[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tips and tricks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

lets share tips for more enjoyable outdoor experience.

here is my advice for staying warm at night
>thick layers under you, more bedding the better
>warm sleeping bag or two less warm sleeping bags inside each other
>use a liner bag to save ware and cleaning and also keep you more warm
>a cotton liner will give aproximately 3-4 degrees warmer, the same for silk liner but a fleece liner will give you 5-8 degrees dependent on thickness but adds more weight
>go to bed warm, full (food) and dry, change sweatunderwear
>sleep in wool underlayer and wool socks
>sleep with a wool balaclava or wool beanie and or a scarf/buff/neckerchief because 80% of heatloss in a lseeping bag is the neck/face/head
>sinch the face opening of the sleeping bag
>fill waterbottles with hot water and put them in your bag with a wool sock over them
>only dry socks in a sleepingingbag too much damp cloths and your bodyheat will not dry them
>place damp clothes under your sleeping bag between your matt, this will give extra insulation from the ground and dry them out a bit until morning
>if your feet a very cold empty your backpack or fill it with dry spare clothes and stick the bottom of your sleeping bag into you backpack
>if you need to pee, GET UP AND PEE, your body uses a lot of energy(physically and mentally) keeping the piss inside you warm, you dont need that energy use and it could be better used keeping you warm longer
>do push-ups, crunches while inside your sleeping bag but not so much that you start to sweat, this will kickstart your heat
>use earplugs if your are in a tent with a lot of people or the forest is making spoopy noises

hope this helps someone out there

feel free to share your tips and tricks in this thread! we can all use a little learning!
>>
File: IMG_9532.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_9532.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>944867
Bic lighters might be easy to use, but with a good ferro rod you can sharpen you're knife and start fires at the same time!
>>
>>944869
thank you for that quality post friend
>>
File: IMG_1617.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_1617.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>944880
No problem. I just don't want anons wasting their time
>>
>>944867
>go to bed warm, full (food)
expanding on that, full of lots of fats (salami, olive oil, butter, etc.) will keep you warmer than just carbs or protein.
>>
>>944889
good point. guess fibre would be good too
>>
When I go to sleep while out I keep a wooly scarf and hat by my head. That way when I wake up from the cold at four in the morning I can put them on and feel warm again.

Also thermal long Johns under my trousers while sleeping are good.
>>
get plastic drip bottles for cooking oil. great for dosing and keeping
>>
not sweating is literally the best advice for not getting cold
>>
Any advice for dealing with bugs and mosquitoes? I use bugspray and deet but was wondering if theres anything better
>>
File: bug bucket.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
bug bucket.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>944974
or bug bucket. finest mesh i could find. black mesh is easiest to see through.
>>
>>944974
what kind of bugs? are you moving or mostly stationary ( camp) ?
>>
>>944867
Fat guy here
275, 6'3"
Inflatable mattress
2 sleeping bags, 1 to lie on, 1 to use as a blanket
No hat, no socks, silk long johns
Mostly a fall and winter backpacker, some spring
Never cold, usually end up out of the bag
With enough natural insulation, I actually warm the tent with my own body heat
GF says she enjoys me being a radiator
>>
>>944994
I guess both moving and camp. I just moved to eastern washington so im not sure how bad mosquitoes are but they killed me in mass. Those are my main concern. Other creepy crawlers i csn deal with
>>
>>945247
hmm.

avoid being near stagnant pools of water
exteriment with different brands of bug repelent

thats really all the advice i can give you .. maybe some other anon has more?
>>
>>944867
>body uses energy keeping piss inside you warm

Nice meme. It doesn't work like water cooling in an autismo gaming computer because the piss does not cycle through an insulated area to cool. The piss is just warm because its inside you. It doesn't cool you down just because its a liquid, just like blood doesn't inherently cool you down because its a liquid. Your body doesn't go 'uh oh looks like my piss is cooling off, better warm it up'. The piss is just there. There is no reason for your body to magically conserve heat better by pissing. You lose heat through surface area of your skin.

