[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monthly /out/ Challenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: challenge.jpg (3MB, 4104x3024px) Image search: [Google]
challenge.jpg
3MB, 4104x3024px
Unbelievable as it may be, I have just had a thought. As is proper I have immediately come to this humble place to propose an activity based on the aforementioned thought. A Monthly /out/ Challenge.

There could actually be two challenges a month. One casual tier and one high tier so as to allow for participation at all levels.

Some challenge category ideas had so far are;

Primitive Crafts
Minimalist Challenges
Woodcarving
Firemaking
Foraging
More stuff?

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?
>>
>>945777
Well, this is a fucking Honduran guacamole img board, so there should be imgs involved.

>talk is cheap
>pics or it dind happd
>>
>>945791
Definitely images involved. As should be presumed on any guacamole boards.
>>
>>945798
>/out/scat thread

>beaver, rabbit, buffalo, owl, snek, 'yote scat.

I'm in.
>>
>>945777
>monthly /out/ challenge

I'm seeing something involving blood cups getting sterilized in Ti kettles, w/pics def related.
>>
>>945822
>blood cups
Fucking what?
>>
>>945827
>so nu
>no googlefu
>never earned red wings

How old are yoo?
>>
>>945832
24, googling gave me a bunch of results about menstrual stuff which I assume (hope) is not related to what you mean.
>>
>>945833
>hope
>so young

How quaint.
>>
Well...thread took a bit of a sharp turn there. Heading into work and will check back later to see if there is any legitimate interest. Stay classy /out/.
>>
I'm a meet hoping to land a job soon but why not, throw it. I'm in but I live by the sea and not by the mountains so I would like something more water related.
>>
>>945998
>tell me what do

Go find a fucking seashell and post pic, you fucking meet!

Protip, some are more special than others, just like you.
>>
>>946006
>This one pretentious retard shitting up the thread because his personality is so shit that he's insufferable even online.

>>945777
OP post your idea to the discord I for one am very excited to do it when we don't have cunts shitting on everyone.
>>
>>945777
You could rip off /k/'s STALKER threads, and remove the LARPing and autism. Detail a document.

Have anons post pics of their camping or adventures. Bonus points for extra stuff, like toasting marshmellows or whatever the fuck the cool kids do, or camping away from a campzone. Have "scenarios", like "Ultralight" where you only take a pack that weighs under x lbs, or "firestarter" where you have to make a firepit and have a campfire but can't take anything to light one with you. Make a google doc with the rules and slowly work on it depending on how the first half dozen threads go. At the end of the shenanigans, you sum up your points and get a ranking, so you can strive to do better next time. Could even tie in urbex or something; exploring buildings or the surrounding countryside and documenting it for extra points.

Thoughts brehs?
>>
File: 20161018_082831.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_082831.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
In the time since my last post I have been doing more thinking in regards to challenges and am going to try and lay out some different challenges for both high and low tier. Interested parties can help critique, refine, and add to them with me here in this thread.

High Tier - Find a specific animal in the wild, hike/climb to a minimum elevation, make a friction fire, prepare a fully foraged meal, make a primitive water container, carve a useful item with one knife only, do a dollar store overnight, make a reusable primitive cutting tool, more ideas needed.

Low Tier - Build fire from modern materials but no flame allowed, make 10" of cordage, hike for a minimum distance, forage one edible plant, more ideas needed.

>>946448
Not sure what is meant when you say to post my idea to the discord. The random and off topic posts don't bother me though. Just gives free bumps and anyone worth their salt knows how to take that shit in stride these days.
>>
>>946565
This is definitely the general idea. But if I'm gonna do all the work of fleshing out ideas and building a document etc by myself then I'll just go keep doing all this shit by myself like I already do. I want to get the community involved and make it an interactive dealio from the get go.

The ranking is an interesting idea. Wasn't going to go that direction but it adds incentive to go above and beyond. Perhaps even could establish a prize system or whatnot. Could use the amazon wishlist system to get it done.
>>
>>946571
Wouldn't need to be too well fleshed out. Have you seen /k/'s stalker doc? I know I keep whining on about it but I think it's a good plan. The reason I like it is that it's so short. I'd be willing to help you bang it out if necessary. Especially since you could more or less just delete swathes of /k/'s one and use that. They're always whining about campers shitting up their threads anyway.

