[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: 1483496875348.png (349KB, 480x625px) Image search: [Google]
1483496875348.png
349KB, 480x625px
It's your /k/ussin from /k/

Can any of you guys enlighten me on a good sleeping bag? I have most of everything else figured out for camping. But when it comes to sleeping gear I'm at a loss.

Like if it's -5 sleeping bag and 60 degrees will it be suffering warm. Or if it's a 50 degree bag and 20 will I hypothermia? Is there a good one do it all bag.

Also bivvy advice? Thanks in advance gentlemen.
>>
File: 20161203_131715.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_131715.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>946038
Enlightened Equipment Revelation, 850 DT, long, wide.

Bivy unknown, but S.O.L. could work.

/kuz/.
>>
File: churning.jpg (32KB, 210x399px) Image search: [Google]
churning.jpg
32KB, 210x399px
>>946038
Get a 40-30 degree bag and purchase a liner with it. Sea-to-Summit makes a good set up liners that will expand your bag up to 25 degrees if you need it to be a truer to 0 degree bag.

If the weather is above 50 degrees you can then use the lightweight liner as a summer bag.
>>
I have a boulder creek 0 degree bag and I love it. I do not backpack though, I car camp. Its heavy as fuck, but it's warm enough for me. I sleep very cold and it keeps me warm for winter camping in northern az.
>>
>>946038
>Like if it's -5 sleeping bag and 60 degrees will it be suffering warm.
yes
>Or if it's a 50 degree bag and 20 will I hypothermia?
yes
>Is there a good one do it all bag.
no

also, lrn2catalog >>935936
>>
>>946054
OP here. Sorry I newfagged. Should of known better. But thanks for advice still.
>>
>>946038
/out/ is the wolf-girl daughter of /k/ and /an/ so if anything you would be our un/k/le.
>>
>>946043
This desu. Got my Revelation in the mail last week and it's fucking sweet. It's only 1.3lb so I can carry like 2-3 extra dragon dildos with the weight saving.
>>
>>946038
Warm is not an issue since you can open it and use it as a blanket.

Biwy advice: dont. It's shit. A tarp offer a better protection and don't have the condensation problem. The only way to keep the insects out is a tent.
>>
>>Like if it's -5 sleeping bag and 60 degrees will it be suffering warm. Or if it's a 50 degree bag and 20 will I hypothermia?

The short answer is yes. Sleeping bags (good ones), will have a comfort rating, and lower limit rating. You'll want a bag comfort rated for the temps you'll expect.

Example if you have a 20 degree bag, it'll be fine for 20-40ish. At 15 you'll be cool, at 10 you'll be cold.

There are countless bags out there, as long as they're a well respected brand, and meet your size, weight, and temp requirements, then you'll be happy.

You'll first need to decide if you're backpacking or carrying the bag any distance. That will help you decide how light you need it to be.

If you need very light, down insulation is unrivaled. It will pack smaller and be lighter than any other insulation. Even the best synthetics can't match it. It's why the highest end bags usually are down. Down bags are more expensive usually. The downsides are that you need to care for the bag better, if down getso wet it takes a long time to dry, and wet down provides 0 insulation.

Synthetic insulation can be just as warm as down, but heavier and pack larger. They often do have the advantage that if they are wet, they keep some insulation properties. They are also cheaper.

I have friends that use a military sleep systems (MSS). Its basically 3 sleeping bags together. The outer layer is waterproof. All 3 together is supposed to be good to below 0, the inner 2 together like 20 degrees, and the lighter layer alone like 40 degrees. People seem to like them, but they are very large and very heavy if you're backpacking. They're really for car camping only.

Remember you'll also need insulation from the ground. A sleeping pad, either foam or an inflatable is essential or you'll be cold regardless of your bag in the winter.

I'm a hammock user so I use a top quilt. If you use a good insulated pad, a top quilt can be nice. They're lighter and easier to get into
>>
>>946106
Well that's kinda wierd too me. But OK I'll be un/k/le

OP

>>946149

As I said I'm from /k/, I was an infantryman in the USMC. I was hoping there was a civilian version I could buy to keep me warm that was lighter and better than I used to carry.

Money isn't a problem I do fine. I was thinking $200 budget.
>>
>>946194
>op once again fails to include enough information
you fucking faggot. what are you using it for? how far will you be carrying it? what weather do you camp in? how good's your pad? tent, tarp, or hammock. seriously, how do you feel when retards who don't even do enough research to ask goid questions come to /k/ to ask
> hurr durr what gun do i buy?

>I was thinking $200 budget.
kek. babbies first bag.
>>
>>946222
Thanks for being non-helpful.

This is my first time on your board. I want to go camping with my 4 yo daughter this summer or early spring, looking for tips.
>>
>>946222
OP also Wisconsin.
>>
>>946230
is it your first time on 4chan? you want us to spoonfeed you answers that you could find with 15 minutes of googling? seriously, i'm tempted to go to /k/ and say "i need bullets" and just copy and paste all the responses here.

>>946231
fortunately wisconsin doesn't have seasons, so now we know EXACTLY what you need.
>>
>>946241
>fortunately wisconsin doesn't have seasons

he said summer/early spring, and indicated he was going with his 4 year old daughter, suggesting car camping and light use

If you're car camping it doesn't fucking matter what you have. At all. Bring a damn comforter from your house if you want. Just bring something that's warm enough.

