[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make sure you dont get blisters when hiking? Also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_20170206-111033.jpg (205KB, 1104x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170206-111033.jpg
205KB, 1104x1067px
How do you make sure you dont get blisters when hiking?
Also how do you care for your hard skin/callouses?

I feel if i went hiking i would spend every other day taking care of my messed up feet.
>>
>>945460
Wear different shoes. Your footwear shouldn't give your feet trouble. Ever.
>>
>>945460
There are socks with two layers that prevent blisters by rubbing the two layers and not your feet and the socks.
>>
>>945460
No friction = no blister.

It is THAT easy.
The best way to deal with blisters is to not have them. The best way to deal with blisters once you have them is to prevent them from growing.

Check your foots twice a day, use sparadrap where you feel the fiction. talc for babie's diaper help reduce whatever friction is left and will deal with the sweat.
>>
>>945460
Socks with acrylic are supposed to prevent chaffing and blisters.

It seems to work for me I guess but my feet are calloused up enough that it doesn't really matter.
>>
Also just walk through the blisters. They're going to happen if you've never been hiking before. They'll get calloused and them problem solved.
>>
>>945460
Hike more. Eventually you'll stop getting them.
>>
>>945682
underrated post
>>
>>945460
You have to take care of your socks. They should be clean and fluffy
>No friction = no blister.
is right. But if you hike all day and wear the same socks the next day the socks will be compressed and you will have rubbing and then blisters
I bring 2 set of whatever sock setup I have, and wash one set of socks everyday
>>
I've been wearing the same two pairs of socks for the last year, three months of that time was spent traveling with no way to wash them besides wringing them out (no-soap) in creeks. This was Darn Tough socks and Brooks shoes. Quality products don't cause blisters.
>>
>>945460
I stopped hiking and have never gotten a blister since.

Do rec.
>>
>>945693
>I bring 2 set of whatever sock setup I have, and wash one set of socks everyday
This is good advice. All you need is a quart ziploc bag and a little bottle of detergent, like Dr. Bronner's or something. Insert socks and soap, add water, shake it up good, then rinse them out.
>>
wear a light acrylic sock inside a wool sock.

Never wear wet socks.

No problems

anyone here actually hike?
>>
>>945460
>walk around barefoot
>get blisters
>turn into calluses

ta da no more blisters.To care for da blisters walk around barefoot.
>>
toe sock liners under darn tough socks+ trail runners that fit correctly
>>
prevention prevention prevention!

as soon as you feel a hotspot forming put tape or moleskin or similar product on it at once
>>
>>945817
You don't really need detergent. Just like a mechanical washing machine, the main mechanism for clothes cleaning is friction
I just go to a water source and wring the socks out, bang them on some rocks, and wring them again
>>
>>945921
Thank you, Cody.
>>
>>945953
Maybe get water and do it away from the water source
>>
>>945940
this. get some tight fitting, maybe technical liner inner socks and wear thicker wool socks on the outside of these. that way you move the friction to between the two socks = no blisters unless you have horrible shoes or deformed feet
>>
>>945810

Second the Darn Toughâ„¢ socks. I literally only wear those now since because comfort and I can afford it.
>>
Make sure your shoes fit properly and are laced properly. There are different lacing techniques for for different blister problems.

Wear good socks, make sure you have a pair to wear and a pair to air. Powdering can help, too.

As for calluses, if they get to be too bad just soak your feet in warm water and buff them down with a pumice stone. I used to not pay a lot attention to my calluses until one of them split open and ulcerated on the bottom of my foot. That shit sucked hard.
>>
>>946355
>I can afford it.
I haven't worked in three years, I can't afford to replace cotton socks constantly. Darn Toughs have actually saved me money.
>>
File: Screenshot_46-56.png (721KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_46-56.png
721KB, 1080x1920px
I started getting blisters from new cheer shoes and I put 3x inch long pieces of athletic tape over it and it worked perfectly. I put it on in the morning before camp and most days I would forget it was there until I went to shower at night
>>
>>945460
if u have soft baby feet you will most likely get them from moderate to hard hiking <2miles
if ur feet move around in the shoe u might get them but mostly its posture and striking - try not to slam ur heal or smash ur foot to one side or the other, watch a video on how to walk and run properly
>>
Footwear that fits, socks that fit (I like the ones with elastic parts).
Also, idk why people recommend multiple layers of socks, I wouldn't wear that unless it was below freezing. If you move your feet won't be cold. I mostly wear regular thickness ones that have a thinner part on top of the foot. I'd avoid wool (for socks) unless it was cold, it won't be able to move the sweat fast enough (ignore this if you move slow).
>>
File: 20170125_141357.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_141357.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: 20170208_103729.jpg (4MB, 2099x3299px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_103729.jpg
4MB, 2099x3299px
>>
I wear big wool socks and have never had a problem with blisters.
>>
>>945810
what do they smell?
>>
>>946810
Wool is naturally anti-microbial, so after rinsing and wringing them a couple times, they pretty much just smell slightly of whatever watersource I used. Now that I'm home for a while, I've still been wearing them, but appliance-washing them, they smell as clean or cleaner then anything else I own.
>>
>>945460
Don't be a tenderfoot.

If you sit in front of a computer all day every day and then walk 20 miles, you're probably gonna end up with a blister or some other injury. If you're active and then hike, you'll probably be fine unless your sock and shoes situation is bad.

Also, bring moleskin, blister pads, and some sorta talc powder. Stay away from cotton socks. And get shoes that work for your foot shape.
>>
rub your feet with isopropyl alcohol everyday, it will toughen up the skin
>>
>>947811
>well...

I use isopropyl daily and can afirm it drys muh pinkies.

>harder

Maybe, drier, yes. Turns muh pink ghost white.

An isopro hand bath prior to splitting a cord might be hatd mode.
>>
>>945460
best thing is to buy shoes that fit well and are snug. if you're feeling discomfort though I highly recommend just taping over the sore area. apparently paper surgical tape is the best. The other thing is avoid cotton socks.
>>
>>945658
I could see that. Acrylic socks have a sort of smooth feel to them.
>>
>>947819
>fail

Iz da wi kin'...
>>
>>946534
I own seven pair and I'm pretty sure I'll never actually have to buy more, but jesus do those blue bastards look snazzy.
>>
>>945682
this. Harden up, anon
>>
>>948263
>true
go a couple hikes without shoes or socks, your feet will toughen up.
>>
>>945460
>if I went hiking
are you saying you've never hiked a day in your life?
>>
If your shoes fit you won't get them bad

Chances are if you're doing a big multi day hike you'll get some, but they're really not a big deal. Tape it up when you feel it start getting hot and ignore it, it's not gangrene it's a blister Jesus christ get over it
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.