The ranking is kinda what I think adds the "challenge" part to all of this. Gimmie 5 and I'll have a short but shitty draft for you
>>
How about this for a high tier challenge:
Track and catch an animal. Take a photo of urself with it and a time stamp. Release it back in the wild. Post it on /out/ but there are two conditions u have to meet:
>u have to also post a webm/gif of the animal being actually released unharmed
>dont hurt that poor thing
If u kill it (intentionally or not) you lose the challenge and u failed in life and should kill urself too.

Different bonus points for different animals. Catching a mountain lion us more badass than catching a squirell etc..
>>
>>945777
>>946571
>>946572
Ok, me again. Almost done with the rough draft. Also, I'm adding a trip for the duration of this thread because there are some truly bad ideas, and I've got a word doc goin' here.
>>
>>945777
How does this look so far guys:
The /out/ Challenge
Created by a newfag

Rules
You are now an intrepid adventurer, and must explore the wide world! Find an adventure of some sort. Camping is the usual route, but urbex is acceptable. Anything that involves you leaving your crusty ass couch really. Pictures must be taken to show anons, and prove you did it.

Choose a difficulty level and, if you want, a faction, or a scenario (scenarios are exempt from difficulty level). Faction-specific and scenario-specific rules override default rules. Maximum pack weight (including, food, tools and other supplies) is unspecified for now.

IMPORTANT:
Stay safe anons. Don’t do shit you’ve never done before. The idea is to gradually work up to new challenges and share the experiences with anons. Don’t just jump right in if you’ve never been camping. Don’t start fires if you’re in a fire risk area and especially if you’ve never done it before. Don’t go innawoods by yourself if you haven’t been camping for a while. Don’t try to drink rancid water…just apply logic checks.

Locations:
The idea of going out camping is to find new stuff, right? Locations are interesting places. New areas, so to speak. A small babbling brook, a pair of trees that have grown together, a skull of a long dead animal, a small clearing in the scrub, a naturally fallen tree. Basically small landmarks that you think other people might not have seen before. Off the beaten path is the general idea here. A popular lake where people swim all the time doesn’t count. A small stream that leads into a gentle grotto that’s a trek from civilisation does. Pictures must be taken and posted as proof for your anonbros.

I am not liable for anything that happens to you. Nobody on 4chan, /out/, or that is connected to this document or these threads is in any way responsible for your actions bar you.
cont
>>
>>946591
Score is added up at the end of the challenge. It depends on your faction and the various things that you did or that happened during the challenge.

Scenarios are not necessary, but might be fun.

Scenarios:

Tourist (+5):
• Must go out somewhere
• Don’t have to stay, but an extra 5pts if you do camp out
• Can’t stay in a cabin; must be in a tent or some sort of temporary shelter
• Must be camping or exploring the wilderness for at least 5 hours
• Must not die
• No restrictions on gear or team; anyone, anything
• Basically just go out camping or something, it isn’t too hard

Cook (+5):
• Must cook something edible; doesn’t have to be gathered from the wilderness, but must be cooked there
• Must cook enough for every member of your group to be well fed
• Must take pics of your tasty banquet
• Must be responsible; if you let your fire or stove get out of control or burn down a forest, you deserve the fire-ey death you are about to get
Teamwork (+5):
• Go out with a team of 2 or more people including you
• Play some sort of music; guitar, harmonica or group singalong are all good examples
• Everybody must contribute in some way; helping set up tents, cooking food, entertaining each other, whatever
• Each person gains the 5 pts, and everybody who earns points adds it to a group “pool”, but you must average your scores
• Leave a “monument” (+5 pts for every person who participates). Monuments must be something that won’t damage the environment, is easily removable but makes it clear somebody has been there. Like a little stick shoved into the ground, or a small circle of rocks a person could sit in. If it can’t be cleared away in 30 seconds, or it requires you to damage or destroy something, it can’t count and you’re an ass. Post pics of your monument

cont
>>
>>946592
Lone Wolf (+10):
• Go camping and don’t die
• Set up all your shit like tents or whatever alone
• Post pics of your setup and what you did
• Build a “monument” (+5 pts); same deal as in the Teamwork scenario; must be able to be cleared away in 30 seconds, must not damage the environment. Basically don’t be a dick. A circle of stones, or a square made of sticks lying on the ground is fine.
• +5 pts if you camp out for 24+ hours (don’t attempt if inexperienced)
Scout (+10):
• Must camp out somewhere
• Must not leave a massive imprint on the environment; no use of shelters, no ripping branches off trees, basically camping as if you’re trying not to disturb things too much
• Must scout the area; you need to move around and take pictures. Must discover at least 5 “locations”
• Every additional location past that is an extra point
• Every additional location past 20 is worth 2pts
• Anons may call you out on your shit if your location is terrible