Sleeping bag ratings are assuming you're using an insulating pad. Without a pad, you lose your heat to the ground. With a pad, they're relatively accurate. In a 20 degree bag (with pad..) you'll be comfortable down to about 35, and be okay in the 20s, and cold at 20 but you won't be hypothermic. If it's in the 60s, you'll be sweating, and using it like a blanket. If it's 0, you'll be hating life.

Expensive sleeping bags are all about less weight, more breathability, higher quality zippers, greater resistance to damp/wet conditions, etc.
All of these matter very much if you are, say, backpacking. All of these things matter very little if you're car camping.
You can buy a $750 sleeping bag, which, except for a zipper which will last more seasons, will have the same exact functionality as an equally rated $40 sleeping bag -- if you're car camping. In fact, it will be equally as functional as a bunch of blankets from your house.
>>
>>946256

oh yeah, and any gearfag who refutes this is an idiot trying to justify their wasteful purchases and elitism.
>>
File: 1424020206744.gif (496KB, 500x249px) Image search: [Google]
1424020206744.gif
496KB, 500x249px
>>946241
What are you fucking retarded?

>Gif related

>>946256
This guy gets it. Want to camp with daughter, but work my way up to Bushcraft.
>>
>>946265
Hey, OP.

I'd say a bivvy is only useful if you foresee a need to pack up and leave quickly - so I would not use one for civilian purposes. It gets cramped and condensation and ventilation is a huge issue.

I use one on duty, but I see no point if there is no possibility of a wild platoon sergeant appearing, screaming "artillery".

As for sleeping bags - I'd say a summer, spring/fall and winter one is required for a year-round setup.

I've got a cheapo kilo bag for summer, a Mamut spring/autumn bag with a comfort rating of 20F (which has lost some of its warmth over time), and a Snugpak Antarctica Re bag for winter.

I've slept in the Snugpak bag in -10F on a summer mat and it was generally a-ok. I used a bivvy which I think was a mistake.

As for car camping - bring an actual blanket and pillow, dog. Sleeping in a car is terrible as is.
>>
File: cl.png (108KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108KB, 228x221px
>>946256
>>946265
oh, sorry. i forgot that wisconsin is a temperate paradise where early spring and summer have no difference. and 4 year old means nothing. i've seen kids that age 3-4 miles deep before, deep before, and if you're carrying 2 bags you'll have a hell of a lot different requirements than if you're popping out of a car and laying them down.
>i'm the stupid one
>>
>>946038

Goto Walmart

Buy cheap 30-50F degree sleeping bag, used to be 15 bucks maybe its 20 now.
Buy Two.

If you're confronting 0F weather, Buy Three.

How does this work you ask?
> you roll up like human burrito in one of them
> you open the other two out fully and use them like blanket, rotate them 45 degrees and it covers more of you more easily

Its not really going to be all that bulky if you pack it right. The difference in weight/size with the colder rated ones would be the same in insulation anyways.

T. homeless dude who has survived the 3 worst winters this area has seen in the last 30 years (-5F with 30mph winds).

If you get cold anyway, wear your coat to sleep.
>>
>>946343
Youre not stupid, just cripplingly autistic
>>
>>946444
OP. Thanks for real advice. Just trying to plan in advance. Last thing I want is too have a 4 year old and be unprepared.

Also, homeless or not, you can still land trips, checked.
>>
File: 1426954731084.jpg (22KB, 470x352px) Image search: [Google]
1426954731084.jpg
22KB, 470x352px
>>946051
>>946052
>>946140

OP once more. Not trying too flood your board, it's slow here huh?

Anyway you guys have good advice I'll take into consideration also, didn't wanna leave you boys /out/.
>>
File: 2017-02-07 09.03.16.jpg (466KB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-07 09.03.16.jpg
466KB, 1885x1060px
>>946486

I honestly sleep extremely cold and in 30 degree snowy weather i was able to be k/omfy in just thermals, socks, and a heavy hat. Didnt need that drug rug to sleep in that bag like I did in my old bag.
>>
>>946444
>3 sleeping bags
>not that small if packed right

You're an idiot. There's a reason why this guy ended up homeless, don't listen to his advice.

One good bag is always better than 3 terrible bags.
>>
>>946043
>>946126
Notice how we can lead them to the water, but can't make them drink?

>sigh
>>
>>947095
cause spending 300 euro on a down quilt for car camping sounds like a great idea, faggot.

What i would do is buy a used military sleep system. It suits many environments and since you're new you can play around and see what you like. It has decent materials which have way better durability, water resistance and feel than the cheap walmart stuff. If you later buy a better sleeping bag for your allround use you may still use it for more specific situations or lend to a friend who comes along. Because it's durable, cheap and has good water resistency it makes a perfect bag for being drunk next to the campfire. It's used so it doesn't add up much to the capitalstic bullshit that destroys our little nature left when you end up not liking camping that much and let it just sit in the attic.

A little bit heavier and in good condition a bit more expensive than the cheapest stuff but so much more versatile.
>>
>>947218
>buying the best UL gear to carcamp
Why would I do that?

Why?
>>
>>947238
Why wouldn't you buy the best gear? Are you poor and stupid? What is the argument for buying inferior?
>>
>>947238
> "sounds like a great idea,faggot"
> 90% of the post is about not doing this
> still not picking up sarcasm

You're a whole different kind of retarded, aren't you?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.