[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ginseng Growers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: ginseng.jpg (501KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
ginseng.jpg
501KB, 1000x800px
Has anyone tried their hand at growing american or asian ginseng?

I am considering buying some seeds and roots and trying my hand at cultivating it. I scoured the green space around my town, but haven't found a single plant. It seems kinda lame to have to buy the plants myself, when finding your own wild ones is half the fun, but I just can't find any.
>>
>>944569
Damn ginseng looks like some crazy aquatic creature
>>
>>944608
Reminds me of what they put in Neo's stomach
>>
Ginseng that's worth any money takes years to grow. Not one or two, ten or twenty. Five year plants are the smallest you can legally dig in here in WI. Cultivated ginseng is worth considerably less than wild ginseng, and buyers can tell just by looking at it. To get the most bang for your buck, you have to put it in the ground and just let it grow, no fertilizer or anything.

What state are you in? Ginseng is really hard to find. I didn't find anything last year, and I was in good spots.
>>
>>946305
I thought it might be a good idea to add that depending on your state, harvesting ginseng on public lands may be illegal and you may need a license. Check your state laws.
>>
>>944569
see
>>944669
>>
>>944569
It's farmed all over in northern Wisconsin
>>
>>946305
I'm in Ontario Canada, just outside Toronto (I do most of my foraging close to the town of Whitby, which has a lot of green space).
>>
>>947623
From a quick look at the area on Google Maps terrain, Glen Major Forest and Walker Woods may be good. What kind of woods are you digging in? Ginseng likes to grow under maple and popple on the north sides of hills. If you're on flat land, you probably won't find much.
>>
>>947789
desu I haven't been paying close attention to the species of trees. I recognize maples and oaks, but other than that I don't know much about tree IDing. Probably something I should learn.

I also don't really want to dig up wild stuff, I've heard that the demand for it has caused it to nearly disappear, and don't want to contribute to that.
>>
>>947794
Unsustainable harvest practices caused it to disappear, just replant the berries.

Pic related is from Foxfire vol. 3. It's available as a PDF online and the series is pretty /out/. The picture is a ginseng box.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.