Scoring
Bonuses
+5 points for each 24 hours spent during the challenge
+10 points for lighting a campfire in an old container and squatting around it
+5 points if it rains, or +10 points if it rains the entire time
+5 points for bringing and playing an instrument (still included even if it’s part of a scenario)
+5 points for every friend you bring, but you also average your scores (instantly fails lone wolf)
+1 point for finding a piece of gear and using it in the field
+ 1 point for every location found
+10 points for spending each night in a different campsite
+5 points if you pull the SIM card from your phone before you start, cutting all outside contact except for calling 911 if you get fucked (GPS is allowed)

Ranking
0-15 points Rookie
16-30 points Experienced
31-45 points Veteran
45-60 points Expert
61+ points Master

Version: 8/2/17
Original copy made by bushwalker !!hflOEVSN0z1.
>Fin

Thoughts? Feedback?
>>
>>946572
Have not seem the stalker doc.

>>946573
Interesting idea but perhaps too much. First off tap then release can be difficult and I would not recommend. If you are going to set a trap it should be with full intent. Also becomes very subjective to location in regards to regulations etc.

>>946591
So far so good I'm liking the tone this is taking. Better then I had in my own mind for sure.

>>946592
In liking how this system is set up but definitely needs a little refinement and expansion. One question is how do these factions work? Also we should allow for multiple ventures and a culminated score within a month. Will post an edit in a bit with what I am thinking.
>>
>>945777
This is the gayest thread i have seen on /out/ in a long time. Heres a challenge, though. We go to parks and find geocaches, then we shit in them. Awards will go to most shits overall, biggest one time shit, and nastiest shit.
>>
Great initiative, OP!
Some ideas for challenges or parametres could be:

* Cold (camping, hiking/skiing/snow-shoeing, building iglos/snow caves
* Hot (desert hiking and camping, more...)
* Shelter building (a variety ranging from a simple lean-to to more advanced structures
* Other challenges like walking certain distances, stealth camping, svimming in cold water and drying by a fire afterwards, building a home made raft and sail it and more.
>>
>>946774
Yes. Swimming in cold water.

Please, all you faggots that want some kind of participation medal for being on /out/, go swim a long distance in cold water.
>>
>>946591
>>946592
>>946593
I've revised a new version with some serious changes that I think makes the whole thing a bit more fluid. Still needs work though. Will respond to this post with it.

>>946774
The system I have revised from what the other anon posted tries to leave room for challenging yourself and allows anons to vote on a point range.

>>946780
It's not about a participation medal...it's about community and fun. Also I see what you are saying there and it's not nice. Go be mad at someone else because you weren't loved.
>>
>>946788
>>946591
>>946592
>>946593

- Monthly /out/ Challenge -

Welcome! You are now an intrepid adventurer and must explore the wild world! Camping/hiking in nature is the usual route, but urbex is acceptable. Anything that involves you leaving your crusty ass couch really. Pictures must be taken to show anons, and prove you did it. Participate for fun or glory. Points are accumulated by completing Adventures. Anons vote on your results and the average is taken.

- Adventures -

Hike
• Pedometer required
• 1 point per 100 steps.

Climb
• Go up!
• 2-5 points for trees.
• 6-12 points for cliffs.

Camp
• Sleep outside.
• 10-20 points.

Cook
• Prepare a meal.
• Eat it.
• 3-6 points.

Build
• Leave your mark.
• Be environmental.
• 30 seconds removable.
• 1-2 points.

Discover
• Find cool stuff.
• 0-3 point per pic.

Craft
• Make something useful.
• 5-50 points.

IMPORTANT:
Stay safe anons. The idea is to gradually work up to new challenges. Don’t start fires if you’re in a fire risk area. Don’t try to drink rancid water…just apply logic checks.

I am not liable for anything that happens to you. No other individual on 4chan, /out/, or that is connected to this document or these threads is in any way responsible for your actions.

>>
>>946790
Already realizing I missed Fire.

Fire
• Make one.
• 3-30 points
>>
>>946788
Oh so you watch the news. And arent fucking retatded. You realize that swimming in cold water is dangerous?

Well apparently the idiots this type of thread attracts don't. I didn't sugest it.

The one guy, presumably you, thinks camping overnight is an acheivment. Nigga i have fallen asleep on nyc, houston, and la sidewalks. And the north american pavement ape is far more ferocious than anything in the woods.