However, getting up and peeing does make you lose body heat by exposing skin. Your body makes up for this by increasing heat production temporarily, making you warmer immediately after but its not because you're pissing, its because you're exposing yourself to the cold briefly.
>>
>>944867
>keeping the piss inside you warm
No... Heat doesn't just mysteriously disappear, if the urine were to lose heat, it would lose it to the surrounding body tissue.

That said, it's far more comfortable to relocate that urine to an empty gatorade bottle, and slip the warm bottle down next to your cold feet.

>>944974
Garlic. Allicin repels most blood-eaters.

>>945247
Spokane river, especially by high-bridge park has ticks. That, my fellow washingtonian, is precisely why I advocate garlic.

>>944867
Let's see... Disposable paper cups are ideal for rehydrating stickier foods like oatmeal if you prefer to not wash dishes in potentially contaminated water.

Usnea and Mullien both make excellent TP substitutes, individually or especially consecutively. These both grow more or less everywhere.

BIC lighters contain a ferrocerium rod, a steel striker, and a butane excelerant and can be operated one-handed. Use them.

Everything relating to gear is situational; no one piece of gear is always the best. That's why I own six different backpacks.

Never trust the word of someone who can profit from giving you bad advice. A common example of this is when a salesman tells you that a titanium pot will save you an ounce of carry weight, but neglects to tell you that the thermal conductivity of titanium is so low you'll have to carry an extra ten ounces of fuel.

Hand sanitizer makes an awesome fire-starter. If you're too cheap to buy hand sanitizer, you can make it by crushing up chalk, eggshells or antacids, then adding vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

A bottle cap with a bit of cotton or jute and some cheese wax will burn for 5-10 minutes, plenty to start a fire or mark your way back to your tent if you get up to pee.

If you run away, you're acting like food, bears eat food; If you charge, you're acting like a threat, bears kill threats; if you smile and wave, you're acting like a friendly neighbor, bears are very private and try to avoid friendly neighbors.
>>
>>945247
In most parts of Idaho and eastern Oregon and Washington there are no mosquitoes or only a few at dawn or dusk. It's quite glorious compared to the east cost
>>
>>945373
I'm not disputing that there may be fewer mosquitoes, but I've camped extensively in all those states and dealt with huge mosquito problems, in particular near Usk (just west of the panhandle) there's a lot of lakes and a very slow moving river and that entire area is typically swarmed by the bloodsuckers.
>>
>>944867
silk liner adds roughly 9 degrees
Flannel/Fleece adds 12 degrees
Silk is 4oz
Flannel/Fleece is 12 oz
>>
>>944867
>sleep in wool underlayer and wool socks
Thermal Baselayer of some synthetic material with Wool on top is the only option.
We sweat at night whether we like it or not, and a wool underlayer will absorb that moisture, and reduce it's insulation ability.
>>
>>944867
>sleep with a wool balaclava or wool beanie and or a scarf/buff/neckerchief because 80% of heatloss in a lseeping bag is the neck/face/head

Most bags are rated with a EN rating, which is based off of a thermal layer with a hat. Without it, one needs to add quite a few degrees on their EN Rated bag, because it won't be "comfortable" at the temp they buy.
>>
>>944867
>>use earplugs if your are in a tent with a lot of people or the forest is making spoopy noises

Best way to die.
Honestly.
We are ingrained with the ability to be awoken if something sketch is around us - use it.
I've woken up to other campers within earshot of camp, and remained on guard until they left. The last thing I would want is to have been completely fucking deaf in the case they break into the tent.
>>
>>944974
You need 100% DEET and a No-See-Um mesh for your tent. A mosquito net allows those little fuckers to hop right through it and end up biting the ever living fuck out of you in the morning.
>>
>>945393
I agree with this completely. Nature is only safe if you respect its dangers.

>>945396
>Soak yourself with poison! That's the only way to avoid minor discomfort!

Garlic. Seriously.
>>
Carry some picket lint, or lint from your dryer - It weighs virtually nothing and is an EXCELLENT form of tinder.
>>
>>945397
>minor discomfort

Nah. You don't know the pain of being genetically delicious to swarms of hungry late afternoon Everglades Mosquitoes.
>>
>>945397
[ Minor Discomfort Intensifies ]
>>
>>945401
>genetically delicious
That's a myth. they do have preferences, but it's based on your diet; I'm guessing you consume a bit more sugar than the people you camp with? Again, garlic. It won't repel them completely, but it will definitely make them prefer your camp-mates over you.

