do not like. That's part of the fun for me.

This infographic may help.
>>
>>1001976
I can't sleep on my side in my hammock unless I have a pillow between my knees. It puts a weird pressure on my hips without the pillow. I find having a knee pillow helps me a lot for my side, and when I'm on my back it helps to put me in this perfect semi reclined position that's so relaxing.
>>
>>1001844
Nice job camping right the fuck next to a river, dickhead. Not to mention the fire pit, probably made with rocks you pulled out of the riverbed.

Your photo's a pretty good example of how not to dispersed camp.
>>
>>1002024
whats wrong with it?
>>
>>1002040
You should always been at least 200 feet from a water source.
>>
>>1002048
yeah but why? seen a lot of bushcraft vids where they also set camp like this
>>
Bushcrafters are the absolute scum of the outdoor community. They destroy huge areas making shelters and other bullshit.

If someone wants to bushcraft on their own land, go nuts, but on public land in sock of seeing some half assed falling down shelter that some wanna be Led Stroud "bushcrafted" together.

Bushcrafting is the exact opposite of leave no trace.
>>
File: home.jpg (278KB, 1920x1357px) Image search: [Google]
home.jpg
278KB, 1920x1357px
>>1002065
i never got that -lets destroy everything mentality, i get it when people show you how its done and when you try it just to learn.

but then i wonder if people actually go into the woods to fell trees and cut down everything every trip just to get the feel.

dunno about you guys but we here look down on people who disturb nature needlessly.
just those things that just feel wrong i guess.

finland here btw
>>
>>1002069
The post you were replying to was deleted by me because after posting I noticed approximately 1/3 of the words were spelled wrong due to me possibly being retarded.

The post was corrected and reposted here >>1002067

I may still be retarded, at least I'm not a bushcrafter.
>>
File: dat tree.jpg (73KB, 420x555px) Image search: [Google]
dat tree.jpg
73KB, 420x555px
>>1002067
>>1002069
I'm totally with you guys there. As long as it's deadfall or dead standing, I really don't give a crap, but the minute I see a bunch of stumps where saplings or trees used to be, I go full TreeBeard. Not that I'm exclusively against logging or using your natural resources, but I am against bushkekkers who have no clue what they're doing making an unsightly mess of nice bits of wilderness.
>>
File: dude.jpg (92KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
dude.jpg
92KB, 800x999px
>>1001792
>Poncho liner
>Not woobie
>Mfw
>>
>>1002040
I'm not sure that camping that close to water violates LNT as long as you are peeing/pooping/washing dishes away from the river. I was told never to camp next to a water source because 1) it could flood in the night 2) animals will come and go to drink from the river at night and you are more likely to draw the attention of a bear or whatever's in your region.

Rock fire ring is terrible because the whole point of dispersed camping is to be in nature. When someone uses that forest after you there's going to be all that shit there instead of complete wilderness like it should be.
>>
>>1001803
Thanks for the info and diagram

>>1001792
>Saying things like the army
>>
>>1002354
>>1002149
Fuck that was directed at you
>>
>>1002360
Woobie is objectively better than poncho liner. Fite me.
>>
>>1002363
Nasty hooah lost his mind
>>
File: implying.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>1002372
>Implying I ever had a mind
>>
>>1001976
I always sleep curled up in a ball on my side in hammocks
>>
File: FullSizeRender 12.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender 12.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>1002024
Hey, fuckwad, I can camp wherever the hell I fucking please. For your information, that firepit was already made before we got there and we didn't see a single other person the entire weekend. Lick my nuts
>>
Big question for me is regarding size and weight of these set ups. I like to go out for days with a 35L (more like 45 desu) pack, and I prefer to keep it light.
How much space / weight does an underquilt take up? If it's a decent amount I'll just go back to tenting, because I really hate big packs.
I've got the hammock and tarp already, I'm just not entirely convinced yet.
>>
>>1004184
Depends on down or synthetic, full length or 3/4, and temperature rating.

A proper underquilt and top quilt combo should weigh about the same and be close in size as a comparable sleeping bag.
>>
File: IMG_20170429_194211.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_194211.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
Finally got myself a GTUL. Do you all have an opinion on suspension systems? Or should I just stick to the straps that Grand Trunk offers separately? If I make Whoopie slings, it's cheaper
>>
>>1004399
Just use basic webing m8
>>
>>1004399
I have the same hammock. Made my own whoopie slings and tree straps. I got the amsteel blue for free and I have about $20 into webbing for the tree straps. Everything fits into the hammock bag and weighs a combined 17.5 oz.
>>
Is a hammock better then a tent? They're small, light, cheap, and comfy.
I have one that I've never used but thinking of keeping it in my pack over a tent.
>>
>>987032
What spots do you go to man? I am also from FL but have no idea where to camp.
>>
>>1005573
Neither is better. It's just preference. For a tent sleeping system, you need a tent, footprint, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rainfly, guylines, optional extra tarp for heavy storm protection. For a hammock sleeping system, you need a hammock, webbing or some good rope, topquilt, underquilt or other butt warming system, bugnet, tarp. Comfort is different for everyone.

Pros of hammock:
>lighter weight system
>smaller
>you don't have to worry about ground conditions
>less condensation

Pros of tent:
>more space for gear
>privacy for group trips
>don't need trees
>simple setup especially for noobs
>>
Can someone please help me get started with hammocks. Reading through this thread helped a little but I still feel lost. Any help is appreciated
>>
>>1006886
Go to HammockForums and lurk around a little
Also for beginners I recommend Grand Trunk over ENO just because of price.
Other than those things just go through the thread again to see what beginners asked for
>>
>>1006886
Ditto to Hammockforums

Assuming you're in US.

Start cheap. You're probably not going to get it right for you the first time. You'll find things you like about your first setup and things you hate. After a few nights of testing you'll find out if you sleep warm or cold

Recommendation:
Suspension - Daisy chain and caribiner for beginners
Hammock - 10ft minimum length, 11ft may be better for you
Insulation - If you ground camp already, use your sleeping bag plus sleep pad. If you're starting fresh, PLUQ or Snugpak underblanket and a cheap light sleeping bag as a topquilt
Tarp - Outdoor vitals has a preorder on what looks to be a decent hex tarp for less than $60 now.

Get your S.H.I.T. together and start figuring out what you like.

If money isn't a huge concern, you want something solid out of the gate, but just aren't sure sure where to start? Arrowhead Equipment has kits to get you going from $200 up.
>>
>>947617
>This isnt the place to say you think tents are better than hammocks.

Tents are better than hammocks.
>>
>>947617

Hammocking in the wind. Dos, don'ts, and tips in general- what's the biggest wind you've been out in, and how did it turn out?
>>
My sister bought me a Hennessy expedition for Christmas this year and I'm finally going to get to try it out soon.

I'm planning on going backpacking in Colorado early June and want to use the Hennesy. Looks like most nights it will get down to 30 degrees.

I was thinking of buying the Hennessy insulation system, which is advertised to be a 4 season solution. Does anyone have any experience with this system, and would it work down to 30 degrees?
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.