Your a pansy and an idot. And yes, it is a participation trophy. Dunno if u noticed, but only the faggiest fishing fags trip here.
>>
>>946813
The anon clearly meant the swimming deal to be a challenge. Hopefully one taken seriously should it be attempted.

I have also slept in the land of the North American Pavement Ape and can agree to a certain extent about ferocity but what's your point?

I mean should I stop liking what you don't like? Is that basically what you are saying?
>>
>>946780
>>946813
Why are you in this thread? You hate the priciple idea, fine, leave it be and let the rest of us continue the thread without every third post being non-contributing attention wanting anger
>>
>>945777
Holy fuck why do you need to make everything into a videogame. Just go /out/ and do whatever you want, don't add some retarded scoring system to railroad your experience. Just fucking go /out/.
>>
>>946823
It is an obviously deadly challenge to thiseof us who know. Put in with slleep outside a whole night.

Do you not see?

Im glad to be the asshole. Dont swim across lake michigan, idiots.
>>
>>946898
>implying I don't already
You may now know this...but people can engage in an activity in many ways and sometimes even get extra enjoyment out of it by communicating with others and sharing experiences. Also, people new to a hobby often benefit by having an enouraging community and "incentivised" activities. I will not stop liking what you don't like.

>>946909
Yeah and I have done it and other emergency situation scenario reenactments with groups for training purposes before. Doing something normally stupid in a controlled environment to prepare yourself isn't a bad idea. Doesn't quite fit with the scenario being created with the monthly challenges but that's clearly aside from the point now as we are just going to full shit post mode.
>>
>>946978
Ok moron. Swiming a mile in cold water is the same as sleeping outside 1 night. That makes sense. Keep going with your ppoinys system. I like how "making a meal", something most adults do twice a day even in civilization, is worth points.
>>
>>946999
No one is drawing that equality but you.

Nevertheless if you have some ideas for amending the point system I am all ears. I have serious doubt that anything actually constructive will come from further communication but at the very least I am being entertained.
>>
>>947003
Swimming in cold water over 200 meters is strongly discouraged, but ×orth 30 points

Making a fire, cooking food, sleeping outside, or walking less than 4 miles ia worth nothing. Because that is pretty fucking basic camping.

Real cool incentive shit should be:
Going on a night hike
Seeing an endangered bird +5 if whooping crane
Using a trap effectively
Shooting a squirel (1 per person)
Carxhing a fish ( 1 per species per person)
Not making retarded threads on 4xhen
>>
>>947018
I have already decided not to include cold water swimming as a specific challenge but that you for the suggestion.

Night hike is a fun idea and seeing cool things fits into the Discover catergory. Perhaps a x1.5 or x2 modifier to Hiking points and the point range for discovery photos could be upped so as to accommodate rare sightings.

I addressed the hunt/trap scenario earlier in the thread. Basically avoiding working it in due to complications with local regulations and it's inability to apply universally. Same for fishing. But both could be circumvented by a participant just taking a photo of their catch and listing it as a discovery.
>>
>>946593
The monument thing is stupid. Like, Why? It serves no purpose
>>
>>946625
That girl looks like a female version of Drake lol
>>
>>947414
It is a canadian meme from s4s, but i like to pretend she is finnish.

>>947027
Like you were almost cool, then you went with lets nothurt fish and obey the law

I still think your threadisgay. Lets make very clear that swimming in cold water is deadly, and yes the coolest gay shit you can do is a night hike.

Aslo, i hate u
>>
>>945777

Can you take the challenge were you have to kill yourself. Plz op, don't fail the challenge
>>
>>946898
>just fucking go /out/

Just how is that supposed to lend itself to an authentic, true bushcrafting experience?
>>
>>946790
So if I'm on a 150 mile, three month hike where nearly all my food is caught, shot, or picked from the ground...
That's 2,970 points for walking
900 to 1,800 points for sleeping
810 to 1,620 points for eating
So I'd get an average of 1,560 to 2,130 points for each month? And it only takes 61 points per month to be a master? I think your grading system is a little off.
>>
>>949668
The other anon had posted the grading system and I was attempting to modify it and hadn't even approached the results part yet. Was gonna leave it and let whomever had most points be most awesome. However, /out/ is clearly not interested so fuck it. But you already knew that and aren't really an illiterate piece of shit right?
>>
File: 1444451142044.png (134KB, 1078x1086px) Image search: [Google]
1444451142044.png
134KB, 1078x1086px
>>946593
>Build a “monument”
and here I am thinking /out/ doesn't mean to leave shit in the nature
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.