[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any fisherman? I plan on going to Alaska next year to work on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 7571.jpg (23KB, 450x298px) Image search: [Google]
7571.jpg
23KB, 450x298px
Any fisherman?
I plan on going to Alaska next year to work on a commercial fishing boat. I have no experience and no connections. How did you land your spots on the crew?
Also what sweet clothes do I need?
>>
File: 429863978_c729c9bd83_b.jpg (152KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
429863978_c729c9bd83_b.jpg
152KB, 1024x683px
Id start with a life jacket
>>
>>947451
You arent going to get on a crew, I guarantee it. No matter what fishing town, there will always be locals who need a fishing job, and any captain would rather have a local alaskan as a greenhorn than some kid looking for a thrilling job. I know this for favt because Im from Valdez and I grew up stacking net and taking jellyfish to the face
>>
>>947512
But if youre really set on it this guy explains the job very well

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/17/so-you-want-my-job-commercial-fisherman/
>>
>>947512
I am not a fisherman, but i can garunte this guy is right. I deckhanded up and down the intercoastal, i have a 200ton liscense. No one thinks roping barges is sexy, but there is no way my fat ass is going to get rehired. And there arent 4 tv showz about it.
>>
>>947451
>I plan on going to Alaska next year to work on a commercial fishing boat.
Bad idea. Try to get a job on a salmon boat out of WA. Most captains also fish the spring season in April and May so I'd get there early. If you get a job, take it. Don't fuck around looking for something better because you're sure as shit not the only person the captain called and if you don't respond quickly someone else will get the job.

>I have no experience and no connections. How did you land your spots on the crew?
Go to the waterfront and start looking for want ads. Also talk to barmen, marine supply stores, tackle shops, etc.

>Also what sweet clothes do I need?
Besides some basic cool-weather gear (long underwear, hoodie, thick pants, boots, etc) that you should already own, all you need to buy is grundens (top and bottom and some Xtra-Tuff boots.
>>
File: drift net.jpg (55KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
drift net.jpg
55KB, 600x338px
>>947451
Dress clean and presentable, wear a pair of Xtratufs. Fly or drive to Alaska and drive to somewhere like Kenai or Homer and walk to the harbor and find a drift net boat (pic related) and ask if they are willing to hire a greenhorn deckhand. If they say no ask them if they know anyone else that has work, thank them for their time and carry on. Look at flier boards and Craigslist for help wanted ads.
Get up there in April, or even better yet, now. Any boat worth its salt will have all its hands hired months before season.
>clothes
Grundens, rubber gloves (like these, most people I knew used the orange ones which were a lighter pair because it allowed them to feel the net better https://www.palmflex.com/Showa-Atlas-660-Vinylove-Gloves.html) and boots, most people wear Xtratufs it seems. Sadly xtratuf's quality is kind of shit. I forgot the company that still makes quality ones.
>>947512
I flew to Alaska last summer, hitchhiked to Homer and had a job on a boat within 24 hours of being in the state having never seen the ocean before in my life. Tell me again about how it can't be done. I worked with someone that flew up there and drove to Homer and posted fliers that they were looking for a job on a boat, and what do you know, they got a job on a boat. Another dude I cleaned fish with somehow got up there from Arkansas and he got a job on a boat because he threatened to punch a guy in the face.
Will OP find a job on a boat like the pic he posted or on a seiner in a good fishery? Fuck no. Will he find a boat on a drift net boat or a set net crew in a meh fishery? If he tries he will.
>>
I personally know Sig and his crew, they come to the Maryland shore every year for a waterman appreciation festival. They know my dad and that's how I met them, now we hangout everytime they come to town. I could probably get hooked up with a crew, but I wouldn't want to ask
>>
>>947810
Who?
>>
>>947820
>>
>>947810
>>947846
Haha thats funny, Ive met them too. In the summer the crab boats are used as tenders to the salmon boats and one day the northwestern came to the boat i was on, pretty cool. Those boats get rigged with massive vacuums to suck the fish out of nets
>>
>>948240
You mean out of the hold right?
>>
>>948298
No, the hold on the boat I worked on could fit about 45k lbs in the hold, but good sets could land you 80k. There was no room on our boat for all the fish, thats what the tenders were for
>>
>>947804
>i-i did it so anyone can !!! (im gonna casually leave out all my connections that got me there tho)
>>
>>948357
I was talking sucking fish out of the hold rather than out of the net but now I get what you're saying. Didn't register that you were talking about a seiner.
>>948373
What connections are you talking about? I had zero before I went. People I know around home told me to go up there and walk the dock and ask for work. I wanted to do it as well so I got off my ass, flew to Anchorage, hitchhiked to Homer and started asking around for work. If you want a slower route, you can work at a processor for a year and at the end of the year ask the employer if he knows of any skippers looking for a hand in the next season. Working at the processor just shows that you are willing to put in hours.
>>
>>948376
>What connections are you talking about? I had zero before I went.
I can't help but think you're lying. no one just picks up and leaves for a new state, let alone alaska, and has success with ZERO connections or experience

people have a hard enough time getting a job in big cities where they grow up, and you're gonna tell me you shipped yourself off to some native reserve and got a job instantly? fuck outta here, your writing needs work
>>
>>948380
Illegal immigrants do it in the millions. Why is something like getting a job as a fisherman in a big fishing port such a crazy idea? I know of someone else who did the same thing but in Washington.
>>
File: resized fishing.jpg (368KB, 1128x750px) Image search: [Google]
resized fishing.jpg
368KB, 1128x750px
>>948380
Native reserve? Are you fucking retarded?
Guess what buddy, I did it. The world is yours for the taking, you just have to put forth the effort.
If you were messing around on your boat in the harbor and someone comes up to you and asks for a job and says they just flew up the day before and hitchhiked there and started asking for work. You would hire him. Want to know why? It takes fucking balls to do it. It shows they WANT to do it. They didn't sit around on their ass emailing people off of Craigslist. They picked up, flew 3000 miles, hitched 240 and started asking for a job.
>Pic related, driving the boat back after a day of fishing.
Best thing about having done it is I can come on this Nunavut whale hunting board and tell stupid niggers like you that you are retarded and don't have the balls to do anything worth while in their life.
>>
File: 948380 is a retarded nigger.jpg (449KB, 1504x1000px) Image search: [Google]
948380 is a retarded nigger.jpg
449KB, 1504x1000px
>>948380
Other drift net boats. I forget what volcano that is in the distance. Any anon know? I think it's Chinitna if memory serves.
>>
File: trappers creek.jpg (594KB, 1504x1000px) Image search: [Google]
trappers creek.jpg
594KB, 1504x1000px
>>948380
Was dropped off here when I was hitchhiking. Picture is around 10 or 11 at night. Waiting for my next ride. I was finally dropped off in Homer at 3 am. By the afternoon I had a job at a fish processor and on a drift net boat. All I did was walk and ask around for work. Got the job on the boat by hitchhiking around town.
>>
Yo son, when you never make it up, come and find somebody in Ballard. I'll be drinking in Hattie's Hat or the Sloop. I'll hook you up.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.