>>945402
I'm an open-bivvy sleeper. And obviously I don't use DEET. So obviously, something I do must work...
>>
>>945415
>As a whole, underlying genetic factors are estimated to account for 85 percent of the variability between people in their attractiveness to mosquitoes—regardless of whether it’s expressed through blood type, metabolism, or other factors.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more-than-others-10255934/

But it is genetics anon...
>>
>>945415

Nah look it up. Proven fact.
I'm /fit/ turned /out/ once I found a gf - fell in love with it. Also realized I'm walking bait for buzzers and she isn't, even though we eat the same food. I'm normally hotter than her, and probably exhale more CO2, but those are both factors I can't affect; I.E. Genetic.

>>945417
Thanks for that
>>
>>945417
>>945421
I'll grant that the study I had read was almost certainly older than 2013, so genetic factors takes the win. However, I'm still asserting that allicin can over-ride this preference behavior. As a type-O blood type that had frequent mosquito issues in the past, and that having stopped once I started consuming garlic regularly, there's little else to attribute it to.
>>
tieng a bail of wire around the lip of you bottle makes it easier to get in and out of backpack sidepockets without stopping walking
>>
drink water throughout the day but not in big gulps
>>
>>945017
God bless your mortal soul.
>>
>>945247
burn a big fire, camp when/where it's windy

>>945262
it's weird though, even taking a dump makes me noticeably warmer afterwards
>>
File: 26-768_xl_1.jpg (108KB, 1192x950px) Image search: [Google]
26-768_xl_1.jpg
108KB, 1192x950px
>>944867
cheap shelter alert! these two items and some rope makes for a bomb proof lightweight combination that will withstand arctic storms. get yours today and leave the trees in peace you bushcrafting faggots
>>
>>946001
Stop buy plastics and using fossil fuels you virtue signaling twat
>>
>>946001
this same thing can be done with a pebble and the rope, that thing is completely useless
>>
>>946048
better stop using the computer also then faggot
>>946053
yes of course, but it will be heavier and more cumbersome. only armchair survivalists would think a cheap, solid tarp is useless
>>
>>946540
No one said the tarp was useless, you twat. Meme-tastic grommet tool is useless.
>>
eating more
>means shitting more
drinking more
>meand peeing more

this may seem simple but if a person is not used to /out/ing how much it matters may come as a chock
>>
>>944955
I never understood the whole sweating thing. If you're sweating, that means your body is hot so you should take off layers till you cool down. What retards start sweating in their winter jacket and just keep on hiking?
>>
>>950334
dumbies
>>
>>946540
how are pebbles heavy if your picking them up off the ground? also if you for whatever reason had to pick up some pebbles and found it impeding on your journey you shouldn't be /out/
>>
>>945393
Besides, being woken up by sounds gets easier after a few days. The first night is always the hardest to adjust to, but it gets much better.
>>
>>944974
Scented dryer sheets help imo. One of the only lifehacks I've tried that works
>>
>>946540
Unlike you I know that environmentalism is a mental disorder so I just do what I want and chuckle
>>
>>945389
Try merino wool
>>
>>945262
t. someone who has never been camping
>>
>>945262
You're wrong.
>>
>>955564
I read that three times and don't see where he's wrong. My guess is that you're not smart enough to comprehend it.
>>
fill your water bottle with hot water and keep it at the foot end of your sleeping bag

it doubles as a morning drink of water as well
>>
>>945262

ok no

your body's metabolism puts out X energy to keep your warm blooded mammal self alive

the environment takes Y heat energy away from you because the temperature around your body is less than your body temperature

creating a larger heat sink in your body by having a bladder full of liquid doesn't help you keep warm once Y exceeds X at 2am in the morning

it's common knowledge and common sense
>>
bring more toiletpaper than you need and have it double bagged in plastic.
wet toiletpaper is the worst.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.